Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mama Rattler Full of Babies

Started by beebefootballfan, October 15, 2013, 11:38:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beebefootballfan

QuoteThis six foot female rattlesnake was recently killed near a residence on Highway 71, south of Marianna. When the bulging snake was slit open, it revealed a dozen live baby rattlers inside the host snake. These are shown in the accompanying pictures. Rattlesnake eggs will stay inside their mother until they hatch. Most of the time there are 8-10 babies born at once and are about 10 inches long. Babies are born venomous but cannot rattle and are often more aggressive than the adults.

http://www.jacksoncountytimes.net/index.php/component/k2/item/3668-mama-rattler-found-full-of-babies

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."- Alexis de Tocqueville

LSUFan

I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DeltaBoy

Cool I have not see one like this in a long time.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ifghog

Holy crap! That would have been awesome to see live and in person. Is she a Velvet Tail??

toshortrock

Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

King TUSKankahamun

Self proclaimed dead King of Hogville

1highhog

Were you the one that killed it?  How many rattles did she have?  How long is she? 

JIMMY BOARFFETT

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

1highhog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on October 29, 2013, 07:26:58 am
Can you say "0voviviparous?"

Yep, I can say it and also know what it means.  It's where a reptile, such as this rattler here shown, has eggs develop inside her and hatch inside, some fish do the same.  I love rattlesnakes, I've only come across one female like the one above, neat discovery.  Last year I killed one in my backyard, a male, 5' 2" and softball size, good healthy rascal.  He had 17 rattles, I would have loved to mount him but just cured the hide and ate him instead.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

What I like about the story is that the photo is of the snake on a tail gate, which adds perspective, and not held out in space to make it appear to be a monster sized creature.  That thing is big enough in its true state.

I ain't eatin' no snake!
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

HuntinHog

You have to think the hides from those babies would be high dollar.  Never used and what not.

AcornHunter

Quote from: 1highhog on October 29, 2013, 07:39:51 am
Yep, I can say it and also know what it means.  It's where a reptile, such as this rattler here shown, has eggs develop inside her and hatch inside, some fish do the same.  I love rattlesnakes, I've only come across one female like the one above, neat discovery.  Last year I killed one in my backyard, a male, 5' 2" and softball size, good healthy rascal.  He had 17 rattles, I would have loved to mount him but just cured the hide and ate him instead.

It's nice to read about someone else who's a logophile and enjoys fine cuisine.

I didn't learn to eat rattler until some South Texans taught me several years ago.  I say that its taste is most akin to New Zealand White hind quarter.

I moved back to Arkansas and still had a recurring craving for snake but was making-do with rabbit.  Rattlers are scarce around our place, so I decided that I would try some Chicken (Rat) Snake which we have plenty of.

One mid-summer morning I intercepted a large one that was on its way to the hen house.  I was careful not to damage what I thought would be edible parts. 

I didn't even finish cleaning it.  They are not the same as a large rattler, not as meaty and more gristle.  It has something to do with being able to crush hen eggs and climb metal poles with a martin houses on top, maybe.

OldCoot

I've skinned one myself as a kid.  I remember they stunk something horrible.

MF

Devil's advocate...the snakes on the tailgate aren't the ones he's holding in his hand.  Newborn snakes aren't as 2 feet long (width of tailgate, right?)
"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

King TUSKankahamun

Quote from: MF on December 18, 2013, 07:09:57 am
Devil's advocate...the snakes on the tailgate aren't the ones he's holding in his hand.  Newborn snakes aren't as 2 feet long (width of tailgate, right?)

That appears to be the tailgate of a UTV
Self proclaimed dead King of Hogville

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.