Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long

Started by razorbackfaninar, November 09, 2017, 04:47:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackfaninar

I may get run off of this board for this, but I have asked in a few different threads and haven't gotten a good answer.  I am still not clear on why we are so hot to fire Jeff Long.  What is it exactly that he is to have done that we want him fired for?  From what I can tell other than the football hire which hasn't worked out, he has done a pretty decent job.  Is there some legitimate reason for wanting him gone this bad that I am missing? I'm not trolling, I just legitimately don't get the seething hatred for Jeff Long. I was talking to some folks at work today and they were saying if it was one or the other they'd rather fire Jeff Long and keep Bielema? I asked why and the only answer I got was that he was arrogant and (actual quote) " had ruined the university and run it directly into the ground"

To save some time I already know he fired Bobby Petrino.  I know about the Pepsi contract. I know how bad the football program is right now.  I know that we are in the middle of an expensive stadium upgrade. I know about the Jimmy Dykes hire. I know Jeff Long is not from Arkansas, or even the south (gasp)  Are these the reasons that people are filled with righteous hate for Long or is there something else that I am unaware of or have misunderstood, because I am looking at those things and I don't get the "Jeff long has to go now" stance.  Also to save time, I don't work for Jeff Long, I don't work for the University, i'm just a regular fan who feel like I have somehow gone nuts because everyone is so sure of something and I don't get it at all.

phadedhawg

Anger, there's too much anger that we've lost football games.  Firing the coach won't release enough anger so the unwashed masses want to fire the athletic director too. 

Objectively he's done a fair job and in a sane world his job would only be threatened if he refused to fire Bielema after this season but we don't live in that world. 

There's also a neo-confederate bias that doesn't want an AD who was born in a non slave state

thebignasty

Quote from: phadedhawg on November 09, 2017, 04:56:47 pm
Anger, there's too much anger that we've lost football games.  Firing the coach won't release enough anger so the unwashed masses want to fire the athletic director too. 

Objectively he's done a fair job and in a sane world his job would only be threatened if he refused to fire Bielema after this season but we don't live in that world. 

There's also a neo-confederate bias that doesn't want an AD who was born in a non slave state

This, though Bo has made the point that Long engendered some of the anger when he dismantled the GOBN, and its simmered looking for its opportunity for 10 years now.  That's probably true.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

younghog

non slave state is a dumb ass statement.. COME ON MAN..

other people visit this site.. STAY CLASSY
GO HOGS

thebignasty

Quote from: younghog on November 09, 2017, 05:00:52 pm

lol

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;u=11102
But they win

Piggfoot

Hogville was livid over Bielema's buy out of 15 million. 15 million. Long was a n idiot for writing such a idiotic contract. Hogville screamed fire him he's an idiot .... ........
then it came about that it was only 5 million..... but the ball was already rolling on Hogville. Hogville wanted blood.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Razorbackers

/thread. Well said.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: thebignasty on November 09, 2017, 04:59:59 pm
This, though Bo has made the point that Long engendered some of the anger when he dismantled the GOBN, and its simmered looking for its opportunity for 10 years now.  That's probably true.

That's something else that I have never understood as a fan.  Why we poor peon fans are so quick to want our rich overlords to use their money to influence the team we all love in one way or the other.  If you want to give them that power when they are making a decision you agree with you better be ready to eat it when they use that power to make some other decision that you don't like, because once you give them that power its really hard to get it back.

phadedhawg

Quote from: thebignasty on November 09, 2017, 04:59:59 pm

GOBN?

thebignasty

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 09, 2017, 05:03:38 pm
That's something else that I have never understood as a fan.  Why we poor peon fans are so quick to want our rich overlords to use their money to influence the team we all love in one way or the other.  If you want to give them that power when they are making a decision you agree with you better be ready to eat it when they use that power to make some other decision that you don't like, because once you give them that power its really hard to get it back.

I agree with you.
But they win

razorbackfaninar

That's probably the best answer there is to give. 

thebignasty

But they win

phadedhawg

Quote from: thebignasty on November 09, 2017, 05:05:41 pm

good ole boy network

ahh...yeah honestly that's my top reason for wanting to retain Jeff Long.  I don't want the same group of people who ran Nolan Richardson off to reassert power on the Hill.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Rustyhog

This is the most idiotic comment I have ever read. You should be ashamed.

YES, Long is from the North and doesn't fit in. And that does matter some. But that comment is low. You just embarrassed yourself.

ToddW

Quote from: phadedhawg on November 09, 2017, 05:04:28 pm
GOBN?

Good Old Boy Network

Back when Frank was AD there was a lot of influence by guys like Lindsey and some other guys that ruled football and basketball then.  Those guys are the reason we ended up with Nutters.  Besides smiley the last time i saw football really this terrible was Danny Ford's last year.  That was 20 years ago.  Back then everyone knew Ford was gone with a few games left i the season.  Very similar to what we have here.
I bleed Cardinal, Go Hogs!

thebignasty

Quote from: Rustyhog on November 09, 2017, 05:09:45 pm

YES, Long is from the North and doesn't fit in. And that does matter some. But that comment is low. You just embarrassed yourself.

lol, the rare lambaste yet agree take.

solid
But they win

Rustyhog

Quote from: phadedhawg on November 09, 2017, 05:07:21 pm
ahh...yeah honestly that's my top reason for wanting to retain Jeff Long.  I don't want the same group of people who ran Nolan Richardson off to reassert power on the Hill.

Just so we are clear. Nolan called his boss a bigot and said the entire U of A was bigoted. If you go into your office tomorrow and tell your boss he/she is a bigot and racist and so is the entire company. Then you hold a press confrence telling the entire world that they are a bunch of racist BIGOTS and they can pay you off & you'll be gone.

SEE how long you keep your job.

phadedhawg

Really?  Stick around, this worst comment ever probably won't even be ranked by tomorrow hahahaha

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Rustyhog on November 09, 2017, 05:12:23 pm
Just so we are clear. Nolan called his boss a bigot and said the entire U of A was bigoted. If you go into your office tomorrow and tell your boss he/she is a bigot and racist and so is the entire company. Then you hold a press confrence telling the entire world that they are a bunch of racist BIGOTS and they can pay you off & you'll be gone.

If they would pay me what they paid Nolan, I'd do it the first thing tomorrow morning.  I'm already drinking tonight!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

phadedhawg

And so we are clear, that's a firing offense but wrecking your motorcycle and lying to boss in attempt to cover up fraternization isn't?

phadedhawg

Rustyhog

Quote from: phadedhawg on November 09, 2017, 05:16:50 pm
And so we are clear, that's a firing offense but wrecking your motorcycle and lying to boss in attempt to cover up fraternization isn't?

Nope, never said that. Others have. I have not.

rzrbackramsfan

I agree.  Maybe there's some stuff idk, but in my opinion Bret is where we should be directing our anger towards, that is, unless Long retains him after the year.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Rustyhog on November 09, 2017, 05:22:46 pm
Nope, never said that. Others have. I have not.

I keep trying to read your posts, but for some reason am distracted...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Art Vandelay

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 09, 2017, 04:47:31 pm
I may get run off of this board for this, but I have asked in a few different threads and haven't gotten a good answer.  I am still not clear on why we are so hot to fire Jeff Long.  What is it exactly that he is to have done that we want him fired for?  From what I can tell other than the football hire which hasn't worked out, he has done a pretty decent job.  Is there some legitimate reason for wanting him gone this bad that I am missing? I'm not trolling, I just legitimately don't get the seething hatred for Jeff Long. I was talking to some folks at work today and they were saying if it was one or the other they'd rather fire Jeff Long and keep Bielema? I asked why and the only answer I got was that he was arrogant and (actual quote) " had ruined the university and run it directly into the ground"

To save some time I already know he fired Bobby Petrino.  I know about the Pepsi contract. I know how bad the football program is right now.  I know that we are in the middle of an expensive stadium upgrade. I know about the Jimmy Dykes hire. I know Jeff Long is not from Arkansas, or even the south (gasp)  Are these the reasons that people are filled with righteous hate for Long or is there something else that I am unaware of or have misunderstood, because I am looking at those things and I don't get the "Jeff long has to go now" stance.  Also to save time, I don't work for Jeff Long, I don't work for the University, i'm just a regular fan who feel like I have somehow gone nuts because everyone is so sure of something and I don't get it at all.

He has made three bad hires in the most important sport he's over.

Petrino won games but he was an ethical risk when he was hired and he wrecked the program along with his bike. It was an embarrassment for the University.

JL Smith is extremely obvious. Not sure who he could have got instead but no one could have been worse.

Bielema isn't embarrassing the University off the field but he is on the field.

He's really 0-3 in hiring football coaches. Plus then firing Petrino, add on Mike Anderson being slow to turn around basketball, Dykes, and adding 3k seats for $160mm.

He's brought in money but how much of that was SECN money? 

Plus he used firing Petrino to vault himself into the limelight, when firing Petrino angered 50% of the fan base.

He's below average at best.

Jimbob111

I hear this. A lot. From elitists who think they sit above the great unwashed masses.  It is about anger and it is about accountability.  Everyone is angry, both that Long has sat silent so long while the Razorbacks have endured the worst seasons in recent history and that no corrective action has been taken.

Everyone should be angry. This team has underachieved and yet the coach has been paid a premium salary given to accomplished--and successful--coaches. It is thrown around that 4 to 5 million a year is a common salary "at all P5 schools" and this is not the case. Maybe the top 10 P5 schools but not all of them by any stretch of the imagination.

So Jeff Long is under fire for allowing Bielema to continue to flounder, to have the worst-coached teams in Razorback history and to lose by the widest margins, with the longest conference losing record in school history, among other infractions. All the while, Bielema is collecting a salary paid to premium coaches while coaching a program that is not a top 10, top 15, top 25, top 50, top 75, or even top 100 team in the NCAA. The Razorbacks are one of the worst 25 teams in the entire NCAA, whether you rank it by FBS or division I or whatever.

Jeff Long should be fired for presiding over a football program that, 5 years into Bielema's regime, is the worst ranked team, worst coached team, worst playing team, and worst chance to improve team under Beliema's leadership. Jeff Long has tied his own career to his integrity hire and it has backfired on him.

Jeff Long is paid to run a business not be a friend. He had failed at running the most visible portion of that business. Lots of CEOs get fired for what it appears they have done rather than for what they have actually accomplished and he should be too. If you can't see that, you obviously don't read enough Wall Street Journal. It's as much about what he appeared to do, or not do, than what he did.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Ex-Trumpet

People are mad at the product on the field.  That's on Bielema.

But when JL fiddles while Rome burns...people shouldn't be surprised when the anger extends to him as well.

HogPharmer

Quote from: commonnonsense on November 09, 2017, 05:29:35 pm
He has made three bad hires in the most important sport he's over.

Petrino won games but he was an ethical risk when he was hired and he wrecked the program along with his bike. It was an embarrassment for the University.

JL Smith is extremely obvious. Not sure who he could have got instead but no one could have been worse.

Bielema isn't embarrassing the University off the field but he is on the field.

He's really 0-3 in hiring football coaches. Plus then firing Petrino, add on Mike Anderson being slow to turn around basketball, Dykes, and adding 3k seats for $160mm.

He's brought in money but how much of that was SECN money? 

Plus he used firing Petrino to vault himself into the limelight, when firing Petrino angered 50% of the fan base.

He's below average at best.

Hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it? He's made 2 good hires and John L wasn't what most would call a "hire". He was an interim. Bobby P was a fantastic coach who got great results. How was JL supposed to know he'd crash a motorcycle with a blonde on the back and then lie about it? CBB couldn't have been a better hire... on paper. The fact is, you don't know what's going to happen until it happens. I am no JL apologist, but all the desire to get him canned based on any facts you CURRENTLY have is idiotic IMO. I didn't want him to fire BP, but understood why he did. The only real issue that I see, based on what is currently out there, is the large buyout he gave BB after a 7-6 season his second year here. But that isn't grounds to fire him. Everybody just has their pitchforks out and are bloodthirsty right now.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: HogPharmer on November 09, 2017, 05:36:38 pm
Hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it? He's made 2 good hires and John L wasn't what most would call a "hire". He was an interim. Bobby P was a fantastic coach who got great results. How was JL supposed to know he'd crash a motorcycle with a blonde on the back and then lie about it? CBB couldn't have been a better hire... on paper. The fact is, you don't know what's going to happen until it happens. I am no JL apologist, but all the desire to get him canned based on any facts you CURRENTLY have is idiotic IMO. I didn't want him to fire BP, but understood why he did. The only real issue that I see, based on what is currently out there, is the large buyout he gave BB after a 7-6 season his second year here. But that isn't grounds to fire him. Everybody just has their pitchforks out and are bloodthirsty right now.

Don't go bringin that bulldarn sense-makin stuff in here.  We have a good ole fashion whipping post to strap JL to!!

thebignasty

I think the biggest point in the fire Jeffie column is hiring a television personality to run the women's basketball program.  That was bush league.

Bielema hasn't worked out, but it was looking pretty good as recently as 2 games to go last year.  Got off the rails and clearly 6ft under the ditch now.
But they win

ballz2thewall

he whimpers like a lil' biitch.
The rest of the frog.

Boardon Hamsay

You'll meet ol Delta soon enough and things will be clearer.

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

HogPharmer

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 09, 2017, 05:39:30 pm
Don't go bringin that bulldarn sense-makin stuff in here.  We have a good ole fashion whipping post to strap JL to!!

Sometimes I feel, sometimes I feel,
Like I been tied to the whippin' post.
Tied to the whippin' post, tied to the whippin' post.
Good Lord, I feel like I'm dyin'.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

hotdog hog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 09, 2017, 05:33:17 pm
People are mad at the product on the field.  That's on Bielema.

But when JL fiddles while Rome burns...people shouldn't be surprised when the anger extends to him as well.
Personally the ONLY beef I have with Jeff Long is.......He hasn't FIRED CBB Yet!!!

Three and Snout

The Pepsi switch was a UA contract, not athletic department.

Athog

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 09, 2017, 05:03:13 pm
Hogville was livid over Bielema's buy out of 15 million. 15 million. Long was a n idiot for writing such a idiotic contract. Hogville screamed fire him he's an idiot .... ........
then it came about that it was only 5 million..... but the ball was already rolling on Hogville. Hogville wanted blood.

I don't ever the people on Hogville viewed as the ones shaping an opinion. There are some on here, like any small message board, but there are many that troll the minions and they start barking. It is a way for many to be personal and negative. This is not the majority of the Razorback Nation.

HogPharmer

Quote from: hotdog hog on November 09, 2017, 05:47:00 pm
Personally the ONLY beef I have with Jeff Long is.......He hasn't FIRED CBB Yet!!!

But then if he did that, he'd have to "hire" another interim just like John L Smith... Then that would add yet another "bad hire" to his list of bad hires, according to some geniuses on here. Thus, perpetuating his incompetent cycle with regards to hiring successful football coaches. He's in a bit of a catch 22 with that one...

PorkRinds

Unvarnished truth.

porkrindjimmy

Here is what it boils down to.

According to a good faction of you, Bobby Petrino was a scumbag. Jeff hired said scumbag. Scumbag won games, wrecked hiimself and Jeff fired him....claiming superior morals and integrity.

Jeff then hires Smile. Smile has lots of financial trouble. Jeff works his contract where his money is safe from bankruptcy. Smile sets fire to a pretty good team.

Jeff then hires Bret. Enough has been said about this...but we are now in the worst 6 year stretch in football since the 40's. Football is your cash cow and his last 3 hires have been failures...

Put it this way...if you as a general manager of Lou's discount liquor and 50¢ trinkets store and your last 3 hires  we're a serial killer, according to some of y'all, an arsonist and a dunce...Lou isn't going to keep you around....

PRJ

Art Vandelay

The results are what they are, it's 3 bad hires. Doesn't matter what they looked like at the time they were hired. Petrino was a risk and proved it, Smith was a disaster, and BB has proved that average was his peak.

What has Long done to deserve to keep his job?

HogPharmer

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 09, 2017, 05:54:44 pm
Here is what it boils down to.

According to a good faction of you, Bobby Petrino was a scumbag. Jeff hired said scumbag. Scumbag won games, wrecked hiimself and Jeff fired him....claiming superior morals and integrity.

Jeff then hires Smile. Smile has lots of financial trouble. Jeff works his contract where his money is safe from bankruptcy. Smile sets fire to a pretty good team.

Jeff then hires Bret. Enough has been said about this...but we are now in the worst 6 year stretch in football since the 40's. Football is your cash cow and his last 3 hires have been failures...

Put it this way...if you as a general manager of Lou's discount liquor and 50¢ trinkets store and your last 3 hires  we're a serial killer, according to some of y'all, an arsonist and a dunce...Lou isn't going to keep you around....

PRJ

But they were football coaches?

hog911

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 09, 2017, 04:47:31 pm

An AD that claims "we are not a win at all cost program" should immediately be fired! It's his job to care about winning!

AirWarren

Depends.

If the one ranting to the boss is black...and the boss is white.

Or.

If the one is ranting to the boss is white. And the boss is black.

Similar circumstances. Way different outcomes.

Just my take of course haha

Wants2Win

rtr

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 09, 2017, 05:03:13 pm
Long problems have nothing to do with Hogville, far from it.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

KennyForAD

How many times have I explained this?   Drive to Mexico and replenish my dwindling Absynthe stockpile and I'll go through every detail, once again.  Short of that, I realize that the war is won and I don't need to do it anymore.  Enough, and more importantly - the RIGHT, people are enlightened.  It boils down to this:

JEFF LONG IS A FRAUD.   Would you hire a 'professional administrator (con man)' to grow your crops, or would you hire a freaking farmer?   We hired a con man.  Our crops have failed.  Who would've guessed?   He's going to leave, and we are going to hire a FARMER.   Get it?

redneckfriend

Quote from: younghog on November 09, 2017, 05:00:52 pm

Sorry, but when the word "carpetbagger" is thrown around on this site with so little regard for what it is code for that is a hard argument for you to make.

KennyForAD

Quote from: redneckfriend on November 09, 2017, 06:29:31 pm
Sorry, but when the word "carpetbagger" is thrown around on this site with so little regard for what it is code for that is a hard argument for you to make.

A carpetbagger is a con man who pretends to be an expert and tries to sell BS to gullible people.   Sound familiar?    "Long on Integrity"  "Professional Athletic Director."    LOL   Horse Dung.   The man doesn't know his butt from a bomb crater, but he's a great salesman.   He sure suckered the UofA.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 09, 2017, 06:25:00 pm
How many times have I explained this?   Drive to Mexico and replenish my dwindling Absynthe stockpile and I'll go through every detail, once again.  Short of that, I realize that the war is won and I don't need to do it anymore.  Enough, and more importantly - the RIGHT, people are enlightened.  It boils down to this:

JEFF LONG IS A FRAUD.   Would you hire a 'professional administrator (con man)' to grow your crops, or would you hire a freaking farmer?   We hired a con man.  Our crops have failed.  Who would've guessed?   He's going to leave, and we are going to hire a FARMER.   Get it?
I'm really going to enjoy another year of your itching...
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.