Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Basketball All-Time Teams during the Arkansas Era

Started by jbcarol, April 09, 2010, 07:41:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rusvegashog

Lofton was fun to watch. Auburn IMO got a gem in Pearl. The league as a whole is trending upward.

jbcarol

Quote from: rusvegashog on November 05, 2014, 09:21:09 pm
Lofton was fun to watch. Auburn IMO got a gem in Pearl. The league as a whole is trending upward.

With the current controversy with Coach Tyndall and reported wrongdoing at So. Miss., Vol fans are asking, "what might have been"?
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on February 20, 2014, 09:10:32 pm

SI from 1999

Alex Byington @AUBlog  ·  2 hours ago

The last time @AuburnMBB sold out its season tix was following its 1999 SEC champ. season when the Tigers finished 4th in the final AP poll.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  11 hours ago
Great photo from @bennettphoto: Charles Barkley interacting with a fan. More: http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2014/11/live_updates_bruce_pearl_opens.html ...

jbcarol

Randy Rosetta @RandyRosetta  ·  8 hours ago
Connection to Dale Brown makes College Basketball Hall of Fame induction sweeter for Shaq  http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/11/connection_to_former_lsu_coach.html ...

QuoteHe was a reliable go-to scorer -- 21.6 points per game in 90 career games (27.6 as a sophomore). He was a tone-setting rebounder -- 1,217 in three seasons or 13.5 per game. And he was a defensive difference-maker with an SEC-record 412 blocked shots, each season setting a new conference single-season record.

Following two of his three seasons, O'Neal was the SEC Player of the Year and a first-team All-American and he hauled in four National Player of the year awards in 1991.

"You're talking about a young man who was one of the most dominant players who has ever played the college game," said current LSU coach Johnny Jones, who was an assistant during O'Neal's career.

Whether Brown saw that or not when he met O'Neal after a speaking engagement at a U.S. Army base in Wildflecken, West Germany didn't matter. What did is that in a bashful and gangly 13-year-old, he identified a kindred spirt and they immediately connected.

O'Neal was already 6-foot-9, but was more awkward than athletic at that point. He said he knew he wanted to play basketball, but lacked confidence that he could do so effectively.

So when O'Neal went and listened to Brown speak, he hung around afterward and sought what he thought would be a minute or two of time for advice.

Instead, Brown sat down with him for half an hour and permanently redirected both of their lives.

"This induction is going to be a double special moment for me because it was Coach Brown who took a little time with a shy little kid and he saw something in me I didn't see in myself," O'Neal said. "When my family came back to the states from Germany, he was still the same guy with me. He was like a father figure and he told me that if I came to LSU, he was going to do everything in his power to make sure I became a dominant college player..."

jbcarol

Sports Illustrated        ✔ @SInow

This week's national cover: @AntDavis23: It's time to really fear the brow!
11:42 AM - 2 Dec 2014

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on April 10, 2010, 09:49:26 am
Back to the West ('91-92 present)

State

All-Time Frontcourt

Erick Dampier, MVP of State's best team ever.  So good the ABA's all-time leading scorer had the public pronounciation of his name changed to match Erick's.

Jarvis Varnado, only NCAA player to have 1000/1000/500 (pts/rebs/blks).  Most appearances on all-league defensive team.  All-time blocks leader.

Lawrence Roberts, got immediate playing time after the Baylor scandal and was SEC POY.

All-Time Point Guard

Derrick Zimmerman, underrated leader of some excellent State teams in the first half of the aughts.

All-Time SG

Timmy Bowers, Zimmerman's running mate was a clutch shooter, great defender, and All-American.

Sixth Man Honoree

Dontae' Jones had one of the best runs evah during the '96 postseason helping State make the Final Four.

Frontcourt Honorable Mention

Moultrie, State's last NBA 1st round picks were Dampier and Jones in '96.

Mario Austin, multiple time All-SEC big man who could shoot

Charles Rhodes, recent All-SEC player

Horatio Webster, another multi-year All-SEC big

Horatio Webster's son is top 2015 SG recruit Malik Newman.

jbcarol

Top Kentucky players in the NBA, Week 6:

1. Anthony Davis

Davis is on pace to set the single season player efficiency rating held by Wilt Chamberlin at 31.82. Ant is at 33.28 right now.

2. Eric Bledsoe

3. John Wall

4. Patrick Patterson

5. Rajon Rondo

jbcarol

Matt Jones @KySportsRadio  ·  2 hours ago
Tony Delk will have his UK jersey retired in February

Delk will be the first UK Player to have his jersey retired since Jamal Mashburn

jbcarol

It's safe to say that this is John Wall's breakthrough season in the NBA.

ESPN Stats & Info        ✔ @ESPNStatsInfo
John Wall now has 2 games this season with 20 points and 17 assists... the rest of the NBA has zero
9:30 AM - 17 Dec 2014

QuoteWall is averaging 17.8 points and 10.6 assists a game for the Wizards. He's shooting a career-high 44.8 percent from the floor...

jbcarol

Leading Career NBA/ABA Scorers that Played in the SEC
Shaq                     LS   1993-2011  28,596
Dan Issel               UK  1971-85      27,482
Dominique Wilkins  UG  1983-99      26,668
Charles Barkley      AU  1985-2000  23,757
Bob Pettit              LS   1955-65      20,880
Bernard King         UT   1978-93      19,655
Dale Ellis               UT   1984-2000  19,004
Bailey Howell         MS  1960-71      17,770
Joe Johnson           AR  2002-          17,521+
Jeff Malone            MS  1984-96      17,231
Latrell Sprewell      AL   1993-2005  16,712
Pete Maravich        LS   1971-80      15,948
Antoine Walker      UK   1997-2008  15,647
Louie Dampier       UK   1968-1979  15,279
Cliff Hagan            UK   1957-1970  14,870
Allan Houston        UT   1994-2005  14,551

jbcarol

ESPN Stats & Info @ESPNStatsInfo  ·  14 hours ago
Jodie Meeks: 9 3-pointers for Pistons tonight, 1 shy of Joe Dumars' team record

Got hot a few games in his junior season in the SEC.

jbcarol

The last player to be UK basketball's version of Sisyphus, seemingly fated to forever play on a court tilted upward, was Rodrick Rhodes. He came to UK in 1992 as the nation's No. 2 prospect. Only a point guard named Jason Kidd was considered a better prospect.

As the latest star produced by famed St. Anthony's High in Jersey City, N.J., Rhodes had enough leverage to force then Coach Rick Pitino to publicly state he was staying in Lexington. Only then did Rhodes sign with UK. Three turbulent seasons later, he transferred to Southern California.

QuoteWhen asked if he listened to voices other than Pitino's, Rhodes blurted out, "Oh my God. Too many. I should have only been listening to Rick Pitino."

A big difference between then and now are the many more voices competing for a player's attention.

"It's even tougher now for these kids because of social media," Rhodes said. "And it's all in your face. God forbid if we had had that when we were playing."

Now the coach at Cordia High School in Knott County, Rhodes tries to dampen the impact of social media.

"People are vicious," he said. "Basically, they can take free shots at you behind keyboards, and there's nothing you can do."

As Kentucky coach, Pitino liked to talk about the precious present. Live for today. Do not fret about tomorrow until tomorrow. Rhodes was not heeding that advice.

"I was thinking I had to do this, I had to do that," he said. "I had to score this amount of points. I had to score that amount of points. And I didn't concentrate on what coach was asking me to do."

Rhodes claimed no special insight into Harrison's mind. But he said the UK player need not worry about his NBA stock.

"Now, whether he's caught up in being a top-five pick, a second-round pick, unrestricted free agent. If he's caught up in all that stuff, then he's making a huge mistake."

Rhodes sounded particularly impressed by Calipari saying in October that Harrison cared too much about playing well.

"Pretty powerful stuff ... ," he said. "I can relate to that."

A review of Rhodes' three seasons for Kentucky might surprise. He was a 1,000-point scorer (1,209 points, to be exact). He made the coaches' All-Southeastern Conference third team as a sophomore, their second team as a junior.

"Coach Cal said it best: I care," he said. "I still love basketball. I love Kentucky basketball. People think I'm jaded about the University of Kentucky. I'm not."

Rhodes had powerful proof. A daughter, Roderia Rhodes, is a freshman studying marketing at UK.

"Like Andrew, I cared too much," he said. "And I wanted to do well. Sometimes, when you care too much, you press. And when you press, sometimes things don't always work out like you want them to.

jbcarol

James Moran @SmartestMoran  ·  13 hours ago
So Shaq and Roy Jones Jr. are in the building, plus Keith Hornsby said yesterday that his dad Bruce is coming. Quite the trifecta #LSU

Some things will never change...

Ross Dellenger @DellengerAdv  ·  10 hours ago
JOHNNY LOST HIS RIGHT ARM IN HARD FOUGHT WIN. BUT RETAINED HIS HAND. RT @Sheadixon: Obligatory Kent Lowe fist bump.

[vine]OplKdxzxrL3[/vine]

Sheldon Mickles @MicklesAdvocate  ·  9 hours ago
#LSU players are engulfed by well-wishes in student section after 87-84 double-OT win over Georgia

jbcarol

Jorge Castillo @jorgeccastillo  ·  19 hours ago

There's a "John Wall Burger" at the Whole Foods in Foggy Bottom. It has Kentucky Bourbon BBQ sauce on it: http://wpo.st/fGF10  #Wizards

jbcarol

Active NBA Players who played for Kentucky with 1,000 or more career points:

Tayshaun Prince  10,807  2002-
Rajon Rondo         5,926  2006-
DeMarcus Cousins 5,851  2010-
Nazr Mohammed   5,803  1998-
John Wall              5,375  2010-
Brandon Knight     3,866  2011-
Jodie Meeks          3,652  2009-
Anthony Davis       3,155  2012-
Eric Bledsoe          2,752  2010-
Patrick Patterson   2,421  2010-
Chuck Hayes         2,389  2005-
Kidd-Gilchrist        1,407  2012-
Terrence Jones      1,081  2012-

jbcarol

Active NBA Players who played for Florida with 1,000 or more career points:

Mike Miller     10,856  2000-
David Lee       9,991   2005-
Al Horford       6,489  2007-
Udonis Haslem 6,226  2003-
Corey Brewer  5,019  2007-
Joakim Noah   4,968  2007-
Matt Bonner    4,478  2004-
M Speights      3,653  2008-
Cha. Parsons   3,634  2011-
Bradley Beal    2,516  2012-

EastexHawg

I know it's not during the "Arkansas era", but if schools were able to field their all-time teams LSU would be hard to beat:

Shaquille O'Neal
Bob Pettit
Pete Maravich
Chris Jackson

Three of the all-time greats plus Jackson, who was as prolific a scorer as we've had in the last 30 years.

Add Al Bundy or Sonny Bono as the 5th man and that would still be an awesome starting lineup.

jbcarol

Pettit, Maravich, and O'Neal were named to the "50 Greatest Players in NBA History" released in 1996.

jbcarol

Craig Pinkerton @SEC_Craig  ·  58 minutes ago

Allstate® SEC Basketball Legends Announced http://www.secsports.com/article/12199646/allstate%C2%AE-sec%E2%80%88basketball-legends-announced ...

QuoteThe 2015 class includes C.M. Newton, Alabama; Darrell Walker, Arkansas; Chris Porter, Auburn; Eddie Shannon, Florida; Jacky Dorsey, Georgia; Bob Burrow, Kentucky; Ronald Dupree, LSU; B.L. "Country" Graham, Ole Miss; Doug Hutton, Mississippi State; Derrick Chievous, Missouri; Jack Thompson, South Carolina; Johnny Darden, Tennessee; Sonny Parker, Texas A&M; Bruce Elder, Vanderbilt.

Each SEC Basketball Legend will be recognized at halftime of his institution's first game at the tournament.

Last year's group included Eddie Phillips, Alabama; Clint McDaniel, Arkansas; Gerald White, Auburn; Greg Stolt, Florida; D.A. Layne, Georgia; Tony Delk, Kentucky; Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf (Chris Jackson), LSU; Ansu Sesay, Ole Miss; Erick Dampier, Mississippi State; John Brown, Missouri; Gary Gregor, South Carolina; Dr. Ed Wiener, Tennessee; Dr. John Thornton, Texas A&M; Matt Freije, Vanderbilt

Darrell Walker, Guard 1980-1983

An Associated Press, Converse and UPI second-team All-American for basketball coach Eddie Sutton in 1983, Walker was also first-team All-Southwest Conference and named to the NABC all-district team. A letterman in 1981, '82 and '83, he played on teams going 24-8 with a SWC title and a trip to the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 in '81, 23-6 with another SWC title and NCAA Tournament bid in '82 and 26-4 with another trip to the Sweet 16 in '83. Those teams ended the season ranked No. 20 in 1981, No. 12 in '82 and No. 9 in '83. He averaged 11.3 points and 4.5 rebounds in 1981, 14.8 points and 5.2 rebounds in 1983, and 18.2 points and 5.7 rebounds in 1983. He is 18th on Arkansas' career scoring list with 1,325 points and led the team in scoring in '83. Walker is also fourth with 230 career steals, ninth with 333 free throws made and ninth with 302 assists. He was a first-round NBA Draft pick, the 12th overall selection, of the New York Knicks in 1983. He played 10 years in the NBA with the Knicks, Denver, Washington, Toronto, Detroit and Chicago, and he won an NBA championship with the Bulls in 1993. Walker has also served as a head coach, assistant coach and scout for various NBA teams.

jbcarol

TurnerSportsPR @TurnerSportsPR  ·  2 hours ago
#East All-Star Starters:
1) @JohnWall
2) @Klow7
3) @kingjames
4) @paugasol
5) @carmeloanthony

TurnerSportsPR @TurnerSportsPR  ·  2h 2 hours ago
#West All-Star Starters:
1) @StephenCurry30
2) @kobebryant
3) @AntDavis23
4) @MarcGasol
5) @blakegriffin32

jbcarol

Active NBA Players who played for LSU with 1,000 or more career points:

Brandon Bass       5,313  2005-
Marcus Thornton  4,786  2009-
Big Baby              3,948  2007-

jbcarol

Michael Bonner @MikeBBonner  ·  21 hours ago
At tomorrow's game MSU will celebrate the renaming of Coliseum Drive to Bailey Howell Drive in honor of the former MSU/NBA basketball great.

jbcarol

Active NBA Players who played for Arkansas with 1,000 or more career points:

Joe Johnson    17,817  2001-
Jannergo Pargo 3,175  2002-
Patrick Beverly  1,168  2012-

jbcarol

Marc Weiszer @marcweiszer  ·  14 minutes ago
J.J. Frazier's 37 points tie for ninth most all-time for a Georgia player and most for any Bulldog since Litterial Green's 38 in 1992.

J.J. Frazier will also be added to this in the Georgia record book after going 7 of 7 on 3-pointers.

jbcarol

Active NBA Player who played for Mizzou with 1,000 or more career points:

DeMarre Carroll  1,999  2009-

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  12 hours ago

Keep in mind, McDAAs aren't everything -- Florida only had one during back-to-back national title years in 06, 07, Corey Brewer.

jbcarol

Seth Davis @SethDavisHoops  ·  14 hours ago

VERY well played RT @DrewFranklinKSR: You've got one more day, @ClayTravisBGID.

Travis did pledge $5,000 to a charity of Cousins' choice.

jbcarol

LSU Basketball @LSUBasketball  ·  4 hours ago
45 years ago  on this date, @LSUBasketball's Pete Maravich became @HOOPSNCAA's all-time leading scorer:
http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=204872424 ...

jbcarol

Randy Rosetta @RandyRosetta  ·  19 hours ago

We all still have a little Pistol Pete in us: Ron Higgins http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2015/01/we_all_still_have_a_little_pis.html ...

QuoteSaturday marked the 45th anniversary of late LSU guard Maravich passing Oscar Robertson as college basketball's all-time leading scorer in a Jan. 31, 1970 game vs. Ole Miss at the old John M. Parker Agriculture Center...

We could be cleaning out our closets and we'll find an old basketball. Suddenly on our hardwood living room floor, we're doing drills straight from the Pistol's original "Homework Basketball" film that was shot as a clinic with the late Joe Dean Sr.

Our wives asks us why we're throwing the ball violently on the ground between our legs and catching it off the hard bounce behind our backs.

"It's the Pistol's Ricochet drill," we explain. "It improves your hand reaction. If I throw it incorrectly, it's going to take a bad bounce that I'll have to trap between my knees. And if I don't trap it, please have an icebag ready."

For all of us who will always believe the Pistol is the greatest player we've ever seen, there wasn't a bigger night than when he became and remains the greatest scorer in college basketball history.

Nobody described the scene better than retired Times Picayune/States-Item columnist Peter Finney who wrote, "Sitting and standing, they were jammed into LSU's Cajun Cow Palace, all 11,000 of 'em, with a feeling of membership in an exclusive club, a feeling shared by folks who watched Roger Maris hit his 61st home run, Bobby Jones hole out for the 1930 Grand Slam and Roger Bannister break the four-minute barrier in the mile."

Bud Johnson, LSU's sports information director at the time, remembers having no empty seats on press row for the first time ever.

"We had a lot of national press there that we never had," said Johnson, who now oversees the Andonie Sports Museum on the LSU campus. "One of Pete's goals was to get to New York City to play in the NIT in Madison Square Garden, the mecca of basketball.

"So while Oscar Robertson's record was important to everyone that night, Pete wanted to make a good impression in the national press, particularly the East Coast writers, who had never seen him play. He felt it would get LSU to the NIT."

jbcarol

With Thornton missing at South Carolina, Fox gave more minutes to Houston Kessler, a 6-8 redshirt sophomore whose father, Chad, played for the Bulldogs and whose late uncle, Alec Kessler, was a Georgia star.

The 6-11 Alec Kessler was UGa's all-time leading scorer until his record was surpassed by Litterial Green. He was 12th overall pick in the 1990 NBA draft. Kessler became an orthopedic surgeon in the Pensacola area.  He died of a heart attack during a pick up game at age 40.

jbcarol

Kentucky's all-time team versus Arkansas

Tony Delk scored 116 points against Arkansas from '93-96.

QuotePorkers Pack a Powerful Punch in Pummeling Cats:

It was yet another "close but no cigar" game for the Cats as they fell to the Arkansas Razorbacks at Bud Walton Arena 94-92 in a well played, close contest. Billy Packer made the stunning prediction that UK and Arkansas probably would be meeting in the NCAA title game early in the telecast.

Kentucky started the scoring with a Sheppard 3, but the lead changed hands several times until a McCarty 12 footer put the Cats up 11-10. They build a 16-11 lead on the strength of a Delk FT, a Riddick basket from a Delk assist, and a Sheppard steal in backcourt and dunk. Following the dunk, Jeff hung on the rim momentarily (as permitted by the rules), to avoid coming down on Dwight Stewart who was directly underneath but Jeff was assessed a technical foul anyway. Thurman hit the technical FTs, and Arkansas rallied to tie the game at 16-16.

The Tony Delk Show began as the Cats surged to 24-16 on a Delk steal and layup, a highly arching Delk 3 from the corner, and a very long Delk 3. ... The Hogs hung tough, however, and stayed in the game on a nice Robinson cut, a basket by Williamson and some Williamson FTs. They closed to within 33-31 when Anthony Epps missed a 3, but Delk resumed his hot shooting with another highly arching 3 and a later 3 (to put the Cats up 39-31 with about 5 minutes remaining in the half)...

UK was clearly playing for the last shot. Instead of passing off, Sheppard tried to go 1 on 3 and had his shot blocked with 0.8 seconds left. McDaniel was fouled by Sheppard on the rebound, and he hit 1 of 2 FTs to make the final margin 94-92 Arkansas.

7' Bill Spivey scored 22 in UK's 57-53 win in Robinson Auditorium in '50.

QuoteGame Writeup - by Orville Henry, Arkansas Gazette

Arkansas Nosed Out by Ruppmen, 57-53

Porkers Stay in Running Until Final Three Seconds

An altered Arkansas offense turned the Razorbacks loose for pot shots at the wicket from anywhere and a startled team of Kentucky Wildcats had to hustle for points all the way in just shading the Porkers, 57 to 53, here last night.

A sellout crowd of 2,500 - held to that by the Auditorium capacity - screamed down to the final three seconds. It wasn't until that point that Adolph Rupp's defending National champs were able to draw an easy breath.

Tops on the scoreboard most of the game, the Razorbacks got life for the last two minutes when Bob Ambler, seemingly fired up after a listless 10 minutes of play at the start, wheeled under seven-foot Bill Spivey for a lay-up shot. That left Arkansas trailing by just 51-49.

It was up for Spivey to all but cinch the victory. He pushed in a two-pointer from under the rim for a 53-49 edge. But Norman Price matched that one with a follow-up shot for Arkansas. Spivey also got a bat-in after a miss - the simplest sort of shot for him - and the Wildcats again paced by two buckets.

There was hope for the Porks, though, as Gerald Hudspeth whipped in a swisher from the side. Kentucky went down the court with a minute left and two points in the lead.

The stall lasted 50 seconds. Finally Spivey was left in the clear near the hoop. His easy shove shot rimmed, however, and there was a scramble for the ball. Dale Barnstable came up with it, came up shooting, and the try was good. Arkansas barely got the ball into the forecourt at the gun.

Jodie Meeks scored 45 points in UK's win in BWA from 2009. He had 15 in BWA in '07.

QuoteFAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - Batman may have been without Robin but that didn't stop the superhero from riding to the rescue yet again.

Jodie Meeks put on another super-human performance, dropping 45 points to carry Kentucky past Arkansas 79-63 despite star forward Patrick Patterson sitting out with a sprained ankle. It was Meeks' third 45-plus point game of the season but may have been his most impressive given Patterson's absence.

Meeks set a Bud Walton Arena record for points, breaking the 39 former Hogs' sharpshooter Alex Dillard rang up in a 1993 game. It was the second time the Cats' junior guard redefined the scoring standard in an opposing Southeastern Conference gym this season, joining his school-record 54 points at Tennessee on Jan. 13.

Jack Givens scored 23 in UK's 64-59 win in the 1978 Final Four. He would add 41 v. Duke

Keith Bogans scored 47 points in his two freshman games against Arkansas

QuotePlaying with a tenacious style reminiscent of their "40 minutes of hell" days, Arkansas stunned No. 16 Kentucky in the quarterfinals of the SEC Tournament. The Razorbacks converted 27 Wildcat turnovers into 33 points and scored almost at will against the Wildcats' vaunted defense en route to an 86-72 victory.

"Maybe it's time to get back to `40 minutes of hell,'" Richardson said. "Tonight seemed like a night to run the horses and they did a great job of running it. When you really get after folks and they turn it over, that's the difference in the game."

It marked Kentucky's first loss in the Georgia Dome in 14 appearances, Arkansas' first win over the Cats in the SEC Tourney and the third major upset of the day. In earlier action, No. 8 Tennessee and No. 11 Florida were eliminated by unranked South Carolina and slumping Auburn, respectively.

But the Kentucky loss may have been the biggest shocker.

The Cats made just six of 24 shots in the first half in falling behind 36-22. The deficit swelled to as much as 21 in the second half as Kentucky appeared helpless to counter Arkansas' quickness.

"I thought we just got beat by a team that showed a lot more quickness and a lot more aggressiveness," Kentucky coach Tubby Smith said. "We couldn't hit shots and dug ourselves such a hole. I don't know if we were ready. I guess we weren't because we played so poorly to start the game."

Arkansas took advantage, racing to a 10-3 lead in the opening three minutes on five second-chance points and five straight by freshman forward Joe Johnson.

The hot start for Johnson, the SEC's freshman of the year, would prove ominous. A non-factor with just 10 points on 4-for-11 shooting in the loss at Rupp Arena, Johnson burned the Cats for a team-high 21 on this night, including 3-pointers, baseline jumpers and drives to the basket.

The Razorbacks also came out hot from 3-point range, getting a pair of treys from Teddy Gipson, one from Blake Eddins and another from Johnson in extending their lead to 27-11 at the 10:19 mark.

Kentucky scored the final six points of the half, but still trailed by 14.

The Cats showed an initial spark to open the second period, cutting the lead to nine (46-37) on a three-point play by Tayshaun Prince, but watched as Arkansas responded with a 14-2 run to reclaim the momentum. Kentucky surrendered an open 3 to Eddins and fouled Brandon Dean on a long shot to help dig its hole deeper.

"We played into their hands," Smith said. "We didn't take care of the basketball."

Arkansas went 5:31 with just one basket, but the Cats were unable to take advantage. Chris Walker scored eight points and Johnson added six down the stretch to seal the improbable victory.

Johnson led five Razorbacks in double figures, including Gipson (16), Walker (12), Dean (12) and Eddins (10). Arkansas shot 46 percent (31 of 68) against a UK defense holding SEC opponents to under 40 percent for the season and, despite playing at such a frenzied pace, committed just six turnovers.

Freshman guard Keith Bogans scored a game-high 25 points to pace Kentucky.

"We looked very lethargic, very scared," Smith said. "That's something we've been doing extremely well, taking care of the basketball, so you wonder what happened."

Arkansas (17-14) advances to face LSU in Saturday's semifinals. The Razorbacks will likely need to win the tournament in order to make the NCAA's field of 64.

Brandon Knight had 26 points on 8-23 (1-8 from 3) in his only trip to BWA.

Arkansas won 77-76 in OT.

Anthony Davis had 27 points on 10-12 FG, 14 boards, and 7 blocks as UK won his only game against the Hogs in Rupp.

H/T: http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/statistics/Arkansas.html

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  4 hours ago
Today in sports history: LSU's 'Pistol' Pete Maravich torches Alabama for 69 points | http://ow.ly/IESha  [YouTube highlights and Pistol Pete mix available at link]

QuoteForty-five years ago today, inside a jam-packed Memorial Coliseum in Tuscaloosa, Pete Maravich made college basketball history.

Maravich set an NCAA Division I record with 69 points in a 106-104 loss to Alabama on Feb. 7, 1970. The 6-foot-5 LSU senior known as "Pistol Pete" connected on 26 of 57 field-goal attempts that Saturday afternoon, and went 17 of 21 from the free-throw line.

LSU came into that game 12-5 on the season, while Alabama -- not yet the national power it would become in the mid-1970s under coach C.M. Newton -- was scuffling along at 5-12. The Crimson Tide led 44-40 at halftime, having held Maravich to 22 points -- about half of his average.

The fireworks began in the second half. Maravich poured in 47 points after the break, and was also at the center of a brawl that apparently began when he mistook a congratulatory gesture from a court-side photographer for a shove. The ensuing fracas led to several Alabama football players coming out of the stands to join in...

Newspaper clipping with photo and caption detailing the post game brawl

jbcarol

Cecil Hurt @CecilHurt  ·  12 minutes ago

Mo Williams has been traded from Minnesota to Charlotte, per @wojYahooNBA.

jbcarol

2015 NBA All-Star @NBAAllStar  ·  10 hours ago
The @HoustonRockets' @patbev21 will replace Wizards guard John Wall in the #TacoBellSkills. #NBAAllStarNYC

jbcarol

Scott Charlton @Scott_Charlton

#tbt This little girl grew up to be a cold blooded assassin. #BBN @ThatEppsKidd_
10:16 PM - 12 Feb 2015

Anthony Epps was the last piece of the puzzle for UK's '96 national champs. Photo from Senior Day in '97.

SEC Network @SECNetwork  ·  11 hours ago

Makayla Epps (42 pts) is the first #SEC women's player to score 40 points in a game in the last 5 years! #LikeAGirl

Put back buzzer beater helped UK beat State in the second OT.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  18 hours ago

A look at former Gators in the NBA: At the All-Star break, here's a look at how former Gator players are doing... http://bit.ly/17PBSZu

QuoteAl Horford, C – averaging 15.6 points, 7.4 rebounds and 3.3 assists for the Atlanta Hawks.

Joakim Noah, C – averaging 7.7 points, 9.7 rebounds and 3.7 assists for the Chicago Bulls.

Bradley Beal, G – averaging 15.0 points, 3.0 assists and 1.8 steals for the Washington Wizards.

Chandler Parsons, F – averaging 15.6 points, 4.8 rebounds and 2.4 assists for the Dallas Mavericks.

David Lee, C – ...

jbcarol

Brian WindhorstVerified account ‏@WindhorstESPN
A total of 37 players traded today (not including picks), most ever on deadline day. Average in last 5 years was 24 players.
3:24 PM - 19 Feb 2015

Some of the Former SEC-connected players involved in transactions

QuoteThe Milwaukee Bucks send Brandon Knight to the Suns but get back Michael Carter-Williams from the Philadelphia 76ers.

The Suns (who we promise weren't in every single deal) send 5-9 sixth man Isaiah Thomas to the Boston Celtics for a future first-round pick and shooting guard Marcus Thornton.

The Pistons brought back Tayshaun Prince, the small forward who started for their 2004 championship team, in a three-player trade with the Memphis Grizzlies.

Enes Kanter to OKC.

Heat acquire Dragic from Suns in three-team trade... New Orleans Pelicans get: C Justin Hamilton...

Portland Trail Blazers get:
F Arron Afflalo
F Alonzo Gee in a trade with the Nuggets

Wolves trade Mo Williams to Hornets

jbcarol

Louie Dampier, one of Kentucky's best pure shooters in history, has finally made it to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

A seven-time All-Star Game performer in the old American Basketball Association, Dampier, along with the other new Hall of Famers, will be enshrined during the festivities in Springfield, Mass., on Sept. 11.

Quote"Well, I might be a little bit prejudiced, (but) I think he should have been there a long time ago," said ex-UK All-American Dan Issel this past weekend during an appearance in Lexington. "Louie is the all-time leading scorer in the history of the ABA and the all-time leading three-point scorer.

"And most importantly, he is a dear friend and I was more excited when I heard Louie made it in the Hall of Fame than I was when I went in (1993)."

Said another Hall of Famer and ex-UK standout Adrian "Odie" Smith, "It's a great honor. I'm so happy for Louie, happy for his family, happy for the University of Kentucky. I know I went up in 2010 (as a member of the 1960 gold medal-winning U.S. Olympic basketball team). It was a great experience and he'll have a great time. I'm very happy for him."

Smith, a member of the UK's 1958 national championship team, played in the NBA for 10 years, nearly all with the old Cincinnati Royals, and one year in the ABA. He was MVP of the 1966 NBA All-Star Game.

And Smith also played against Dampier and the Kentucky Colonels during the 1971-72 season when he was with the Virginia Squires.

"One thing he didn't believe in the ABA was assists, and I know that's true because he never passed it to me," smiled Issel, who is UK men's all-time leading scorer with 2,138 points. "So I know he didn't pass it to that many people, but for Louie, for someone who has achieved as much as Louie did in the ABA, he is the most humble guy I've ever met and that's why I love him."

Dampier is one of a few players to play all nine years the ABA was in existence (1967-1976). He is one of two men to have played all nine seasons with one team, the Colonels. The Indiana native finished first all-time in the ABA in games played (728), minutes played (27,770), points scored (13,726) and assists (4,044).

He finished his pro playing career in 1979 after three years with NBA's San Antonio Spurs.

Dampier, a former UK All-American who was a member of the 1966 Rupp's Runts (along with teammate Pat Riley), also served as an assistant coach with the Denver Nuggets when Issel was the squad's head coach.

In UK history, Dampier is one of seven players who have scored 42 or more points in a single game. (Issel, Jodie Meeks, Melvin Turpin and Cliff Hagan each scored at least 42 points more than once.)

He had his best game as a Wildcat in 1966 when he pumped in what would be his career-high 42 points, leading second-ranked Kentucky to a 105-90 victory over No. 3 Vanderbilt in Nashville...

jbcarol

FINALLY, UK announces they will retire Tony Delk's jersey

QuoteUK is retiring Tony Delk's jersey in a ceremony on February 21. That's the Auburn game, which means it will also be Bruce Pearl's return to Rupp.

Delk was named the Most Outstanding Player of the 1996 Final Four on the way to UK's national championship, earned first-team All-American honors as a senior, and led the Wildcats in scoring three straight years. He still holds the UK record in three-pointers with 283, ranks second in career steals with 201, and is fifth in scoring with 1,890 points.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Clay: Tony Delk's journey to Rupp rafters began with sacrifice

QuoteUpon hearing the news, the first thing Tony Delk did was call his brother.

"I thought it would be the rightful thing to do," Tony said.

After all, had it not been for David Delk, Tony might not have come to play basketball at Kentucky in the first place. Had it not been for David Delk, Tony might not have stayed.

"He was the one who convinced me to come here," Tony Delk said Friday...

"I took a lot of pride (in my defense) because I had to," Delk said. "Coach Pitino was like, if you don't play defense you're not going to play. That registered fast..."

jbcarol

ESPN Stats & Info @ESPNStatsInfo  ·  8 hours ago
Sat. was the 45th anniversary of Maravich-Issel combining for 115 Pts. Pistol Pete made 23 FG in that game. As a team, LSU made 22 FG on Sat

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2012-02-17/stats-history-maravich-issel-shootout

QuoteLSU's Pete Maravich (64) & Kentucky's Dan Issel (51) set the Division I record for combined points, two opposing players on DI teams in a game (115).

jbcarol

Josh Ward @Josh_Ward  ·  6 hours ago

Scotty Hopson (@Shopson32) had a monster night in the D-League - https://twitter.com/ChrisPalmerNBA/status/570423626299613185 ...

#LineOfTheNight (D-League Edition): Scotty Hopson (@Shopson32) 52 pts, 7 rebs, 4 asts, 4 stls, 21-28 FG, 4-9 3FG, 6-7 FT, W (in 36 min)

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  Feb 25

Rajon Rondo is having issues with a coach. Again. Talk about predictable.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Darren Rovell @darrenrovell  ·  3 hours ago

Shaquille O'Neal turns 43 today. There are at least 17 college football players & 9 college basketball players named Shaq or Shaquille.

Not counting Shaquery Wilson

jbcarol

Ron Higgins @RonHigg  ·  22 hours ago
Jordan Mickey's vacation results in LSU's biggest win of the year @TigerDroppings@dandydonlsu  http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2015/03/jordan_mickeys_excellent_vacat.html ...

The finest game of Johnny Jones' LSU coaching career. Huge!

QuoteJohnny Jones made one of those decisions Saturday in the Tigers' regular-season finale at Arkansas. He sat injured starter Jordan Mickey, LSU's best overall player and the shot-blocking anchor of its defense.

Against all odds in the SEC's noisiest road arena, facing the No. 18-ranked team in the country that runs and presses more than any squad in the league, everyone wearing a purple uniform bought heart and soul into Jones' vision.

It was appropriate on the day LSU had such odds stacked against it, the Tiger with unquestionably the biggest heart helped Jones justify his faith in his team and confirm his decision to sit Mickey...

And since the committee looks at every factor when considering teams, including injuries and suspensions, not playing Mickey vs. the Razorbacks put LSU in a win-stupendous win situation...

jbcarol

Matt Jones @KySportsRadio  ·  24 hours ago
Anthony Davis had 43 points tonight on 17 of 23 shooting...

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  5 minutes ago

15 greatest SEC basketball players of last 50 years | http://ow.ly/KdsAg