Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help shooting a hog on Wedington WMA

Started by awhogfan, January 08, 2014, 05:02:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

awhogfan

I hear there are a lot of hogs down there.  Would any of you that may know where they are be so kind to lead my to a good area to see one so I can try and put an arrow in one?

alaskanstorm

Heard the wild life officers are real strict with gun regulations.  Would definitely talk to one before going out with a gun.  Never mind didn't read your entire post about bow hunting.  However I have been told by some friends scouting out there,  the WMO hassled them a bit.

twistitup

January 13, 2014, 04:05:13 pm #2 Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 06:12:21 pm by twistitup
I've hunted weddington but haven't seen any hogs....not saying they are not there, but I doubt in large numbers.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

95_alum

Good luck to you. Stick every last one of them.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: alaskanstorm on January 08, 2014, 05:41:10 pm
Heard the wild life officers are real strict with gun regulations.  Would definitely talk to one before going out with a gun.  Never mind didn't read your entire post about bow hunting.  However I have been told by some friends scouting out there,  the WMO hassled them a bit.

They shouldn't hassle anyone.  It's perfectly legal to hunt there.

http://www.agfc.com/hunting/Pages/wmaDetails.aspx?show=653
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

alaskanstorm

Quote from: Wayne Watson on January 13, 2014, 06:18:05 pm
They shouldn't hassle anyone.  It's perfectly legal to hunt there.

http://www.agfc.com/hunting/Pages/wmaDetails.aspx?show=653
wouldn't think so but badges can change people.  Hog hunting is not very common in nwa and if there isn't another season in for bow he might have some quick talking to do.

pigture perfect

Especially Hog hunting, since they are feral animals.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

alaskanstorm

Would think the WMO wouldn't want hogs destroying the habitat and would point you in the right direction or would let you know their not prevalent.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: alaskanstorm on January 13, 2014, 06:36:58 pm
Would think the WMO wouldn't want hogs destroying the habitat and would point you in the right direction or would let you know their not prevalent.

They are getting prevalent up here.  There was a news segment on KNWA or KFSM a few weeks ago about the feral hog problem in NWA.  Keep in mind a sow can have 3 litters a year.  Does not take long for them to get out of hand.
We don't rent pigs

alaskanstorm

I know there is a couple UA hog farms out that direction.  Sure a few have escaped over the years.  They will be all along the buffalo with the new hog farm going up in Madison county, shortly.

DeltaBoy

Texas gotten so bad we are allowed to use Helicopters, Night scopes and they are running wild.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Wayne Watson

Got this in an email this morning.

JONESBORO – With the increase in Arkansas's feral hog population, the AGFC is taking advantage of cold weather to intensify feral hog trapping operations on several Wildlife Management Areas. AGFC staffs on several WMAs are using a variety of methods to remove hogs from the landscape. The most efficient being large coral traps.

AGFC biologists are targeting entire groups of feral hogs, or sounders, for removal. Trapping is the most effective removal method, but requires considerable time and effort to condition the hogs to a specific site for the determined removal method. Hunters pursuing other game are encouraged to shoot all hogs they encounter, however the AGFC does not endorse hog hunting in any fashion as a viable feral hog removal method.

To maximize AGFC feral hog removal efforts, small areas within a WMA will be temporarily closed to access. Due to the nomadic nature of feral hogs, the exact locations of the closed areas are unknown and likely to shift periodically throughout the year.

Closure of these small areas is necessary to reduce all human and hunting-related disturbances to ensure that the hogs are not disturbed or pushed into a new area where the process must begin again. An additional benefit of the closures ensures that the hogs do not become educated to the traps and learn to avoid them in the future.

The temporary closures are necessary after AGFC personnel found tampering, release of caught hogs and other counter-productive activities near trap sites. The closed areas will be delineated with official AGFC "No Trespassing" signs warning hunters to steer clear of the areas. Citations may be issued for disobeying official signs and tampering with traps and other equipment.
We don't rent pigs

Kodiak

Had a Game Warden tell me not to long ago that he had trapped 7 in one week end around Wedington. He thought they were a pain.
Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

twistitup

Quote from: Kodiak on January 19, 2014, 11:11:42 pm
Had a Game Warden tell me not to long ago that he had trapped 7 in one week end around Wedington. He thought they were a pain.

Good to know, thanks. I didn't know the population had spread so much out that way. Weddington is .22 only- better have a semi auto for hogs!

Hogfaniam

I thought I was in Jump Ball for a second.  The posse is forming there.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Kodiak

Quote from: twistitup on January 20, 2014, 05:25:23 am
Weddington is .22 only-

Did not know that!  Thanks.
( .22 cal  or maybe .223cal ?)

twistitup

Wayne Watson

Quote from: twistitup on January 20, 2014, 05:25:23 am
Good to know, thanks. I didn't know the population had spread so much out that way. Weddington is .22 only- better have a semi auto for hogs!

You mean as far as rifles, correct?  Can't you use a shotgun?
We don't rent pigs

twistitup

Quote from: Wayne Watson on January 26, 2014, 11:20:14 am
You mean as far as rifles, correct?  Can't you use a shotgun?

Shotguns ok...but hog hunting w shotgun might be difficult.

Rocket23

Because they reproduce so rapidly, you need to reduce the population by 70 percent each year to even make a dent in the hogs.

They have gotten real bad in the White Rock Wildlife Management area.

I killed one over around Horseshoe Lake at Hughes that tipped the scale at 405 lbs.  Sucker was nasty to clean.  Right lower tusk was 9 1/2 inches long as the upper had broken off.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: twistitup on January 27, 2014, 07:32:47 am
Shotguns ok...but hog hunting w shotgun might be difficult.

You can hunt them with a sling shot.  Killing them is a problem.   ;)
We don't rent pigs

yankeefaninHOGland

I bow hunted Weddington almost every weekend of the season and I never saw a hog.

Also, bow hunting season for whitetail on Weddington WMA closed at the end of 2013.

Wayne Watson

Not to derail but I entered it off 412.  Where do you prefer to go once you get to the info board?
We don't rent pigs

Kodiak