Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Breakfast at Madeira! 8 am CST softball game against McNeese

Started by flippinhogmana, February 25, 2018, 02:20:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

I assume we throw Haff again since she only went five yesterday and six the day before.

Psych already posted (in the bring it against McNeese State thread) the live stat link. 

In a follow up to the productivity of the freshmen class, McEwen now has 12 rbis to lead that category
Malkin and Green both have three homers to lead that category,
Half has five wins to lead that category
She also has the lead in innings pitched (28) , Ks (47), ERA (.49) and hitting average against (.111) - and just about everything.  Right now we would be about a .500 team without her and the other freshmen.

http://a.espncdn.com/sec/softball/2018/confstat.htm  thats the sec stat link if it will work, ours isnt updated yet

But upper classwomen leadership is important too!  Buczek is tied for sixth in the league in average (among those who have enough at bats to quality) with an even .500
Next is Diaz at .458
Freshman Malkin at .421
and Bugarin at .417
(Manzo and Parr are hitting above them all at .600 and .750 respectively, they just dont have enough at bats although Manzo has close and if Parr continues to start in Cooper's place she will have before too long)

Freshman McEwen is at .385
and Green is at .375

McEwen, Green and Malkin rank 3rd, 1 and one in homers
1, 4 and 5 in RBis
and 3, 5 and 6th in average on the team.  Now it is only nine games and it has been fattened by the last four games, but still not bad.

I do want to put a word of caution out here to counter exuberance - we stated out about 18-1 last year in pre-conference - only to win just seven games the rest of the year in the SEC.  We were led last year by Nicole Schroeder who was nationally ranked in about all hitting categories before conference, so we can go down hill fast (Nicole hit only about .200 with little power or productivity in the SEC).   But I think if Storms regains her form of last year (and she hasn't yet despite being 4-0) - and if Diaz, Buczek, Bugarin, and Manzo continue to lead the freshmen well - we wont fall quite so far so fast.  We have a lot more depth and balance this year.  I think we will be among the top ten teams in the conference.  How high up in that group, time is yet to tell. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

game is underway
lineup is different this game (green is hitting cleanup is the biggest difference and Belans fifth)
Buczek grounds out
McEwen reaches on an error and advances to second
Kryzsko also reaches on an error and we have runners on first and third with one out
Green pops up to pitcher, two down
Belans grounds out, no score, two left and we go to the bottom of the 1st
Storms to be in the circle today
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

Another change is Parr starts in LF
Storms gets the first hitter on a line out to 3B
Second batter strikes out looking
Storms set them down in order as the 3rd hitter pops to ss

flippinhogmana

top of the second
Malkin as the dp up walks to start the inning
Ashley Dias continues her hot hitting, knocks it out of the park for a two run homer!
Bugarin strikes out looking
Parr is gunned down by the catcher, two down, back to the top of the order
Buczek grounds to 1st, but the hogs give Storms a 2-0 lead to work with.

flippinhogmana

1st batter (cleanup hitter) grounds to 3rd, 1 out
2nd batter grounds to 2nd
3rd batter goes down swinging...2-0 hogs to the top of the 3rd and Hammerin Hannah is up for the hogs.

psycHOGlogist

psycHOGlogist

Bummer there - Belans clocks one deep, OF misplays it a bit, McEwen comes around to score but Belans tried to take 3b on the throw home and never had a chance. But Hogs tack on the third run.

Ruled an E by the left fielder. Fair.

flippinhogmana

Hannah hits back to the pitcher but still gets on base and credited with a single
Kryzsko flies out to rf, McEwen still at first, one down
Green struck out swinging, two down for Belans
Belans reaches on an error by left fielder, McEwen scores, 3-0 hogs
Belans is tagged out trying to stretch it to third, to the bottom of the 2nd.

flippinhogmana

psycHOGlogist

B3 -

Storms to face 7-8-9

First batter grounds out to deep short, nice play moving to her left by Belans.
Next batter K's, swinging over a drop ball on an attempt to slap her way on.
Third hitter gets on with a single to LC (I think), bringing up top of the order.
Leadoff hitter grounds one to 2b, nice play on the short hop by Bugarin for the 3rd out.

Due up for Hogs: Malkin - Diaz - Bugarin

psycHOGlogist

flippinhogmana

flippinhogmana

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on February 25, 2018, 08:31:52 am
pick up the pbp?  Please!  You are good!
Aw, thanks, and I will. Had to make a run to the store this morning - sorry to miss the beginning of the game!

flippinhogmana

Unusual that they would start fifteen minutes before the announced start time!

psycHOGlogist

T4

FYI - McNeese is throwing their best pitcher, who is a R-Fr. She's the one who's gotten the impressive victories for them so far this year (mostly).

Malkin pops out to foul territory behind 1b. 1 down.
Diaz bloops a 3-2 pitch over the 3b for a single. Runner on 1, 1 down.
Bugarin pops out to the 2b in shallow RF. Runner on 1, 2 down.
Parr up, but a WP moves over Diaz to 2b.
Parr shows patience and a good eye, earns the BB. Runners on 1/2, 2 down for Buczek.
Buczek puts down a good bunt, but pitcher fields easily. 1b drops the throw, everyone is safe. Bases loaded, 2 outs.
McEwen goes up 3-0 - pitcher is a bit rattled.
McEwen hits a hard grounder up the middle, the 2b makes a great diving stop, but she can't get the ball to SS on 3b before the speedy Buczek gets there. Everyone is safe, Hogs up 4-0 now. Bases still loaded.
Krzysko doesn't get the bat off her shoulder and K's on 3 straight pitches.

Hogs up 4-0.

Storms to face 2-3-4.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on February 25, 2018, 08:34:57 am
T4

FYI - McNeese is throwing their best pitcher, who is a R-Fr. She's the one who's gotten the impressive victories for them so far this year (mostly).

Malkin pops out to foul territory behind 1b. 1 down.

Looks like she throws a pretty decent change!

But Diaz has her number!

Shame for the pitcher there, she got the throw there in time.

Hammerin Hanna on base three straight times and adds to her rbi total!

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on February 25, 2018, 08:34:17 am
Unusual that they would start fifteen minutes before the announced start time!

Yeah, weird. I assume this is because it's getaway day for both teams?

psycHOGlogist

B4
Storms plunks the batter. Runner on 1, 0 out.
But the 3 hitter hits into the 5-4-3 DP on the next pitch - well done, defense!!!
Quick work for Storms - the next hitter grounds the first pitch to Belans, who again makes a nice, routine play look routine. 3 outs.

Due up: Green (in the clean up spot!), Belans, Malkin

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on February 25, 2018, 08:37:31 am
Yeah, weird. I assume this is because it's getaway day for both teams?

Maybe weather is forecast to be moving ln later too.  Dont know how many games they have scheduled today.

psycHOGlogist

T5 -
Green gets us started right, lining a double down the LF line. Nice piece of hitting. Runner on 2, 0 out. PR for Green is Keely Edwards.
Belans flies out to LF, but Edwards (kind of daringly) moves up to 3b. Runner on 3, 1 out.
Malkin looks to be fooled by the breaking stuff, goes down 1-2, before figuring it out and lining a single over the shortstop's head, scoring Edwards. 5-0 Hogs. Runner on 1, 1 out. Haizlip on to PR for Malkin.
Diaz also starts off rough, down 0-2. She bloops one softly to SS, 2 down. Haizlip still on 1.
Bugarin grounds first pitch into FC, 3 down.
Hogs up 5-0.

Storms to face 5-6-7.

flippinhogmana

green, malkin and diaz are going to be a nice power 1,2, 3 punch for the next couple of years.

psycHOGlogist

February 25, 2018, 08:57:58 am #22 Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:10:29 am by psycHOGlogist
B5

Storms gets the comebacker and throws out the runner at first, 1 down.
Storms plunks the next batter on the first pitch. Not even trying to dodge. Weak. Runner on 1, 1 out.
Grounder to Buczek who stumbles as she makes play, flip to 2b not in time. Runners on 1/2, 1 out. Had to see whether that was a makable play. They give her a single (skeptical face...). 
Next batter flies out to RF, runner on 2b advances. 2 outs, runners on the corners.
They try the double steal, throw home is there in time, and she gets tagged, but they seem to be saying that Green was blocking the plate. Ridiculous call. Run scores, runner on 2nd. Man - what a crap call. 2 outs.
Ugh, and the next batter doubles to LF, scoring the runner. 5-2 Hogs. Haff in to pitch. Storms was getting them up in the zone there.
Haff plunks her. Runners on 1/2, 2 outs.
Haff having some trouble with her control.
Walks batter on 4 pitches. Yikes. That's only like her second walk of the season. Bases loaded, 2 outs.
Goes down 3-0 on next batter, gets it to a full count, and then gets her to pop out to C. Dicey.

But Hogs still up 5-2.

Due up: Parr-Buczek- McEwen.

flippinhogmana

storms has very quick hands!  She is about as sure handed I have seen at fielding her position in the circle.

flippinhogmana

risky throw to second, but it worked out with the quick and accurate return throw!

What the heck, the ump called her out!

You are right, that was a totally bogus call.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on February 25, 2018, 09:02:42 am
risky throw to second, but it worked out with the quick and accurate return throw!

What the heck, the ump called her out!

I think he called Green for blocking the plate. Absolutely ridiculous call.

flippinhogmana

whole team seems a little upset with that call!

Even though I have officiated some myself, I hate refs, especially bad ones.

psycHOGlogist

T6 -
Parr waves at ball low and outside to K, 1 down.
Buczek's routine grounder eats up the 2b, and she's safe at 1b. Runner on 1, 1 down.

And Softball twitter says yes, McNeese runner last inning was safe due to obstruction call. BS!

Buczek steals 2b, runner on 2, 1 out.
WP lets Buczek advance to 3b.
McEwen grounds to 1b, 2 down. Runner on 3rd.
Krzysko is due... and she's battling. Count is full... she earns the BB. Runners at corners, 2 out.
Green hits a can of corn out to RF to end the inning.

Due up to face Haff - 4-5-6

psycHOGlogist

B6

Haff again struggling with location at the outset. Sorts it out. K's her on a nasty inside corner pitch. 1 down.
Gets out 2 on another K.
Nice play by Buczek to track down a tricky, low flair over her head in the infield for the third out!

Due up for the Hogs - Belans, Haizlip (Malkin?), Diaz

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on February 25, 2018, 09:24:49 am
B6

Haff again struggling with location at the outset. Sorts it out. K's her on a nasty inside corner pitch. 1 down.
Gets out 2 on another K.

Now Mary is starting to deal.  It doesnt look like to me she was ready to come in, didnt expect it, and maybe was a little upset for Autumn's sake at the bad call.

psycHOGlogist

T7
Belans pops to 3b. Was battling but swung at a bad pitch. 1 out.
Malkin back in to DP, lines a single out to LF, Runner on 1, 1 down. They will PR, so Malkin is done. And it's Dotson.
They don't want Settle (McNeese P) to face Diaz again, so they're bringing in their other pitcher (also good, but not as good).
Runner on 1, 1 out.
Diaz first pitch swings, grounds out to 1b, Dotson is speedy enough to advance to 2b. Runner on 2, 2 out.
Bugarin grounds one up the middle, but the 2b makes a nice play and just gets her at first. Close.

Haff to face 7-8-9 (or pinch hitters)

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on February 25, 2018, 09:31:45 am
T7
Belans pops to 3b. Was battling but swung at a bad pitch. 1 out.
Malkin back in to DP, lines a single out to LF, Runner on 1, 1 down. They will PR, so Malkin is done. And it's Dotson.

I hope Ashley greets the new pitcher by parking another one!

psycHOGlogist

February 25, 2018, 09:38:08 am #32 Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:50:51 am by psycHOGlogist
B7 -
First hitter connects and takes Haff deep for the HR - 5-3 Hogs.
Ugh. Haff K's the batter on a change, but it squirts away from Green, and runner is safe at 1b. Runner on 1, 0 out.
Oh Jeez - Another HR and it's a tie game. Haff does not have her best stuff. Very unfortunate set of events here.
Storms coming back in to pitch.
Great play by Buczek to knock down a sharp grounder and then gun the runner out. 1 down.
Storms grazes the players jersey, puts her on 1b. Runner on 1, 1 out.
Next batter hits a solid liner into CF. Runners on 1/2. 1 out. And the feed is down.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on February 25, 2018, 09:38:08 am
B7 -
First hitter connects and takes Haff deep for the HR - 5-3 Hogs.

The whole game turned on that bad call.  They are going to have to learn to deal with that.  It wont be the last time something like that happens.

flippinhogmana

flippinhogmana

perhaps we could send a message to that home plate ump on how bad he sucks?

psycHOGlogist

Softball twitter is all we have now ... and they are usually pretty slow.

JHicks3636

We lost 6-5 but I don't know how they scored the last run

psycHOGlogist

Sigh. Tough one to lose after being up 5-0. But maybe one to learn from.

Midweek (Wed) vs MO State is next, in Bogle.

Last time we played them, they run ruled us ... at home. Revenge!