Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thoughts on the refs today?

Started by runich, February 17, 2018, 06:53:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

runich

Was at a kids bday party so could only catch bits and pieces of the game on my phone.  Seems like every time I tuned in A&M was shooting freethrows.  Was curious what you guys thought about the refs?

Plan to watch the replay after this crazy kid-filled Saturday is over.  Will be back on the hill for the Kentucky game!

GO HOGS!!

mykidsdad

Quote from: runich on February 17, 2018, 06:53:29 pm
Was at a kids bday party so could only catch bits and pieces of the game on my phone.  Seems like every time I tuned in A&M was shooting freethrows.  Was curious what you guys thought about the refs?

Plan to watch the replay after this crazy kid-filled Saturday is over.  Will be back on the hill for the Kentucky game!

GO HOGS!!

they weren't great but not terrible either. we most of the time did foul when they called it. However they didn't always call it when we were fouled. Gafford was raped a few times with no call, one time on a fast break. However it didn't matter as Macon just buried a three anyway.

Dr. Starcs

We fouled a lot. Most were justified, although tightly called.

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

ICEman

Quote from: mykidsdad on February 17, 2018, 06:55:17 pm
they weren't great but not terrible either. we most of the time did foul when they called it. However they didn't always call it when we were fouled. Gafford was raped a few times with no call, one time on a fast break. However it didn't matter as Macon just buried a three anyway.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

ShadowHawg

They were consistent throughout the entire game and all 3 seemed to be on the same wavelength.

My issues with reffing this season have been 2 guys out of 3 call it one way while the 3rd guy is the polar opposite, and when the first half is called one way and the second half another.

USChog

We fouled a lot and it was called. A&M fouled a lot and it was called...sometimes.

HOGINTENNESSEE

jst01

80% of A&m shots were under the basket and we did foul a lot. I'm glad that we were at least making them earn it and when we did foul, the basket wasn't good. We had much less touch fouls on the perimeter that ended up giving them free points.

TexHog188

I thought they were a too tiki-tac on the perimeter.  I think they bailed out aTm a couple of times late as well, but we were well ahead and it did not impact the game other than to prolong the inevitable.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: USChog on February 17, 2018, 07:14:47 pm
We fouled a lot and it was called. A&M fouled a lot and it was called...sometimes.

Pretty much.

Pigasaurus

We got called for 35 fouls at home. Take it as you will.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

N HOG

Wasn't terrible other than the ridiculous intentional foul called on Macon.

GoHogs1091

One of them today was Tony Greene.  You really can't get more experienced than Greene. 

At least it wasn't Tom Eades or Ron Groover.  Those 2 are not good.

sickboy

My issue isn't usually with the calls. It's the inconsistency of the calls. There was a stretch in the second half of the game where all of a sudden, after letting both teams bruise the entire game, they start calling touch fouls every ten seconds. It was infuriating because it kills the rhythm of the game that they already helped create. I can see if a game is getting chippy or on the verge of getting away from the refs, but this wasn't that. It was a like someone changing the rules of the game mid game just to screw with both teams. 

Other than that, I didn't have too many issues.

jjdlc

We were hammering their big (Williams?) any time he got the ball down low.  It was obvious that Anderson told them not to let him have any easy baskets.  It was a great plan, he got frustrated and missed a lot of his free throws.

hogsanity

As a coach told his players in a game I was doing two weeks ago when they were complaining about fouls, he told them " if you want the to quit calling you for fouls, quit fouling ". Hear me out though, the Hogs fouled alot today but they were not bad fouls. They fouled the A&M bigs alot instead of giving them layups, BUT they did so in a way that also did not give them and one's either. It took a toll on their bigs too, and not shooting ft's very well seemed to get in their heads. It was not terrible strategy in a game where the other team was so one dimensional.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Beavthompson

My thing is that it's not only fouls they screwed up. The players completely quit playing twice during the game because the call was so obvious. It worked out for us as our players recognized the refs didn't blow the whistle and ran with it. That's just pathetic refs. 
Say no to drunk posts! Unless its a great idea!

greasy_corner

It was bad.  Only thing worse was the collie lovers shooting from the stripe.

hogfan10

Quote from: greasy_corner on February 17, 2018, 08:52:51 pm

With the exception of the flagrant 1 on Macon, I thought it was pretty fair. We weren't going to give up any bunnies and made them earn it at the line. Thought they missed some both ways & called some touch fouls both ways.

rtr

SEC refs are bush league, in fact they are worse than they were 20 years ago.  They remind me a lot of the SWC refs.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: rtr on February 17, 2018, 11:19:01 pm
SEC refs are bush league, in fact they are worse than they were 20 years ago.  They remind me a lot of the SWC refs.
Maybe we should join the big 12 where yesterday Kansas shot 35 free throws to West Virginia's 2. West Virginia was up 12 before the refs took over. They should be fired
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

GuvHog

The one call that I still don't get was early in the first half when the A&M player hit Gafford with a forearm shiver knocking him to the floor but Gafford was called for the foul.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 18, 2018, 08:00:01 am
In another word..........human.

Even human officials don't miss a blatant forearm shiver to the chest.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: pigasaurus on February 17, 2018, 07:33:38 pm
We got called for 35 fouls at home. Take it as you will.

Man,  you better have depth...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on February 18, 2018, 08:04:18 am
Even human officials don't miss a blatant forearm shiver to the chest.

Wanna bet........................humans miss stuff all the time. Sorry I forgot you are perfect.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The_Iceman

BirmingHam

I do notice that you can tell when the refs get tired, that they find ways to prolong a ball out of bounds or find a reason to go look at the camera for prolonged times.  I was yelling at the tv to give Barford the ball and let's get going, it seemed like 5 minutes before they put the ball back in play.  Of course it was probably more like 2 minutes, but whatever.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: GuvHog on February 18, 2018, 07:58:20 am
The one call that I still don't get was early in the first half when the A&M player hit Gafford with a forearm shiver knocking him to the floor but Gafford was called for the foul.
Or holding and blatantly pushing Gafford our of the post. Over and over.

waphill

I only watched a couple plays of Vandy v Florida. Vandy player is on a fast break, gets fouled as he lays it up. Trailing defender from Florida jumps up, grabs the rim and breaks it all the way down. As it springs back up, it ejects the ball off the rim. NO basket interference. The announcers we're flat out shocked. They even reviewed it. Worst one I've seen in a while, although Gafford getting mauled on the break was close.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: greasy_corner on February 17, 2018, 08:52:51 pm

1+ For Pigpen

Dr. Starcs

Better than the final four crew that did the Kansas West Virginia game. Ku.   outshot them 35-2 at the free throw line. Granted 4 of those came when Huggy bear was tossed.

Lud42

I've thought the refs have been their normal, awful SEC selves all season, but the only game where I think we got really screwed was Miss. St.

We reach and gamble a lot on defense, so seeing us get a lot of fouls doesn't really mean that we are getting screwed.

Now, that Kansas-W. Virginia game? Sheesh...
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.--H.L. Mencken