Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

the reason I don't advocate open carry

Started by Pudgepork, February 07, 2014, 03:54:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pudgepork

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/24621756/charges-good-samaritan-shot-with-own-gun-in-minneapolis

same scenario whether he was inside the house or standing in a checkout line somewhere.  Always a chance someone is going to try to grab the gun while something
distracts you

DeWayne R

1000's  of people open carry ever day and you can only find 2 links.
When you're Black and proud it's called pride but when you're White and proud it's called racism

DOGALUM

Dude....the first link happened inside the man's own house.  Had absolutely nothing to do with open carry.    Pure garbage.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

DOGALUM

How about "the reason I don't advocate releasing worthless bastards from prison"?   

Both of these frickers had violent pasts.....yet you choose open carry to bag on?

Hilarious.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Pudgepork

As far as only 2,  I didn't look for more.  Feel free to do so
Both guys had pistols, in their holsters, and bad guys
grabbed and used their gun.  So yeah, I'm 'bagging' on
open carry.  I feel it's crazy to let somebody know you
have a gun.  You lose a huge tactical advantage

And the sight of a nice shiny $500 gun is too tempting
for some idgits to pass up as story number 2 shows.

Both had no Bidness breathing but that's for the courts
to decide or perhaps a conceal carry person the next
time either thug walks in to rob the place

GaryHog

They both ran across the wrong cc person or they would be dead. You point is pointless!!
Make America Great Again!!!!!!!

Pudgepork

Quote from: GaryHog on February 08, 2014, 07:53:50 pm
They both ran across the wrong cc person or they would be dead. You point is pointless!!

my point isn't pointless.   I provided 2 instances where thugs encountered open carry guys(doesn't matter that one was in his house, still open carry), took both guns and killed
the gun owner.   I'm sure there are other instances where scuffles occurred and perhaps even some  gun owners killed or harmed  innocent(that's what libs would call them)thugs  after an unsuccessful attempt to steal the gun.

Show me 1, just 1, article where a thug encountered an open carry person and didn't attempt to steal the gun. 

My point is,  when the thieves of the world see temptation of a $500 to $1000 pistol right in front of them, it is going to be too much for them.  Even if they have to follow you out of the store and knock you in the head or taze you to get the gun.  Open display is enhancing the odds that somebody is going to try to get what you got.

95_alum

Rzbakfromwaybak

Truth is, most crooks don't want to mess with anybody that they know that has a gun.
They know that things can go wrong, & if they do.... that could be their last mistake.  Easier & safer ways for criminals to steal. 

Many more crimes are committed against people that crooks believe are not armed....than the ones that are known to be armed.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Pudgepork on February 07, 2014, 03:54:29 pm
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/24621756/charges-good-samaritan-shot-with-own-gun-in-minneapolis

same scenario whether he was inside the house or standing in a checkout line somewhere.  Always a chance someone is going to try to grab the gun while something
distracts you

Extremely poor example.  This man let a stranger into his house around midnight.  The crook could have just as easily killed him with a knife.

waphill

IMO, most criminals are opportunists. They will always look for the easiest way, which is why they're criminals. There are many other easier ways to score than to try and take a gun off of someone's hip.

A more likely scenario would be that criminal follows that person home. When he sees them leave, he robs the house because he knows there are guns in there.

yonklick455

Quote from: Pudgepork on February 09, 2014, 09:27:30 pm

Show me 1, just 1, article where a thug encountered an open carry person and didn't attempt to steal the gun. 

Why would there be an article about this particular scenario?

Usually there aren't articles written about nothing happening.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on February 14, 2012, 09:10:36 am
no offense bro, but i don't think you've ever taken anything with a grain of salt in your life.

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 17, 2013, 10:11:51 pm
Man, the FCI that day was Threat Level Midnight.

HogScoutMaster

my point isn't pointless.   I provided 2 instances where thugs encountered open carry guys(doesn't matter that one was in his house, still open carry),

No you didn't !  You dont open carry in your house, you open carry at Wal-Mart
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Pudgepork on February 07, 2014, 03:54:29 pm

distracts you

Nothing wrong with open carry, The home owner made several mistakes.
1. He let the man in his house.
2. He let his guard down.
3. He did not have his wife call and keep his eye on the stranger he let in his home.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 12, 2014, 10:13:01 am

Nothing wrong with open carry, The home owner made several mistakes.

1. He let the man in his house.
2. He let his guard down.
3. He did not have his wife call and keep his eye on the stranger he let in his home.

Agree, Delta.  Anybody that lets a stranger into his house around midnight....is asking for trouble.  He was trying to help someone that he believed was being pursed by crooks, & paid for it with his own life.  Very sad.

LSUFan

You knock on my door at midnight, you're staring down the barrel of a 45, and you damn sure ain't coming in.

I open carry everyday, and have had only one person notice it. People are sheep.

I watch people, I watch their eyes and their hands and body language.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

talley

I personally would rather conceal than open carryfor the simple fact that say i am in the gas station and three guys come in with ar's to rob it.  If you have a concealed you can sit in the corner and make sure nothing happens and not have to be engaged in a fight you are doomed to lose.  If you are open carrying... your in big trouble and dont get that option.  Not to mention if i was going to rob a store, i would walk in, check and make sure that no one was open carrying, and if they were shoot htem in the back of the head and then rob the place... once again can't do that if you are concealed carrying

DeltaBoy

I have CCW for over a decade but there are times I wish I could OC here in TX.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DeWayne R

Quote from: talley on February 13, 2014, 07:49:33 am
I personally would rather conceal than open carryfor the simple fact that say i am in the gas station and three guys come in with ar's to rob it.  If you have a concealed you can sit in the corner and make sure nothing happens and not have to be engaged in a fight you are doomed to lose.  If you are open carrying... your in big trouble and dont get that option.  Not to mention if i was going to rob a store, i would walk in, check and make sure that no one was open carrying, and if they were shoot htem in the back of the head and then rob the place... once again can't do that if you are concealed carrying

Good little SHEEP!!
When you're Black and proud it's called pride but when you're White and proud it's called racism

talley

Quote from: DeWayne R (Deewain32) on February 13, 2014, 11:09:44 am
Good little SHEEP!!

What are you talking about?

I have a concealed and would not open carry even if it became the law... you can say what you want, but the reason that A LOT of people want it is to be billy bad ass in the gas station... if they want to do that, good for them, but if i have a choice to conceal or not i will conceal. 

Once again, you're robbing a bank, you see a guy with a .45 on his hip and you have a AR, who you shooting first? Just doesn't make sense to me why you would want to open carry.  The reason i carry is to protect myself, and i feel like the best way to do that is with surprise attack not a wild west shootout because the guy saw my gun right off the bat

DeltaBoy

Quote from: talley on February 13, 2014, 12:18:15 pm
What are you talking about?

I have a concealed and would not open carry even if it became the law... you can say what you want, but the reason that A LOT of people want it is to be billy bad ass in the gas station... if they want to do that, good for them, but if i have a choice to conceal or not i will conceal. 

Once again, you're robbing a bank, you see a guy with a .45 on his hip and you have a AR, who you shooting first? Just doesn't make sense to me why you would want to open carry.  The reason i carry is to protect myself, and i feel like the best way to do that is with surprise attack not a wild west shootout because the guy saw my gun right off the bat

I will defend your right to chose that option but I want the freedom to do both as time and situation allows.

talley

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 13, 2014, 12:32:31 pm
I will defend your right to chose that option but I want the freedom to do both as time and situation allows.

I agree i would do the same... i just want both options and not HAVE to carry open...

TeufelHog

Why I advocate for both "concealed" and "open" carry . . .

Holster the "open carry" unloaded.  Concurrently, tuck away your "concealed" weapon loaded, chambered, and on safe.

When the "D-Bag" goes for the unloaded "bait," pull your "concealed" weapon . . . aim, laugh, and pull the trigger.

Problem solved PudgePork!  Always have a back-up plan.

LSUFan

Quote from: TeufelHog on February 13, 2014, 03:21:18 pm
Why I advocate for both "concealed" and "open" carry . . .

Holster the "open carry" unloaded.  Concurrently, tuck away your "concealed" weapon loaded, chambered, and on safe.

When the "D-Bag" goes for the unloaded "bait," pull your "concealed" weapon . . . aim, laugh, and pull the trigger.

Problem solved PudgePork!  Always have a back-up plan.
The last punk I shot was shooting at someone else, 17 yo bm that also shot my car. I laughed in his face as he was begging for air. Does that make me a bad person?

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: LSUFan on February 13, 2014, 08:35:22 pm
The last punk I shot was shooting at someone else, 17 yo bm that also shot my car. I laughed in his face as he was begging for air. Does that make me a bad person?
The fact that you are bragging about that does.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

LSUFan

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on February 13, 2014, 08:50:23 pm
The fact that you are bragging about that does.
I've never shot anybody that didn't deserve it.

cdohogfan

There are a lot of posts here and honestly I didn't read them. All I want to say is, why take away someones choice? You don't feel comfortable open carrying so no one should? That's the wrong line of thinking in my opinion. Support the 2nd. No reason to be fighting each other when there are plenty of people already doing it.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 13, 2014, 12:32:31 pm

I will defend your right to chose that option but I want the freedom to do both as time
and situation allows.

Agree with you again, Delta.  Believe you summed it up very nicely.  The freedom of the individual to decide.

tophawg19

my point isn't pointless.   I provided 2 instances where thugs encountered open carry guys(doesn't matter that one was in his house, still open carry), took both guns and killed
the gun owner.   I'm sure there are other instances where scuffles occurred and perhaps even some  gun owners killed or harmed  innocent(that's what libs would call them)thugs  after an unsuccessful attempt to steal the gun.

My point is,  when the thieves of the world see temptation of a $500 to $1000 pistol right in front of them, it is going to be too much for them.  Even if they have to follow you out of the store and knock you in the head or taze you to get the gun.  Open display is enhancing the odds that somebody is going to try to get what you got.
hard to show links . criminals don't tend to write much
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

pigture perfect

If you think it's easy to disarm a 2nd Amender, don't know much about modern holsters.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Albert Einswine

I open carry all the time. It would be near impossible for a low life to unholster my piece.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Pudgepork

Quote from: yonklick455 on February 11, 2014, 09:57:16 am
Why would there be an article about this particular scenario?

Usually there aren't articles written about nothing happening.

bingo.   when I wrote that line it was totally tongue in cheek.  No way to post an
article where a crook saw a person open carrying and walked away.

My opinion on open carry is still the same. 

Pudgepork

Quote from: Albert Einswine on February 17, 2014, 04:46:22 am
I open carry all the time. It would be near impossible for a low life to unholster my piece.

the problem with that Albert is, many crimes are committed without a lot of planning.
While you know how unlikely that a crook can unlimber your gun, they probably won't
know it until a lot of tugging has happened. 

Pudgepork

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 14, 2014, 10:58:56 pm
If you think it's easy to disarm a 2nd Amender, don't know much about modern holsters.

gee Pigture Perfect.  Both articles I linked were guns in holsters.   unless you happen to
know that both holsters weren't modern, and unless you think someone would be carrying who wasn't pro 2nd, then you'll have to rethink your argument

Pudgepork

Quote from: LSUFan on February 13, 2014, 01:34:04 am
You knock on my door at midnight, you're staring down the barrel of a 45, and you damn sure ain't coming in.

I open carry everyday, and have had only one person notice it. People are sheep.

I watch people, I watch their eyes and their hands and body language.

When I was a teenager, myself and a lot of my friends open carried pretty much out of habit because we would go shooting whatever, then leave them strapped on when we went into stores for a coke or whatever.  Nobody said a word.  it wasn't uncommon, especially around hunting seasons.

Add 30  yrs to that now and people aren't used to seeing guns.  People don't like to think where their food comes from.  They want life to be clean and no living creature harmed.
I think now if someone sees a person open carrying, they assume he is a policeman.

I am happy anytime gun owners catch a break and the 2nd Amendment is upheld. I do
feel it is a choice whether you open carry and people should be able to make their own
choices on the issue.  In todays world where the criminals are coddled, thrown in jail and released quickly with just a slap on the wrist I don't think its wise to tempt them by displaying an expensive gun with BULLETS.  I read a couple of articles last year that
said that a large percentage of crimes committed with guns involved, that the crooks didn't even have bullets in the gun or the wrong bullets for that gun.  You dangle a shiny
gun in front of them and I think way too often a crook will try to get it.

There was a story in the last few days of a guy who tried to shoot someone with a taser.
I have only read the headlines but I think the articles mention that the person he tried to
shoot pulled a pistol and ended the crooks career.  Chalk one up for the good guys but it
brings to mind the possibility of someone using a stun gun to get that shiny pistol off of ya.  That's why I'll stick to cc but to each his own

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Pudgepork on February 17, 2014, 03:01:04 pm
the problem with that Albert is, many crimes are committed without a lot of planning.
While you know how unlikely that a crook can unlimber your gun, they probably won't
know it until a lot of tugging has happened. 

I've been in some pretty rough places over the course of my lifetime and have never been involved in any ugliness, but I don't present a good target of opportunity, either.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

DeltaBoy

Situational Awareness and following your gut will keep you out of trouble.

The Boar War

Quote from: talley on February 13, 2014, 07:49:33 am

Doubtful.  Just because a person is willing to stick up a gas station doesn't mean that they're also willing to OK corral it with the customers.

The Boar War

Quote from: LSUFan on February 13, 2014, 08:35:22 pm

Are you a cop?  WTH do you live where you have to qualify a shooting as "the last punk ..."?

LSUFan

Quote from: The Boar War on February 18, 2014, 11:58:40 am

Are you a cop?  WTH do you live where you have to qualify a shooting as "the last punk ..."?
I live in South La, he was breaking into a car and when I showed up, he was popping caps at the owner who came out and saw him breaking into his car. The owner was about to level him with a 30-06, the 10mm got him first, he was shooting a 25 auto.
Don't dance with the devil if you can't pay the band.

And if you shoot at somebody while you are breaking the law, you ARE a PUNK!

The Boar War

Quote from: LSUFan on February 19, 2014, 12:25:50 am
I live in South La, he was breaking into a car and when I showed up, he was popping caps at the owner who came out and saw him breaking into his car. The owner was about to level him with a 30-06, the 10mm got him first, he was shooting a 25 auto.
Don't dance with the devil if you can't pay the band.

And if you shoot at somebody while you are breaking the law, you ARE a PUNK!

I wasn't questioning why you called him a punk (or why you shot him).  I figure you have a better handle on that than I do.  In your op you called him the last punk I shot (indicating he was one of several).  Just wondered where you live where you have had numerous shoot outs.

talley

Quote from: The Boar War on February 18, 2014, 11:55:46 am
Doubtful.  Just because a person is willing to stick up a gas station doesn't mean that they're also willing to OK corral it with the customers.

that might be true, but if they walk in and i got a gun strapped to my side and they see it, they are gonna shoot you.  No thanks!  I would rather have a concealed, but to each their own.  I would never vote against open carry unless it was ONLY open carry, but to add open carry, i am all for it.  Just becuase i don't/won't do it doesn't mean i should take that right away from others...

DeltaBoy

Open carry means you need a good professional retention holster and belt plus a constant level Code Yellow awareness as prescribed by Col Cooper.  To do otherwise is FOOLISH!