Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

the difference between nutt and petrino coming from a player

Started by ki285, March 19, 2008, 02:24:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggish1

Quote from: ki285 on March 19, 2008, 02:24:11 pm
i talked to a player just about an hour ago at lunch.  he told me he has never worked this hard in his life.  he said petrino isnt trying to be there buddy like nutt was.  said petrino is in everyones face and wont accept anything less than perfection.  he said the main difference is the way practice is conducted.  he said that nutt let his assistants run practice, they he just walked around and checked up on what was going on.  he said petrino was completly opposite.  he said petrino is right in the middle of everything.  he said he knows what everyone from the centers to the recievers are supposed to be doing.  he also said that he is not looking forward to going back after spring break because petrino said they were going to be going full steam when they got back.  oh he also said that the qb position is going to be so wide open that alex mortenson is the starter right now because he knows the offense better than any of the other qbs. 

Which all means we are now like all the other SEC schools?

Hoggish1

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 21, 2008, 01:08:40 pm
One thing to keep in mind here is that anytime you get a new boss, their first order of business is to lay down the law.  While I think he will still be strict in the future, once everyone learns the way he does things, I don't think he will be quite as hard on the kids.  One thing is for sure, he is a perfectionist and will accept nothing less.  The best thing for the players at this point is to work hard and keep their mouths shut.  Petrino is serious about improving the program, and I doubt he will have any qualms about cutting those who aren't.  Just my take on the subject.

To my mind he will not get easier, the players will just come to think of it as the way it is at practice and the way football practices are conducted.  Feels like a mainstream SEC program to me.

havok

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on March 20, 2008, 06:17:40 pm
wait, so if they arent practicing, how come petrino made alex mortenson the starter then? is he first team on the jumping jack workout or sit-ups? lol

I am betting Coach Petrino handed the playbook out to the players and has found out, that Mortenson at this point a better Football IQ, and appears to understand it better.

Not saying "Knowing" what is going on, will translate to on the field success.  But at this point where Mental Work is being judged without the Pigskin being rolled out....Mortenson (Someone who has spent many a summer working with and around Pro-QB's) probably has a better grasp.

Throwback1

"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

Albert Swinestein

I think you mean Jason Campbell.
Quote from: FlyFisher on March 21, 2008, 12:27:10 pm
Maybe Mortensen wasn't good under the nutters style of handing off the ball, but he might blossom under Petrino's offense. I can't help but remember Jason Allen (Auburn) and how he turned out under the right system.

This is exactly what we (HOG FANS) have been waiting for. A coach like Petrino to come in and build a Football Machine.

Razorbackmedic

Quote from: NWARazor on March 19, 2008, 05:26:52 pm
Petrino recruited Alex out of high school, so he must have saw something he liked.

And he came back last year?????? Did Daddy Chris know something?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: PigPusher on March 19, 2008, 04:16:09 pm
Looks like a little over verbalization. Practice does not start until April 3rd. They are going through conditioning right now, but there is no practice. Therefore there is no number one quarterback running plays at least officially. With posts like this you will have the NCAA down on us.

On top of that I doubt Coach Petrino has told the team or even hinted that Alex was the top QB right now. Sounds like a lot of conjecture.

I agree. I don't believe Bobby can even see video tape of players practicing, let alone get in their face.

RedSatinHog

My nephew hangs out with one of the OL's.  He said that the practices are tough beyond belief.  When he was telling me how the OC was having all the linemen race by bulldozing a weight around the outside of the practice field, my lower back hurt thinking about it.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Grunt

Quote from: condohog on March 19, 2008, 05:46:41 pm
Wow! Half of this thread is just people nit picking..... or around half I don't have a nailed percentage.

Really man, nail it down or leave me alone.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Grunt

Quote from: BeoPig™ on March 19, 2008, 06:15:23 pm
Why do you have to argue with everything someone posts???

8)

everything or nearly everything?

Grunt

Quote from: nutted on March 19, 2008, 06:23:35 pm
He also might be using Mort for motivation with the Dick boys.  I don't think Mort will start but in a classroom setting I bet he's cleaning the chalkboard with them and that's what is probably floating around the program.

Next year is going to be tough at the QB position....Casey doesn't have the physical skills to win the SEC and Nathan doesn't have the experience.

Mallett will make the QB position what it should be in a BP offense.

One of those freshmen might too. How did Mort get advanced knowledge of the scheme?

Fatmanhog

Quote from: IMAballHawg on March 21, 2008, 01:10:30 pm
BeoPig I would guess that 90% of the posters wan't get what you are posting about.  That includes gohogsgo006. 
i understood Beopig, i wont the hogs to win to.
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: YABBBUF on March 20, 2008, 01:03:24 am
Wow!  this thread says absolutely everything about this board!!!  For most just read it!!!  There is no way anyone can believe the original poster; but many will take it and run!!! 

I promise you people that AM is not now nor has he ever been considered the starter for next year!!!  BP will work that out!!  That will however be next August!!  Get a clue!!  Get a life!!  get Something@@@

First, whatever workouts are being held, I am glad to hear that the intensity is far beyond what they were previously. It is encouraging to hear remarks being made by the players(even if they are coming third hand) about how much more difficult the workouts are. This is a very good sign. If they weren't commenting or complaining, that might be reason for concern.

As for when positions are won or lost, I can assure you that more positions are either won or lost in the Spring than they are in August. If a coach doesn't have a handle on "who is playing where", before August camp, he has serious problems. I would say that this is about to be the most important and pivotal spring practice for the Razorbacks in many, many years and just watching some of the practices(especially towards the end) is going to tell you a great deal about who is going to be playing and in what positions come next season. That doesn't mean that a player couldn't show up in August and make such an overwhelming impression that they couldn't win a position, but for the most part, those positions will be established during the spring. And though I am not privy to any inside information, I would be very surprised if BP didn't have some kind of a depth chart in place already.....subject to change of course, during and after spring ball. There is no doubt that he is being as proactive(within the rules) as he can possibly be.

As for Mortensen, maybe he does know the offense better than any other QB at this point. That doesn't mean he will be the starter, but it doesn't mean he won't be either. All bets are off and the honest truth is, no one knows who will be the QB next season, unless of course, the NCAA acts out of character and rules in favor of allowing Mallett to play next year. Otherwise, we will have a pretty good idea come the end of spring, although BP probably won't officially tip his hand until August.
Go Hogs Go!

Shuga Town HEMI

I like the fact that Casey has to work for his spot, rather than have it handed to him. The latter would have been obvious under you know who.

hogknows

I know for a fact that Casey does not mind one bit "working for his job".

The spring workouts have been intense for sure...but it will make a better team. Petrino knows who has shown up.

CorningHog

I wouldn't be critical of any of the players for what happened under Nutt.  The QB position especially will be improved, regardless of who takes the snaps.

I think we as fans should let Petrino and his staff evaluate these kids and let them be the ones who decide who can get the job done.

Casey may flourish under Petrino...or Alex, Nathan, or the two frosh qbs.

One thing is for sure....this coaching staff has to break some bad habits and will.  There will be a championship attitude instilled and hopefully these guys will work hard as a "team" and play like champions!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

hog_fan

Quote from: DMacIsASaint on March 20, 2008, 02:17:37 pm
I have talked to two players who say the difference is that Petrino flat out has no soul. I talked to one player who was doing a workout out with an assistant and was joking saying the workout wasnt hard enough..petrino heard this pulled him aside and called him every name in the book and told him he would cut him if he ever should any disrespect like that

The poor baby. Poor guy didn't have Nutt with him to baby him and be his friend. If Petrino is so bad please tell that player he can just leave. if he isn't willing to work hard then he needs to consider if this is the place for him. Nutt is to thank for Petrino having to be extra tough on them. Sounds like it was one of nutt's boys.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: hog_fan on March 22, 2008, 10:45:42 pm
The poor baby. Poor guy didn't have Nutt with him to baby him and be his friend. If Petrino is so bad please tell that player he can just leave. if he isn't willing to work hard then he needs to consider if this is the place for him. Nutt is to thank for Petrino having to be extra tough on them. Sounds like it was one of nutt's boys.

Tell this kid there is no toll on the Helena Bridge anymore, just truck it on over to where his "soul brother" is constructing another romper room.

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: hogknows on March 22, 2008, 03:01:07 pm
I know for a fact that Casey does not mind one bit "working for his job".

The spring workouts have been intense for sure...but it will make a better team. Petrino knows who has shown up.

I don't think working hard has ever been a problem for Casey. I for one will be interested in how he does with a real QB coach, and a real HC for that matter! He's never been accused of being lazy and very well may make a good solid QB under Petrino. He'a a Razorback and I will root bigtime for him. He has at times played well.

hog_fan

I want every single player on this team to want to work their ass off to prove themselves. Reports are aleast some of the players are really liking it as deep down they know it is for the best.

moley_russells_wart_hog

Quote from: FlyFisher on March 21, 2008, 12:27:10 pm
Maybe Mortensen wasn't good under the nutters style of handing off the ball, but he might blossom under Petrino's offense. I can't help but remember Jason Allen (Auburn) and how he turned out under the right system.

This is exactly what we (HOG FANS) have been waiting for. A coach like Petrino to come in and build a Football Machine.

just a thought but what would espn say if petrino develped  mortenson where he had a shot at the pros