Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Over on coaches Hot Seat they are saying:

Started by Hoggie17, September 28, 2017, 11:27:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Been10Hog

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 28, 2017, 01:57:46 pm
Long has hired:

1. CBP.... That was after he failed getting Tommy Bowden and Jim Grobe. More to the
               story but not going into it.

2. Smith   because he knew CBB would be available  at end of the 2012 season

3. CBB     It was the perfect storm, Michigan was having trouble getting the right coach
               and Ohio State was in trouble with the NCAA those those 3 big 10 titles really
               are not a true indications of his coaching ability

No, Long is not in trouble even thought his decisions have Arkansas at the
              bottom of the SEC with  Vandy and KY.  He is stuck to Arkansas like a dog
              tick.
Point is he got them here! Just asking....would you want him gone if he got Bill Bellichick and we went 4-8 3 straight years?

razorsharptusk

The fact this is even being discussed as a "possibility" NMSU could beat the Hogs this weekend is embarrassing. 
GO HOGS!!

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: hoglady on September 28, 2017, 12:46:39 pm
I just don't see where Long is in that much trouble unless the season really does end up being garbage.
Like 3 to 4 win garbage and they can't get rid of Bielema due to the size of the buy out.
I would think then Long might start feeling some heat.
All pure speculation of course.

Long's not in trouble now.  Its when he makes the next hire to replace CBB that the clock starts running on Long's career.  I don't think he can survive three consecutive failures in the head football coaching position.  For that reason he'd be willing to let CBB twist in the wind for a long time.  Essentially JFB did this with Nutt.  I don't see Long stretching CBB from to 10 years like Nutt but 6 or 7 years is certainly possible.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on September 28, 2017, 07:08:26 pm
Long's not in trouble now.  Its when he makes the next hire to replace CBB that the clock starts running on Long's career.  I don't think he can survive three consecutive failures in the head football coaching position.  For that reason he'd be willing to let CBB twist in the wind for a long time.  Essentially JFB did this with Nutt.  I don't see Long stretching CBB from to 10 years like Nutt but 6 or 7 years is certainly possible.
Possible?  Looks more like reality at this point.

Ironhawg

If Long keeps CBB around and he continues to tank for two more years, how much damage is done to Arkansas football?

TNRazorbacker

I think it will take something on the order of a loss to NM in order for BB to be fired this year. Even with a losing season this year, which at this point is highly likely, I think he gets another year. He's Longs boy and the buyout is too good an excuse.

moses_007

IronHog

Quote from: moses_007 on September 28, 2017, 09:01:30 pm
They need an Athletic Directors' Hot Seat.

Jeff Long would be far down the list.......
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

LZH

Quote from: IronHog on September 28, 2017, 09:32:42 pm

Jeff Long would be far down the list.......

Hell, he'd wind up on the selection committee.

Wild Bill Hog

GuvHog

The JFB-Nutt debacle was different:

1. In 6 of Nutt's 10 years at Arkansas, he won at least 8 games.
2. 2 of Nutt's bad years were due to an NCAA investigation and sanctions caused by Frank's friendship with a booster.

Bret is in his 5th year and has not had a season at Arkansas where he has won 8 regular season games.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: rhames on September 28, 2017, 12:01:33 pm

When has an AD ever been fired because of a loss??

I'm not saying the program isn't in bad place right now.

Nebraska did just a week or so ago.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

younghog

GO HOGS

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

bigeasyhog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 29, 2017, 08:28:00 am
Nebraska did just a week or so ago.

No, and AD isn't fired over a "loss"; however, a case can be made that an AD can be terminated for exercising poor judgment. In our case, the sitting AD did not conduct a true search for the current head coach; h hired him without interviewing any other candidates to fill the vacancy. Which, as we know now, is very risky. Secondly, the contract extension and buyout can also be subject to scrutiny.

HardCore

Quote from: LZH on September 28, 2017, 09:46:59 pm
Hell, he'd wind up on the selection committee.

What has being on that Freakin Selection Committee done for the Arkansas Razorbacks?  Nothing! 
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

HardCore

Quote from: bigeasyhog on September 29, 2017, 07:55:06 pm
In our case, the sitting AD did not conduct a true search for the current head coach; h hired him without interviewing any other candidates to fill the vacancy.

And, he had an entire year to do it
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

JaketheSnake

Quote from: GuvHog on September 29, 2017, 08:12:55 am
The JFB-Nutt debacle was different:

1. In 6 of Nutt's 10 years at Arkansas, he won at least 8 games.
2. 2 of Nutt's bad years were due to an NCAA investigation and sanctions caused by Frank's friendship with a booster.

Bret is in his 5th year and has not had a season at Arkansas where he has won 8 regular season games.
I like how you call out CBB for not winning 8 in the "regular season"  but you include a 7 win regular season plus a bowl victory as 8 wins for HDN.  Not pushing an agenda there are you???

JaketheSnake

Quote from: HardCore on September 29, 2017, 08:08:38 pm
And, he had an entire year to do it
Coaches arnt really interviewed in the traditional sense anymore.  It's all done behind the scenes and talking to trusted people that know other trusted people until the AD is certain the hire has been made. 

LZH

Quote from: HardCore on September 29, 2017, 08:06:48 pm
What has being on that Freakin Selection Committee done for the Arkansas Razorbacks?  Nothing! 

That sorta whizzed right by you, huh?