Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas vs Florida A&M Observations

Started by RazorAg, November 21, 2012, 02:22:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorAg

Another step in the right direction last night, IMO.  We went cold the first part of the second half, but we bounced back quickly and stretched the lead back to 20 where it stayed most of the night.

> Again, happy with Ky Madden's play, as was Coach A, if you listened to his postgame interview with Chuck.  Coach A called him a glue guy, and I totally agree.  Pat Bradley also tweeted about him being a stat sheet stuffer.  He's doing what we need him to do, handling the ball the most for us.  This is what I envisioned with him as I talked about how I expected him to develop over the offseason.  One thing we haven't seen yet is a ton of pressure on the ball, and that will be the true test with him, so I'm reserving total judgement on him when it comes to his competency as a floor leader.  So far, so good, though.  In addition to timely passes, rebounding and deflections, he just knows what needs to happen.  That is the instinct I've talked about with him that Rickey Scott doesn't display enough at the PG spot.
> Up and down, up and down with Hunter.  Feet and balance are the main issues I see right now.  A lot of people will call Hunter soft and not aggressive right now.  I don't agree with the not aggressive part.  I think he's aggressive; he just doesn't look aggressive when he makes an offensive attempt.  Why?  Feet and balance.  He actually has pretty good feet and balance for a 6'10 player, but the problem is when he presses and tries to make a move and absorb contact, he goes on skates.  It's not unlike Rickey would do last year when he drove to the rim.  Watch him closely guys.  He's often off balance when he's on the block.  Some of this has to do with lower body strength; some of it is just experience with executing down low.  The other thing that is showing up so far is weak hands.  He needs to work on his fade away and he needs to face-up offensively.  Then, go to work again in the offseason.
> BJ's shot does look different to me.  It seems more on his shoulder than last year.  His off hand seems to be in a different spot, at least on his follow through.  An already flat shot looks flatter.  Not sure what's going on there.  Not a bad game for him but not a very good one either.  One thing that's significant so far with BJ is that he has 8 assists and 1 turnover.
> Thank you, Mardracus Wade.  Last night, he played his role perfectly in my opinion.  Focused less on driving to the goal and didn't hesitate when he got space to shoot it.  That's the adjustment I wanted and talked about in my last game report.
> Expected Kikko to get more minutes last night.  Kikko was ahead of Dee last game.  Dee ahead of Kikko this game.  Both appear to be similar in production right now.
> JaCorey Williams was ahead of Qualls last night, and I thought that was interesting.  I think Qualls could be pressing a little.  Typical freshman stuff, especially one that has seen some success.  Williams made an immediate positive impact when he got into the game with a block and a few rebounds.  Again, potential oozing...
> Coty Clarke was beasting people last night on the boards.  Only got credit for 7 rebounds but kept several alive.  Did you guys realize that he's 18-21 from the FT line this year?  That's a signficant value for us, as he will be fouled a lot.
> Again, love Rickey off the bench.  Coach A inserted him a couple of times during the game last night and our energy level went up defensively, which led to offensive surges.
> Ant was off, but he was due to be off.  Shots were short, but on line.
> Marshawn looked great.  Ran the court very, very well, resulting in an early 8 points for him.
> I think something interesting about our press is that I'm not convinced our first unit is that great of a pressing team.  But, when our second unit gets in our we mix some of our second unit in with the first, it's a terror.  Substitutions will be key this year in that regard.

Schematically on offense, our second unit operates without a post most of the time.  It is a pure motion offense, with most of the opportunities created off of how we screen and pass the ball on the perimeter.  Against better teams, we will likely have to make some adjustments here.

Arizona State is 3-0.  They are big inside and they have a very good PG.  Those two things could present problems for us, but I think we're more talented.  Just need to execute and defend well.

hawgchill

SWD26

Thanks RazorAg, good report.

I'm not trying to be argumentative whatsoever, and I can see some of what you are saying concerning Mickelson, but , to me, he does seem very laid back when it comes to getting in the thick of things and fighting for a rebound. Last year, I thought that he was just failing to react quickly enough, being indecisive if you will, but now I just don't know.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mickelson and all of the players but to come out of High-School ranked in the top 100 one would expect a little more with him being in his second year. One can see that he has talent but for some reason he just doesn't seem to be able to put it all together yet.

I generally watch a lot of basketball, as I know you do also, and you can find numerous forwards and centers on little teams across the Nation that, while lacking over-all talent, fight for position and rebound the ball.   

I really hope Hunter turns it around, I would love to see him have a great career for the Hogs and get into the NBA.

The_Iceman

I can tell you when Rickey will make a shot after watching it leave his hand. He breaks his wrist more and his arm is back more at an angle when he makes it. When he misses, his wrist and arms are more stiff and vertical and the ball is more pushed.

Dominicanhog