Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My son is becoming a WWII collector

Started by Albert Einswine, January 20, 2014, 09:17:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert Einswine

Check out these two beauts, top is a Soviet SVT-40 and lower needs no introduction.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Flying Razorback

Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Albert Einswine

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on January 20, 2014, 09:47:25 pm
Very cool!

That SVT is the only Russian gun I've ever handled and fired that I liked. I've shot Mosin's, SKS, Ak-47's, AK-74's and they've completely underwhelmed me, but that SVT autoloading 7.62x54R truly is pretty sweet.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

kodiakisland

Thats a great era to collect.  I've got a friend who has almost every manufacturer of every WWI and WWII model used by all sides except for the full autos.  You wouldn't think it would be that many, but he has several hundred and still looking for more.

If your son does not already follow the writings of Mike Venturino, he should start.  He has a great WWII colections he shoots and reloads for extensively.  He is also involved in vintage sniper shoots your son might enjoy.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Albert Einswine

Quote from: kodiakisland on January 20, 2014, 09:55:55 pm
Thats a great era to collect.  I've got a friend who has almost every manufacturer of every WWI and WWII model used by all sides except for the full autos.  You wouldn't think it would be that many, but he has several hundred and still looking for more.

If your son does not already follow the writings of Mike Venturino, he should start.  He has a great WWII colections he shoots and reloads for extensively.  He is also involved in vintage sniper shoots your son might enjoy.

Cool, good info I'll pass along.

kodiakisland

In the last issue of Handloader, Mike had an article on the 7.62mmR russian round that included the SVT40 as one of several rifles used.  He may want to check that out.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Albert Einswine

When I was a teenager I had a .303 SMLE No.2 Mk IV that I foolishly traded for something so insignificant I don't even remember now what it was. I need to find another one and also an M-1917 Enfield to go with it. And, I suppose I should get a Garand before they're all gone.

I would also love to have a Swiss K31, those things are sweet.

waphill

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 20, 2014, 10:05:15 pm
When I was a teenager I had a .303 SMLE No.2 Mk IV that I foolishly traded for something so insignificant I don't even remember now what it was. I need to find another one and also an M-1917 Enfield to go with it. And, I suppose I should get a Garand before they're all gone.

I would also love to have a Swiss K31, those things are sweet.

I have a K31, and it's a blast to shoot. Very accurate for a milsurp gun. The way the bolt works is very cool.

Would love to have an SVT!

DeltaBoy

Good finds and the K31 got a great rep for being a sweet shooter.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RazorPiggie

I'd love to start collecting WWII stuff. I majored in History and did my senior thesis on Operation Market Garden.

kodiakisland

Got the latest issue of Rifle today.  Mike has an article on shooting and handloading for a K98 sniper rifle.  Venturino is one of the few writers today that puts a lot of work into using WWII rifles.

pigture perfect

I was given a 7.7 Jap when I was 13 years old. An older man from my childhood church gave it to me. I used it until my late 20's. Part of me wishes I still had it, but I gave it to a 13 year old boy from my church, who needed some encouragement. It was such a great shooting gun, but ammo got to be expensive and hard to find.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

JIMMY BOARFFETT

I've got a .30 cal carbine made by Underwood, the typewriter company.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

bythelake

what kind of dollar value are on those 2 guns?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: bythelake on January 25, 2014, 06:22:26 pm
what kind of dollar value are on those 2 guns?

The SVT, because of the quality of its condition and the difficulty of acquiring it here in the states, he could expect to get $1200 for it pretty easily.

The M1 he bought from the CMP for $650. We shot them both this past Wednesday and that M1 is one sweet machine, just a thing of beauty.

sizzlecake

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 25, 2014, 06:39:00 pm

The SVT, because of the quality of its condition and the difficulty of acquiring it here in the states, he could expect to get $1200 for it pretty easily.

The M1 he bought from the CMP for $650. We shot them both this past Wednesday and that M1 is one sweet machine, just a thing of beauty.

What caliber is the M1? What grade is it?

Albert Einswine