Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

QB Guru Ken Mastrole "Bright future for Allen & AR"

Started by jcbville, April 07, 2017, 02:09:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: HamSammich on April 21, 2017, 09:37:41 pm
Tough guy approach there huh? Want to know 10 qbs that have better stats being hit more that AA during a season? No of course you don't....

And yes you are right when things get bad bark at the team.

Natural looks or full-on drama, Maybelline is simply the best mascara. ...  Get you some, drama Queen.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: HamSammich on April 21, 2017, 08:48:46 pm
look several people have called me out on my opinion... and its just my opinion.

Yes CBB and CDE style is very very very veeerrrryyyyyyy qb friendly. They are required maybe 2 times a game to make difficult throws. Throws that elite QBs would consider simple.

I love our system... I like our coaches... but our current qb checked out of a few games last year and alienated his offense with his demeanor after being hit. ... AND THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION. I'm not bad mouthing a player. We went as far as the allen family could take us and CBB will have to choke on a 7win season next year with a win over bama.

just my opinion.

I rest my opinion case.
Here, let me help.

You are right.  It is your opinion and you are entirely entitled to it. 

Just like I, and the many, many others like me are entitled to our opinions that your opinion is jaw-droppingly, pants-on-head, retarded.

I mean, it's just my opinion.  Right?
All Gas, No Brakes!

factchecker

I'm having a hard time finding individual stats on hurries/pressures for every quarterback collegiality.  I found this tidbit from PFF-College rankings of quarterbacks after week 8:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-football-top-10-qbs-through-week-8/

Quote9. Austin Allen, Arkansas Razorbacks
Stat to know: Allen has been pressured on 46.4 percent of dropbacks, the highest rate in the nation

Allen has seemingly been under the heat of opponents' pass rushes all season long, most notably in the Razorbacks' loss to Alabama, during which he was under pressure on 69 percent of his dropbacks. But he has managed to play remarkably well despite this, and has excelled as a downfield thrower on his way to being one of the highest-graded QBs in the country, with his rate of yards coming in the air (63 percent) being the second-highest in the Power-5.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

Quote from: factchecker on April 21, 2017, 10:53:01 pm
I'm having a hard time finding individual stats on hurries/pressures for every quarterback collegiality.  I found this tidbit from PFF-College rankings of quarterbacks after week 8:

It's those exact kind of statements that lead me to believe this guy is a performance artist. He just can't believe the dumb things he comes up with.

HogHomer

I'm pretty sure I've seen AA make some NFL throws. The bama games comes to mind. It's okay to admit you don't understand our system but don't come here with the BS that "Elite" QB find our difficult throws easy. We may have some basic concepts but to think our entire playbook is more basic than most other D-1 colleges is ignorant.

southeasthog

Quote from: factchecker on April 21, 2017, 10:53:01 pm

HamSammich was like

factchecker

Quote from: HogHomer on April 22, 2017, 01:52:21 am
I'm pretty sure I've seen AA make some NFL throws. The bama games comes to mind. It's okay to admit you don't understand our system but don't come here with the BS that "Elite" QB find our difficult throws easy. We may have some basic concepts but to think our entire playbook is more basic than most other D-1 colleges is ignorant.

The pass to Sprinkle vs. TCU is another example of a great throw:

Skip to 1:05 (or enjoy the whole clip). Great ball placement.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

gmarv

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 21, 2017, 10:40:50 pm
Here, let me help.

You are right.  It is your opinion and you are entirely entitled to it. 

Just like I, and the many, many others like me are entitled to our opinions that your opinion is jaw-droppingly, pants-on-head, retarded.

I mean, it's just my opinion and mine.  Right?

Hawgar The Horrible

There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

bennyl08

Quote from: HamSammich on April 21, 2017, 08:48:46 pm
look several people have called me out on my opinion... and its just my opinion.

Yes CBB and CDE style is very very very veeerrrryyyyyyy qb friendly. They are required maybe 2 times a game to make difficult throws. Throws that elite QBs would consider simple.

I love our system... I like our coaches... but our current qb checked out of a few games last year and alienated his offense with his demeanor after being hit. ... AND THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION. I'm not bad mouthing a player. We went as far as the allen family could take us and CBB will have to choke on a 7win season next year with a win over bama.

just my opinion.

I rest my opinion case.

I'd love to see some stats you claim to have and or tape to provide evidence for your opinion case.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

jcbville

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 23, 2017, 03:25:09 pm
I'd love to see some stats you claim to have and or tape to provide evidence for your opinion case.

He's been hit with actual facts as to why he's wrong but he provides nothing and just says "I'm right". Actual facts are of little interest as far as I can tell and as illustrated by that statement. It's the classic juvenile argument of "Nuh Uh". Big hit and very persuasive with the 8 year old population I'm sure, but unfortunately for him with the grown ups it's lacking.

HamSammich

lol tough arguments... you fellas win... the allens were the saviors of hog football.

wildhogman

Quote from: HamSammich on April 23, 2017, 08:04:34 pm
lol tough arguments... you fellas win... the allens were the saviors of hog football.
Maybe not saviors, but they are some pretty good QB's.  Isnt Brandon getting a pretty good pay check from an NFL team? Now the NFL aint perfect, but I don't think they keep a useless player on pay roll for very long. 
We run a pro style offense, don't you want a QB running it that lands in the NFL and stays for several years?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: wildhogman on April 23, 2017, 09:47:21 pm
Maybe not saviors, but they are some pretty good QB's.  Isnt Brandon getting a pretty good pay check from an NFL team? Now the NFL aint perfect, but I don't think they keep a useless player on pay roll for very long. 
We run a pro style offense, don't you want a QB running it that lands in the NFL and stays for several years?
He's only there because his daddy's on staff with the Razorbacks...
All Gas, No Brakes!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: HamSammich on April 23, 2017, 08:04:34 pm

Hyperbolic responses are for the weak of mind. Glad ya joined the team!  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

GuvHog

Quote from: wildhogman on April 23, 2017, 09:47:21 pm

Agreed, the Allens are some pretty good QBs but Ryan Mallett, they aren't. There is one on the roster who has the potential to be as good as Ryan was but quicker and more mobile. He'll get his shot to be the #1 QB next spring and summer but this year is Austin Allen's year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bennyl08

Quote from: GuvHog on April 24, 2017, 01:02:21 pm
Agreed, the Allens are some pretty good QBs but Ryan Mallett, they aren't. There is one on the roster who has the potential to be as good as Ryan was but quicker and more mobile. He'll get his shot to be the #1 QB next spring and summer but this year is Austin Allen's year.

Kelley isn't that quick/athletic. His 40 time is reported between 4.9 and 5.0. He did compete in Nike's "The Opening" but I can't find the official results. However, several places report the 4.9 with Davenport reporting the 5.0. Mallett officially ran his pro day combine in the 5.3's so 5.0 is more mobile, but I bet that 5.3 was the first time Mallett had ran a forty time since he was in HS. I.e. I doubt he practiced it at all.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

The Kig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 19, 2017, 06:31:42 pm
That "RB that can sorta throw", completed almost 63% of his passes last year for 2780 yards, 23 TD's and just 9 INT's, and rushed for 954 yards and another 13 TD's, so I would say he is pretty much the definition of a Dual Threat QB. Not sure what you would qualify as a Dual Threat QB but Alabama wouldn't have been as good on offense as they were last year without him.

If you are merely looking on paper, you're correct.  Not denying that he completed passes.  Kiffin did a good job of calling "safe" passes for him that were turned into big plays which helped his accuracy.  Granted he also made several difficult throws throughout the season that required both arm strength and accuracy.  He had some spectacular receivers that were going to make big plays if the ball was in the neighborhood.  Additionally, he played a few teams that were awful against the pass and gave up some big yards.  My contention is that several factors went into his stats looking good, but are a bit deceiving.

Actually, I beg to differ with you on whether Alabama would have been better on Offense without Hurts.  What I really think happened was that Saban or Kiffin (or both) decided that Hurts was the future that they were betting on and the supporting cast around him on both offense and defense being strong enough to let him grow into the position...as a Dual Threat QB. 

He can (and probably will) develop into a real threat throwing the ball, but he threw some real ducks in the air last year.  I went to a few games last year and the collective feeling was praying his inaccuracy didn't come back to bite the team in the butt... which it finally did in the championship.  Was never a Kiffin fan, but he made 3 QB's in a row look exceptional (1 that was a 5th yr guy who hadn't seen the field, 1 that left FL St not being able to start, and a Freshman) through well designed play calling. 

Poker Porker