Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

You're a mean one...

Started by WoooPigSooieShane, December 13, 2017, 12:01:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SemperHawg

This would be a solid hire, but most likely a short term one.  This is the guy that will be on everyone's short list in a couple of years.

Ā 

Wildhog

Quote from: SemperHawg on December 13, 2017, 01:04:38 pm
This would be a solid hire, but most likely a short term one.  This is the guy that will be on everyone's short list in a couple of years.

When have we ever kept a DC long term, anyway?  Make the best hire you can and deal with the rest later.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pork Ranger

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 13, 2017, 12:57:56 pm
So some "source info" here so take it for what it's worth. He has interviewed for Arkansas and A&M DC jobs this week. Has also interviewed for the Layfayette head coaching position.

What I don't get is A&M? Has Jimbo Fisher gave Chavis the axe?
Maybe he had Chavis interview as well

WaltonCollege

SemperHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on December 13, 2017, 01:05:15 pm
When have we ever kept a DC long term, anyway?  Make the best hire you can and deal with the rest later.
Speakin Da Troof

LuckyGiraffe

To me these are the names that can fulfill CCM's brag:

Brent Venables
Alex Grinch
Mike Stoops

Okay, but not great:
Chavis

SemperHawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 13, 2017, 12:57:56 pm
So some "source info" here so take it for what it's worth. He has interviewed for Arkansas and A&M DC jobs this week. Has also interviewed for the Layfayette head coaching position.

What I don't get is A&M? Has Jimbo Fisher gave Chavis the axe?
Lot of people saying Chief is going to retire.

WaltonCollege

This Grinch dude also gave up 37 points to Cal, I mean if that's good then sign him up.

hogfan98

Quote from: WaltonCollege on December 13, 2017, 01:05:34 pm
This guy is the best DC in the country? If Chad says so I guess...

Let's ignore for a second the fact that a new HC is going to hype his guy as best regardless of whether he actually is or not...he has a top 15 defense at WSU.  I think by default that earns him a spot on the short list.

jkstock04

December 13, 2017, 01:10:20 pm #60 Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:32:40 pm by jkstock04
Quote from: Pork Ranger on December 13, 2017, 01:05:34 pm
Maybe he had Chavis interview as well
Maybe so...but the smoke isn't adding up to me. It's almost like a foregone conclusion Chavis is gone from A&M. But I haven't read anything to suggest that being a conclusion or why.

Regardless, I am in agreement Grinch would be a good/great hire for us. Which probably means it's not going to happen lol.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Wildhog

Wondering if Grinch is the target and Chavis is the fallback...
1909/1964/1965/1977

rzrbk4life

All I want for Christmas is the grinch
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Ā 

RebelliousHog

WSU allowed a buttload of points during his tenure. When they lost, they got killed. I'm not impressed. If he can't stop defenses in the PAC10 he can't in the SEC.

Top 15 be darned.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />ā€•Leonardo da Vinci

RebelliousHog

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />ā€•Leonardo da Vinci

FraggleHog

Calling the Hogs from DFW

RebelliousHog

Wildhog

Quote from: HenduHog on December 13, 2017, 01:15:30 pm
WSU allowed a buttload of points during his tenure. When they lost, they got killed. I'm not impressed. If he can't stop defenses in the PAC10 he can't in the SEC.

Top 15 be darned.

They had one of the best defenses in a league full of high scoring offenses with arguably the worst talent in the conference.  He's done a remarkable job.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkSoda

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on December 13, 2017, 12:14:42 pm
If true, does that mean Venables is for sure not a option? Cant see offering the job to Grinch if Venables wanted the job
Venables = Gruden

but yeah, I'd be happy with this hire.

I liked Chavis due to his long term SEC experience, but also see the benefits of going for someone with more to prove.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ā€• Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." ā€“ Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Warrior Way 22

Are there any ties between CCM and Grinch?
"Warriors should suffer their pain silently."

hobhog

More dark side "yeah but".

Good coaches can lose games, give up points, not score points, and turn the ball over occasionally. Doesn't mean they aren't good coaches.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: hobhog on December 13, 2017, 01:18:55 pm
More dark side "yeah but".

Good coaches can lose games, give up points, not score points, and turn the ball over occasionally. Doesn't mean they aren't good coaches.

Most of HV can't realize this. Takes a good mix of talent and scheme to have a special year

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: Wildhog on December 13, 2017, 01:12:20 pm
Wondering if Grinch is the target and Chavis is the fallback...
Thats exactly what i thought when i heard it.

Wildhog

It doesn't take a genius to field a good defense with elite talent and a ball control offense. 

Terrible talent and an air raid offense?  That's a different story.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Ā 

tbhogfan

It's also rumored that Grinch will be offered the WSU HC job if Leach leaves. 

This guy is a great fit for Arkansas.   
Go Hogs!

RebelliousHog

Whatever. I would be ok if they lost 14-13  but it was not. 37-3  41-14 etc. Not impressive and not fantastic.

doesn't mean he won't be here but based on prior results, it ain't that much to call "fantastic" and CERTAINLY isn't the best in the country.

Wildhog

Quote from: HenduHog on December 13, 2017, 01:21:22 pm
Whatever. I would be ok if they lost 14-13  but it was not. 37-3  41-14 etc. Not impressive and not fantastic.

doesn't mean he won't be here but based on prior results, it ain't that much to call "fantastic" and CERTAINLY isn't the best in the country.

You're certainly welcome to feel that way.

I'd be ecstatic with the hire.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pork Ranger

Quote from: tbhogfan on December 13, 2017, 01:21:18 pm
It's also rumored that Grinch will be offered the WSU HC job if Leach leaves. 

This guy is a great fit for Arkansas.

Hiring season is all but wrapped up. Where's Leach gonna go? Do you mean coach in waiting?

Hogtrillian

That team with Grinch as DC beat Pac-12 USC champ 30-27. USC more closely resembles any team we will play in the SEC (loaded 5* 4* talent). To be able to do that at WSU, a team with vastly inferior talent, is an amazing feat, and shows he's a good DC. We won't get Venables, get that through your heads, we would be lucky to get Grinch of Chavis.

Hogs49ers

I feel like that with solid teams like A&M still needing a DC as well, it is going to come down to who is the most patient and who is willing to wait for some of the top DCs to become available after they coach their teams bowl game.  Hopefully we do not rush this to just get someone in here and make an underwhelming hire.
SCREW Vandy!

Hopeful Hog

I'm not blown away but I don't hate it either. I don't think this was Morris's first choice but we could do a lot worse. Is this guy known as a good recruiter? That's more important than just being a good x and o's guy.

195bc

Quote from: HenduHog on December 13, 2017, 01:17:15 pm
Not seeing the "fantastic"

He led the nation's 13th best defense this year (7th best if you go by defensive efficiency rating), from Pullman, Washington, and it has improved each year he's been there. If you're not seeing the "fantastic," it's because you're lack of knowledge is getting in the way.

Pork Ranger

hogsanity

In at least 2 of WSU's losses, the offense turned the ball over like 400 times, or so it seemed, and could do little to nothing on offense, which is Leach's system meant 3 and out while only taking 23 seconds off the clock. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jkstock04

Quote from: Hogs49ers on December 13, 2017, 01:25:21 pm
I feel like that with solid teams like A&M still needing a DC as well, it is going to come down to who is the most patient and who is willing to wait for some of the top DCs to become available after they coach their teams bowl game.  Hopefully we do not rush this to just get someone in here and make an underwhelming hire.
See Im reading multiple things like this and I just don't get it. Where is the memo that Chavis is gone from A&M?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

The_Iceman

Quote from: HenduHog on December 13, 2017, 01:17:15 pm
Not seeing the "fantastic"

Thank you for letting us all know your intelligence level when it comes to college football. Any credibility you had is now gone.

mizzouman

Former assistance at Mizzou and Gary Pinkel's nephew

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

RazorPiggie

Hawginj

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 13, 2017, 01:34:50 pm
Thank you for letting us all know your intelligence level when it comes to college football. Any credibility you had is now gone.
😂😂😂😂😂...Yes

Lanlord

Washington State: Defensive coordinator Alex Grinch is "weighing multiple offers, including Texas A&M and Arkansas," Brock Huard noted on 710 ESPN Seattle today. Huard added that he'd be surprised if Grinch opts to stay in Pullman. Update> Sources tell FootballScoop Texas A&M has their eyes on another person and that Grinch was never offered Texas A&M defensive coordinator.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop-2/scoop-wednesday-december-13-2017/

Razor2Red

Update   It is being reported that Texas A&M has their eyes on another person and that Grinch is not in the running.

redeye

While we were tracking planes for the coaching search, either the BOT or RF plane made a trip to Seattle.

Hawginj

Quote from: Razor2Red on December 13, 2017, 01:43:46 pm
Update   It is being reported that Texas A&M has their eyes on another person and that Grinch is not in the running.
Yes! Yes! Yes!

mizzouman

Quote from: Pork Ranger on December 13, 2017, 12:30:59 pm
Missouri alum right? Hopefully he wants to be closer to home
Former assistant and Pinkel's nephew

hawgball40

Me thinks this is just trolling from Huard, who is a UW fan.

hog_fan

Only 4 days left before dead period. Hiring DC today or tomorrow won't change anything. Rumors A&M is looking at Robinson from South Carolina.

hogcards

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

hog_fan

Quote from: Razor2Red on December 13, 2017, 01:43:46 pm

Update from who?

imtad16

Quote from: Lanlord on December 13, 2017, 01:43:14 pm
Washington State: Defensive coordinator Alex Grinch is "weighing multiple offers, including Texas A&M and Arkansas," Brock Huard noted on 710 ESPN Seattle today. Huard added that he'd be surprised if Grinch opts to stay in Pullman. Update> Sources tell FootballScoop Texas A&M has their eyes on another person and that Grinch was never offered Texas A&M defensive coordinator.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop-2/scoop-wednesday-december-13-2017/

Door looks open for Grinch to walk through.