Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ken Hamlin - Truth

Started by jgphillips3, November 09, 2017, 09:05:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jgphillips3

HoggyCat

Except Bert not being on the hot seat. It's glowing white.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

hawgon

Ken Hamlin wouldn't see the field with this coach.  He is too challenging to be one of Bert's guys.  We can't have kids with that kind of attitude on our team.

Steef

jgphillips3

When we on this board say the same things, we are ridiculed sometimes.  There you have a Hall of Honor Razorback and 8 year NFL player saying the same things.  Now, he tried very hard not to say "coaching" and instead just say he didn't know, but when you say there "are so many" things wrong it's hard to know where to start, including bad technique, lack of aggression, lack of effort, poor recruiting and being in the wrong place...that is coaching.

Steef

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 09, 2017, 09:25:40 am
When we on this board say the same things, we are ridiculed sometimes.  There you have a Hall of Honor Razorback and 8 year NFL player saying the same things.  Now, he tried very hard not to say "coaching" and instead just say he didn't know, but when you say there "are so many" things wrong it's hard to know where to start, including bad technique, lack of aggression, lack of effort, poor recruiting and being in the wrong place...that is coaching.

Not entirely fair.

We didn't reach this point all of a sudden. It was a gradual decline. And in fact, Bret's Hogs improved overall, for the first three years.

I was one of those who held onto optimism for a long time, hoping the mistakes were an anomaly.

Also, no decent fan WANTS to find fault with a player's effort. We want to hope someone just had a bad day.

This season just rammed it down the throats of all optimists...that lots of areas in our program are falling short of 100%.

Including (sadly) effort.

Ex-Trumpet

Great article.  Does Hamlin have any eligibility left?  :)
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

cjack

He's not a real fan.  Real fans don't question anything.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

goodguytex

Kenny Hamlin is pretty much saying what many in the Hog fan base are thinking. And Hamlin is a really great guy too. I've met him before. Very approachable, and easy to talk to. And the dude knows defense. Hogs need to put him on staff.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: cjack on November 09, 2017, 09:35:27 am
He's not a real fan.  Real fans don't question anything.

Maybe it's time for some Hog alums to go Code Red in the athletic department, let 'em know they're there!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Quickdraw

I miss that defense he played on.

hawg1221

It's nice to hear him talk about the good old days when defense was played here.

DeltaBoy

Good for Ken the Hammer.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

zebradynasty

Pretty much sums it up although I feel he was being nice about not knowing if it was lack of talent. 8 years in the NFL... he knows what talent looks like. All that aside I have never seen a defense that was any good without at least one hitter. Harris is about as close as it gets the lack of aggression as a unit is shocking.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hawg1221 on November 09, 2017, 09:38:05 am
It's nice to hear him talk about the good old days when defense was played here.

Exactly.  I'm sick of hearing about how Hogs will never be able to field a good defense.

The NewEra

Keith Burns defenses were electric.  I long for that type of defense to return again to this program.

hawgon

So wait, is he insinuating that none of our defensive players have any dog in them?

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 09:40:17 am
So wait, is he insinuating that none of our defensive players have any dog in them?

No, he's saying they eat their dogs with ketchup.

younghog

Ken Said it..

Very respected and to the point..

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

cjack

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 09, 2017, 09:37:53 am
Maybe it's time for some Hog alums to go Code Red in the athletic department, let 'em know they're there!!

Yes!
Woooo Pig Soooie!

hawg1221

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 09, 2017, 09:39:13 am
Exactly.  I'm sick of hearing about how Hogs will never be able to field a good defense.

What's really unfortunate is the Hogs never seem to have a good offense and defense in the same year. Or should I say it hasn't happened often.

jkstock04

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 09, 2017, 09:05:28 am
He sees what we see:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/nov/08/state-hogs-hamlin-doesnt-what-he-sees-defensively/
That's gotta sting a lot of mantras and narratives. Similar echos to what many of the "idiots" on Hogville say.

You don't see too many guys playing today with the headhunter mindset of a Kenny Hamlin. Bamas players have that mindset, but there ain't one guy on our defense with that mentality. That's simply the current culture of our program. Soft and poorly coached.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hawg1221 on November 09, 2017, 09:48:13 am
What's really unfortunate is the Hogs never seem to have a good offense and defense in the same year. Or should I say it hasn't happened often.

Ironically, it was under Nutt!!

zebradynasty

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 09:40:17 am

Heck he doesn't have to insinuate....tune in on Saturdays and see for yourself. Our defense has no passion, no pride, no aggression and the sad part is you don't have to have talent to have that!

jkstock04

Quote from: The NewEra on November 09, 2017, 09:39:39 am
Keith Burns defenses were electric.  I long for that type of defense to return again to this program.
You think Jeff would allow for something like that? No chance...back then we had guys on our team like Sasha Lancaster and Mark Pierce. Guys with some off the field baggage, but were an absolute nightmare when the helmets went on.

Our culture now has changed to where you must have good table manners and be 30 minutes early to meetings or you won't see the field or probably be a member of the team.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 09, 2017, 09:55:34 am
You think Jeff would allow for something like that? No chance...back then we had guys on our team like Sasha Lancaster and Mark Pierce. Guys with some off the field baggage, but were an absolute nightmare when the helmets went on.

Our culture now has changed to where you must have good table manners and be 30 minutes early to meetings or you won't see the field or probably be a member of the team.

Lancaster today would probably be accused of painting his face up like Al Jolsen by some p-wad and be kicked out of school.

jgphillips3

When I was growing up, and I'm about to mark a half century here, Arkansas didn't always have the most talent.  However, we would find a slightly less talented player with grit who would either knock you D@*k in the dirt or hold you up for 2-5 of his buddies to do so.  Even if we lost to better talent we always played hard and you knew they left it on the field, instilling pride even in a losing effort.  More than anything, I miss that heart and pride we used to have.  If we can't get all 5 stars like Bama, then give me 11 kids who Bama doesn't want to see again until next year.  You can have pride in losing to a better team if you fought them tooth and nail.  The kind of losing we do now, that has gotten MUCH worse since Bielema has all his own recruits, is shameful.

The NewEra

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 09, 2017, 09:55:34 am

Nolan apparently told Bielema after our epic win over Ole Miss that "all sickness is not death".  That's true, but in the case of this football team we are on our death bed.  We need an infusion of Razorback blood back into this program for a return to the days of smash mouth defense.  The virus you mention of the pc betwetter culture has certainly taken it's toll.  There's no reason we can't get headhunters with an attitude and bring them along.  It use to be if a kid did something wrong you ran them till their tongues were dragging the ground.  Now they make the whole team pay a price by removing them from the team or suspending them.  Enough of recruiting only choir boys.  Let's Make Arkansas Football  Great Again!

jkstock04

Quote from: The NewEra on November 09, 2017, 10:11:43 am
Nolan apparently told Bielema after our epic win over Ole Miss that "all sickness is not death".  That's true, but in the case of this football team we are on our death bed.  We need an infusion of Razorback blood back into this program for a return to the days of smash mouth defense.  The virus you mention of the pc betwetter culture has certainly taken it's toll.  There's no reason we can't get headhunters with an attitude and bring them along.  It use to be if a kid did something wrong you ran them till their tongues were dragging the ground.  Now they make the whole team pay a price by removing them from the team or suspending them.  Enough of recruiting only choir boys.  Let's Make Arkansas Football  Great Again!
You bring up a great point...used to when someone messed up they were punished via physical activity. Maybe even the whole team if one person messed up.. But as far as being suspended or removed from the team...it would've had to be something bad of epic proportions. Being suspended for 1 quarter of play for dumb stuff is a joke. Make them bear crawl for 500 yards, that will toughen their millennial minds up some plus teach them a disciplinary lesson.

But alas, these days....at least with our current culture, things are different.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

The NewEra

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 09, 2017, 10:17:41 am
You bring up a great point...used to when someone messed up they were punished via physical activity. Maybe even the whole team if one person messed up.. But as far as being suspended or removed from the team...it would've had to be something bad of epic proportions. Being suspended for 1 quarter of play for dumb stuff is a joke. Make them bear crawl for 500 yards, that will toughen their millennial minds up some plus teach them a disciplinary lesson.

But alas, these days....at least with our current culture, things are different.

I remember in my days when our whole team had to endure extra punishment because of the actions of one, or a few, the team policed themselves.  That crap didn't happen again, but I don't see that type of leadership or accountability anywhere on this team. 

Piggfoot

Ken Hamlin's words are basically the same as mine in a previous threads where I said I saw our players getting beat and It wasn't all bad coaching.

"Overall, we just said that they aren't tough enough, not efficient enough," Hamlin said. "They have to be tougher and get off the field on third down.
"I told them that I didn't see the passion, the accountability from within. I don't see the physical toughness. I told them I didn't know if they knew what it meant to have that Hog on their helmet.
Hamlin has watched the transition from the 4-3 to a 3-4 scheme on defense. He played both in the NFL. He isn't sure that it's the scheme, or just the lack of ability.
"I don't know if it's the lack of talent, or lack of heart," he said. "Maybe it's a combination of both. I do see the difference when they line up against Alabama. But if you give it your all, I can live with that. I don't see that.
"I will say that I don't know what to correct. It's to the point that there are too many things to correct just one thing."
Are the players motivated?
"You shouldn't have to be motivated to play this game," Hamlin said. "If you aren't motivated, you shouldn't be out there."
"I see players break loose and guys change speed (in pursuit). That can't happen. I see people back up to make a tackle. That should never be on film. There's too much of that. I know they can definitely do a better job of recruiting.

Coaches can teach but players have to perform. Fans don't know if the players haven't been taught or not they only see the performance. Is that poor performance due to bad coaching, no talent, lack of speed, lack of football instincts, lack of heart or what? I suspect it's some of all.
I agree we need to recruit better but I don't know how to do that. I have an idea because I don't believe we do enough even in our state in developing relationships with highschool coaches. That relationship needs to be maintained whether or not a particular school has a player of interest.
I don't see why Lunny's job can't be parceled out to the reciever and backs coaches.
That should give Lunny time to court our high school coaches and maybe pass out a few tickets.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

phadedhawg

He was one of my favorite Seahawks until he got jacked up in a street fight outside a bar in Seattle.  He broke his hand and was hit in the head with a sign or sign post.  Missed the rest of the season and then went to Dallas.  Great player...wish we could have kept him longer.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 09, 2017, 09:25:40 am

Yes it is. I would LOVE to see him come home as DCord.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Letsroll1200

Ken Hamlin was tough from day one. He was not the biggest or the fastest but he was a great football player for the Razorbacks.

PossumFan

"If you aren't motivated, you shouldn't be out there."

I've heard Brian Mitchell, a straight-shooter and one of my all-time favorite Redskins, say the same thing many times. I know the coaching is mostly at fault, but I don't see a whole lot of passion from most of the players. It's evolved into a negative culture that will be hard for the next guy to turn around.

Kevin

him & Atwater could not play in today's watered down version of football
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Kevin on November 09, 2017, 01:55:01 pm

Lol, very few defensive hall of famers could play today!!

Vantage 8 dude

No doubt being able to play good defense requires skills and athleticism. It also requires practicing the correct technique when it comes to pass coverage and tackling. Having said that the one thing some players fail to realize is that it above and beyond all that it also takes a particular MIND SET-a toughness and willingness to "bring the wood"-whether it's tackling a ball carrier or covering a WR. Yep, it's a quality you see year after year with teams such as Alabama and that's because they'd more scared of their HC than they are any opposing ball player.

Guys like Hamlin, Atwater and Lasker had it. Guys like Bua, Speight, Flowers and others also had that "killer" attitude. When they were on the field they didn't take prisoners and they didn't apologize for it. Not much, if any, of that around anymore.

10thPlanet

hawgmasta

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 09, 2017, 09:33:30 am
Great article.  Does Hamlin have any eligibility left?  :)

I'm sure we could whip up a new social security number and birth certificate of a certain Denny Samlin outta Fordyce or something.

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 09, 2017, 10:01:22 am
When I was growing up, and I'm about to mark a half century here, Arkansas didn't always have the most talent.  However, we would find a slightly less talented player with grit who would either knock you D@*k in the dirt or hold you up for 2-5 of his buddies to do so.  Even if we lost to better talent we always played hard and you knew they left it on the field, instilling pride even in a losing effort.  More than anything, I miss that heart and pride we used to have.  If we can't get all 5 stars like Bama, then give me 11 kids who Bama doesn't want to see again until next year.  You can have pride in losing to a better team if you fought them tooth and nail.  The kind of losing we do now, that has gotten MUCH worse since Bielema has all his own recruits, is shameful.
The counselors bringing that wood in this thread.
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

HognotinMemphis

I thought how he worded his thoughts was very polite. I can imagine what he is really thinking and what he would like to say but won't. He said the defense does not play with abandon and passion. That is obvious to anyone with a pulse. You don't have to be a former All-American/NFL player to see that with Bielema's defenses of the past couple of years. They are the weakest link on the team. See current stats for SEC. Hogs' D is 11th in rush defense and 10th in pass defense out of the 14 teams in the conference. Pretty sad. Can't win with that kind of defense and they don't win...hence Bielema's 11-26 SEC record in 4+ seasons.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Kevin on November 09, 2017, 01:55:01 pm
Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 09, 2017, 01:58:37 pm
Lol, very few defensive hall of famers could play today!!

I think that this a lot bigger deal than most people think it is.  The toughness of a defense is often best displayed by the play of the secondary.  The Atwater and Hamlin style would get you tossed out of half the games they played in.  Combine that with the fact defensive backs spend all summer playing seven on seven and physical secondary play has become thing of the past for most teams.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

goodguytex

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 11, 2017, 06:42:44 am
I think that this a lot bigger deal than most people think it is.  The toughness of a defense is often best displayed by the play of the secondary.  The Atwater and Hamlin style would get you tossed out of half the games they played in.  Combine that with the fact defensive backs spend all summer playing seven on seven and physical secondary play has become thing of the past for most teams.
But that's only a minor part of what makes a great defense.... It's about being in the best defensive position to make a play, looking for the ball, being in the receivers face, creating confusion for the offense at the LOS, being in position to make a tackle and wrapping up and not allowing the offense to get any yards after the catch, not allowing the back to gain a yard after contact.

Saban has been making it happen at Alabama. Venables has too at Clemson. So has Chavis. Even though at A&M he hasn't had as much success. Muschamp has been able to do that. Manny Diaz did that some. It's still very doable. But it's not just about having the best talent. It's about having coaches knowing their opponents moves and tendencies inside and out, and being able to anticipate what they will do and make the necessary plays to at least hold an offense in check. Coaching plays a big role in a great defense.

Swestwill66

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 09, 2017, 09:57:48 am
Lancaster today would probably be accused of painting his face up like Al Jolsen by some p-wad and be kicked out of school.
How about Tony Bua ? Was outta place a lot and got some penalties but he was going a hundred miles an hour every play! Guy had a motor!

Swestwill66

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 11, 2017, 06:42:44 am
Seems like any hit with pop gets reviewed to see if the player will be ejected.

The NewEra

Quote from: Swestwill66 on November 11, 2017, 08:46:54 am
How about Tony Bua ? Was outta place a lot and got some penalties but he was going a hundred miles an hour every play! Guy had a motor!

Since Trey Flowers Senior season it's been as if our coaches have put governors on our defensive players motors.  Top speed 55-mph.  Our secondary wasn't very good back then either, but at least the D-Line and Speight picked up the slack for them in the second half of that year.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: The NewEra on November 09, 2017, 09:39:39 am

He's a High School coach now. Call him home!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: goodguytex on November 11, 2017, 07:55:30 am
But that's only a minor part of what makes a great defense.... It's about being in the best defensive position to make a play, looking for the ball, being in the receivers face, creating confusion for the offense at the LOS, being in position to make a tackle and wrapping up and not allowing the offense to get any yards after the catch, not allowing the back to gain a yard after contact.

Saban has been making it happen at Alabama. Venables has too at Clemson. So has Chavis. Even though at A&M he hasn't had as much success. Muschamp has been able to do that. Manny Diaz did that some. It's still very doable. But it's not just about having the best talent. It's about having coaches knowing their opponents moves and tendencies inside and out, and being able to anticipate what they will do and make the necessary plays to at least hold an offense in check. Coaching plays a big role in a great defense.
Totally agree.  My point was one part of a larger problem.  Coaching and heart are two things that need to improve just as much or more so than just being intimidators in the defensive backfield.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

The NewEra

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on November 11, 2017, 08:58:15 am
He's a High School coach now. Call him home!!

I did some research the other day on Burns after posting that.  I didn't realize until then he was now coaching HS ball.  He's in his mid 50's so still young.  I would love to have him back at Arkansas.  That would be another way to infuse some original Razorback Blood back into the program.