Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Atlanta Braves 2013

Started by bsking, February 04, 2013, 03:27:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JONAS

ucahogfan

Very, very sad day at Turner Field after hearing about the fan who fell and passed away last night.  Thoughts and prayers to his family.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9564269/atlanta-braves-fan-was-standing-alone-fatal-fall-turner-field-police-report-says

In other news, Uggla is going on the DL for Lasik just like McCann has done.  Hopefully he comes back a changed hitter.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9564572/dan-uggla-atlanta-braves-goes-dl-corrective-eye-surgery

On a lighter note, Chris Johnson taped his mouth shut on Sunday after being ejected by Jim Joyce on Saturday for arguing balls and strikes.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9563180/atlanta-braves-chris-johnson-tapes-mouth-ejection

ucahogfan

Looks like that HR Harper hit off Teheran lit the fire on a new rivalry.  The little d bag shouldn't have did what he did after he hit it though.  It's like he took the Domingo Ayala video to heart:

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: ucahogfan on August 17, 2013, 10:09:56 pm
Looks like that HR Harper hit off Teheran lit the fire on a new rivalry.  The little d bag shouldn't have did what he did after he hit it though.  It's like he took the Domingo Ayala video to heart:

Braves got some payback today...Kimbrel struck out Harper to end the game. 2-1 Braves win.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

ucahogfan

Pyrrhic victory today against the Mets as we lose J-Hey for 4-6 weeks with a broken jaw.  Hopefully he will be back for the postseason.

HROHog

Sheesh...and he's been really hot since the break. Braves are running out of depth, thank goodness at least
we have a big lead in the division.

OnTheHillHogFan

Not a good weekend so far in St Louis...hopefully we can salvage 1 win tomorrow.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

ucahogfan

Scary stat about Kimbrel.

He has only allowed 6 ERs this season, 5 of which came in his rough stretch of 3 blown saves from April 24 to May 7 in 4.2 IP.  In the other 53 IP outside of that stretch, Kimbrel has only allowed 1 ER (July 4 to the Fish).  I don't think we have even seen his best.  I don't care what he costs, he is the best closer in the game by far and is worth every single penny.

AirForceHog

magic number is down to 8. This why we Chop!
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

ucahogfan

First division title since 05!  Now time to lock up home field as we are money at Turner Field this year.

TheRazorback500

All right! Lookin' good! Now let's get healthy.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

gutshot

Step 1...check.

Step 2 is crucial, in my opinion. Home field Advantage.

ucahogfan

Carlos Gomez will get what is coming to him in the future.

HogCaller13

Thanks Braves for the help yesterday. Go Cards!!!
Respect Your Opponent, But Fear None!!! #1-0 WPS

gutshot

I don't know if I've ever watched anything as awesome as what I watched last night....Mac blocking the base path. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

jbell96

So Braves fans, what is the latest on Heyward?

gutshot

Quote from: jbell96 on September 26, 2013, 02:03:32 pm
So Braves fans, what is the latest on Heyward?

Latest is he is 3 for 3 with a homer and two doubles tonight...and it's the 3rd inning.

jbell96

Glad to see him back, don't want you guys having excuses when you guys fall short in the postseason. :)

gutshot

Ive been the humblest of Braves fans for almost 30 years so I'm not biting on the trolling, sorry.

By the way, Heyward is now 4 for 4 with a homer and 3 doubles in the 5th.

gutshot

And an infield single makes him 5-5. Great night for Heyward. Just what this struggling offense needs.

ucahogfan

Quote from: gutshot on September 26, 2013, 08:51:40 pm
And an infield single makes him 5-5. Great night for Heyward. Just what this struggling offense needs.
This offense was clicking when J-Hey was healthy.  We would have probably won 100 games if the freak incident at Citi Field didn't happen.  He is a new breed of leadoff hitter.

jbell96

Quote from: gutshot on September 26, 2013, 08:14:01 pm
Ive been the humblest of Braves fans for almost 30 years so I'm not biting on the trolling, sorry.

By the way, Heyward is now 4 for 4 with a homer and 3 doubles in the 5th.

It was all in good fun, not trying to start anything. Nothing wrong with a little friendly trash talk. :)

ucahogfan

Quote from: jbell96 on September 27, 2013, 07:48:07 am
It was all in good fun, not trying to start anything. Nothing wrong with a little friendly trash talk. :)
Always love some trash talk.

J-Hey is beyond important to this team.  In his 94 starts this year, the Braves have won 64 of them.  In the 65 games he didn't start, the Braves have only won 30.  So, the Braves basically win over 2/3 of the time J-Hey starts and are the Giants the rest of the time.  Don't think you will ever find that kind of split with one player ever again.

gutshot

Quote from: jbell96 on September 27, 2013, 07:48:07 am

No worries.  I've come to notice a lot Cardinal fans on this board don't make it fun at all, so I just try not to engage.  No offense. 

gutshot

Game of the year tonight. Medlen didn't back down from Cliff Lee not one inch.

AirForceHog

It was an outstanding pitcher duel. Glad the Braves got the win. Now finish it out and get that home field advantage. Go Braves!

ucahogfan

Bring on those Dodgers.  Let Choptober begin!

pigture perfect

Definitely roting for the Bravo's over the Bum's. Good luck guys.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

gutshot

Playoff roster is set...It is interesting to say the least.

Starting 8:
McCann
Freeman
E. Johnson
Simmons
C. Johnson
Gattis
Heyward
J. Upton

Bench:
Laird
Schafer
Constanza (Why?)
R. Johnson
Janish
B. Upton

Starters:
Medlen
Minor
Teheran
F. Garcia 

Pen:
Kimbrel
Ayala
Avilan
Hale
Wood
Carpenter
Walden

No Uggla, Terdoslavich, Varvaro, Maholm, Downs.  Quite possibly the weakest bench you will ever see on a playoff roster.  No thump whatsoever. 

So let's hear it.  What are your thoughts?

HROHog

I'm not surprised about Uggla. Even after eye surgery his batting continued to slump. After that I'm a bit confused. Garcia was
better down the stretch than Maholm though, and Downs had a rough September. That's my only guess on the latter two.

gutshot

Yeah, I totally expected Garcia to get the nod over Maholm.  Downs has been horrible, so that's not too much of a suprise.  Hale over Varvaro kind of shocked me, but I wouldn't call it a bad move.

The main one I disagree with is Constanza over Uggla.  If we need a speedy outfielder off the bench, BJ and Schafer fit the bill.  Same thing with a pinch runner.  I don't see any need in Jose being there.  Uggla would at least be a threat to run into one and put it in the seats.  As it stands, Gerald Laird would be our heaviest hitter off the bench.  Besides that, if Chris Johnson aggravates his shoulder again, Paul Janish is in the game...batting, even.  That's like a nightmare. 

AirForceHog

I agree leaving Uggla off the roster may be a mistake. His 22 homeruns justifies a bench spot for the playoffs.

HROHog

You both make good points about Uggla's power.

As far as left hand pitching at least we'll have Wood out of the pen for long or short relief.

gutshot

Well Game 1 was ugly.  They looked like a team with no playoff experience.  Too many mental mistakes and a flat, life-less offense.   

HROHog

Sheesh, no question about that. Hope the bats get going tonight.

bulldog04

gutshot

Quote from: bulldog04 on October 04, 2013, 07:46:40 pm
Big hit by Heyward

Sure was.  The double play started by Avilan might have been even bigger.  Headed to Hollywood with their heads held high.  That's just what we needed. 

AirForceHog

cubsfan5150

Braves out again... when was their last World Series?
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

AirForceHog

Why not Kimbrel in the 8th? I just don't get that.

dhornjr1

Quote from: AirForceHog on October 08, 2013, 12:08:16 am
Why not Kimbrel in the 8th?

I imagine a lot of people will ask this. Things have changed so much in the last 30 years. Back then, it was normal for a closer to throw the 8th and 9th. There is too much specialization in pitching these days.

ucahogfan

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on October 08, 2013, 12:02:52 am
Braves out again... when was their last World Series?
1995.  Need to remember we might be the youngest team in the MLB with any promise and will probably only lose McCann.

ucahogfan

Quote from: AirForceHog on October 08, 2013, 12:08:16 am
Why not Kimbrel in the 8th? I just don't get that.
Don't think he has ever gotten more than a 4 out save.  You never know how he is going to react getting a 6 out save.  Would have liked to see someone other than Carpenter out there after almost blowing Game 2.

Just think, we will get back both Venters and O'Flaherty sometime next year and the best pen in baseball will only get better.

McKdaddy

Quote from: ucahogfan on October 08, 2013, 07:07:27 am
1995.  Need to remember we might be the youngest team in the MLB with any promise and will probably only lose McCann.

Pirates, Braves, and Cards (specifically the lineup anticipated for the Cards in '14) are all ridiculously young.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

HogCaller13

What happened to the Braves?

ucahogfan

Quote from: HogCaller13 on October 08, 2013, 09:32:56 am
What happened to the Braves?
We had to face the two best pitchers in the NL 3 times over a 4 game span.

HogCaller13

Quote from: ucahogfan on October 08, 2013, 10:03:24 am
Kershaw is a beast. Did You guys beat Greinke in game 2. Correct?

Pulled(PP)pork

taken care of by my Dodgers, bring on St. Louie!!

PP

HogCaller13

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on October 08, 2013, 10:25:23 am
taken care of by my Dodgers, bring on St. Louie!!

PP
The Cards will take care of the Dodgers.

gutshot

Quote from: ucahogfan on October 08, 2013, 10:03:24 am

Pitching and home runs were the biggest strengths throughout the season and both of those areas failed us in this series.  Medlen, Teheran, Wood, Carpenter, Walden...it was brutal.   

McCann had a disatrous series .000
Heyward hit .167. 
Upton hit .143
E Johnson .071