Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speculate with me...

Started by greenEGnHAWGS, October 02, 2017, 08:12:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

he'll my father was a lifelong hog fan, and he would refer to our family as Arkies when we lived out of state. tread lightly on this one.
Let's make some waves.

BigE_23

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on October 03, 2017, 10:57:33 am
he'll my father was a lifelong hog fan, and he would refer to our family as Arkies when we lived out of state. tread lightly on this one.

To each their own...

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Redhogs on October 03, 2017, 08:30:18 am
"While I'd probably give BP the edge on coaching ability"...with that one statement you have lost all objective credibility. Bert is not even in the same galaxie...

Surely you jest...

1) I made a very inexact comparison between the two, and...
2) Am I wrong that the state hasn't provided the same instate talent as when BP and Nutt we're here?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

IronHog

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on October 03, 2017, 12:05:31 pm
Surely you jest...

2) Am I wrong that the state hasn't provided the same instate talent as when BP and Nutt we're here?

Outside of RM and DMac the talent is similar overall

Except for Nutts 2006 team.  A decent coach had a real shot at a NC
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

hogsanity

Surely you jest...

You are right about the talent. Not many LEGIT SEC players. Plus, no big play guys like Monk, Dmac, Hillis, Wright, Childs, Adams, Gragg, Dj Williams.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Cinco de Hogo

I bet if CBP returned to Arkansas we would suddenly begin producing talent again.  There is only on position we don't produce talent like we used to and that's RB.  There is probably a reason for that.

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 03, 2017, 01:00:55 pm
I bet if CBP returned to Arkansas we would suddenly begin producing talent again.  There is only on position we don't produce talent like we used to and that's RB.  There is probably a reason for that.

And LB, and CB and safety.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Gonzo

2) Am I wrong that the state hasn’t provided the same instate talent as when BP and Nutt we’re here?

Using 247's rankings, which can be broken down by state each year, and going back to 2002 where their database seemed to take wings, here is what I found about what the state has produced.

First, the 5 stars of course are outliers, a total of 5 in that time, 4 of which were signed by the Hogs, 2 for HN, 2 (1 signed) for BP, and 1 for BB.

HN - 6 recruiting classes - 15  4 stars produced, 2.5 per class, and 59  3 stars produced, 9.8 per class. A couple of the early years in that range only had 4  3 stars each, no idea if that was more about their database still developing or really indicative of less 3 star talent. If you take just the last 3 classes, those numbers adjust to 2.3  4 stars and 13.3  3 stars per class.

BP - 4 recruiting classes - 10  4 stars, 2.5 per class, and 51  3 stars,  12.75 per class

One lost class due to the "lost" JLS year, won't chalk that one up to anyone in particular, but a pretty average class - 3  4 stars and 14  3 stars

BB - 5 recruiting classes - 14  4 stars, 2.8 per class and 80  3 stars, 16 per class. The 2015 class skews that a little with 5  4 stars and 28  3 stars (trying to remember which year was supposed to be that "generational" class around here), but even without that class the other 4 averaged 2.25  4 stars and 13  3 stars.

Looks to me like the state production has been pretty similar for all 3, despite what some here would proclaim. Coaching matters.

Go Hogs!

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: factchecker on October 02, 2017, 08:51:02 pm
You realize that Bielema beat the same Ohio State team that beat us in the Sugar Bowl..... right?

Petrino couldn't beat an Ohio State team that was "in the toilet".

He could beat Texas A&M though...
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on October 03, 2017, 01:17:53 pm
He could beat Texas A&M though...

factchecker is ignoring the fact that in all the years Bielema spent at Wisconsin, that win over the Buckeyes was the one and only time his Badgers beat them. He's also ignoring the fact that CBB's Rose Bowl record was poor.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

factchecker

October 03, 2017, 01:33:32 pm #110 Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 01:46:01 pm by factchecker
Quote from: GuvHog on October 03, 2017, 01:25:49 pm
factchecker is ignoring the fact that in all the years Bielema spent at Wisconsin, that win over the Buckeyes was the one and only time his Badgers beat them. He's also ignoring the fact that CBB's Rose Bowl record was poor.

I'm not ignoring crap GUV.

Someone claimed that the BIG10 was "in the toilet".  I pointed out the fact that Bobby couldn't beat Ohio State despite them being "in the toilet". Nothing about that is false.  I even provided videos and links - something that you never do.

There is a reason why the phrase "you just got GUV'd" is a recurring joke around here.  You are routinely wrong.  You never provide evidence or links.  When proven wrong you either hide or you move the goalposts.

Now go back to crying about how the mean Jeff Long did your lord and savior bobby wrong.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on October 03, 2017, 01:08:37 pm
And LB, and CB and safety.

When did we ever produce LB, CB and safety?  Maybe a few good ones over the years but I'm sure there will be a few good ones over the coming years too. But only if they are "uncommon".

Oklahawg

Quote from: BigE_23 on October 02, 2017, 08:37:28 pm
The notion that all the talent Coach Petrino had during his tenure just "fell in his lap" makes me wanna puke!!!

Why did Mallett want to transfer to Arkansas? To play for Petrino.

Where was Tyler Wilson going before CBP was hired?? Tulsa.

Where was Joe Adams going? USC.

Who recruited Knile Davis? Travis Swanson? Cobi Hamilton (Texas High)??

I could keep going...those teams weren't a fluke assemblage of in-state talent. Petrino deserves every bit of the credit for keeping those kids in state, because before he came, many weren't even considering coming to Fayetteville. But he also added some great pieces from out of state as well.

Meanwhile, Bert has lost KJ Hill, Josh Frazier, Demarea Crockett, and many more. Don't twist the facts to try and fit your narrative.

Nutt and Petrino had a sour track record for recruiting against Power five conference teams out-of-state. That is well-documented - CBB has landed as many as those two combined, if not more.

Frazier was in the same class as a QB the Hogs liked just as well. Got one of the two and were only taking one. Ditto, Crockett - we got an RB we liked better in Whaley (I like him better also) and filled our slots with positions of greater need. That leaves us Hill. One. "Many others" is lame.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on October 02, 2017, 09:54:40 pm
True...but Kansas City kids are NOT Hog addicted fans. Neither are Tulsa kids. I believe Nutt owes his career to DMac. Give CBB one Dmac and the narrative about him changes completely.

Agreed.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: GuvHog on October 03, 2017, 09:59:02 am
Mallett transferred to Arkansas because he wanted to:

(A) be a Hog
(B) Play for Petrino.

TW was indeed committed to Tulsa until BP flipped him.

Joe Adams was a USC Trojan lock til BP flipped him shortly before signing day.

TW did not have a UA offer, either. He was the first new offer by BP.

Oklahawg

Nutt inherited a team ready to win from Danny Ford. Added amazing recruiting classes twice in his stay at UA. One landed Matt Jones, et al, and the other landed Felix + DMac. That is pretty special.

Petrino had the top in-state haul that I can recall. That was his incoming recruiting class. Things went downhill after that as he struggled to build a staff that could recruit and the in-state talent fell off of a cliff. The off-field antics were just one reason that he was going to implode at UA.

CBB spent 2-3 years recruiting to a style of play that he concluded wouldn't win in the SEC. The switch in offensive recruiting hit with the hiring of Enos and the move towards more mobile OL, a more diverse playbook, and a more sophisticated scheme. The switch in defensive recruiting hit a year later with a move towards more length and speed.

Nutt built staffs based on comfort and a "family feel." He was not prone to hiring a gee-whiz assistant who didn't "fit in." Thus, he wound up with loyal "yes men", and some of them were pretty good. They were first-rate motivators. Nutt's ability to get a team to rise up well beyond their ability level and beat a favored team is still his greatest contribution (imo). Players performed for him because they liked him.

Petrino built staffs based on their ability to conform to his meticulous overarching philosophy. He was a task-master not unlike Nick Saban but lacked the capacity to attract high-end assistants like Saban because, well, he lacked Saban's charisma and Arkansas was Arkansas. Players performed for him because they feared him.

Bielema built his first staff based on what he knew from Wisconsin. A lot of Alvarez oversight, in all likelihood, was involved in his time there. Like at Wisconsin, his assistants gained exposure and opportunities and they moved on from UA. Several went to the NFL or to better gigs elsewhere. Can't fault that. His network of options narrowed dramatically though. He has shifted his approach to coaches dramatically since being at Wisconsin, now hiring ex-head coaches to be coordinators. These are coaches who understand the big picture and are left to manage their side of the ball. They are complimented with technicians as position coaches, the idea being to "coach up" the talent brought on campus. There was a focus on finding "smart" players who could mentally grow past the superior raw athletes recruited at other schools. Players perform for Bielema because they respect him.

Three totally different ways of putting together a coaching staff and three totally different ways of engaging your players/team.

Oklahawg

What we don't speculate on is the role of major injury in the development of rosters.

Petrino had Knile Davis' injury (Greg Childs?) but I don't recall immediately others that had significant impact on the team.

I don't know that Nutt ever faced a depth chart problem created by year- or career-ending injuries. I likely have forgotten and welcome someone helping out.

Bielema has had Tyler Wilson (short time injury), Jonathan Williams, Keon Hatcher, Rawleigh Williams III, Kevin Richardson, Ryan Pulley, Jared Cornelius, and Dre Greenlaw all go down for significant amount of time due to injury. Those are starters. Think about it: of the six top returning players for 2017 (from, say, March 1) three are out for the year already (Cornelius, Pulley, RW3; my other three are Agim, Allen, and Ragnow). Ouch.

factchecker

Meanwhile, Bert has lost KJ Hill, Josh Frazier, Demarea Crockett, and many more. Don't twist the facts to try and fit your narrative.

Bielema didn't lose Crockett because he never offered him.

Similar to how Booby never offered Kenneth Dixon and how his staff told Spaight he was too small to play in the SEC.

QuoteHis boy, the one staff members under former Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino said was "too small" to play in the SEC, had proven his doubters wrong.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/nov/21/senior-spaight-excelling/

Let's go down the idea of us losing "many more" instate recruits under Bielema:

TOP 5 Arkansas recruits since Coach Bielema hire (according to ESPN):

Hunter Henry     Offered by Arkansas            Signed by Arkansas
Altee Tenpenny     Offered by Arkansas         Signed by Bama
Brooks Ellis     Offered by Arkansas               Signed by Arkansas
Austin Allen     Offered by Arkansas              Signed by Arkansas
Jamar Criswell     NOT Offered by Arkansas      ?

Bijhon Jackson     Offered by Arkansas        Signed by Arkansas
Joshua Frazier     Offered by Arkansas                   Signed by Bama
Jabe Burgess     NOT Offered by Arkansas             Signed by Tulsa
Josh Liddell     Offered by Arkansas                       Signed by Arkansas
Deandre Murray     NOT Offered by Arkansas         Signed by Tulsa

K.J. Hill     Offered by Arkansas                    Signed by Ohio State   
C.J. O'Grady     Offered by Arkansas                      Signed by Arkansas
Will Gragg     Offered by Arkansas                         Signed by Arkansas
Jamario Bell     Offered by Arkansas                       Signed by Arkansas
Dominique Reed     Offered by Arkansas                 Signed by Arkansas (from JUCO)

McTelvin Agim     Offered by Arkansas                     Signed by Arkansas
T.J. Hammonds     Offered by Arkansas                   Signed by Arkansas
John Tate     NOT Offered by Arkansas                   Signed by Memphis
Austin Capps     Offered by Arkansas                       Signed by Arkansas
Jordan Jones     Offered by Arkansas                       Signed by Arkansas

Akial Byers     NOT Offered by Arkansas                 Signed by Mizzou
Montaric Brown     Offered by Arkansas                  Signed by Arkansas
Joshua Johnson     NOT Offered by Arkansas          Signed by Iowa State
Koilan Jackson     Offered by Arkansas                    Signed by Arkansas
Taylor Powell     NOT Offered by Arkansas              Signed by Mizzou

2013: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2013&position=&state=3

2014: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2014&position=&state=3

2015: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2015&position=&state=3

2016: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2016&position=&state=3

2017: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2017&position=&state=3

9 out of top 25 recruits have left state---- 3 of which had offers from Arkansas (Tenpenny, Frazier, and Hill)
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogfan14

Honestly, maybe the most important difference between Petrino and Bielema's teams has been Zach Hocker. Petrino had quite a few close games against teams we should have beaten soundly (Ole Miss, Vanderbilt) but was able to pull out a close win in the end.

Bielema's 11 blown 4th quarter leads might be a lot lower if we had a decent kicker for a few of those. Not saying he doesn't deserve the blame for not having a kicker, but it's amazing how just a few points could completely change people's perception of him here.

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogfan14 on October 03, 2017, 02:59:20 pm
Honestly, maybe the most important difference between Petrino and Bielema's teams has been Zach Hocker. Petrino had quite a few close games against teams we should have beaten soundly (Ole Miss, Vanderbilt) but was able to pull out a close win in the end.

Bielema's 11 blown 4th quarter leads might be a lot lower if we had a decent kicker for a few of those. Not saying he doesn't deserve the blame for not having a kicker, but it's amazing how just a few points could completely change people's perception of him here.
well that is a good point.  at least half those games would have been won if we either made field goals or trusted our kicker to make a FG in the first place.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogfan14 on October 03, 2017, 02:59:20 pm

I think the difference is game changers. You could definitely count Hocker in that. BB really has no home run threat. Even AC, as good as he was really was not a break away threat. Yes, he had a couple 80 yard runs, but he got most of his yards on 4-12 yard carries. Dude was tough. Wright, Childs, Adams, Hamilton, Dj Williams, Davis  all game changers.

BigE_23

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 03, 2017, 01:52:02 pm
Nutt and Petrino had a sour track record for recruiting against Power five conference teams out-of-state. That is well-documented - CBB has landed as many as those two combined, if not more.

Frazier was in the same class as a QB the Hogs liked just as well. Got one of the two and were only taking one. Ditto, Crockett - we got an RB we liked better in Whaley (I like him better also) and filled our slots with positions of greater need. That leaves us Hill. One. "Many others" is lame.

Josh Frazier was a DT, not a QB. You're thinking of Kiehl Frazier who went to Auburn when CBP was the coach at UA. Trying to pretend you know what you're talking about when you don't is lame.

BigE_23

Quote from: factchecker on October 03, 2017, 02:14:14 pm
Bielema didn't lose Crockett because he never offered him.

Similar to how Booby never offered Kenneth Dixon and how his staff told Spaight he was too small to play in the SEC.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/nov/21/senior-spaight-excelling/

Let's go down the idea of us losing "many more" instate recruits under Bielema:

TOP 5 Arkansas recruits since Coach Bielema hire (according to ESPN):

Hunter Henry     Offered by Arkansas            Signed by Arkansas
Altee Tenpenny     Offered by Arkansas         Signed by Bama
Brooks Ellis     Offered by Arkansas               Signed by Arkansas
Austin Allen     Offered by Arkansas              Signed by Arkansas
Jamar Criswell     NOT Offered by Arkansas      ?

Bijhon Jackson     Offered by Arkansas        Signed by Arkansas
Joshua Frazier     Offered by Arkansas                   Signed by Bama
Jabe Burgess     NOT Offered by Arkansas             Signed by Tulsa
Josh Liddell     Offered by Arkansas                       Signed by Arkansas
Deandre Murray     NOT Offered by Arkansas         Signed by Tulsa

K.J. Hill     Offered by Arkansas                    Signed by Ohio State   
C.J. O'Grady     Offered by Arkansas                      Signed by Arkansas
Will Gragg     Offered by Arkansas                         Signed by Arkansas
Jamario Bell     Offered by Arkansas                       Signed by Arkansas
Dominique Reed     Offered by Arkansas                 Signed by Arkansas (from JUCO)

McTelvin Agim     Offered by Arkansas                     Signed by Arkansas
T.J. Hammonds     Offered by Arkansas                   Signed by Arkansas
John Tate     NOT Offered by Arkansas                   Signed by Memphis
Austin Capps     Offered by Arkansas                       Signed by Arkansas
Jordan Jones     Offered by Arkansas                       Signed by Arkansas

Akial Byers     NOT Offered by Arkansas                 Signed by Mizzou
Montaric Brown     Offered by Arkansas                  Signed by Arkansas
Joshua Johnson     NOT Offered by Arkansas          Signed by Iowa State
Koilan Jackson     Offered by Arkansas                    Signed by Arkansas
Taylor Powell     NOT Offered by Arkansas              Signed by Mizzou

2013: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2013&position=&state=3

2014: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2014&position=&state=3

2015: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2015&position=&state=3

2016: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2016&position=&state=3

2017: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2017&position=&state=3

9 out of top 25 recruits have left state---- 3 of which had offers from Arkansas (Tenpenny, Frazier, and Hill)

That was a hell of a lot of typing, cutting and pasting to prove absolutely nothing...

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 03, 2017, 02:09:13 pm
Nutt inherited a team ready to win from Danny Ford. Added amazing recruiting classes twice in his stay at UA. One landed Matt Jones, et al, and the other landed Felix + DMac. That is pretty special.

Petrino had the top in-state haul that I can recall. That was his incoming recruiting class. Things went downhill after that as he struggled to build a staff that could recruit and the in-state talent fell off of a cliff. The off-field antics were just one reason that he was going to implode at UA.

CBB spent 2-3 years recruiting to a style of play that he concluded wouldn't win in the SEC. The switch in offensive recruiting hit with the hiring of Enos and the move towards more mobile OL, a more diverse playbook, and a more sophisticated scheme. The switch in defensive recruiting hit a year later with a move towards more length and speed.

Nutt built staffs based on comfort and a "family feel." He was not prone to hiring a gee-whiz assistant who didn't "fit in." Thus, he wound up with loyal "yes men", and some of them were pretty good. They were first-rate motivators. Nutt's ability to get a team to rise up well beyond their ability level and beat a favored team is still his greatest contribution (imo). Players performed for him because they liked him.

Petrino built staffs based on their ability to conform to his meticulous overarching philosophy. He was a task-master not unlike Nick Saban but lacked the capacity to attract high-end assistants like Saban because, well, he lacked Saban's charisma and Arkansas was Arkansas. Players performed for him because they feared him.

Bielema built his first staff based on what he knew from Wisconsin. A lot of Alvarez oversight, in all likelihood, was involved in his time there. Like at Wisconsin, his assistants gained exposure and opportunities and they moved on from UA. Several went to the NFL or to better gigs elsewhere. Can't fault that. His network of options narrowed dramatically though. He has shifted his approach to coaches dramatically since being at Wisconsin, now hiring ex-head coaches to be coordinators. These are coaches who understand the big picture and are left to manage their side of the ball. They are complimented with technicians as position coaches, the idea being to "coach up" the talent brought on campus. There was a focus on finding "smart" players who could mentally grow past the superior raw athletes recruited at other schools. Players perform for Bielema because they respect him.

Three totally different ways of putting together a coaching staff and three totally different ways of engaging your players/team.

Pretty spot on analysis.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

MJ2

Quote from: JOKERHOG on October 02, 2017, 09:28:42 pm
Watch each coach on the sideline for a half of football and it will be obvious which coach would win the most games with equal talent

Yes, and CBB is clueless as to what the SEC is.   Even Nutt recognized what was needed most of the time.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: MJ2 on October 03, 2017, 03:59:43 pm
Yes, and CBB is clueless as to what the SEC is.   Even Nutt recognized what was needed most of the time.

If you don't mind expounding, I'm really curious as to what exactly Nutt recognized and executed while he was here?

factchecker

Quote from: BigE_23 on October 03, 2017, 03:32:13 pm
That was a hell of a lot of typing, cutting and pasting to prove absolutely nothing...

You said:

Who are the many more?

How many of those 9 did anything with their careers?

How many of those 3 that we offered did anything at all?

Altee Tenpenny was a tragic case.

Josh Frazier hasn't really amounted to anything.

K.J. looks like the only one that will amount to anything.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 03, 2017, 08:51:21 am
Yeah, but wasn't the CB considered one of the better match ups in 2012?

It was, but still not a BCS bowl.

it was however a game between top 10 teams.

Still not a BCS bowl.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hoggish1

What if the SEC was as easy to play in as then?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 03, 2017, 07:05:50 pm

Still not a BCS bowl.

The Band Perry played the National Anthem...fwiw.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

PonderinHog

Still not a BCS bowl.
Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on October 02, 2017, 09:26:44 pm
May I ask which top tier bowl games CBP has been to and won?
It was a top tier bowl game, and we won.

GuvHog

Still not a BCS bowl.

That was the year the BCS 2 team limit rule kept the Hogs out of a BCS Bowl. Since Bama and LSU played for the national title, no other SEC team was allowed to play in a BCS Bowl even if they had the record to merit an invitation (Arkansas). If not for that rule blocking the way, Arkansas would have made it's second trip to the Sugar Bowl in 2 years.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Razorbackers

The notion that all the talent Coach Petrino had during his tenure just "fell in his lap" makes me wanna puke!!!

Why did Mallett want to transfer to Arkansas? To play for Petrino.

Where was Tyler Wilson going before CBP was hired?? Tulsa.

Where was Joe Adams going? USC.

Who recruited Knile Davis? Travis Swanson? Cobi Hamilton (Texas High)??

I could keep going...those teams weren't a fluke assemblage of in-state talent. Petrino deserves every bit of the credit for keeping those kids in state, because before he came, many weren't even considering coming to Fayetteville. But he also added some great pieces from out of state as well.

Uh, Petrino lost SEVERAL in state talents to outside schools as well. Don't sunshine pump then gloss over the bad stuff.

Razorbackers

Quote from: BigE_23 on October 03, 2017, 09:51:33 am

And btw, no true, self-respecting Razorback fan would ever refer to us as "Arky". That's a demeaning term that the Texas$ tea-sips tried to give us. So not only was your entire post a fail, but you showed how little you actually know about being a Hog fan.

I've got an Arkie bumper sticker. We got them at the mustache in fayetteville or whatever it's called.

We live out of state. So maybe you don't know nearly as much as you think you do about being a hog fan.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 04, 2017, 08:07:17 am
It was a top tier bowl game, and we won.

Not sayin it wasn't that year.

Still not a BCS bowl.
This is my non-signature signature.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 04, 2017, 08:19:53 am
Not sayin it wasn't that year.

Still not a BCS bowl.
Jerra wants a word with you.   >:(

hogsanity

I think trying to argue about bcs bowls is just funny because it shows a complete ignorance of college football history. For year, decades even, the Cotton, Sugar, Orange and Rose were the 4 big bowls. The BCS bowls before the bcs. Yet, for many posters, none of those matter because they did not have BCS in the title. The Hogs played in 2 Orange Bowls, 2 Sugar Bowls, and at least 3 Cotton Bowls when the Cotton was still a big boy.

In the BCS era they played in one "bcs" bowl and they played in the Cotton when it was regaining it's once big time status.