Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WMS renovations

Started by factchecker, May 11, 2017, 07:43:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

riccoar

Except Alltel/Verizon is in North Little Rock.  All the good venues moved across the river.  But LR has an awesome river rail that runs empty everyday.

Quote from: theFlyingHog on May 17, 2017, 04:54:30 am
Concerts in Verizon suck. The sound in there is godawful
Truest thing on this thread.

Guns N Roses coming to WMS this summer.

hawganatic

Quote from: factchecker on May 18, 2017, 12:47:35 pm

2.  Nobody is scared of central Arkansas Razorback fans becoming vindictive.  You weren't much of a fan if you turn your back on the Hogs because

So is the inverse of this true also?  Is somebody who refuses to go to games at WMS out of protest not "much of a fan?"

GuvHog

Quote from: factchecker on May 17, 2017, 04:53:42 pm
Are only central Arkansans paying taxes to fund the renovations?

I heard twice as many people bitching about Razorback Stadium renovations.  The major difference is that the renovations on campus are self funded (RF donations, ticket purchases, and SEC $) and don't rely on tax money.

True but what you're forgetting is that Millions in tax money was spent to make NWA more accessible to the rest of the state. If I-540 had not been built from I-40 to Fayetteville, RRS would still be just a 49,000 seat stadium so tax money did make the renovations to DWRRS possible even though no tax money was used in the renovation itself.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hawganatic

Quote from: GuvHog on May 25, 2017, 09:45:20 am
True but what you're forgetting is that Millions in tax money was spent to make NWA more accessible to the rest of the state. If I-540 had not been built from I-40 to Fayetteville, RRS would still be just a 49,000 seat stadium so tax money did make the renovations to DWRRS possible even though no tax money was used in the renovation itself.

You seriously think I-540 was built specifically so Razorback fans could go to more games in Fayetteville?

hawganatic

Quote from: Karma on May 25, 2017, 09:23:28 am

Wow, they're playing there Aug 5.  Actually thought you were making a bad joke about concerts at WMS here. 

Saw them at Cowboys Stadium last summer.  When they played their old stuff it was great, but they played A LOT of newer stuff I could have gone without.  Cowboys, errrrr, AT&T Stadium is a horrible concert venue also.  Had some of the higher priced tickets and still couldn't see a lot.  Just too big to do a good show in.

ricepig

Quote from: hawganatic on May 25, 2017, 09:52:11 am
You seriously think I-540 was built specifically so Razorback fans could go to more games in Fayetteville?

You know, I bet money that he does. It wouldn't have anything to do with Wal-Mart, Tyson, or JB Hunt being up the road........

goodguytex

I540 was built mostly probably because of Walmart. That and trying to connect Canada to southern Louisiana. Which Arkansas still has dropped the ball on by not getting I-49 finished.

GuvHog

No, it was built to make NWA more accessible to the rest of the state. NWA has grown immensely since I-540 opened. It's construction was a gold mine for the University of Arkansas. If that highway did not exist, RRS would still be just a 49,000 seat stadium. Frank Broyles had a vision for the future of Razorback Stadium and realized what was possible with the coming of I-540.

Quote from: hawganatic on May 25, 2017, 09:56:15 am
Wow, they're playing there Aug 5.  Actually thought you were making a bad joke about concerts at WMS here. 

Saw them at Cowboys Stadium last summer.  When they played their old stuff it was great, but they played A LOT of newer stuff I could have gone without.  Cowboys, errrrr, AT&T Stadium is a horrible concert venue also.  Had some of the higher priced tickets and still couldn't see a lot.  Just too big to do a good show in.
Sturgill Simpson is opening, and he's great. But being outside in the middle of tens of thousands of people in August doesn't really sound like that much fun.

GNR does the exact same setlist every night. Seems odd.

LZH

Quote from: hawganatic on May 25, 2017, 09:56:15 am

The old Barton Coliseum was a killer place for concerts....kind of intimate and the sound was good. Memorial Coliseum in Jackson is, too.

hawganatic

Quote from: Karma on May 25, 2017, 10:15:31 am
Sturgill Simpson is opening, and he's great. But being outside in the middle of tens of thousands of people in August doesn't really sound like that much fun.

Yeah they played for almost three hours.  They sprinkled in their classic stuff like Nighttrain and It's So Easy (two of my favorites) through the set list, with a lot of songs that I didn't really care to hear in between.   I want to say they ended with Paradise City, which was awesome, but my memory from that night got slightly "impaired."

I'll probably go just because, but the Aug, outside, and tens of thousands part doesn't sound fun...

goodguytex

Quote from: GuvHog on May 25, 2017, 10:02:56 am
No, it was built to make NWA more accessible to the rest of the state. NWA has grown immensely since I-540 opened. It's construction was a gold mine for the University of Arkansas. If that highway did not exist, RRS would still be just a 49,000 seat stadium. Frank Broyles had a vision for the future of Razorback Stadium and realized what was possible with the coming of I-540.
Guv, as much as I despise Walmart, they came first, grew, got big, went global before 540 was what it is now. Tyson was there too, JB Hunt was too.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Karma on May 19, 2017, 09:01:38 am
Truest thing on this thread.

Agreed. Horrible acoustics.

1highhog

You gotta be kidding me?  I would not think GnR would come close to selling out a 10,000 seat arena, much less a 55,000 Stadium.

razorcash2

They'll probably blow it down.

GuvHog

Quote from: goodguytex on May 25, 2017, 11:24:17 am
Guv, as much as I despise Walmart, they came first, grew, got big, went global before 540 was what it is now. Tyson was there too, JB Hunt was too.

Oh, I 100% agree with that. My point is that NWA has grown immensely since the opening of I-540 and the U of A has greatly benefitted from it too.

hawganatic

Quote from: 1highhog on May 25, 2017, 11:42:31 am
You gotta be kidding me?  I would not think GnR would come close to selling out a 10,000 seat arena, much less a 55,000 Stadium.

You'd be pretty wrong if this is what you thought.  Here's a page that lists attendance at some of their previous dates since they started touring again last year.

Dodger Stadium:  84,634
AT&T Stadium:  39,015
Metlife Stadium:  100,177
Solider Field:  82,172
Gillette Stadium:  65,472

http://www.theprp.com/2016/09/07/news/earnings-attendance-guns-n-roses-metallica-deftones-etc-shows/

LZH

Quote from: 1highhog on May 25, 2017, 11:42:31 am

Ikr? It ain't G&R without Slash....I don't care how good Buckethead is.

Add: Slash may be back with Axl....I dunno. If so, I may have to take that one in.

goodguytex

Quote from: hawganatic on May 25, 2017, 12:31:40 pm
You'd be pretty wrong if this is what you thought.  Here's a page that lists attendance at some of their previous dates since they started touring again last year.

Dodger Stadium:  84,634
AT&T Stadium:  39,015
Metlife Stadium:  100,177
Solider Field:  82,172
Gillette Stadium:  65,472

http://www.theprp.com/2016/09/07/news/earnings-attendance-guns-n-roses-metallica-deftones-etc-shows/
GNR are still a pretty big deal to many in the 45-55 crowd, and some bikers in that age group. A good friend of mine travelled with some friends from Texarkana to Nebraska to go see poison and Def leapard last night. Not exactly my thing, but I can understand the appeal to people that grew up with that music. 

factchecker

Quote from: goodguytex on May 25, 2017, 10:00:19 am
I540 was built mostly probably because of Walmart. That and trying to connect Canada to southern Louisiana. Which Arkansas still has dropped the ball on by not getting I-49 finished.

Too busy blowing money taking multiple attempts to blow up a bridge in little rock.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on May 25, 2017, 12:59:47 pm
Too busy blowing money taking multiple attempts to blow up a bridge in little rock.

Of course, you know the contractor was responsible for that.......

factchecker

Quote from: hawganatic on May 25, 2017, 09:41:54 am
So is the inverse of this true also?  Is somebody who refuses to go to games at WMS out of protest not "much of a fan?"

I don't know of a single person who claims they'll turn their back on the Hogs and root for another team if we play WMS.

I've heard plenty of that from the limp wristed, thin skinned, snowflake fans of WMS.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: GuvHog on May 25, 2017, 09:45:20 am

Quote from: GuvHog on May 25, 2017, 10:02:56 am
No, it was built to make NWA more accessible to the rest of the state.

I-540 was built because Wal-Mart, Tyson, J.B. Hunt etc.

Connecting NWA to the rest of the state was a byproduct of trying to connect to other states.

Unlike Little Rock, NWA doesn't turn away fortune 500 companies that want to set up shop..... Fed-Ex.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GuvHog

Quote from: factchecker on May 25, 2017, 01:11:12 pm
1. I-540 was built because Wal-Mart, Tyson, J.B. Hunt etc.

2. Connecting NWA to the rest of the state was a byproduct of trying to connect to other states.

3. Unlike Little Rock, NWA doesn't turn away fortune 500 companies that want to set up shop..... Fed-Ex.

1. They were a big part of the reason, I agree.

2. No it was not. It was built to make NWA more accessible to the rest of the state and to give the businesses you mentioned a 4 lane connection to I-40.

3. At least FedEx considered Little Rock. They never even batted an eyelash at NWA.

factchecker

Quote from: GuvHog on May 25, 2017, 01:40:49 pm
3. At least FedEx considered Little Rock. They never even batted an eyelash at NWA.

Love the little rock moral victory.  Let that same discussion happen today and they will vomit thinking about Little Rock.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GuvHog

Quote from: factchecker on May 25, 2017, 01:41:47 pm
Love the little rock moral victory.  Let that same discussion happen today and they will vomit thinking about Little Rock.

Not a moral victory. Little Rock has a lot of problems and has made some serious mistakes due to local leadership ignorance.

I happen to like NWA and enjoy visiting there when I get the chance. That Foghorn's next to Baum Stadium is a nice place.

Sweet Feet

I hope UALR starts a football program. Would be great for the Stadium and the city

factchecker

Quote from: GuvHog on May 25, 2017, 01:49:46 pm
Not a moral victory. Little Rock has a lot of problems and has made some serious mistakes due to local leadership ignorance.

I happen to like NWA and enjoy visiting there when I get the chance. That Foghorn's next to Baum Stadium is a nice place.

Cool.

Regardless of how I feel about Little Rock I'll be at the game come August 31st.  There will be 4 of us from NWA, 5 from Texas, and 2 from Hot Springs.  The majority of family and friends will be at the game no matter where we play.  No t-shirters or fair-weathers in my group.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: Sweet Feet on May 25, 2017, 01:58:15 pm
I hope UALR starts a football program. Would be great for the Stadium and the city

I agree.

Hopefully trojan fans help them become self-sufficient vs. stealing money from students and relying on government subsidies.  Maybe WMS will be nice and not charge the trojans to play there unlike they do with the Hogs.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hawg414

Quote from: factchecker on May 25, 2017, 01:01:20 pm
I don't know of a single person who claims they'll turn their back on the Hogs and root for another team if we play WMS.

I've heard plenty of that from the limp wristed, thin skinned, snowflake fans of WMS.

its not the no games in WMS that will turn people away.  its the lack of appreciation, and growing condescension, from a large chunk of people up in the left corner with a false sense of superiority that will turn people away.

311Hog

Quote from: Hawg414 on May 25, 2017, 02:01:37 pm
its not the no games in WMS that will turn people away.  its the lack of appreciation, and growing condescension, from a large chunk of people up in the left corner with a false sense of superiority that will turn people away.

lol appreciation? what should people appreciate you for? condescension? please.  people act like they are owed something from the University of Arkansas. News flash you aren't.

GuvHog

Interesting. Most of the people I talk to down here seem to be okay with moving all of the Hog home games to Fayetteville. It's a no brainer to me.

factchecker

Quote from: GuvHog on May 25, 2017, 02:16:34 pm
Interesting. Most of the people I talk to down here seem to be okay with moving all of the Hog home games to Fayetteville. It's a no brainer to me.

Did those fans say they would turn their back if we didn't move all the games to Fayetteville?  I haven't heard/read one person say that.  I've seen the exact opposite from SOME little rock fans.

The funny thing is that I really don't mind playing WMS.  I appreciate the history behind the stadium.  I've stated that I'm glad WMS is working to improve facilities although I think spending tax money on a big screen is wasteful.  I just find it funny that little rock fans bitch about the self sufficient Razorbacks improving/expanding while being ok with tax money supporting WMS.  The same fans have no problem with the trojans taking money from students and living off of subsidies.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Quote from: LZH on May 25, 2017, 12:56:52 pm
Ikr? It ain't G&R without Slash....I don't care how good Buckethead is.

Add: Slash may be back with Axl....I dunno. If so, I may have to take that one in.
Slash and Axl are both on tour together.  Don't sleep on Sturgill Simpson either.

GuvHog

Quote from: factchecker on May 25, 2017, 02:18:58 pm
Did those fans say they would turn their back if we didn't move all the games to Fayetteville?  I haven't heard/read one person say that.  I've seen the exact opposite from SOME little rock fans.

The funny thing is that I really don't mind playing WMS.  I appreciate the history behind the stadium.  I've stated that I'm glad WMS is working to improve facilities although I think spending tax money on a big screen is wasteful.  I just find it funny that little rock fans bitch about the self sufficient Razorbacks improving/expanding while being ok with tax money supporting WMS.  The same fans have no problem with the trojans taking money from students and living off of subsidies.

No, I've never heard any fan say that they would turn their backs on the Hogs if they didn't move all games to Fayetteville. I haven't lately heard any fans say they would turn their backs on the Hogs if all game were moved to Fayetteville either.

Now back in the late 90's there were some who threatened to turn their backs on the Hogs if games were moved to Fayetteville but that blew over pretty quickly. Seems like now days most everyone accepts the fact that it will happen and they're okay with it.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on May 25, 2017, 02:16:34 pm

It's pretty much a no brainer to everyone, but most here never miss a chance to take a shot at the venue or city that built the program before they were born and before anyone ever heard of Sam Walton
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Karma on May 25, 2017, 10:15:31 am

Sturgill Simpson is worth seeing.  Guns n Roses I don't get in a stadium.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 25, 2017, 05:39:52 pm
It's pretty much a no brainer to everyone, but most here never miss a chance to take a shot at the venue or city that built the program before they were born and before anyone ever heard of Sam Walton

That venue and city you have such fond memories of no longer exists. Folks are not criticizing the past, but the present is unpalatable for fans of a P5 program.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

GuvHog

Quote from: sowmonella on May 25, 2017, 04:37:44 pm
;)

That's basically what they did to the west side of DWRRS.

LZH

Quote from: Karma on May 25, 2017, 02:32:07 pm
Slash and Axl are both on tour together.  Don't sleep on Sturgill Simpson either.

Yeah I'll be in LR on Aug 5....aready looking at tickets. Talked to my daughter and asked if she wanted to fly down and go to the G&R show in Miami the 8th (my birthday), but she wants to see a show in WMS. Saw them about 26 years ago - funfun.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 25, 2017, 05:55:07 pm
That venue and city you have such fond memories of no longer exists. Folks are not criticizing the past, but the present is unpalatable for fans of a P5 program.

Eat me

hawganatic

No but refusing to go to a game because of where it is being played ISN'T supporting the team.  You're either supporting the team or you're not.

And you can take your childish and immature insults back to the playground.  This is a grown up conversation.

factchecker

Quote from: hawganatic on May 25, 2017, 10:19:18 pm
No but refusing to go to a game because of where it is being played ISN'T supporting the team.  You're either supporting the team or you're not.

Who is refusing to go to little rock? I'll be at the Razorback game August 31st.  Will you?

Quote from: hawganatic on May 25, 2017, 10:19:18 pm
And you can take your childish and immature insults back to the playground.  This is a grown up conversation.

Yeah..... sounds like it:

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 25, 2017, 09:50:28 pm
Eat me
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawganatic

Quote from: factchecker on May 25, 2017, 10:36:08 pm
Who is refusing to go to little rock? I'll be at the Razorback game August 31st.  Will you?

Yeah..... sounds like it:

Whether you or I go to the game isn't the point.  There are plenty of people who have made it clear they won't ever go to another game in Little Rock.  These are people that put their own preference over supporting the team.

I'll ask my original question again since, like 90% of the people that post on this topic,  you have lost focus and started hurling childish insults.  If somebody isn't "much of a fan" for not supporting the Razorbacks when they stop playing in Little Rock, then are the people who refuse to support the Razorbacks when they do play in Little Rock in the same category?

factchecker

Quote from: hawganatic on May 25, 2017, 10:49:37 pm
Whether you or I go to the game isn't the point.  There are plenty of people who have made it clear they won't ever go to another game in Little Rock.  These are people that put their own preference over supporting the team.

I'll ask my original question again since, like 90% of the people that post on this topic,  you have lost focus and started hurling childish insults.  If somebody isn't "much of a fan" for not supporting the Razorbacks when they stop playing in Little Rock, then are the people who refuse to support the Razorbacks when they do play in Little Rock in the same category?

You don't have to attend games to be a fan.  Some people don't have the funds, health, or means to attend games.  However, you are not much of a fan if you get your feelings hurt and quit being a fan because a team doesn't play in a certain venue.  If someone chooses to not attend games in Fayetteville or Little Rock but still cheer for and want the Razorbacks to do well then they are still fans.  IF the fan switches their favorite team because they don't like where the team plays then they were nothing more than a t-shirt fan in the first place.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawganatic

Quote from: factchecker on May 25, 2017, 10:58:08 pm
You don't have attend games to be a fan.  Some people don't have the funds, health, or means to attend games.  However, you are not much of a fan if you get your feelings hurt and quit being a fan because a team doesn't play in a certain venue.  If someone chooses to not attend games in Fayetteville or Little Rock but still cheer for and want the Razorbacks to do well then they are still fans.  IF the fan switches their favorite team because they don't like where the team plays then they were nothing more than a t-shirt fan in the first place.

I'm not talking about the fans that don't have the funds, health, or means to attend games.  I'm talking about the fans that explicitly state I will not go to a game if it's played in Little Rock.   There have been plenty on this board that have made that clear.   Are you calling these fans t-shirt fans also?

I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I've seen somebody post they would stop being a Razorback fan if games aren't played in Little Rock.  What I have seen posted many times is how somebody's first memory of Razorback football was a game in Little Rock and that is how they became a fan, and they are afraid that kids now aren't going to have that same experience or attachment to the team because of it.  Do you disagree with that line of thought?

LZH

Quote from: hawganatic on May 25, 2017, 11:06:11 pm
What I have seen posted many times is how somebody's first memory of Razorback football was a game in Little Rock and that is how they became a fan, and they are afraid that kids now aren't going to have that same experience or attachment to the team because of it.

True dat....