Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OFFICIAL post your picks thread (sports investing)

Started by WILL CLINTON, August 28, 2011, 09:41:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgndaaz

Spikes

You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

NHL tonight Boaton -1.5 3 units to win just short of 6
Let's make some waves.

Let's make some waves.

DadVader1

Here's what I've done so far:

ULL -2.5 @ Ark St.  4 units  W
Rice -17 v. UTEP  5 units
Houston +7 @ Rutgers  5 units
N. TX -10 @ Southern Miss 4 units
Georgia Tech -10 @ Virginia  5 units
Ball St. -10 @ Akron  4 units
Bowling Green -3 v. Toledo  4 units

I have small 2-team parlays for the following teams for a total of 5 units:
ULL -2.5   W
Rice -17
Houston +7
N. TX -10
Georgia Tech -10

widespreadsooie

Quote from: DadVader1 on October 24, 2013, 12:36:12 pm
Here's what I've done so far:

ULL -2.5 @ Ark St.  4 units  W
Rice -17 v. UTEP  5 units
Houston +7 @ Rutgers  5 units
N. TX -10 @ Southern Miss 4 units
Georgia Tech -10 @ Virginia  5 units
Ball St. -10 @ Akron  4 units
Bowling Green -3 v. Toledo  4 units

I have small 2-team parlays for the following teams for a total of 5 units:
ULL -2.5   W
Rice -17
Houston +7
N. TX -10
Georgia Tech -10

Assuming your 5 unit plays are your most confident, do you have a favorite or most confident of those three?

Hawgndaaz

frick it, im betting both Baylor and Oregon this week. why not?

DadVader1

Quote from: widespreadsooie on October 24, 2013, 01:23:33 pm
Assuming your 5 unit plays are your most confident, do you have a favorite or most confident of those three?

Actually, don't put weight on the 5 unit/4 unit thing.  I started all of them at 4 units.  After ULL and reviewing how my semi-finalists performed last week, I decided to make most everything 5 units, but a few lines had changed in the meantime, so I only added 1 unit to a few of them pending further study.  My favorite is N. TX, and I would put Ball St. & Houston as 2A & 2B. 

I got pretty stoked looking over my scratch sheets from last week, trying to figure out where the spreadsheet did well and not so well and trying to figure out where my narrowing of the spreadsheet picks did well and not so well.  It HAD to be at least partially because of a lucky week, because the scratch sheets looked too good to be true after the fact.  I highlighted wins in yellow, losses in red, and pushes in green, and there was a LOT of yellow and VERY little red.  I beat the odds in keeping one of the only losses in my final cut.  Of the 10 or 15 trends with at least 10 occurrences hitting at 100% before last week, every one of them hit at 100% again last week.  I'm not holding my breath that it will play out that way again this week, but I can at least hold out hope for a good week and get a little excited.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: DadVader1 on October 24, 2013, 02:48:27 pm
Actually, don't put weight on the 5 unit/4 unit thing.  I started all of them at 4 units.  After ULL and reviewing how my semi-finalists performed last week, I decided to make most everything 5 units, but a few lines had changed in the meantime, so I only added 1 unit to a few of them pending further study.  My favorite is N. TX, and I would put Ball St. & Houston as 2A & 2B. 

I got pretty stoked looking over my scratch sheets from last week, trying to figure out where the spreadsheet did well and not so well and trying to figure out where my narrowing of the spreadsheet picks did well and not so well.  It HAD to be at least partially because of a lucky week, because the scratch sheets looked too good to be true after the fact.  I highlighted wins in yellow, losses in red, and pushes in green, and there was a LOT of yellow and VERY little red.  I beat the odds in keeping one of the only losses in my final cut.  Of the 10 or 15 trends with at least 10 occurrences hitting at 100% before last week, every one of them hit at 100% again last week.  I'm not holding my breath that it will play out that way again this week, but I can at least hold out hope for a good week and get a little excited.

That's great Vader, keep it up buddy!

Anyone like any action tonight? I lean MTSU +8. Thursday night unders are always hot too...

Hawgndaaz

Hawgndaaz

don't want to bet msu/Kentucky.. talk about two retards pillow fighting. should make for an ugly game that can go either way.

Spikes

Quote from: Spikes on October 23, 2013, 02:48:59 pm
Will try to help everyone win some money.
I bet a progressive system, I will post updated results with W/L on the money as well.

I never bet more then 2% of my bank roll. 1 star =$50

All plays tonight are 1 star.. Detroit Red Wings -145 (moneyline) over the Ottawa Senators (NHL Hockey) Loss minus $77.25

Boston Bruins / Buffalo Sabres OVER 5  (NHL)  Win Plus $50

1/2 Star STL Cards (MLB) $25 moneyline is Even. Loss minus $25

1 star on Tampa Bay (NFL) for Thursday, going to wait the line is at +6, going to wait and see if it will get to +7, if not I will buy up to + 7. 
Minus $52.25 yesterday

Tonight plays

Kentucky plus 12 1 star

Winnipeg Jets +124 (moneyline) over the Nashville Predators (NHL Hockey) 2 star

Boston Bruins -107 (moneyline) over the San Jose Sharks (NHL Hockey) 1 star

Tampa bay NFL +7   2 star

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on October 24, 2013, 01:48:05 pm
frick it, im betting both Baylor and Oregon this week. why not?

You may have missed the optimum line on the Oregon play. Anything over 24 is getting into no play land for me, and I think it's at 23.5 right now. I took it at 23 I believe, because I missed everything under 21.

Anyone know what is up with Ball St and Akron? That line has moved from 11.5 down to 9. It's moving in my favor, and I like that for 2 reasons, 1, it gives me a better line, and 2, it leads me to believe that the public is on Akron.

Good job Vader. Doin work pays off.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Let's make some waves.

Hawgndaaz

Why tampa if you dont mind? Awful with injury to their best back too right?

Spikes

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on October 24, 2013, 04:59:38 pm
Why tampa if you dont mind? Awful with injury to their best back too right?

68% is betting Carolina, Tampa is at home and getting 7 pts. Bay have won the last 2 games they played each other. Glennon is looking better and I don't think Carolina DB will be able to stop VJ and Mike Williams. Throw in home dog, and their home losses are a combined 16 pts ( 3 games)

DadVader1

The spreadsheets like Miss St., but not enough to make any final cuts.  I took them in a pick'em contest but don't plan on playing it for $.

DadVader1

The spreadsheets really like UCLA at +23, but I don't think there is any way they can take into account the timing of Oregon being pissed about just getting ranked 3d behind FSU in the BCS, so there is no way I'm playing UCLA.  There's still enough there that would make me think twice about taking Oregon at -24 or higher.

DadVader1

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on October 24, 2013, 04:11:48 pm
Anyone know what is up with Ball St and Akron? That line has moved from 11.5 down to 9. It's moving in my favor, and I like that for 2 reasons, 1, it gives me a better line, and 2, it leads me to believe that the public is on Akron.

Good job Vader. Doin work pays off.

Thanks Will.  It looks like around 75% of the public is on Ball St., but the line is moving the other way.  It looks like some serious reverse-line movement, which  doesn't give me a warm cozy feeling.

Hawgndaaz

going all dogs tonight

KY +12.5
MTSU +10
TBay +7

all 1 unit!

Spikes

widespreadsooie

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on October 24, 2013, 06:33:37 pm
going all dogs tonight

KY +12.5
MTSU +10
TBay +7

all 1 unit!

Those would've been my picks too. Didn't end up having enough time for research today so laid off, but those were all my leans. Good luck man.

widespreadsooie

I know, this is about as degenerate as it gets...but...

ULM -12 at home vs. Georgia St. looks phenomenal. Georgia St. is the worst team in D1...arguably. They lost by 28 at home to Chattanooga.

Hawgndaaz

I put 2 units on carolina -3 at the half. Tampa is awful

Spikes

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on October 24, 2013, 09:49:16 pm
I put 2 units on carolina -3 at the half. Tampa is awful

Tampa is pretty dang awful

widespreadsooie

Saturday card:

3u: KSU -11.5, ORE/UCLA o71.5

2u: HOU +7, UNT -11.5, BG -4, ULM -12, AF +20

Spikes

October 25, 2013, 01:51:34 pm #5376 Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 03:34:00 pm by Spikes
 Minus $52.25 10/23

Tonight plays

Kentucky plus 12 1 star. W  Plus $50

Winnipeg Jets +124 (moneyline) over the Nashville Predators (NHL Hockey) 2 star.   L -$100

Boston Bruins -107 (moneyline) over the San Jose Sharks (NHL Hockey) 1 star

Win $50

Tampa bay NFL +7   2 star  L  -110

Minus of -$110 yesterday, down -$1625.25 for the week

Plays for 10/25

Brigham Young -7 over Boise State  (NCAA Football)  1 star

Ottawa Senators -147 over the Anaheim Ducks (NHL Hockey) 1 star

Pittsburgh Penguins / New York Islanders OVER 5½ (NHL Hockey)3 star

Carolina Hurricanes/ Colorado Avalanche UNDER 5½ (NHL Hockey) 1 star

Good luck

DadVader1

After looking over the changed lines, I went back and added 1 more unit to Ball St. at -9 and 1 more unit to N. TX at -11.5.  This was primarily to level out my main plays at 5 units each.  It's also after I stumbled across a trend that included those two that has hit 17-0 so far this season.

Hawgndaaz

Going to tail you for ball state/n texas at 2 units each

DadVader1

Good luck!  I think I should develop a footnote/tagline disclaimer thing with the language from the old stock broker commercials ... "past performance is no guarantee of future results"  :)

WILL CLINTON

i absolute love the fact that your system is behind my leans. makes me feel good about this weekend.

DadVader1

Yes, I like that your leans and Widespread's leans mesh well with the spreadsheets this weekend.  Even though I've been building, testing, and refining them for over a year now, I keep trying to learn, tweak, and improve.  I really don't have much of a track record built up using this slightly different angle that looks so promising, so I'm trying to keep from getting too excited and trying to keep from blowing my bankroll management.

yraciv

Taking the Boise ML tonight. I know BYU is good at home, but this is a down year for them and I think Boise is just flatout better.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DadVader1 on October 24, 2013, 05:38:27 pm
The spreadsheets really like UCLA at +23, but I don't think there is any way they can take into account the timing of Oregon being pissed about just getting ranked 3d behind FSU in the BCS, so there is no way I'm playing UCLA.  There's still enough there that would make me think twice about taking Oregon at -24 or higher.

I agree. UCLA looks good to stay within 24 of Oregon.

I think I also like Texas Tech +6 1/2 @ Oklahoma.

Missouri also looks good at home -3 vs S. Carolina. Guess we'll find out if Missouri is real or not this weekend.
Go Hogs Go!

widespreadsooie

I would honestly invest in the over or Oregon before UCLA. UCLA hasn't necessarily played up to snuff against the significant competition.

ur

UCLA starting 3 fresh. on O line. rb may play but not 100%.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 25, 2013, 08:23:50 pm
I agree. UCLA looks good to stay within 24 of Oregon.

I think I also like Texas Tech +6 1/2 @ Oklahoma.

Missouri also looks good at home -3 vs S. Carolina. Guess we'll find out if Missouri is real or not this weekend.

I'm guessing UCLA stays within 28-32, but not much closer. I have lost every bet, no matter which side, when betting on an Oklahoma game, so no go for me. I'm all over SC getting 3 in this game. I see SC running away with this one, with Clowney having about 3 sacks, and SC pulling out a 14-17 point victory.

Quote from: yraciv on October 25, 2013, 06:59:42 pm
Taking the Boise ML tonight. I know BYU is good at home, but this is a down year for them and I think Boise is just flatout better.

You're having a bad year man, along with me and a couple of others. Keep at it though, you've brought some real good info to this thread and this is just as temporary as the hot streaks.

I will post my official card tomorrow, but as I said before, I have a really good feeling about this weekend. May throw around some parlays tomorrow, because I think it could be that kind of day.

G/L to everyone

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on October 25, 2013, 11:01:08 pm
I'm guessing UCLA stays within 28-32, but not much closer. I have lost every bet, no matter which side, when betting on an Oklahoma game, so no go for me. I'm all over SC getting 3 in this game. I see SC running away with this one, with Clowney having about 3 sacks, and SC pulling out a 14-17 point victory.

G/L to everyone

I've played Oklahoma games 3 times this year and won all 3.

I haven't played a UCLA game yet this year and only played an Oregon game once, so I am less familiar with them. Still, I have a feeling that this may be closer than many think it will be.

As far as Missouri and S. Carolina goes, there will probably be a lot of passing yards in this game. Interestingly enough, both teams are pretty good in RZ Offense and both aren't so great in RZ Defense. Pretty evenly matched game but I think Missouri has the edge with it being in Columbia. Of course S. Carolina is coming in p.o.'d because of their loss last weekend to Tennessee. Should be a great game.
Go Hogs Go!

ur

ULM quarterback Kolton Browning was thought to be out for the season with a torn quad. However, he will return to the field and start for the Warhawks on Saturday vs. Ga. St. Browning was the Sun Belt's Offensive Player of the Year in 2012.

DadVader1

Widespread's ULM -12 is looking pretty sweet right now. The line is now up to -14.5.

Fairly large card for me today.  Could end up biting me in the hiney.

2 unit plays
Pitt -4
Vandy +17.5

3 unit plays
Texas Tech +7.5 bought a half there
Nevada -6
USC -5.5
Wake Forest +24

5 unit plays
Mich ST -9
Northwestern +4
Stanford -4
Okie St -13

Dime play
Penn St +17
Let's make some waves.

DadVader1

I could only get Penn St. at +15.5, but the better ranking systems all still pick Penn St. at +15.5, so I went ahead and added that for 2 units.  Thanks & Good Luck!

Quote from: DadVader1 on October 26, 2013, 09:54:10 am
I could only get Penn St. at +15.5, but the better ranking systems all still pick Penn St. at +15.5, so I went ahead and added that for 2 units.  Thanks & Good Luck!

You too man!
Let's make some waves.

DadVader1

OK, in a lapse of discipline, I added three more games, but at least kept them at 2 units each:

Nevada -6.5
Colo St. -1.5
Ariz -12.5

Spikes

Plus $72.50 yesterday. Down right at $100 for the week

Wake Forest +24 over Miami Florida  (NCAA College Football) 1 star

Boston College +6 over North Carolina (NCAA College Football) 2 star

North Carolina State / Florida State UNDER 58  1 star

South Carolina +2.5 (buy half point to +3) over Missouri  2 star

yraciv

5 unit plays
Northwestern +3.5

3 unit play
ULM -15
Penn State +16.5

2 unit play
Ohio -26
OU -6.5

1 unit play
NC State +34.5
Utah +4.5

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 26, 2013, 06:10:38 am
I've played Oklahoma games 3 times this year and won all 3.

I haven't played a UCLA game yet this year and only played an Oregon game once, so I am less familiar with them. Still, I have a feeling that this may be closer than many think it will be.

As far as Missouri and S. Carolina goes, there will probably be a lot of passing yards in this game. Interestingly enough, both teams are pretty good in RZ Offense and both aren't so great in RZ Defense. Pretty evenly matched game but I think Missouri has the edge with it being in Columbia. Of course S. Carolina is coming in p.o.'d because of their loss last weekend to Tennessee. Should be a great game.

When I get on a roll with a team, I tend to stick with them also.

I'm with my guy on therx as far as west coast teams go. I was leaning Oregon, and he posted it as one of his only 2 plays today so I feel good about it. I think Oregon is going to be pissed about being #3 in BCS, and are going to take it out on the Bruins.

South Carolina is just a gut call. If Mizzou wins, they have the East locked up, and I just feel that Spurrier isn't ready to give up just yet.

You are right, it is gonna be one helluva game and a day of football. When I realized I didn't have to be at work till 6 tonight, I knew it was gonna be a long day of football.

Oregon -23   2*
Duke +13½  2*
Ball State -10½  3*
Utah +6½ 1*
Utah +7  1*
Bowling Green -4 2*
South Carolina +135 1*
South Carolina +3  1*
Georgia Tech -10 2*
Ball State -9½ 1*
Oregon State +4½  2*

Let's kick some ass today fella's.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on October 26, 2013, 11:08:01 am
When I get on a roll with a team, I tend to stick with them also.

I'm with my guy on therx as far as west coast teams go. I was leaning Oregon, and he posted it as one of his only 2 plays today so I feel good about it. I think Oregon is going to be pissed about being #3 in BCS, and are going to take it out on the Bruins.

South Carolina is just a gut call. If Mizzou wins, they have the East locked up, and I just feel that Spurrier isn't ready to give up just yet.

You are right, it is gonna be one helluva game and a day of football. When I realized I didn't have to be at work till 6 tonight, I knew it was gonna be a long day of football.

Oregon -23   2*
Duke +13½  2*
Ball State -10½  3*
Utah +6½ 1*
Utah +7  1*
Bowling Green -4 2*
South Carolina +135 1*
South Carolina +3  1*
Georgia Tech -10 2*
Ball State -9½ 1*
Oregon State +4½  2*

Let's kick some ass today fella's.

It's just the statistical analysis that plays into it for me. So far my spreadsheets have accurately predicted the outcome of the Oklahoma games.

That is why I tend to look for more consistent play from the teams that I choose. I look for mismatches, injured players, players who aren't playing or playing injured as well as tendencies vs. various styles of offense/defense and home and away tendencies in terms of offensive and defensive performance and scoring just like anyone else, but I lean more towards teams that I know more about and how they typically perform and that is the only reason that I have had success with the Oklahoma games.
Go Hogs Go!

Is Okie St gonna stick it in my pooper again this week?
Let's make some waves.

yraciv

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on October 26, 2013, 12:45:47 pm
Is Okie St gonna stick it in my pooper again this week?

They might. Glad I just went with the over in my longshot parlay.