Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking for some good advice

Started by HogBreath, February 07, 2014, 07:47:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBreath

February 07, 2014, 07:47:04 pm Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 09:29:47 pm by HogBreath
Just wanted to see....I've been thinking about getting one of the Rossi lever action rifles in .357, any ideas on these guns...is it a suitable round for whitetail?  What kinda range?  Good gun or not?

Another gun I like is one of the little Hi Point carbines with an ATI stock..kinda looking at a 9mm, they make 'em in a .40 & .45.....good idea/bad idea?

How about the S&W sd9ve?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Wayne Watson

The only Rossi I have is a pump .22 and I love it.  Had it about 30 years.  It was based off an old Winchester patent that had expired.  It is patterned off the Winchester 62.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

lumphog

I highly recommend the Rossi 357 6 inch brl One of the finest shooting pistols I ve ever shot. I ve killed deer with mine. Very accurate!!!! Holds a tight group & well worth the money

pigture perfect

Rossi is a great gun for the price. Compare it to the Taurus. Also check out the Chiappa Arms 357. Weird looking, but almost no recoil. Incredible design.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

kodiakisland

Are you talking about the 92 lever gun or handgun?  The lever gun is a decent gun that would make a nice whitetail rifle but I'd rather have a used quality revolver over a new rossi.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

HogBreath

Sorry guys..I didn't explain very well which Rossi, I'm looking at the lever action rifle.

My bad.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HogBreath

Quote from: kodiakisland on February 07, 2014, 09:26:20 pm
Are you talking about the 92 lever gun or handgun?  The lever gun is a decent gun that would make a nice whitetail rifle but I'd rather have a used quality revolver over a new rossi.
The lever action, sorry...didn't give enough specifics.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 07, 2014, 08:53:09 pm

Rossi is a great gun for the price. Compare it to the Taurus. Also check out the Chiappa Arms 357. Weird looking, but almost no recoil. Incredible design.

Taurus actually owns Rossi firearms. 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

AcornHunter

Lots of us posters are scatter-shooting around your question, so I too will not directly hit the mark.  But I can comment on the make, Rossi.

A few years ago I bought a little single shot Rossi 410 to kill sparrows wanting to nest in the out buildings and martin boxes around the place.

I bought it at Baker's in DeQueen.  It would not eject the spent shell; the ejection spring is weak, I guess.  I took it back to Baker's the next day.  The man behind the gun counter, the same one who had taken my money the day before, tried to sell me a line about my shells, Remingtons, were bad and swelling upon firing.  I bought a new box of what he recommended–don't remember the brand–then asked him to fire a round to see if it would eject.  He tried to make another sale on why he couldn't do that.  I could feel a temptation to immediately test it coming on so I took my little Rossi and got out of there and haven't been back.

The little gun still won't eject, never has, but it serves the purpose I bought it for.  It's killed many sparrows and starlings, and an at hand section of cleaning rod removes the spent shell.

An open-sighted lever gun that shoots that round would be a good woods/brush gun, out to about fifty yards, for deer and hogs, I think.

tophawg19

range would likely be out to 100 yards or so. i prefer the old 30/30 in a lever gun. but the 44 mags do a nice job. i've used a 357 ruger blackhawk  and it did a good job .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HogBreath

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 08, 2014, 07:45:25 am
range would likely be out to 100 yards or so. i prefer the old 30/30 in a lever gun. but the 44 mags do a nice job. i've used a 357 ruger blackhawk  and it did a good job .
I've got a Marlin 30-30, that I've had for years, in it's range of course, it'll kill the fire out of deer..just kinda got the itch to try something a little different.  Just guessing, but figure the .357 would have a little less range than the 30.30.

I also have a Model 73 Winchester in 32.20, so that may be what got me to looking at the lever rounds out there..kinda intrigued by some of the older straight .32 caliber guns.  Also really like the .22 magnum lever guns, but don't really know what I'd do with one.

kodiakisland

I've got a marlin 1894 in 32-20 I hunt with.  It was made in the 80's and can be loaded fairly hot (for the 32-20 anyway).  I limit it to 40 yards.  The 357 should be fine inside of 100 yards fired from a rifle.

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

pigture perfect

Don't be afraid to look at a 44 mag either.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Article comparing .357 vs 30-30 ballistics out of lever guns:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/05/chris-dumm/lever-action-ballistics-30-30-vs-357-magnum/

Extremely detailed video about the Hi Point:

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Hawgon

Quote from: HogBreath on February 07, 2014, 07:47:04 pm
Just wanted to see....I've been thinking about getting one of the Rossi lever action rifles in .357, any ideas on these guns...is it a suitable round for whitetail?  What kinda range?  Good gun or not?

Another gun I like is one of the little Hi Point carbines with an ATI stock..kinda looking at a 9mm, they make 'em in a .40 & .45.....good idea/bad idea?

How about the S&W sd9ve?

The Rossi's are neat little rifles.  You'll be good out to 150 yards or so with the .357.

CallThemHawgs!

Out of a lever gun a good .357 load is perfectly suitable for deer and other medium sized game.

Rossi makes great guns, would not hesitate to own one.

DeltaBoy

Rossi makes a solid lever gun and 357 magnum will kill dear out to 150 years.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Torqued pork

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 12, 2014, 01:04:23 pm
Rossi makes a solid lever gun and 357 magnum will kill dear out to 150 years.
Out to 150 years? What grain ammo are we talking about?

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Torqued pork on February 12, 2014, 02:50:39 pm

Out to 150 years? What grain ammo are we talking about?

Delta must be talking about one of those new....."time machine"....lever actions.  Bet the ammo on those will be harder to get than .22's.......
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Albert Einswine

Buddy of mine let me borrow his Rossi lever gun in .357 many moons ago for my then 12 year old son to take on a hunting trip. It was a hoot to fire, very accurate and at the time inexpensive when plinking around with .38 ammo.

I'd definitely own one.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker