Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remington 870 Express...

Started by Wayne Watson, January 04, 2014, 04:46:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne Watson

What are your thoughts?  Thinking about getting one just have one.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

grayhawg

A less expensive model of the old standby 870 pump. Bought one 20 years ago just for duck hunting in the rain and mud and it has never failed. Wood is kinda ugly but parts interchange with the 870, I've been told.

pigture perfect

I don't think you could go wrong by getting it. Very dependable.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

root_hawg

Great gun for a pump; was my first ever duck gun but have moved on to a Remington VersaMax

Wayne Watson

I like the nice stock and blueing on the Wingmaster but this will be a utility gun and will likely see some abuse so I hesitate to spend the extra cash.
We don't rent pigs

tophawg19

most guides use them because they don't fail . if they get hot you just shove em underwater and go back to shooting , my brothers 870 will outshoot my Browning gold and his Benelli . it's old and ugly but still does wonders . i'd say it's the best ever made overall .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hawgon

I would go on Gunbroker and by a 30 year old Wingmaster for the same or less money.  The Express has lots of plastic and stamped metal in the guts where the Wingmaster had forged and machined parts.  The Wingmaster was also polished to a higher standard internally.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Hawgon on January 04, 2014, 10:43:18 pm
I would go on Gunbroker and by a 30 year old Wingmaster for the same or less money.  The Express has lots of plastic and stamped metal in the guts where the Wingmaster had forged and machined parts.  The Wingmaster was also polished to a higher standard internally.

Looked there but didn't see anything that set my pants on fire.  Probably will just go to Academy for 289.
We don't rent pigs

Hawgon

Quote from: Wayne Watson on January 04, 2014, 11:02:17 pm
Looked there but didn't see anything that set my pants on fire.  Probably will just go to Academy for 289.

Nothing wrong with the Express except that they would rust in the Gobi Desert and they're not as silky smooth as a Wingmaster.

grayhawg

Quote from: Hawgon on January 04, 2014, 11:09:09 pm
Nothing wrong with the Express except that they would rust in the Gobi Desert and they're not as silky smooth as a Wingmaster.
Well I've never been to the Gobi desert, but I have hunted in rain and had the gun in mud and even loaned it to my brother who brought it back a week later in a guncase "wet" and never had a rust issue. I guess they only rust where there in little or no humidity.

tophawg19

for sure . ours have been through hell and back . if conditions are bad the browning gets parked and out comes the 870 . every once in a while i'll pull out the old model 11 still shoots like new after all these years .

Hawgon

Quote from: grayhawg on January 05, 2014, 08:11:58 am
Well I've never been to the Gobi desert, but I have hunted in rain and had the gun in mud and even loaned it to my brother who brought it back a week later in a guncase "wet" and never had a rust issue. I guess they only rust where there in little or no humidity.

Well, I'm glad you got a good one, but I'm not making it up.  Just Google up "870 Express Rust" and see the dozens of pages that come up.  A friend of mine had one that it almost seemed like you could watch it rust.

grayhawg

Well I took your advice and googled it and there were several pics of rusty 870 express guns. Most interesting was the forums and after reading post on five different forums, I would be willing to bet 99% of rusting issues were from failing to take 3-5 minutes to wipe the gun down after handling.

If you want to have a little fun google Benelli rusting and you will find nearly the same stuff.

People who are too lazy to take care of a weapon don't need one.  IMO

Hawgon

I've seen them come out of the box rusty.

grayhawg

Quote from: Hawgon on January 05, 2014, 12:27:28 pm
I've seen them come out of the box rusty.
Whatever, we know you don't like Remington.

Hawgon

Quote from: grayhawg on January 05, 2014, 12:43:40 pm
Whatever, we know you don't like Remington.

What are you talking about?  I'll bet you a dollar, I have more Remington firearms than you.  The 870 and the 1100 are the best shotguns ever.  The 700 is the modern standard for factory rifles.  All I'm saying, and sorry if it for some odd reason hurts your feelings, is that 870 Express has a well documented problem with rust.

grayhawg

Quote from: Hawgon on January 05, 2014, 01:15:33 pm
What are you talking about?  I'll bet you a dollar, I have more Remington firearms than you.  The 870 and the 1100 are the best shotguns ever.  The 700 is the modern standard for factory rifles.  All I'm saying, and sorry if it for some odd reason hurts your feelings, is that 870 Express has a well documented problem with rust.
As does Benelli!!!

kodiakisland

Quote from: Wayne Watson on January 04, 2014, 11:02:17 pm

It's a great gun for $289.  Just don't think your getting a $600 gun or better for $289.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Hawgon

Quote from: grayhawg on January 05, 2014, 01:21:28 pm
As does Benelli!!!

I don't own a Benelli and have no experience with one, so I wouldn't know.  Though, even if true, I fail to see the relevance.

grayhawg

Quote from: ScottFaldon on January 05, 2014, 02:40:45 pm
Go to a pawn shop and pay $100. That's how I got mine years ago.
Was it Rusty?

Wayne Watson

Quote from: kodiakisland on January 05, 2014, 01:40:04 pm
It's a great gun for $289.  Just don't think your getting a $600 gun or better for $289.

I just want a dependable gun that when I'm done for the day, come home, clean and put some 3-in-1 oil on and be ready for the next time out.
We don't rent pigs

tophawg19

wayne it requires the least care of any gun out there . i can't tell you how many times i've seen duck hunters shoot them till hot , shove em in water , reload and shoot again . i wouldn't do that to mine but i've seen guides do it

Hawgon

Quote from: Wayne Watson on January 05, 2014, 07:20:12 pm
I just want a dependable gun that when I'm done for the day, come home, clean and put some 3-in-1 oil on and be ready for the next time out.

That is pretty much any shotgun made.  You can go expensive or cheap but they all work.  The plus to something like the 870 Express or the Mossburg 500 is that is homely enough that you really don't care what happens to them.  They are cheap enough that they are practically disposable if somehow or another you manage to do something that makes them not work.

grayhawg

online-with-swine

Be careful with the new 870's.  They have a problem recently with the spent shell getting stuck in the chamber.  Google it and you will see.  I bought one a couple months ago and every third shell would get stuck.  I've polished the chamber with a dremel to see if that helps (according to online videos this is what you have to do to fix it) but haven't had it out since then.  My next trip to the range I will put some shell through it and see if it works.  For the trouble I kinda wished I had gone with the mossberg.

Virgil

Most reliable pump shotgun ever mad if you asked me.  I've had mine since the early 90's and its never failed me yet. 
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

DeltaBoy

Buy a good used Wingmaster and keep that Walmart Special on the store shelf.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

cdohogfan

I own one and my wife just bought herself one. I'll probably wind up buying a new one soon since mine is kind of old and I'm a little jealous. I've got a problem.. shiny new guns. For the price, I don't see why you wouldn't buy one.
Haven't had a rust problem myself.

rickm1976

Remington has been getting a bad reputation for quality control in the past few years (Marlin and NEF/H&R also since Remington started making them in their plants).  I can attest to Marlin's problems personally.  I'd just be sure to inspect any new Remington and if it seems to function properly, then go for it.  I have a 30 year old 1100 12 ga which still looks brand new, and a 10 year old 870 express 20 ga.  Both are great guns.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: rickm1976 on January 07, 2014, 05:03:22 pm
Remington has been getting a bad reputation for quality control in the past few years (Marlin and NEF/H&R also since Remington started making them in their plants).  I can attest to Marlin's problems personally.  I'd just be sure to inspect any new Remington and if it seems to function properly, then go for it.  I have a 30 year old 1100 12 ga which still looks brand new, and a 10 year old 870 express 20 ga.  Both are great guns.

That is why I told Wayne to get a used (pre 1990) Wingmaster.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Hawgon

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 08, 2014, 12:40:11 pm
That is why I told Wayne to get a used (pre 1990) Wingmaster.

Just get a Wingmaster period.  The Express was never intended to be up to the standard of the Wingmaster.  That is why they call it the Express and that is why it was less than $200 when it first came out...cheap stampings and plastic parts with lots of machining marks.

Sure, it is a very good gun for the money, but for the same money you can have an actual Wingmaster made 30 years ago that is smoother than a baby's butt.

pigture perfect

If a Razorback fan asks to use it within 24 hours of Razorback game, don't give it to him.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

mf256

I wish I Could find a Wingmaster for 300.00

pigture perfect

I had a buddy that lost his to a pawn shop a couple years ago and only got $120 loan for it. I would have loaned him that much, if I knew he wouldn't be able to pay it back.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: mf256 on January 08, 2014, 11:50:59 pm
I wish I Could find a Wingmaster for 300.00

Hit pawn shops and check the papers they some times show up at estate sales.

DoggtownHog

I've had my 870 since the early 90's and I have no rust issues. It's still my 12ga when I go hunting with a shotgun. I also wipe it down and/or clean it after every hunting trip. Mine has a baked on camo pattern so I'm sure that helps. My brother has an all black 870 and it's rusted up pretty good.
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

DeltaBoy

My 30 year old 870 wingmaster got some bluing gone but is rust free since I used to bath it in WD-40 during hunting season and cleaned it weekly when I was still duck hunting.

HoggyCat

I've had three. The first one I never had an issue with. The second, I shot it through two weeks of dove season. Right around the ring that connects the barrel to the tube bubbled. I took it to a gunsmith. He paid me $150 bucks for it. I'm sure he ordered a barrel for free and sold it for a decent profit. I took the $150 and a little more and bought another new one. It did the same thing midway through duck season. I'm guessing they had a bad batch of metal, but it turned it me away. I heard of only a couple more doing that. Very small percentage, and I'm sure it's been resolved. But I'm the type of person that won't go back for a third screwing. LOL
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

root_hawg

Not to change subjects but has anyone ever had their shotgun camo coated?  If so who did u use

DeltaBoy

A trashed Wingmaster is still better than a new Express IMO!

Wayne Watson

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 13, 2014, 02:41:33 pm
A trashed Wingmaster is still better than a new Express IMO!

Delta, I appreciate the advice but could not find one in NWA.  Settled on an Express.  It was cheap and will be used a lot.  If it plays out, I ain't out a bunch of money.  When I find a Wingmaster, I'll buy it too.
We don't rent pigs

grayhawg

Quote from: Wayne Watson on January 14, 2014, 05:48:49 pm
Delta, I appreciate the advice but could not find one in NWA.  Settled on an Express.  It was cheap and will be used a lot.  If it plays out, I ain't out a bunch of money.  When I find a Wingmaster, I'll buy it too.
I'll bet it will be okay.

Wayne Watson

Would like to find a Savage 340 Series E in a .223.
We don't rent pigs

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Wayne Watson on January 14, 2014, 05:48:49 pm

If it is used and working then you will be ok.  Any chance you get upgrade the parts with wingmaster parts , keep it rubbed down with RIG or CLP since that paint job has got a rep of rusting.   
Good Luck and your right Used Wingmasters are getting like hens teeth, shoot I would not take less than $600 bucks for mine and I still got the orginal stock and forearm wraped up in the bottom of the closet and a set of Choats on it

Wayne Watson

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 15, 2014, 02:41:14 pm

If it is used and working then you will be ok.  Any chance you get upgrade the parts with wingmaster parts , keep it rubbed down with RIG or CLP since that paint job has got a rep of rusting.   
Good Luck and your right Used Wingmasters are getting like hens teeth, shoot I would not take less than $600 bucks for mine and I still got the orginal stock and forearm wraped up in the bottom of the closet and a set of Choats on it

It was a new one. 
We don't rent pigs

grayhawg

Quote from: Wayne Watson on January 15, 2014, 06:05:29 pm
It was a new one. 
Just curious did you get the magnum with 3 inch chamber or just the standard?

Wayne Watson

Quote from: grayhawg on January 15, 2014, 06:08:59 pm
Just curious did you get the magnum with 3 inch chamber or just the standard?

2 3/4 or 3
We don't rent pigs

DeltaBoy

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 08, 2014, 11:05:16 pm

If a Razorback fan asks to use it within 24 hours of Razorback game, don't give it to him.

Yeah, agree 100%.  Specially the 24 hrs after a game.....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Wayne Watson on January 04, 2014, 10:29:25 pm
I like the nice stock and blueing on the Wingmaster but this will be a utility gun and will likely see some abuse so I hesitate to spend the extra cash.

Then the 870 Express is right for you.

I've hunted with an 870 Express for the better part of 20 years.  I had an 870E 20 gauge, then got my grandfather's 12, then bought a camo 870 Super Mag in high school in order to move up to 3 1/2 inch shells.  That thing is as reliable as they come and has taken some pretty bad abuse over the course of a decade.  I've used it to push the boat off of cypress knees and trees, it's been dropped in the water, it's gotten muddy, and it's been dinged against tree after tree after tree. 

I'm about to get rid of it and get a Browning Maxus because I want to move to an automatic, and I really wish the 11-87 was more reliable when using 3 1/2, but I've only heard bad things.  I've thought about a Versa Max, but the word I always get on Remingtons is that they're awesome pumps and terrible automatics.