Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What of McCurdy and Jefferson?

Started by Adam Stokes, February 25, 2006, 04:12:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Stokes

Jefferson believe it or not did everything I wanted him to do all season.  NOT SHOOT.  He had four assists and three rebounds to only one turnover on 0-0 shooting.  Also not yet mentioned is that McCurdy sat out the game in its entirety.  Whatever is going on there is good IMO, McCurdy will get his time in the future, but for now lets continue with Fergy.  Heath outcoached Pearl and the team came up big with 24 assists to 10 turnovers. 

Great win and Heath is finally turning heads.

WPS  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Lokirain

The three seniors are showing their maturity. It's no time to develop McCurdy. We have to win now. McCurdy will be good in time, we all know it and have seen flashes, but Ferguson, Jefferson (even though he's a JUCO transfer) and Modica have to use their experience. We are finally doing the right things and winning. And we're going dancing!

The_Bionic_Pig

February 25, 2006, 04:18:33 pm #2 Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 04:21:12 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
I think the only reason McCurdy saw no Playing time was Tennessee's press is the best in the SEC and he didn't want to put his freshman in such a A critical, problematic position of breaking that press.   

Wednesday is Seniors night so look for Jefferson, Modica and Ferguson (E-STAR) to start and dominate playing time during the first half.  If Arkansas has established a big enough lead then McCurdy will get major PT the second half.  ;)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

TennesseeRaz

It's worked well the last two games (Bama & FL) to keep Jefferson on the pine and have a mixture of Brewer, Ferguson, and McCurdy at the point.  Did anyone hear Heath's rationale for reintroducing Jefferson into the game? 

hogfankb

I didn't hear it but I expect it went something to the affect of

give ferguson a breather on Lofton or guard watson. Both players were too quick for anyone else besides fergy and dontell.

His length is also a big advantage in breaking the press. It is much easier to beat a trap when you can throw the ball over the top of it.

I thought dontell played very well today. Did his usual which isn't much on the offensive end. But he didn't have the turnovers today. And played very good defense.

mountainhog

Matchups, i guess, they have to of the best guards in the country and we needed taller quicker guards on them i guess.

TennesseeRaz

Yes, Hogfan, that makes some sense.  We did use our taller players "to post" the opponent to inbounds the ball.  It worked quite nicely.

12under

his rationale was that he thought it was in the best interest of the TEAM for him not to play TODAY.  he might think he should play 30 minutes next game, who knows.  please trust that the coach knows more bball than all of us and he is trying to WIN every game.

hogfankb

Quote from: TennesseeRaz on February 25, 2006, 06:05:22 pm
Yes, Hogfan, that makes some sense.  We did use our taller players "to post" the opponent to inbounds the ball.  It worked quite nicely.

Yes it did. I am a little suprised tennessee didn't jump and double the guard after our post player gave the ball back. As soon as we made that inbounds pass to the big and he gave it back to the guard it was just a simple man to man press. Seems like they should have tried to find more opportunities to trap. if we did ever inbound straight into a guard they would double but not any other times. I found that odd.

Seemed like their defense was more about forcing us into an uptempo game instead of actually forcing turnovers in the backcourt

Lokirain

McCurdy is inexperienced, short and we didn't need him to get the win. This game was a pressure cooker game for Stan, and he knows what personnel to get the job done. McCurdy is going to be a Pat Bradley type here, but this was not a game for the faint of heart, or a learning game, we were in a dire need of a win.

hogfankb

Quote from: Lokirain on February 25, 2006, 06:34:18 pm
McCurdy is inexperienced, short and we didn't need him to get the win. This game was a pressure cooker game for Stan, and he knows what personnel to get the job done. McCurdy is going to be a Pat Bradley type here, but this was not a game for the faint of heart, or a learning game, we were in a dire need of a win.

Agreed. I thought the substitutions were handled pretty well today.

geoffhog

McCurdy time is coming, but he would have had a tough time guarding Lofton or Watson. Ferguson and Jefferson were better options in this instance.
"I was born to be a Razorback." -Darren Mcfadden

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

We barely won.  Had McCurdy been in there feeding the ball to our big men, it may not have been so close.

Ferguson cost us more, as usual, than what he brought.

Thank GOD Brewer stepped in and gave us the assists we needed.

I am glad we won.  Doesn't change the fact that we would be BETTER with a true QB PG in there.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

lunchbox72703

I respectfully disagree with you notshavin.  While Fergusons offense was struggling, his defense is far more along than Mccurdys.  Against the quickness of tennesee, Mccurdy might have hurt us more.  Fergy kept Lofton quiet for most of the first half.

I understand Lunchbox.  But the McCurdy can't play D is an urban myth.  Look at the tape of the Bama game.  He actually stops penetration better and stays on his man better than Ferguson or DJ.  And that he runs the offense better and works the ball inside better is a no brainer.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

MBAHog

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 25, 2006, 08:37:35 pm

I won't even respectfully disagree.  That's idiotic.

Quote from: MBAHog on February 25, 2006, 08:46:08 pm

I won't even respectfully disagree.  That's idiotic.

This is a complement.  Thanks.

murray-vegas

No offense to Not but I don't think he gives Ferguson the same respect that he deserves. 3-7 from 3 pt land today, 4 rebounds, 5 assists and no fouls, 12 pts. Yes he had 3 turnovers but to think that you can play 34 minutes without a TO is asking too much. I like the 3 guard look of Modica, Brewer, Ferguson...

TorsinAHog

You cant fault the subsitution pattern today since WE WON.   It was a tough match up for SM.
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

sportscrazy

McCurdy could not handle the Tennessee guards defensively.  They would have eaten him alive.  Jefferson is not much on offense but he is tough to shoot over.

johnny cash

The thing that impressed me the most today was the way we hit the boards.

blueshog2001

McCurdy has too slow of feet to be effective on defense.  Watson and Loftin would have ate his lunch.  With the little experience he is getting and Ervin being eligible next year. I have no worries about the point.!!! :razorback:

You guys don't have to worry about offending me.  Just bring it, and you have.

Good points.

I believe that Ferguson, Jefferson and McCurdy all have a role to play.  I just think McCurdy should be involved early to get our offense running and our big men involved.  Then bring in Ferguson for a change of pace, and use Jefferson so shadow a scorer if one gets hot.  I am not just a McCurdy hugger and a DJ/Jefferson hater.  I just think we got lucky today..glad we did, btw..

However, I think we would be better off with more PT for McCurdy, and a substitution pattern that makes a little more sense.  It almost seems like Heath just throws in whoever he feels like and hopes it works out.

Quote from: blueshog2001 on February 25, 2006, 10:03:48 pm
McCurdy has too slow of feet to be effective on defense.  Watson and Loftin would have ate his lunch.  With the little experience he is getting and Ervin being eligible next year. I have no worries about the point.!!! :razorback:

Evidence of this?? 

Go back and watch the Bama game carefully.  The slow, lack of D argument is nothing but a myth.  He is quicker and more agile than DJ and Ferguson and stays on his man better. 

blueshog2001

Didn't Steele light us up for 29. Now McCurdy wasn't the only person guarding him but there was a couple of times he blew past Sean,

BigHog396

Quote from: blueshog2001 on February 25, 2006, 10:03:48 pm
Again, reference the 'Bama tape.  McCurdy is not slow, and actually defended Steele better than Ferguson or Jefferson did.  I'm not going to argue the PT much, but with the consistent mistakes made by Ferguson and Jefferson, I would love to see McCurdy get some more PT.  It would be nice to know if he is really going to be able to handle to point after the other two are gone.

Quote from: blueshog2001 on February 25, 2006, 10:10:19 pm
Didn't Steele light us up for 29. Now McCurdy wasn't the only person guarding him but there was a couple of times he blew past Sean,
NOPE.  Did not blow past Sean.  He kept him in front of him.  Furthermore, only 2 of his 3 pointers were on Sean. 
Watch the game.

blueshog2001

Hopefully, we will See Sean for at least 20minutes Saturday. Seems like his shot has been off here recently. But he has only shot like 2 times a game. But with what he has shown and knowing what Ervin can do; leads me to think the hogs will be in good hands next year.  If this is how he plays after sitting out a year from basketball; It scares me to think what he will do next year.

nwarazfan

We barely won.  Had McCurdy been in there feeding the ball to our big men, it may not have been so close.

I am glad we won.  Doesn't change the fact that we would be BETTER with a true QB PG in there.

You had rather have a Fr guard playing on the road in front of 24,000 against the conf's best backcourt instead of a SR who has shown more offensive and defensive ability many times over?  Please keep posting because you discredit yourself with every post.

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 25, 2006, 10:22:10 pm

You had rather have a Fr guard playing on the road in front of 24,000 against the conf's best backcourt instead of a SR who has shown more offensive and defensive ability many times over?  Please keep posting because you discredit yourself with every post.
Read more, watch more, think more, POST LESS.

Funny comment about "credibility". 

"I called that play".

You begin every post with no credibility with your avatar, brotha.

Hawgdawgrain

In my opinion, McCurdy was not as good an athlete to be in this game.

In time he will be, but UT's guards would have had a much better game against McCurdy.

Great coaching...

On to the NCAA!!!!

nwarazfan

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 25, 2006, 10:24:51 pm

"I called that play".

Guess you don't understand the avatar's meaning.  Again, keep posting. 

Nutt's bandwagon is a short bus.  Not shocked that went over your head.

Ugly Uncle

All of you that think McCurdy can't play defense have not watched the games. 

You can't argue with a win.  I do think that we could have won by a bigger margin if McC. had been in there.  He also needed the experience.  Ferguson still makes crucial mistakes.  He had some huge plays also.  I would say that we broke even with him today.  I still think McCurdy is the only true PG we have.  I will be glad to see two of our three seniors go.
Retired Radio Host

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 25, 2006, 10:32:10 pm
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 25, 2006, 10:24:51 pm

"I called that play".

Guess you don't understand the avatar's meaning.  Again, keep posting. 

Nutt's bandwagon is a short bus.  Not shocked that went over your head.

Fair enough.  Actually, I didn't look closely enough at your avatar.  Much like I try to not waste time with your posts either.

nwarazfan

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 25, 2006, 10:35:07 pm
All of you that think McCurdy can't play defense have not watched the games. 

You can't argue with a win.  I do think that we could have won by a bigger margin if McC. had been in there.  He also needed the experience.  Ferguson still makes crucial mistakes.  He had some huge plays also.  I would say that we broke even with him today.  I still think McCurdy is the only true PG we have.  I will be glad to see two of our three seniors go.

uncle- I'm personally more comfortable in these pressure games we'll play in the SECT and NCAAT to have the experience of Ferg and Brewer running the offense.  McC right now does not offer much more than Ferg.  And say what you want about Jeff but he can give us a few key minutes each half with his size defending and rebounding.  McC will have his time soon.

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 25, 2006, 10:22:10 pm
instead of a SR who has shown more offensive and defensive ability many times over? 

THIS is what discredits you.  "Many times over".  Huh. If you really believe this, it is cool, we are glad to have you here to help sing the fight song and call those hogs.

BigHog396

Why is everyone on here acting like Jefferson or Ferguson had anything to do with the real PG play today.  If you actually watched the game, you would know it was Brewer leading the team and distributing the ball for the last few minutes of the game.  We are MUCH better with Brewer playing the point.

crimsonandcreampie78

February 25, 2006, 10:41:53 pm #38 Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 10:44:42 pm by crimsonandcreampie78
I think Stan a GREAT Job---not putting McCarty in the game on today.  Because he's not good like you guys protray him.  He can't make any consist free throw nor can he dribble, defense.  He's serve no purpose at ALL!!!!!

Would you guys just let Stan do his job!!!! Because he has been doing a a GREAT JOB with those guy.

Also, you guys complain about the loses.  I don't see any on our fans going to the away games.  I will they do better on the road if they had any of our fans traveling with them.

Why don't the UofA send a pep bus with the basketball team?  When they send a pep bus with footballteam. And the football teams has not done anything in the last two years.  If anyone needs to go Nutt needs to go. And the lady's basketball coach because she has not done a thing since I have live in Fayetteville.  I've lived here for three years. :razorback:

blueshog2001

You make a great point; karma for you.  All inbounds and most of bringing the ball down was done by Brewer. How many assists did he finish with?

BigHog396

Brewer had 9 points and 9 assists, I haven't looked up the rest of the stats yet.

blueshog2001

I just hope and pray he stays another year. Can you imagine the possibilities if he does? :D

Quote from: BigHog396 on February 25, 2006, 10:40:54 pm
Why is everyone on here acting like Jefferson or Ferguson had anything to do with the real PG play today.  If you actually watched the game, you would know it was Brewer leading the team and distributing the ball for the last few minutes of the game.  We are MUCH better with Brewer playing the point.

It is because the DJ and Ferguson huggers like nwarazfan just keep pumpin the sunshine...God almighty, it is like a clanging cymbal over and over, no facts, no insight, just "good D", "offense", "Seniors", "tall", "athletic"...

BULLSHIITE

blueshog2001

I don't think tall and Ferguson can go in the same sentence. Maybe dental work needed! J/K

hogsanity

Well, following crimsonand will be hard, but here goes.  Sean simply can not play d on the guards in the SEC.  The shorter ones are too quick for him, and the taller ones just go over him.  No one fears him shooting, so they force him into the lane when he drives.  Now, he has made some nice passes, but teams will begin to make him shoot on the drive.  They will fill thew passing lanes and make him shoot, or let their big man swat it down his throat.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

crimsonandcreampie78

RealSmartGuy

Karma for you Notshavin, I am pumped we won today, pumped, but I am not going to sit here and say that a guy with a 4-27 SEC road record who lost to MISS State and Ole Miss on the road this year is the next coming of Dean Smith, we won, Stan did a good job, the team played hard, but I like to stick with solid facts, they keep winning, I will jump on board, but he has to prove it over and over, in 4 years, he should have a pt guard who can play, that is a fact, he doesn't, I just keep remembering hte fact that his winning percentage on the road is barely over .100.  The huggers can save their trees, and save Stan, but show me some results, consistenly, not for one week. 

I am glad we won, pumped we won, I called the hogs, but one week does not make a coach, period.

crimsonandcreampie78

Stan did GREAt job---Because McCarty would've been able to stop those guys.  Vols would've stepped all over that kid. :razorback:

crimsonandcreampie78

bigt54

Tenn. had jump shooters, who have made the season shooting over smaller guard.  McCurdy will get PT against M State this week, its just as long as Jefferson didn't do anything stupid he was needed to keep the guards under control.
"I was not the best cause I killed quickly, I was the best because the crowd loved me."