Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sports Talk - coaching news

Started by TN HOG, November 08, 2017, 09:30:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TN HOG

The Hammer interview appears spot on and he is "bad man".

Mike Irwin barber shop GOB news; around the 30:50 mark

http://sportstalkwithbo.podomatic.com

Basically it's Gus or Norvell. 

All interesting....
Play like a Champion!

Cylinder

I would highly suggest the Mike Irwin segment, Whether you like it  or not -- or even if you are inclined to disbelieve the anecdote -- it does a decent-enough job of kind of explaining some of the different factions that are certain to be in play this off-season.

Paul

Norvell is not from Arkansas as was stated. Interesting that Norvell was Zak Clark''s roommate.  Christy Malzahn is batShite crazy & i'm not believing any rumor based on what she supposedly said.

Matt Burks

So now Bo is starting to play up Gus. One caller talks up Gus and Bo is talking like the guy is the entire fan base. Come on Mike Irwin and Bo, you know better than that.

jackflash

Bo know nothing for sure just has a opinion

PharmacistHog

Quote from: jackflash on November 09, 2017, 12:15:42 am
Bo know nothing for sure just has a opinion

Did delta hack your account?
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

RexMentor

I'm absolutely certain the Springdale group wants Gus. However, that group has ZERO influence on Long and it will be his decision becuase he's not going anywhere. Additionally, there's not enough water from the River Jordan possessed by Cross Church to make this happen.

The_Iceman

Gus can't develop a QB. His defense has bailed him out at Auburn. And that has more to do with the recruiting pipeline than Gus. He would be a bad fit here schematically.

King Kong

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 09, 2017, 08:18:40 am
Gus can't develop a QB. His defense has bailed him out at Auburn. And that has more to do with the recruiting pipeline than Gus. He would be a bad fit here schematically.

Ironically, Gus at Arkansas would look very similar to Nutt. Just in spread form instead of power I.

Beat up on teams that can't stop the run and come up short against elite teams due to an insufficient passing game

Hawginj

Quote from: King Kong on November 09, 2017, 08:34:19 am
Ironically, Gus at Arkansas would look very similar to Nutt. Just in spread form instead of power I.

Beat up on teams that can't stop the run and come up short against elite teams due to an insufficient passing game
A whole lot of truth here! I have no idea why some fans are happy just being middle of the road. Gus is an ok coach but I'm sure no one wants to go back to the days of Hootie.

BigK_HogHeaven

Glad to already see a thread about this.  I thought the Irwin segment was very interesting and while Gus wouldn't be my first (or 2nd, or 3rd) choice, I would certainly support him if he were the next coach.  Let's get Arkansas back to being Arkansas!

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: Hawginj on November 09, 2017, 08:45:04 am
A whole lot of truth here! I have no idea why some fans are happy just being middle of the road. Gus is an ok coach but I'm sure no one wants to go back to the days of Hootie.

Let me preface this by saying I'm not a Gus fan...but he's a lot more than an "ok" coach.  He's coached in two national championships (yes, I know Cam hand delivered the first one) and Auburn is currently the #10 team in the country.  That's far from middle of the road.  Wouldn't you kill to be #10 in the country right now?

hoggusamoungus

GuvHog

Quote from: BigK_HogHeaven on November 09, 2017, 08:52:57 am
Let me preface this by saying I'm not a Gus fan...but he's a lot more than an "ok" coach.  He's coached in two national championships (yes, I know Cam hand delivered the first one) and Auburn is currently the #10 team in the country.  That's far from middle of the road.  Wouldn't you kill to be #10 in the country right now?

After Auburn plays Georgia and Bama  they won't be close to #10 in the country.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rzrbackhogfan

I am amazed at everyone who can straight faced say a coach who is #10 in the country and is recruiting in the toughest market in all of College Football (AL #2 and GA #1) are both right around the corner and he is still 10th!!!  Yea he really SUCKS!!!  I am not a Gus Bus guy but if this is the thoughts out there then we are in trouble!!! 

GuvHog

Quote from: rzrbackhogfan on November 09, 2017, 09:31:36 am
I am amazed at everyone who can straight faced say a coach who is #10 in the country and is recruiting in the toughest market in all of College Football (AL #2 and GA #1) are both right around the corner and he is still 10th!!!  Yea he really SUCKS!!!  I am not a Gus Bus guy but if this is the thoughts out there then we are in trouble!!! 

I refer you to reply #14 in this thread.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Paul

He's eminently qualified for the job, no doubt.  I didn't like the way he piggybacked into the job as OC with the big 3 & the way he left after telling them he was staying.  I acknowledge he was treated poorly by Nutt & staff.  The worst things about him are his association with one of the most corrupt programs in CFB who bought Cam & got away with it & his bipolar wife.

The_Iceman

He won't be next to Georgia and Florida here at Arkansas. He won't have that pipeline. Add that to the fact that he struggles to develop QBs and implement any type of complex passing game that is needed here.

Gus is not the right fit for our program, regardless of where he is from. If he wasn't from Arkansas, many of you would treat him like Les Miles or Kevin Sumlin.

Hawginj

sure I would love to be #10 right now. Hell I'd love to just be competitive but let's face it every team in the SEC knows Gus's offense they play against it every year.   If we are going in a different direction then we need to go completely different I'm not going to quit being a razorback fan if he's hired but I'm probably not going to quite as excited or travel up to as many games. I believe we should go young and high octane     

Hawginj

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 09, 2017, 09:57:44 am
He won't be next to Georgia and Florida here at Arkansas. He won't have that pipeline. Add that to the fact that he struggles to develop QBs and implement any type of complex passing game that is needed here.

Gus is not the right fit for our program, regardless of where he is from. If he wasn't from Arkansas, many of you would treat him like Les Miles or Kevin Sumlin.
100% truth! Dilly!

HoopS

maybe. But if he were not from here and his name popped up, I'd venture to say many who poo-poo his name now would be talking about how great it would be to steal a coach away from top ten Auburn.

I always get a kick out of this topic.

Folks were saying forever that he only won because of Cam. True, their D did suck. But is saying he only won the national title due to Cam a negative? So you're telling me his system, if it gets the right QB, and has a crappy D like they had that season, can still win a title? I mean it did. And by most accounts it was due to one player.

Doesn't that actually make him more appealing? That if he can get that key QB he can win it all again?

If I told you we had a chance to hire a coach who in his 10 years of coaching on the college level had won a title, came close to a second, and played in the SECCG 3 times, would you take that coach? Some answers would likely be YES, until they realized it was GM who did that.

nwahogfan1

I like Gus especially compared to CBB but I also have concerns to where can Gus take us.  He did very well at Auburn one year but the rest by Auburn standards have been just OK or below fan expectations.  Can he win enough here?????

Of course Gus record at Auburn would be great here.   But can Gus reach those same W-L seasons here? 

Any coach we hire I think these are some realistic goals for an Arkansas coach over 10 years? To win 9+ games at least 2 years, no more than 2 seasons of 5-6 wins and the other years winning 7-8 wins.  Also I think fans want to win the Bowl game so I will throw in our new coach needs to be able to motivate us to win our bowl game 75% of the time.  Also losses must be competitive.  I get so sick of going into games being the underdog by 4 TDs.  No more years of getting ran completely out of the game.   I think the right coach can reach these goals.

Paul

Quote from: HoopS on November 09, 2017, 10:14:23 am
maybe. But if he were not from here and his name popped up, I'd venture to say many who poo-poo his name now would be talking about how great it would be to steal a coach away from top ten Auburn.

Folks were saying forever that he only won because of Cam. True, their D did suck. But is saying he only won the national title due to Cam a negative? So you're telling me his system, if it gets the right QB, and has a crappy D like they had that season, can still win a title? I mean it did. And by most accounts it was due to one player.

Doesn't that actually make him more appealing? That if he can get that key QB he can win it all again?

If I told you we had a chance to hire a coach who in his 10 years of coaching on the college level had won a title, came close to a second, and played in the SECCG 3 times, would you take that coach? Some answers would likely be YES, until they realized it was GM who did that.
I agree but that's where judgement comes in...bad fit indeed

hogsanity

Quote from: HoopS on November 09, 2017, 10:14:23 am

The thing Gus has shown is that he has to have a very specific type player at QB, one that is almost impossible to find. IF they were not almost impossible to find, Gus would have one every year because eh knows exactly what he needs. Gotta be big and tough, able to run between the tackles 20 times a game. Does not have to be a great passer, but has to be able to differentiate between the receiver and the 3 ineligible OL downfield 15 yards.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HoopS

Quote from: Paul on November 09, 2017, 10:18:23 am
  I agree but that's where judgement comes in...bad fit indeed
people say just win. But it's more like - just win playing a style I like, coached by a coach I believe "fits".

rzrbackhogfan

Quote from: GuvHog on November 09, 2017, 09:44:23 am
I refer you to reply #14 in this thread.

OH I see yes so once he loses to GA and AL he will be shown as a weak coach.  I see now.  He will have 4 loses this year to #3 Clemson, #2 AL, and #1 GA.  Isn't that probably the toughest schedule in the Country?  Yea we don't want that, we need someone who is used to coaching against teams like Coastal Carolina and TCU

ipigsooie

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 09, 2017, 10:14:41 am
I like Gus especially compared to CBB but I also have concerns to where can Gus take us.  He did very well at Auburn one year but the rest by Auburn standards have been just OK or below fan expectations.  Can he win enough here?????

Of course Gus record at Auburn would be great here.   But can Gus reach those same W-L seasons here? 

Any coach we hire I think these are some realistic goals for an Arkansas coach over 10 years? To win 9+ games at least 2 years, no more than 2 seasons of 5-6 wins and the other years winning 7-8 wins.  Also I think fans want to win the Bowl game so I will throw in our new coach needs to be able to motivate us to win our bowl game 75% of the time.  Also losses must be competitive.  I get so sick of going into games being the underdog by 4 TDs.  No more years of getting ran completely out of the game.   I think the right coach can reach these goals.

Its hard to imagine him winning his average of 8.7 games per season with the recruits he would get here.  Also the past 3 years he has won 8, 7 and 8 total games. I think Gus would be a good hire but he is not my top choice.

hogsanity

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 09, 2017, 10:25:04 am
Its hard to imagine him winning his average of 8.7 games per season with the recruits he would get here. 

Wait, let me get this stright, a guy wearing a NC ring he won as OC, and a guy who was HC in another NC game is not going to be able to win 8 games a year here because of the recruits he would get here, BUT some guy with like 2 yrs HC experience at a G5 school is going to be able to do that and more?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rzrbackhogfan

Pipeline from GA, and AL and Clemson?  What you think those programs are recruiting kids and once they have their fill send them over to AU?  Once these programs are done with their recruits there's not a whole lot left.  It has nothing to do with being from AR.  Name another coach out there who has been in the top 10 that is a real option. 

ipigsooie

Quote from: hogsanity on November 09, 2017, 10:27:31 am
Wait, let me get this stright, a guy wearing a NC ring he won as OC, and a guy who was HC in another NC game is not going to be able to win 8 games a year here because of the recruits he would get here, BUT some guy with like 2 yrs HC experience at a G5 school is going to be able to do that and more?

Where did i say that its easy to imagine a guy from a non p5 conference winning more than 8 games a year here? I just said i dont think gus will translate his success at arkansas. Why is that hard to believe? You really dont think auburn gets better recruits than arkansas? I would rather have norvell for a lot of reasons,  but i never said that i think he would win more games than gus.

King Kong

Quote from: rzrbackhogfan on November 09, 2017, 10:29:53 am
Pipeline from GA, and AL and Clemson?  What you think those programs are recruiting kids and once they have their fill send them over to AU?  Once these programs are done with their recruits there's not a whole lot left.  It has nothing to do with being from AR.  Name another coach out there who has been in the top 10 that is a real option.

Lane Kiffin.

ipigsooie

Quote from: King Kong on November 09, 2017, 10:42:47 am
Lane Kiffin.

I like him as a wildcard. I think he could be extremely successful. He is definitely in my top 3 now.

rzrbackhogfan

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 09, 2017, 10:32:00 am
Where did i say that its easy to imagine a guy from a non p5 conference winning more than 8 games a year here? I just said i dont think gus will translate his success at arkansas. Why is that hard to believe? You really dont think auburn gets better recruits than arkansas? I would rather have norvell for a lot of reasons,  but i never said that i think he would win more games than gus.

I really want to know your reasons Norvell who I think would be a good pick is better than Gus!!!  Head coach at Nevada who is 1 - 8.  has ties to TX?  When was that?  Was it when he was the Wide Receivers coach at TX and they fired their head coach?  Again I think he would be a great future coach if you want to wait.  If you need a coach to come in now and be successful I don't think he is the one.  But please tell me the information I don't know about this coach that makes him better than a top 10 SEC coach.

hogsanity

Quote from: rzrbackhogfan on November 09, 2017, 10:52:22 am
I really want to know your reasons Norvell who I think would be a good pick is better than Gus!!!  Head coach at Nevada who is 1 - 8.  has ties to TX?  When was that?  Was it when he was the Wide Receivers coach at TX and they fired their head coach?  Again I think he would be a great future coach if you want to wait.  If you need a coach to come in now and be successful I don't think he is the one.  But please tell me the information I don't know about this coach that makes him better than a top 10 SEC coach.

You have got to be someones duplicate acct. 

rzrbackhogfan

Lane Kiffin.

Lane Kiffin would be good pick!  Need a backup guy though in case he doesn't want the job.

ipigsooie

How again are we going to get Gus in the first place? He gets fired? He isnt going to get fired if he wins a game against bama or georgia, and i know we arent going to try to buy him out. If he does get fired for losing to both, itll be another 8 win season. He wont get fired for his just his record, he is going to get fired because of his personality. I know you are being condescending but there is a real reason people just dont like gus. Yes, winning cures all, but 6 or 7 win seasons with the fact that he would come in here with a real faction of our fan base unhappy about signing a fired coach with a turd of a personality as our head coach. Plus, i dont really care about the mess that happened when he was here, but there is a real part of our fan base that will never be happy with him about whatever did or didnt happen. 

I think gus is a good coach. I think he will be successful wherever he goes but i just dont think that is what we need right now with a state divided.  Ive been on the norvell train since the sc game because a friend of mine in memphis told me about his interest in our program and i did some research into his coaching style and  how he runs his program. I was sold after watching and learning more. I think his success will translate. Im also not saying he is a guarantee or he is the only candidate we should consider but i just dont think gus would be the right choice for our program right now.

Amityvillehogger

Lane Kiffin.

I feel like he'd be on the first train out for the next big job.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Broadway Rob

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 09, 2017, 08:18:40 am

Nick Marshall was pretty damn good
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: GuvHog on November 09, 2017, 08:58:13 am
After Auburn plays Georgia and Bama  they won't be close to #10 in the country.

This is asinine!  Lots of teams will lose to Bama and Georgia this year.  Doesn't mean they are over ranked.
They're 1 and 2 in the country.
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

Maddhog

I have a solid Auburn connection and those folks would help GM pack,put a bow on him and ship him to us.   Then they would hire Norvell or or one of the bright young coaches.   
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Birminghog

NashvilleHog

Norvell has never coached at Nevada and wasn't a WR coach at Texas.  Just saying...
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

Ironhawg

I was listening to ESPN radio this morning and heard that Bruce Pearl is in serious trouble with Auburn.  He is apparently refusing to cooperate with a university investigation into basketball recruiting violations.  The guys on the show were speculating that he is as good as gone.  With Jacobs already gone, if Pearl was to get himself canned, would that affect Auburn maybe keeping Gus around for another year?

hogsanity

Quote from: NashvilleHog on November 09, 2017, 01:41:14 pm
Norvell has never coached at Nevada and wasn't a WR coach at Texas.  Just saying...

The coach at Nevada is also named Norvell.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Broadway Rob on November 09, 2017, 12:38:30 pm
Nick Marshall was pretty damn good

In their NC season, he had a 59% completion, 14 TDs and 6 INTs with 1976 passing yards. That team ran for 4596 yards. Marshall had 1068 of those with 12 Yrs.

Gus has been mediocre since then. His passing game is not complex. If he doesn't have an explosive runner at QB, his offense can't beat the SEC defenses consistently.

Is offense is based on wearing you down with the running game, then lobbing up deep balls to bug WRs. Oh, and the illegal WR screens that he runs.

prattville pig

Life's too short to last long.

Atlhogfan1

AU needed fluke plays to not be 8-4 in Gus' first season.

Gus is like Nutt was to a portion of homers or Anderson is now. 

I appreciated Irwin's sardonic tone towards some of the statements he heard from the GOBN members. 

He was asked by one supposedly about what former NC and NCG coach could Arkansas get besides Gus:  Lester.  Now not that many of us would be excited by that.  But this achievement isn't exclusive to Gus as far as potential job takers. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

colbs

Arkansas could get Miles(not that I want) and he has a better resume.  So what everyone was telling Mike was not true as far as Malzahn being the most accomplished coach Arkansas could get.

Cylinder

I think the point is there is probably a significant faction of influence that will lobby for returning to a level of Arkansas ties for a variety of reasons. It's my belief (i.e. unsourced assertion) that this argument will win out on its strength -- and probably its merits.

For instance, to hire Les Miles (which I'm not advocating here but rather asserting arguendo) would require the AD yo be replaced with closer Arkansas ties.

These are the same people who will be called upon to #answerthecall when it comes time for discussing changes.