Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First time trout fishing.

Started by OldCoot, February 02, 2014, 04:10:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OldCoot

I've always wanted to go trout fishing but that's not one you can just go and do.  Been thinking about hiring a guide around Searcy just to show me the basics and get a decent fishing spot.  I assume they guide on public land, right?

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Dude on February 02, 2014, 04:10:21 pm
I've always wanted to go trout fishing but that's not one you can just go and do.  Been thinking about hiring a guide around Searcy just to show me the basics and get a decent fishing spot.  I assume they guide on public land, right?

The White River, Little Red River, and Norfork River are world class trout fishing.  There are plenty of guides available for any of them.  Just internet search it.  Do you want to fly fish? or just catch trout?

OldCoot

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 03, 2014, 03:45:07 pm
The White River, Little Red River, and Norfork River are world class trout fishing.  There are plenty of guides available for any of them.  Just internet search it.  Do you want to fly fish? or just catch trout?

I want to be eating trout.  :)

Rocky&Boarwinkle

You can fish off the bank anywhere from Bull Shoals to near Calico Rock with corn and a hook and catch your limit easily.  Fishing out of the boat is much better, but my point is that I grew up fishing off the bank at Buffalo City and had no problems as an 8 year old catching trout.

RazorWild

I catch a limit on Little Red every time I go using power bait tight lining.  I also put a wax worm on with it. 

OldCoot

Can you guys give some specific walk in locations on the little red? 

Also, I've only ever fished for bass with artificial lures.  Is it just a basic setup?  I've heard corn, but that sounds too simple.  What kind of rig and what time of day?

Thanks.

Wayne Watson

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Boarslab

If you want to catch trout go to Calico Rock or Norfork and hire a guide out of Norfork Trout Dock, Rose's Trout Dock, or in Calico-- Jenkins Fishing Service, Lindsey's Trout Dock, just call the dock and they will book a guide for you...You will have a great time, learn where to fish, and how to catch them the next time you go....Money well spent.  You should be able to get a trip for under $250, but be sure to tip your guide well if they do a good job...This will make for a much more enjoyable experience and get you started off right.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: RazorWild on February 03, 2014, 05:11:28 pm
I catch a limit on Little Red every time I go using power bait tight lining.  I also put a wax worm on with it.

^^^  This for bait. Yellow or Green Power Eggs and Waxworms. #6 Trout Hook. Small Bullet weight. Use a small split shot to keep it off your hook 12-18 inches.

Dripping Springs in Pangburn used to be good, but after development its garbage.

Swinging Bridge if you don't mind catching babies.

Ramsey's Landing if you don't mind wading out hip deep to get to the good fish (I usually limit in 45-60 minutes with 1- 1 1/2 lb range)

Catch the big ones during the winter drift fishing in a boat. (off season hobby until the catfish come back to the end of my line)
This is my non-signature signature.

cobra kai

I only use artificial jigs for trout and will easily catch 60-75 fish on just an average day below Bull Shoals or Norfork.  Besides that, it's just a lot more fun to use lures instead of bait.
There are various trout jigs available, but the best are the PJ's finesse baits.  I typically use a 1/16 oz black, grey, or dark green jig depending on conditions.  If they are generating at the dam I will sometimes switch to a heavier 3/32oz jig, and when the water is very shallow I'll use a smaller 1/32oz.

The fishing line you choose will also be important.  In my opinion, the best line to use for Arkansas trout is 2 lb green Maxima. 

cosmodrum

Quote from: Dude on February 04, 2014, 10:36:48 am
Can you guys give some specific walk in locations on the little red? 

Also, I've only ever fished for bass with artificial lures.  Is it just a basic setup?  I've heard corn, but that sounds too simple.  What kind of rig and what time of day?

Thanks.

Lobo Landing and Kennedy park are good spots on the Little Red. Just a few minutes drive from each other in Heber Springs. Super Dupers, little cleos and power bait.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: Boarslab on February 04, 2014, 12:58:32 pm
If you want to catch trout go to Calico Rock or Norfork and hire a guide out of Norfork Trout Dock, Rose's Trout Dock, or in Calico-- Jenkins Fishing Service, Lindsey's Trout Dock, just call the dock and they will book a guide for you...You will have a great time, learn where to fish, and how to catch them the next time you go....Money well spent.  You should be able to get a trip for under $250, but be sure to tip your guide well if they do a good job...This will make for a much more enjoyable experience and get you started off right.

Spent a weekend at Norfork trout dock early October. Caught my limit, saw a bald eagle, had a fish fry, got drunk. Good times.
Go away, batin'

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: cosmodrum on February 04, 2014, 02:33:13 pm
Spent a weekend at Norfork trout dock early October. Caught my limit, saw a bald eagle, had a fish fry, got drunk. Good times.

Can't do that at Heber Springs. Dry county and all.. But I've been known to flask some whiskey when I'm wading out in the Little Red River

cosmodrum

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 04, 2014, 04:49:27 pm
Can't do that at Heber Springs. Dry county and all.. But I've been known to flask some whiskey when I'm wading out in the Little Red River

Yeah, bring a flask. Norfork is great - the liquor store/bait shop is right by their property. We stayed in cabin #13 and it was HUGE. 3 dudes and it could've slept 8-9.
Go away, batin'

Großer Kriegschwein

I went to the Spring River and tore them things up a few times, probably my second favorite spot. A guide told me that those cold water catfish up there are the best in any body of water he's ever been to.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: cosmodrum on February 04, 2014, 04:52:35 pm
Yeah, bring a flask. Norfork is great - the liquor store/bait shop is right by their property. We stayed in cabin #13 and it was HUGE. 3 dudes and it could've slept 8-9.

I used to live in Mtn. home when I was a youngin. But we spent more time foolin with Largemouth and Striper on the lake (boat was docked a Tracy)

OldCoot

Some really, really good advice.  Thanks all!

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Dude on February 04, 2014, 07:12:12 pm
Some really, really good advice.  Thanks all!

Go catch some and I'll get out the fish cooker.  I'll provide the taters and Connie's hush puppies and the beer.
We don't rent pigs

Wayne Watson

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 04, 2014, 04:53:00 pm
I went to the Spring River and tore them things up a few times, probably my second favorite spot. A guide told me that those cold water catfish up there are the best in any body of water he's ever been to.

Not to derail, but blue or channel?
We don't rent pigs

pigture perfect

Call Jim at Red River Trout Dock. Good man.

Rose's or Norfork trout dock at Norfork. I like to motor up to Shipp's Ferry and float past the confluence of the White and Norfork. This is my favorite place. Absolutely beautiful scenery.

Calico Rock I would recommend Jenkins or Terry's Both are good friends of the family. They will do you right.

Best tip About trout is not how to catch them, but in preparing them. Eat them fresh. Don't freeze them. Chill them on ice.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

twistitup

Don't forget, the river is unforgiving:

Trout before beer have no fear
Beer before trout you'll soon be without

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

RazorWild

I'm a big fan of Lobo as well.  Have lucked upon nice nice browns past couple times I've gone

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Wayne Watson on February 04, 2014, 07:18:28 pm
Not to derail, but blue or channel?

Don't make me lie, but I believe Channel.

micali

The fishing line you choose will also be important.  In my opinion, the best line to use for Arkansas trout is 2 lb green Maxima. 
[/quote]
He is correct that you should use a lighter line.  I use a green 6lb test so I don't have to change spools to brim or crappie fish and it works like a charm.  If I'm not getting bites I will tie on a lighter 2lb liter and see if that changes their minds.  I've been trout fishing since I was 10 yrs old.  Its not hard once you learn the tricks.

JaketheSnake

Unless you just want to be guaranteed some fish to eat, you might want to just try going fishing on your own first or with a buddy that has some experience.  The bait is well versed in this thread and any Powerbait will work.

denver1

Cleaning a trout is important too. Some folks leave the skin on but I prefer it off. Slice up the belly from the vent to the throat then pull down to gut the fish. Next you will see a blood sack inside the cavity against the spine, take a knife and scrape that out. Now bend the head backwards and peel the skin like a bannana peel.  Now the most important part do not wash the cleaned fish in water, trout meat is like a sponge and will soak up the water making the meat mushy. Instead just wipe the meat down with a paper towel. Bread it with your favorite fish fixins and fry it up.

Flying Razorback

I've been considering getting a cabin for a weekend on the Red this spring to take the wife trout fishing.  I've never really been a trout fisherman, when would you guys say the best time to go during the spring is?  I know the fall bite can be the best, but that's a long time away.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

jdelo77

Any one been to beaver tail waters.  / dam lately ? I'm thinking of heading out that way in a few hours ...

micali

Quote from: denver1 on February 14, 2014, 12:15:22 am
Cleaning a trout is important too. Some folks leave the skin on but I prefer it off. Slice up the belly from the vent to the throat then pull down to gut the fish. Next you will see a blood sack inside the cavity against the spine, take a knife and scrape that out. Now bend the head backwards and peel the skin like a bannana peel.  Now the most important part do not wash the cleaned fish in water, trout meat is like a sponge and will soak up the water making the meat mushy. Instead just wipe the meat down with a paper towel. Bread it with your favorite fish fixins and fry it up.
I've never had a problem with the meat soaking up the water and being mushy.  I clean them and put them in water until I'm ready to cook or freeze the fillets n a baggy filled with water.  The only time they get mushy,I've found, is when they stay frozen to long. 

micali

Quote from: jdelow77 on February 18, 2014, 08:15:28 am
Any one been to beaver tail waters.  / dam lately ? I'm thinking of heading out that way in a few hours ...
Not this year but it should be good fishing.  Id check the generation schedule before you go.

gcraise1

I have been going to the White and Norfork Rivers for over 20 years. Great fishing on both rivers. Give Norfork Trout Dock a call and ask to be guided by Victor. He is a great guy, and one heck of a guide. The guys at this dock are really nice and customer friendly, and they are more than happy to tell you where the fish are biting the best. The dock is located in Salesville which is about 20 minutes East of Mountain Home. They also have cabins for rent which are on the same piece of property as the dock. I highly recommend this dock, I only rent from them on my trips because they treat their customers RIGHT!!!!

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jdelo77

I caught five Tuesday , most of them came from about ten feet from the boat ramp below the dam , white , chartreuse and a wax worm was the only thing they would bite !

Albert Einswine

Olive Woolly Bugger never fails, ever.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: cosmodrum on February 04, 2014, 02:30:43 pm
Lobo Landing and Kennedy park are good spots on the Little Red. Just a few minutes drive from each other in Heber Springs. Super Dupers, little cleos and power bait.

This...I love Little Cleo's, but for the sake of your sanity change the treble for a single hook.

old hog

Love them fried and baked, but smoked some filets with applewood a couple of times, and they turn out great. Some good fishing tips on here and be sure to check out the rules on limits for the different streams. Different rules for different stretches of river.

Albert Einswine

The best way to cook trout, bar none, is to cut filets out of both sides but leave the skin on. Place it skin down on a wet cedar plank and give it a healthy coat of lemon pepper. Place on a charcoal grill and cook to your liking. The meat slides right off the skin.

The second best way is to filet 'em out entirely, salt and pepper, and fry them naked in butter in a cast iron skillet until golden brown. Do not bread trout, it's a travesty.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

OldCoot

Quote from: Albert Einswine on February 25, 2014, 08:00:07 pm
The best way to cook trout, bar none, is to cut filets out of both sides but leave the skin on. Place it skin down on a wet cedar plank and give it a healthy coat of lemon pepper. Place on a charcoal grill and cook to your liking. The meat slides right off the skin.

The second best way is to filet 'em out entirely, salt and pepper, and fry them naked in butter in a cast iron skillet until golden brown. Do not bread trout, it's a travesty.

We just gutted them and put them in foil with lemon and butter.  Easy and good.

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: Dude on February 02, 2014, 04:10:21 pm
I've always wanted to go trout fishing but that's not one you can just go and do

Why not?

When I was in HS we went to the Little Red River.  I have never trout fished a day in my life.  Had a regular fishing pole can of corn and pulled in about 6.  I actually pulled in a German Brown as well, it was illegal and didnt know but thank God someone that was with me knew.
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

dagnamit

Yellow power bait on the Spring River was the key last weekend. Got tired of catching them.....:)

RazorPiggie

Quote from: cosmodrum on February 04, 2014, 04:52:35 pm

So you've seen the Woodsmens Package as well?

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Wildhog

I want to go fishing so bad.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Wildhog on May 07, 2014, 03:35:24 pm

I drove down to NEA for my granddaughter's 1st birthday party this weekend and fished Spring River Saturday evening, Sunday evening after the party, did a float fishing trip down it all day Monday and fished yesterday until after 3. Caught fish every day, caught a few nice wild ones Monday, 16" and better. Back in Indiana now, so until I come home again or go to Michigan or West Virginia it'll be a fishing drought for me. I loathe the lack of trout in this state.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Wildhog on May 07, 2014, 03:35:24 pm

Settle down, cowboy. We'll do that fly fishing thing soon.
Go away, batin'

bphi11ips

Quote from: Albert Einswine on February 25, 2014, 08:00:07 pm

Damn this is making me homesick. My favorite way to cook trout is to smoke them.  Gut 'em and leave the head and skin on.  Then stuff the cavity with dressing and wrap with bacon.  I like popcorn shrimp and butter with seasoning from the cabinet for the dressing, maybe a little onion and celery. Smoke until done. 

I'm sick of Tennessee.  There's trout here, but they ain't the same.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: micali on February 11, 2014, 09:04:53 am

He is correct that you should use a lighter line.  I use a green 6lb test so I don't have to change spools to brim or crappie fish and it works like a charm.  If I'm not getting bites I will tie on a lighter 2lb liter and see if that changes their minds.  I've been trout fishing since I was 10 yrs old.  Its not hard once you learn the tricks.

2 lb line is a bear to deal with especially if you are a beginner.  Start with 6 and see if it works.  You can always tie on 4 or even 2 lb leader if you think you need it.  But I caught a bunch of big browns and our limit of rainbows on the Norfork this past weekend on 6 lb monofilament.  I'm talking spin fishing of course.  If you are trying to serve up a tiny fly then you will need tiny line.

cobra kai

July 30, 2014, 12:23:30 pm #47 Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:51:23 pm by cobra kai
Quote from: Grizzlyfan on July 30, 2014, 11:26:34 am
2 lb line is a bear to deal with especially if you are a beginner.  Start with 6 and see if it works.  You can always tie on 4 or even 2 lb leader if you think you need it.  But I caught a bunch of big browns and our limit of rainbows on the Norfork this past weekend on 6 lb monofilament.  I'm talking spin fishing of course.  If you are trying to serve up a tiny fly then you will need tiny line.

I have fished with a lot of first-time trout fisherman on the Norfork and White over the last 25 years, and not one of them had any problems fishing with 2lb test.  I'm just saying - in my own experience while trout fishing with jigs on a spinning reel, 2lb test has yielded the best results by far.  Trout have keen eyesight, and I have found that I get significantly more strikes on 2lb versus 4lb. 
I have also fished with two of the best trout fisherman in the area, who have won several trout tournaments over the last few years on the White and Taneycomo, and they both use 2lb test.

Albert Einswine

Dang, y'all are debating the efficacy of 2lb mono vs. 6lb mono and here I am dragging streamers with my 9wt fly rod off 8 to 12lb tippet material and I can't keep the trout off. I think y'all are overthinking it a tad bit.

cobra kai

July 30, 2014, 01:33:35 pm #49 Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:57:45 pm by cobra kai
Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 30, 2014, 12:53:17 pm
Dang, y'all are debating the efficacy of 2lb mono vs. 6lb mono and here I am dragging streamers with my 9wt fly rod off 8 to 12lb tippet material and I can't keep the trout off. I think y'all are overthinking it a tad bit.

Not at all.  I just like to catch a lot of fish, and that is just what I have found to work the best for me over the last 25 years of trout fishing. 
Also, tippet material is typically stronger than mono line so it has a smaller diameter per lb strength.   It also reflects less light than mono, so tippet material will be significantly less visible when compared to an equivalent breaking strength mono line.