Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lead Bullets are being fazed out by the FED!

Started by DeltaBoy, December 18, 2013, 02:40:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Wayne Watson

I just wonder how this will affect barrel life on a gun.

If anyone has any experience with something like this, I'm interested.

Thanks.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

CallThemHawgs!

Majority of lead bullets in the US come from outside the country anyway. Will not affect production or availability at all.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Another example of the government sending consumer costs unnecessarily higher.  It will also have very little impact on the environment.  This is another back door method of trying to discourage hunters & shooters from continuing the sport....by making it more expensive.  Disgusting.  The EPA should really be a 4 letter word.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

ifghog

Just waiting for the next shoe to drop.....what is happening to our world???

kodiakisland

It won't be the end of the world, but it might be pretty inconvenient for some.  I can't say it's a surprise.  How long have we had to use non toxic shot?

What it will do is raise the price of ammo.  Some bullets may not be made for obsolete rounds as it will not be worth it to retool.

For the most part, I've already switched over to barnes TTSX bullets for hunting.  There are a few rounds I still prefer cup and core bullets.  All of my target shooting is lead core bullets.  I shoot mostly cast bullets in my six guns, so that will hurt.  Might need to put up a few thousand more of my favorite bullets.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

pigture perfect

I've got a buddy that makes lead bullets and shot out of wheel weights. I don't like them very well, but I may be relegated to using them more often.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Old Tusk

How can you make a copper core bullet? Wouldn't it be too light?
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

kodiakisland

Quote from: Old Tusk on December 19, 2013, 09:42:22 pm
How can you make a copper core bullet? Wouldn't it be too light?

They've been making copper alloy bullets for many years.  Weight varies on the exact alloy, but in general they are longer than same weight lead/copper bullets.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Old Tusk

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 19, 2013, 11:07:59 pm
They've been making copper alloy bullets for many years.  Weight varies on the exact alloy, but in general they are longer than same weight lead/copper bullets.

I was thinking they would have to be a lot larger.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 19, 2013, 06:19:37 pm
It won't be the end of the world, but it might be pretty inconvenient for some.  I can't say it's a surprise.  How long have we had to use non toxic shot?

What it will do is raise the price of ammo.  Some bullets may not be made for obsolete rounds as it will not be worth it to retool.

For the most part, I've already switched over to barnes TTSX bullets for hunting.  There are a few rounds I still prefer cup and core bullets.  All of my target shooting is lead core bullets.  I shoot mostly cast bullets in my six guns, so that will hurt.  Might need to put up a few thousand more of my favorite bullets.

I dont see it having any affect on prices or supply, even those in the industry think its a non issue

kodiakisland

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on December 20, 2013, 07:37:13 pm
I dont see it having any affect on prices or supply, even those in the industry think its a non issue

I don't think it's an issue now, but it's coming.  Probably be several years from now, but it's coming.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 20, 2013, 08:01:36 pm

I don't think it's an issue now, but it's coming.  Probably be several years from now, but it's coming.

Agree with you Kodiak.  Talked to a tech at Sierra Bullets today.  He told me that the plant that is closing,  will have no effect on their production.  They don't get their lead from that plant.  Of course the EPA will eventually get around to increasing the regulations, to make sure none of the plants will be able to comply.....or too expensive for them to comply.  This is another example of the Obama's administration way of helping the economy grow with more jobs.  They close down businesses, & put people out of work.  Very puzzling way to grow the economy. 

Maybe all the former workers at the plant that is being closed.....will go to work for the EPA as inspectors.  Then, they will get to go around & close other places of business.  Sounds like a very rewarding career.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

kodiakisland

Unfortunately, the precedent has already been set.  California has had no lead hunting areas for a few years now.  The federal government is specifying no lead ammo in many of their contracts.  Most bullet manufacturers now make lead free bullets.  Some gun ranges don't allow lead bullets.

Just like steel shot for waterfowl.  It is being slowly phased in.  May be ten years from now, but someday I do expect a ban on lead ammo.

Old Tusk

Lead wheel weighs are being replaced with zinc. Clearly there is a movement to remove lead. From the environment, don't see it as some sort of conspiracy against hunters.

adave

Quote from: Old Tusk on December 21, 2013, 02:20:18 pm
Lead wheel weighs are being replaced with zinc. Clearly there is a movement to remove lead. From the environment, don't see it as some sort of conspiracy against hunters.

derp gon try take are guns!

Old Tusk

pigture perfect

Man, I wish I could go back in time and buy cheap ammo again.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DeltaBoy

hogdoc97

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 23, 2013, 12:03:08 am
Man, I wish I could go back in time and buy cheap ammo again.
In a few years we will probably be talking about the cheap ammo back in 2014. I don't believe the price is going anywhere but up, up, up.