Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speculate with me...

Started by greenEGnHAWGS, October 02, 2017, 08:12:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JOKERHOG

Quote from: factchecker on October 02, 2017, 08:51:02 pm
You realize that Bielema beat the same Ohio State team that beat us in the Sugar Bowl..... right?

Petrino couldn't beat an Ohio State team that was "in the toilet".

scoop and we win
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Swestwill66 on October 02, 2017, 09:30:39 pm
I don't recall, where was Arkansas ranked in the final poll in 2011? 2010 ?

5th in 2011

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

jkstock04

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 02, 2017, 09:23:32 pm
lol, please tell me you aren't suggesting that CBB has a habit of turning down 5 star recruits.

I mean Selma Hayek wouldnt quit texting me the other day, I finally had to tell her that she wasn't up to my standards.
I'm saying he's not going to offer a guys simply off of football skill. Pretty simple concept to grasp.

At least that is what we have been sold hard on.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

PorkSoda

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 02, 2017, 09:26:25 pm
I don't think that there have been any 5* players that have made it known that they want to come to Arkansas for him to turn down.
precisely my point
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: JOKERHOG on October 02, 2017, 09:28:42 pm
Watch each coach on the sideline for a half of football and it will be obvious which coach would win the most games with equal talent

While I'd probably give BP the edge on coaching ability, my original post was not about comparing the past coaches to each other with equal talent. But instead, is CBB held to a winning standard without the same in-state talent that his predecessors had.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

PorkSoda

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 02, 2017, 09:32:28 pm
I'm saying he's not going to offer a guys simply off of football skill. Pretty simple concept to grasp.

At least that is what we have been sold hard on.
correct.  if given the choice between a 3 star with good grades and work ethic and a 3 star who got through HS on talent alone, then he will choose the 3 star with good work ethic. 

there is no point in speculating what he would do with a 5 star, cause there aren't any wanting to come here.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Going back in the thread a little.  Its my opinion that given the exact same players as BB has had this season, Nutt would have beaten either TCU or A&M.  Likely TCU then got all fat & sassy and lost to A&M.  Petrino would have been undefeated right now.  Nutt would end up 4-4 in conference and likely 4-0 OOC and end the season at 8-4.  Petrino would have lost to BAMA and Auburn and ended the season at 10-2.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on October 02, 2017, 09:39:42 pm
While I'd probably give BP the edge on coaching ability, my original post was not about comparing the past coaches to each other with equal talent. But instead, is CBB held to a winning standard without the same in-state talent that his predecessors had.

He has to get the talent to fit his system from whereever he needs to go.  Tulsa is closer than most of Arkansas and KC is as close as LR.  We were sold BS about line play and defense and both are horrible 5 years in.  Colossal failure

JOKERHOG

Quote from: 12247 on October 02, 2017, 09:44:55 pm
Going back in the thread a little.  Its my opinion that given the exact same players as BB has had this season, Nutt would have beaten either TCU or A&M.  Likely TCU then got all fat & sassy and lost to A&M.  Petrino would have been undefeated right now.  Nutt would end up 4-4 in conference and likely 4-0 OOC and end the season at 8-4.  Petrino would have lost to BAMA and Auburn and ended the season at 10-2.

CBP > Nutt > our current "leader"

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: JOKERHOG on October 02, 2017, 09:47:40 pm
He has to get the talent to fit his system from whereever he needs to go.  Tulsa is closer than most of Arkansas and KC is as close as LR.  We were sold BS about line play and defense and both are horrible 5 years in.  Colossal failure

True...but Kansas City kids are NOT Hog addicted fans. Neither are Tulsa kids. I believe Nutt owes his career to DMac. Give CBB one Dmac and the narrative about him changes completely.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on October 02, 2017, 09:54:40 pm
True...but Kansas City kids are NOT Hog addicted fans. Neither are Tulsa kids. I believe Nutt owes his career to DMac. Give CBB one Dmac and the narrative about him changes completely.

Bret has a good stable of running backs. Push on the OL is what we lack.
This is my non-signature signature.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 02, 2017, 09:56:20 pm
Bret has a good stable of running backs. Push on the OL is what we lack.

You are correct. I love our stable right now...but DMac was on a whole different level.

PorkSoda

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on October 02, 2017, 09:59:54 pm
You are correct. I love our stable right now...but DMac was on a whole different level.
yeah DMAC's linemen actually credited him, saying that they only had to hold their block for less than a second and DMAC would already be past them.

Aside from DMAC extra gear on the long runs, he hit the hole hard and fast with no hesitation.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 02, 2017, 10:03:55 pm
yeah DMAC's linemen actually credited him, saying that they only had to hold their block for less than a second and DMAC would already be past them.

Aside from DMAC extra gear on the long runs, he hit the hole hard and fast with no hesitation.

Man I miss him...he was so much fun to watch.

sowmonella

Quote from: lakecityhog on October 02, 2017, 08:20:57 pm
Well, 1st of all we did not have "crazy" level talent. That is just another bit of propaganda continually regurgitated around here to try to discredit Petrino/Nutt as coaches.

How many of you even realize that DMac was listed as an athlete and not as a running back? Most people thought he would be a better DBack. Granted he was/is one of the greatest running backs ever at Arkansas or the SEC.

As to the rest of the OP, we would have won at a little better rate than now but not much better.

247 listed D Mac as a FIVE Star RB.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

jkstock04

Quote from: sowmonella on October 02, 2017, 10:07:26 pm
247 listed D Mac as a FIVE Star RB.
I recall him being listed as an athlete/DB as well.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

PorkSoda

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 02, 2017, 10:26:39 pm
we would have made a mean safety.

Jimbob111

That's crap. Of the Warren trio, only Adams was highly sought after by other schools and NO ONE wanted Matt Jones to play QB, even Hootie. Beliema has as much in-state talent as Petrino and Nutt, he just can't do anything with it.

"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

factchecker

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on October 02, 2017, 10:06:34 pm
Man I miss him...he was so much fun to watch.

McFadden was the best.  He deserved the Heisman.

If he had won the Heisman there would be a statue of him outside Razorback Stadium right now.  Maybe there will be one in the future.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Jimbob111 on October 02, 2017, 10:36:51 pm
That's crap. Of the Warren trio, only Adams was highly sought after by other schools and NO ONE wanted Matt Jones to play QB, even Hootie. Beliema has as much in-state talent as Petrino and Nutt, he just can't do anything with it.

Highly sought after or not. The talent was there and they wanted to be Hogs.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on October 02, 2017, 10:51:41 pm
Highly sought after or not. The talent was there and they wanted to be Hogs.

Maybe the question should be ask, how many of those "not highly sought after" recruits has CBB NOT recruited to Arkansas that CBP would have made stars of like the Warren trio?  You can't make blanket statements that affect only one coach.  Each coach has the opportunity to find and develop players instate or not.

31to6

Quote from: BigE_23 on October 02, 2017, 08:47:31 pm
Since we're speculating...how would Bert do at Wisky RIGHT NOW with Urban Meyer at OSU, Harbaugh at Michigan, and Franklin at Penn State?

All three programs were in the toilet during his over-lauded 3 straight Rose Bowls.
He would be beating the darn out of Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana, Purdue and Illinois and winning his division. Wisky is tops in their half of the BIG. Basically on auto-pilot.

sowmonella

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 02, 2017, 10:26:39 pm
247Sports Composite  0.9855
Natl Comp 35
Pos RB 7
St AR 1
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

jkstock04

Quote from: sowmonella on October 02, 2017, 11:03:49 pm
247Sports Composite  0.9855
Natl Comp 35
Pos RB 7
St AR 1

247 wasn't close to being around back then. Rivals and maybe scout were it.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2005/darren-mcfadden-17249
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 02, 2017, 08:27:02 pm
Really?  How many college teams have ever had two starting RBs, at same time, that went on to be NFL starters?  Then how many had 3?

Basically every Alabama, UGA, LSU, Tennessee, Miami, Florida St., UF, USC, Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio St. team ever in the modern era.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on October 02, 2017, 09:26:44 pm
May I ask which top tier bowl games CBP has been to and won?

This^^^
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Großer Kriegschwein

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on October 02, 2017, 09:26:44 pm
May I ask which top tier bowl games CBP has been to and won?

Orange Bowl

IronHog

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on October 02, 2017, 08:12:03 pm
Come...sup with me as we speculate pointlessly...

I've heard many comments about CBB being the beneficiary of poor in-state talent like CPB and Hootie had.

So...my question is this...WHAT IF...what if CBB had the team Nutt had? Better OLine. One of the greatest RB trios in the history of college football. Or the best running QB in recent memory in Matt Jones.

What if CBB had the WR trio (quartet w/ Hamilton) and Mallett, during the Petrino era? What a massive amount of talent that he had fall into his lap. Is it possible that CBB would've equaled/surpassed what CBP was able to with all of that talent?

Its all speculation and opinion, but I tend to believe that the Hogs had an ok and a great coach with AMAZING  instate talent. In which we now have a very good coach without the crazy talent his predecessors had and won with. I'm NOT taking away from CBPs coaching ability. I think he's a great offensive minded coach, but he was also handed tremendous talent.

So, to stay on point...WHAT IF CBB had either of their classes?

🙄
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: 12247 on October 02, 2017, 09:44:55 pm

Auburn couldn't beat BP without Cam Newton

PonderinHog

GuvHog

October 03, 2017, 08:08:45 am #81 Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:27:37 am by GuvHog
Quote from: Jimbob111 on October 02, 2017, 10:36:51 pm

Adams wasn't part of the Warren Trio. He was not from there. The Warren Trio were Childs, Wright, and Gragg. Childs and Wright were both wavering and looking at Tennessee when Petrino was hired.

Joe Adams attended Central Arkansas Christian and was a USC Trojan lock until Petrino flipped him shortly before signing day.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

IronHog

Quote from: GuvHog on October 03, 2017, 08:08:45 am
Adams wasn't part of the Warren Trio. He was not from there. The Warren Trio were Childs, Wright, and Gragg. Childs and Wright were both wavering and looking at Tennessee when Petrino was hired.

Joe Adams attended Little Rock Christian and was a USC Trojan lock until Petrino flipped him shortly before signing day.

Don't forget Basmine Jones......

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 03, 2017, 08:07:06 am
Cotton Bowl 2012

I was going with BCS Bowls because that's the era the Orange Bowl was played in.

Redhogs

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

rzrbk4life

Joe Adams attended Little Rock Christian and was a USC Trojan lock until Petrino flipped him shortly before signing day.

Joe Adams attended Central Arkansas Christian
Let's call those hogs!!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: rzrbk4life on October 03, 2017, 08:24:34 am
Joe Adams attended Central Arkansas Christian

You're right of course and that's what I meant to type. I don't know why I typed Little Rock Christian instead.

Redhogs

"While I'd probably give BP the edge on coaching ability"...with that one statement you have lost all objective credibility. Bert is not even in the same galaxie...
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Gonzo

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on October 02, 2017, 08:12:03 pm
Come...sup with me as we speculate pointlessly...

I've heard many comments about CBB being the beneficiary of poor in-state talent like CPB and Hootie had.

So...my question is this...WHAT IF...what if CBB had the team Nutt had? Better OLine. One of the greatest RB trios in the history of college football. Or the best running QB in recent memory in Matt Jones.

What if CBB had the WR trio (quartet w/ Hamilton) and Mallett, during the Petrino era? What a massive amount of talent that he had fall into his lap. Is it possible that CBB would've equaled/surpassed what CBP was able to with all of that talent?

Its all speculation and opinion, but I tend to believe that the Hogs had an ok and a great coach with AMAZING  instate talent. In which we now have a very good coach without the crazy talent his predecessors had and won with. I'm NOT taking away from CBPs coaching ability. I think he's a great offensive minded coach, but he was also handed tremendous talent.

So, to stay on point...WHAT IF CBB had either of their classes?

Well, if we're going to speculate, what if all those NFL ready studs that just fell into BP's lap had actually played for a good coach? We already know he didn't develop them into Sunday players, hell, he probably held them back from being even more spectacular.

Always good to start the day with a chuckle.

Go Hogs!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 03, 2017, 08:17:21 am
I was going with BCS Bowls because that's the era the Orange Bowl was played in.
Yeah, but wasn't the CB considered one of the better match ups in 2012?

hogsmash12

I'm as disappointed with CBB's failure to recruit and struggles with the offensive line as the next guy.  I just watched that game tape of Wisci beating Ohio State and am simple bewildered.  Take a look at the size and speed of that team and you can't help but coming away impressed.  They also seemed to play with an edge. 

Why doesn't he just go up North and get a bunch of those hosses?

IronHog

Quote from: hogsmash12 on October 03, 2017, 09:09:51 am
I'm as disappointed with CBB's failure to recruit and struggles with the offensive line as the next guy.  I just watched that game tape of Wisci beating Ohio State and am simple bewildered.  Take a look at the size and speed of that team and you can't help but coming away impressed.  They also seemed to play with an edge. 

Why doesn't he just go up North and get a bunch of those hosses?

Results would be about like his 2014-15 Hog teams

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: BigE_23 on October 02, 2017, 08:37:28 pm
The notion that all the talent Coach Petrino had during his tenure just "fell in his lap" makes me wanna puke!!!

Why did Mallett want to transfer to Arkansas? To play for Petrino. Nope - Rich Rod was coming in at Michigan and RM didn't fit his style of play
[/b]
Where was Tyler Wilson going before CBP was hired?? Tulsa. Wrong again.  TW was highly recruited but thought Nutt's offense wasn't a good fit. Wanted to come to Arky all along

Where was Joe Adams going? USC. Red buzzer wrong.  Joe Adams spoke with Damien Williams about USC (walk-on) but Arky finally offered and jumped on it

Who recruited Knile Davis? Travis Swanson? Cobi Hamilton (Texas High)?? Ding!  You finally got one right!!!

I could keep going...those teams weren't a fluke assemblage of in-state talent. Petrino deserves every bit of the credit for keeping those kids in state, because before he came, many weren't even considering coming to Fayetteville. But he also added some great pieces from out of state as well.

Meanwhile, Bert has lost KJ Hill, Josh Frazier, Demarea Crockett, and many more. Don't twist the facts to try and fit your narrative.

IronHog

Adams committed to USC on TV

He flipped and Green transferred home

hogsanity

This is funny, in a thread where the premise of the OP is to make stuff up, some of you get mad and accuse people of making stuff up.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Razorbax

Jay Wright and Childs visited Texas Tech and there were rumors of very high interest in TT's offense. Lastly, Gragg was converted By CBP to TE. Basmine Jones was the fourth from Warren.

Joe Adams attended Central Arkansas Christian and was a USC Trojan lock until Petrino flipped him shortly before signing day.

BigE_23

October 03, 2017, 09:51:33 am #96 Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 10:05:41 am by BigE_23
Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on October 03, 2017, 09:22:36 am

You confirmed all three of the things that you called wrong...which is hilarious.

1.) Sure, Mallett was open to transfer because of the Michigan coaching change. HOWEVER, the only reason Arkansas was back in the running for his services was because of our own coaching change. He would have never in a million years played for the dork.

2.) So you confirmed he wasn't coming to Arkansas prior to Petrino...and was in fact going to Tulsa. So what did I say that was wrong???

3.) Joe Adams was a USC commit prior to Petrino's hiring. PERIOD.

4.) I was 4/4.

And btw, no true, self-respecting Razorback fan would ever refer to us as "Arky". That's a demeaning term that the Texas$ tea-sips tried to give us. So not only was your entire post a fail, but you showed how little you actually know about being a Hog fan.

BigE_23

Quote from: IronHog on October 03, 2017, 09:30:44 am
Adams committed to USC on TV

He flipped and Green transferred home

this

GuvHog

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on October 03, 2017, 09:22:36 am

Mallett transferred to Arkansas because he wanted to:

(A) be a Hog
(B) Play for Petrino.

TW was indeed committed to Tulsa until BP flipped him.

Joe Adams was a USC Trojan lock til BP flipped him shortly before signing day.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: BigE_23 on October 03, 2017, 09:51:33 am
You confirmed all three of the things that you called wrong...which is hilarious.

1.) Sure, Mallett was open to transfer because of the Michigan coaching change. HOWEVER, the only reason Arkansas was back in the running for his services was because of our own coaching change. He would have never in a million years played for the dork.

2.) So you confirmed he wasn't coming to Arkansas prior to Petrino...and was in fact going to Tulsa. So what did I say that was wrong???

3.) Joe Adams was a USC commit prior to Petrino's hiring. PERIOD.

4.) I was 4/4.

And btw, no true, self-respecting Razorback fan would ever refer to us as "Arky". That's a demeaning term that the Texas$ tea-sips tried to give us. So not only was your entire post a fail, but you showed how little you actually know about being a Hog fan.

Not a fail but I have my opinion as you have yours...NBD buddy - good convo and dialogue right up until you said I know little about being a Hog fan.  I (being from NLR, played football at Jacksonville and Henderson State) know quite a bit about being a Hog fan and don't see referencing Arkansas as Arky a big deal or showstopper...But I appreciate the dialogue tho.