Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4 and 5 Star Players On This Team

Started by Youngsta71701, November 18, 2017, 10:40:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngsta71701

November 18, 2017, 10:40:16 am Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 06:44:52 am by Youngsta71701
5 Stars
McTelvin Agim

4 Stars
Austin Allen
Jamario Bell
Montaric Brown
Chevin Calloway
Austin Capps
Hjalte Froholdt
Will Gragg
Briston Guidry
T.J. Hammonds
Chase Hayden
Bijhon Jackson
Brandon Martin
Jalen Merrick
Cheyenne O'Grady
Jeremy Patton
La'Michael Pettway
Frank Ragnow
Zach Rogers
Ty Storey
Brian Wallace
Devwah Whaley

We have twenty-two 4 or 5 star players on this roster. There's no way we should be THIS bad. Not saying that the other teams shouldn't beat us because most of them clearly have higher recruiting rankings than us or more talent than us. I'm just saying that the gap between us and those teams shouldn't be this big. It's gotten to the point where I expect to lose before we even get on the field. I can't even find a way for us to even have a chance to win the game, as hard as I try. And that's bad. What can we hang our hat on?

I can never remember having this feeling, even during the Houston Nutt years I could always find or see a way that we can possibly win the game. But not now. Terrible on offense, terrible on defense, and terrible on special teams. This has to be an all time low. We are absolutely terrible in every phase of the game. I've gotten to the point where I'd rather be working than watching a Razorback game.

#AChangeHasToCome
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hogsmash12

Will Gragg is the best TE on this team.  TJ Hammonds is the best RB on this team.  That's all I can say.  It doesn't matter.  He's done along with this shameful season.  A new day is dawning.

PorkRinds

The worst thing that's gone on is the misuse of Agim. He should be a dominant force but he's hamstrung by game plan.

B Ray

There is plenty of talent on this team, needs the right leadership

ballz2thewall

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 18, 2017, 10:57:21 am
The worst thing that's gone on is the misuse of Agim. He should be a dominant force but he's hamstrung by game plan.

agreed.
The rest of the frog.

Cinco de Hogo

As I've said before this "team" is not a dumpster fire.  That title belongs strictly to the coaching staff.

GoldCoastHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 18, 2017, 10:40:16 am
5 Stars
McTelvin Agim

4 Stars
Austin Allen
Jamario Bell
Montaric Brown
Chevin Calloway
Austin Capps
Hjalte Froholdt
Will Gragg
Briston Guidry
T.J. Hammonds
Chase Hayden
Bijhon Jackson
Brandon Martin
Jalen Merrick
Cheyenne O'Grady
Jeremy Patton
La'Michael Pettway
Frank Ragnow
Zach Rogers
Ty Storey
Brian Wallace
Devwah Whaley

We have twenty-two 4 or 5 star players on this roster. There's no way we should be THIS bad. Not saying that the other teams shouldn't beat us because most of them clearly have higher recruiting rankings that us or more talent than us. I'm just saying that the gap between us and those teams shouldn't be this big. It's gotten to the point where I expect to lose before we even get on the field. I can't even find a way for us to even have a chance to win the game, as hard as I try. And that's bad. What can we hang our hat on?

I can never remember having this feeling, even during the Houston Nutt years I could always find or see a way that we can possibly win the game. But not now. Terrible on offense, terrible on defense, and terrible on special teams. This has to be an all time low. We are absolutely terrible in every phase of the game. I've gotten to the point where I'd rather we working than watching a Razorback game.

#AChangeHasToCome

Thank you for pointing this out; excellent post and point. Wish I could find the link , but a month or so ago someone on tigerdroppings had a comparison of talent for all 14 teams in SEC .  There were two teams that separated themselves from the "log jam" and they were Alabama and UGA. 3-9 literally had a spread of maybe 6 or 7 in total number of 4stars per roster . Put it this way; we only had two less four stars than Florida. A&M maybe had 4-5 more than us on roster, it was a very telling roster comparison. My first impression was,  how in the hell are we performing like this?

snoot hoggy hog

A lot of freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and sophomores on this list.

bigred223

Yeah coaching is awful. Hammonds, Gragg, Brandon Martin, and Agim are all being either under utilized or misused.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: hogsmash12 on November 18, 2017, 10:49:49 am
Will Gragg is the best TE on this team.  TJ Hammonds is the best RB on this team.  That's all I can say.  It doesn't matter.  He's done along with this shameful season.  A new day is dawning.
TJ is not the best RB. Fastest, sure. But not best
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

bigred223

IronHog

Quote from: GoldCoastHog on November 18, 2017, 01:19:44 pm
Thank you for pointing this out; excellent post and point. Wish I could find the link , but a month or so ago someone on tigerdroppings had a comparison of talent for all 14 teams in SEC .  There were two teams that separated themselves from the "log jam" and they were Alabama and UGA. 3-9 literally had a spread of maybe 6 or 7 in total number of 4stars per roster . Put it this way; we only had two less four stars than Florida. A&M maybe had 4-5 more than us on roster, it was a very telling roster comparison. My first impression was,  how in the hell are we performing like this?

Feed the duds

By Duds I mean role players
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Cambridge Hog

Novell or Gus could do some damage with the talent on offense.

Enos has drawn up some nice plays, but overall I can't say i'm too impressed.

TNhawgfan

31to6

Quote from: Cambridge Hog on November 18, 2017, 02:10:43 pm
Novell or Gus could do some damage with the talent on offense.

Enos has drawn up some nice plays, but overall I can't say i'm too impressed.
The think Enos really lacks is that it matters which player the X represents. He seems to think he can craft a play and then run it with any random player.

TE "jet sweeps"
105 lb WR in the wildcat
TE taking the snap in the I in the red zone when you have 3 quality RBs
Running the "steamboat" with a rowboat (no offense to storey, but those plays work because CK is a giant)

And on
And on

HardCore

Quote from: B Ray on November 18, 2017, 10:57:28 am

Help will be on the way
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

TNhawgfan

Quote from: 31to6 on November 18, 2017, 02:40:36 pm
The think Enos really lacks is that it matters which player the X represents. He seems to think he can craft a play and then run it with any random player.

TE "jet sweeps"
105 lb WR in the wildcat
TE taking the snap in the I in the red zone when you have 3 quality RBs
Running the "steamboat" with a rowboat (no offense to storey, but those plays work because CK is a giant)

And on
And on
Yeah not to mention you had a guy with almost 90 yards rushing on 7 or 8 carries and he's no where to be found for most of the 4th quarter. Seriously, why such few carries for the best back today?

31to6

Quote from: TNhawgfan on November 18, 2017, 02:48:11 pm
Yeah not to mention you had a guy with almost 90 yards rushing on 7 or 8 carries and he's no where to be found for most of the 4th quarter. Seriously, why such few carries for the best back today?
Nm.. re-read your post. I agree.

hawgmasta

Agreed that this is the first time in forever that I just knew we were going to get beat at the end. Bielema and co needs the biggest fastest guys on the field for them to consistently win. They can't weasel their way out of any tough coaching problems, and it's painfully obvious.

hogsanity

how many of those 22 are defenders? how many are lb's or db's? Our db's could not even stay with the 5th-8th receivers from MSU, as they were missing their top 4 receivers.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LJHOG

No there isn't.  Take Hjalte Froholdt, for instance.  He was 4*, but he plays like a low 2*.  He is representative of the entire roster.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: LJHOG on November 18, 2017, 02:54:17 pm
No there isn't.  Take Hjalte Froholdt, for instance.  He was 4*, but he plays like a low 2*.  He is representative of the entire roster.
He was 4 star on defense. That was our genius coach who moved him

Smashmouth2004

Why can't Merrick see the field over Hays or Raulerson? Something not right about this!

Cinco de Hogo

Coaching man it's all in the coaching!

jm

Quote from: hogsanity on November 18, 2017, 02:52:21 pm
how many of those 22 are defenders? how many are lb's or db's? Our db's could not even stay with the 5th-8th receivers from MSU, as they were missing their top 4 receivers.

Defense- you're talking about defense? Every one knows we don't need defense. All we need to do is change QB's and all problems would be solved.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: jm on November 18, 2017, 03:48:15 pm
Defense- you're talking about defense? Every one knows we don't need defense. All we need to do is change QB's and all problems would be solved.

Hmmm, wouldn't the defense have won the game today if we had an offense?

OtterHog

I'm hoping we can save some of the potential transfers that might've happened had Bret been retained.

GoldCoastHog

If success on the field were dictated by stars, then Gary Gibbs would still be coaching OU, David Mc Williams atTexas would have won three national titles, and Mike Shula at Bama would be brushing off NFL rumors to coach the Patriots.
There's nothing wrong with our roster buddy.

PygmalionEffect2

Hammonds the best running back?

Froholdt playing like a 2 star?

Try watching some of the games before posting ok?

Stupid posts doesn't take away from OP's point that the talent was wasted and under utilized by this coaching staff no doubt. 
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

The_Iceman

Agim needs to be playing at around 270lbs.

Temprees

Quote from: hogsanity on November 18, 2017, 02:52:21 pm
Our best DBs are not on the field, just like other positions.

Al Boarland

There's about 7/8 win talent on this team.

hawgtime

agreed.  we need someone to make the players play above their talent, cash in on the success with better players and rachet this program UP!

Poop Hoggy Hogg

If there is a head coaching change after the season, the new guy is going to kick butt with this talent.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Smashmouth2004 on November 18, 2017, 03:01:10 pm
Why can't Merrick see the field over Hays or Raulerson? Something not right about this!

FanOnTheHill has actually said he had something to say about this after Missouri (or after Bielema anyway).  Keep an eye out for that.

Captain Morgan

5 Stars
McTelvin Agim

4 Stars
Austin Allen
Jamario Bell
Montaric Brown
Chevin Calloway
Austin Capps
Hjalte Froholdt
Will Gragg
Briston Guidry
T.J. Hammonds
Chase Hayden
Bijhon Jackson
Brandon Martin
Jalen Merrick
Cheyenne O'Grady
Jeremy Patton
La'Michael Pettway
Frank Ragnow
Zach Rogers
Ty Storey
Brian Wallace
Devwah Whaley

We have twenty-two 4 or 5 star players on this roster. There's no way we should be THIS bad. Not saying that the other teams shouldn't beat us because most of them clearly have higher recruiting rankings that us or more talent than us. I'm just saying that the gap between us and those teams shouldn't be this big. It's gotten to the point where I expect to lose before we even get on the field. I can't even find a way for us to even have a chance to win the game, as hard as I try. And that's bad. What can we hang our hat on?

I can never remember having this feeling, even during the Houston Nutt years I could always find or see a way that we can possibly win the game. But not now. Terrible on offense, terrible on defense, and terrible on special teams. This has to be an all time low. We are absolutely terrible in every phase of the game. I've gotten to the point where I'd rather we working than watching a Razorback game.

#AChangeHasToCome

Isn't it funny our best player both sides of the ball Dejon Harris isn't even on this list?

HornetHog

5 Stars
McTelvin Agim

4 Stars
Austin Allen
Jamario Bell
Montaric Brown
Chevin Calloway
Austin Capps
Hjalte Froholdt
Will Gragg
Briston Guidry
T.J. Hammonds
Chase Hayden
Bijhon Jackson
Brandon Martin
Jalen Merrick
Cheyenne O'Grady
Jeremy Patton
La'Michael Pettway
Frank Ragnow
Zach Rogers
Ty Storey
Brian Wallace
Devwah Whaley

#AChangeHasToCome

There is no way in hell Austin Allen was a 4 Star QB.  The spotlight should now be moving from the coaches and players to the people who decide how many stars are "awarded' to each prospect's ranking

This is the problem with today's system. The voters/sports writers who vote on who has how many stars,... is creating a trickle down problem.  Go ahead and vote on everybody else on the field, but when it comes to the QB position, I see more writers get it wrong than they get it right. (And for many reasons).  As a private QB coach, and a large program High School coach I can tell you this is not just at Arkansas but all over the country. The voters and star system unfortunately has become very relevant based on Alumni wants to see their teams recruit the highest 4-5 star kids they can get. Its now a big dollar business. However,...there's a lot of examples and proof that the ranking system is BS. H.Dale Nutt or Bobby Patrino very rarely had anything over a 3 star,(if ever) and won a few games.  Its coaching staff First, recruiting is Second.  Enos is and has been a BB puppet and he's a terrible QB recruiter and coach. Who in their right mind thinks a 270lb QB is going to work? Yea I know there was a 300lb freak at Kentucky a few years ago, but that's one guy out of all football in the past 100 years.
Former Hog QB / National Private QB Coach QBFarm.com / Varsity HS Football Coach / Hog Fan since birth

HornetHog

Just noticed Ty Story also a 4 Star - HOLY darn! What were you smoking? (persons who voted on him)
Former Hog QB / National Private QB Coach QBFarm.com / Varsity HS Football Coach / Hog Fan since birth

Swestwill66

Quote from: TNhawgfan on November 18, 2017, 02:48:11 pm
"Other" coaches used to try 2 or 3 backs and the one with the hot hand got the lion's share of carries.

Jek Tono Porkins

Throughout this season I've wondered why now was the time to switch to a 3-4. If we were in a 4-3 you'd have a starting D-line of Agim, Jackson, Capps, and Smith. Seems to me that's tailor-made for Agim to wreak havoc as Jackson and Capps are massive humans that if nothing else would draw double teams. But instead the strategy appears to be to never have Jackson and Capps, two 4* DT's, on the field at the same time.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

PygmalionEffect2

I don't think Kelley's size is a disadvantage.

He needs to be motivated to get out of the bars and into the gym he has the potential to be a Tebow type QB with a better arm.

Will take a lot of improvement but the potential is there. 

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

PygmalionEffect2

Agreed on the 4-3 would have been a better fit for our talent this year.

HornetHog

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on November 19, 2017, 10:00:08 am
I don't think Kelley's size is a disadvantage.

He needs to be motivated to get out of the bars and into the gym he has the potential to be a Tebow type QB with a better arm.

Will take a lot of improvement but the potential is there. 
I love your Razorback positive energy however,...but Which Game were you watching?

He's 270 and has ZERO foot/leg quickness.  Lets assume for a second that he's as quick as Cam Newton,  he has shown nothing but an inaccurate cannon. A cannon is a cool thing to see, but if you aren't consistent, you are now punting.  What I saw was behind the receiver, short of the receiver, late and batted down, over the head, etc.  He is not the future. I wish I were wrong about this QB. I still blame Enos for even thinking he could be an SEC QB that turns around the Hogs' program. If a QB is going to be a tall 6'6" or taller, he needs to be athletic like our previous Matt Jones 6'6" 4.38 40-yard dash QB .... not a left tackle moving QB.

Squints Pallaboarus

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2017, 06:11:01 am
Agim needs to be playing at around 270lbs.

Agreed! Jadaveon Clowney played around 265 lbs in college. Agim is playing with too much weight, which makes him slower and hurts his stamina. He was 247 lb coming out of high school; now he's at 286 lbs.

Furthermore, looking back on AC's career at Arkansas, I think his weight was mismanaged as well. Yeah he was a 1000 yd rusher x 3 years, but he's much more agile and fleet of foot this year in the NFL. (How does that make any sense?) If you want a power back, recruit a power back. Don't bulk up a finesse runner and think he'll be the same. This staff has been very poor at developing players and playing to our player's strength IMO. We've got talent. Enough talent that we should be better than 1-6 in SEC play.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HornetHog on November 19, 2017, 09:00:20 am
There is no way in hell Austin Allen was a 4 Star QB.  The spotlight should now be moving from the coaches and players to the people who decide how many stars are "awarded' to each prospect's ranking

This is the problem with today's system. The voters/sports writers who vote on who has how many stars,... is creating a trickle down problem.  Go ahead and vote on everybody else on the field, but when it comes to the QB position, I see more writers get it wrong than they get it right. (And for many reasons).  As a private QB coach, and a large program High School coach I can tell you this is not just at Arkansas but all over the country. The voters and star system unfortunately has become very relevant based on Alumni wants to see their teams recruit the highest 4-5 star kids they can get. Its now a big dollar business. However,...there's a lot of examples and proof that the ranking system is BS. H.Dale Nutt or Bobby Patrino very rarely had anything over a 3 star,(if ever) and won a few games.  Its coaching staff First, recruiting is Second.  Enos is and has been a BB puppet and he's a terrible QB recruiter and coach. Who in their right mind thinks a 270lb QB is going to work? Yea I know there was a 300lb freak at Kentucky a few years ago, but that's one guy out of all football in the past 100 years.

Petrino

Brohm 4*
Mallett 5*
Wilson 4*
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

I would just ask that when anyone thinks about a particular player to try and understand that someone like Ty Storey for example may have not had any chance to show his true ability.  Ty may very well be 4 star talent but this staff may have totally missed what he offered.  Anyone watching the Hogs can see several players misused or not used at all.  With coaching, we may be even better than any of us think.  I continue to say the biggest problem with the entire team is their mental state as it pertains to football.  Four star talent is pretty good.  I wonder if any other HC for us has fielded that many 4 stars at anyone time.  I surely don't know.

hogginbama

Gotta ask your self now, how many of those 4-5 stars are currently injured, have been injured during the year and play the same position. How many TEs are you going to put on the field at the same time. While we may have 22 of them, quiet a few play the same position and can't be on the field at the same time.

As someone else posted, a ton of those are freshmen, rs-freshmen and sophs. That means the experience of the team is not as talented, so you have a quandry. Play the younger players who will make mistakes at critical times due to inexperience or play the vets who are not as talented.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

pigskenG

I've been wondering if Agim could play middle linebacker. Thoughts ?

Adam Stokes

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite

This season we should be borderline Top 25 and at least middle of the pack in the SEC. Definitely underachieving, but our # of 4/5 star players really isn't anything amazing. It is disappointing to see teams below us who have beaten us this year.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsmash12 on November 18, 2017, 10:49:49 am
+1, I was having one of those thinking out loud moments LOL. Knowing I couldn't be the only one that have thought this.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"