Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anderson extended two years to 2022

Started by phadedhawg, January 26, 2018, 05:27:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

riccoar

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 27, 2018, 10:06:35 am
He wasn't going to be fired this year regardless. If he doesnt make the tournament this year or next he's gone. Its as simple as that.
True, buyout remains same.  But they should have waited till selection Sunday to make this move, IMHO.  That way you let Anderson know, our expectations are a bit higher than what has been delivered to date.  We should expect to be in the NCAAT 7-8 times every 10 years.  Arkansas invest enough time and money into Men's basketball to expect a coach to deliver that.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: riccoar on January 27, 2018, 12:07:31 pm
  We should expect to be in the NCAAT 7-8 times every 10 years.  Arkansas invest enough time and money into Men's basketball to expect a coach to deliver that.

I think that's reasonable and I think 6 years from now, you'll be able to say, we did...

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: riccoar on January 27, 2018, 12:07:31 pm
True, buyout remains same.  But they should have waited till selection Sunday to make this move, IMHO.  That way you let Anderson know, our expectations are a bit higher than what has been delivered to date.  We should expect to be in the NCAAT 7-8 times every 10 years.  Arkansas invest enough time and money into Men's basketball to expect a coach to deliver that.
Arkansas deserves better than this. He needs to get to the tournament and actually make some noise. Mike is a nice guy but, so far, he's the Leonard Hamilton of the SEC. It's way past time for the powers that be to step in and head in a different direction.

latrops

Doesn't mean near as much as some are reading into it.  It is no more difficult or expensive for either side to move on now than it was prior to the extension.   

That said, Mike's job is pretty secure for the time being.   We would have to miss this year's tournament just for him to be on the hot seat pending next year's results.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2018, 10:12:57 am
I'll give you the recruiting class and win @Bud Walton, but is he really killing it in year 1?

They're 12-7/3-4 (worse than us) against the #63 SOS (ours ranks #29). They've lost 3 of their last 4, including home losses to Alabama and Georgia and a loss @Vanderbilt, the worst team in the league. An average UK team also beat them at home. You probably would've fired Wade at least 5 times this season.

They're definitely on the upswing compared to last year, but that wasn't hard to achieve.

Well, they sure are seeing a lot quicker returns than we saw with Mike. We had to wait 4 years for an NCAA bid, and in year 7 still haven't seen the 2nd weekend.

sadhogfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 27, 2018, 08:18:46 am
Mike is in year 7. Meanwhile at LSU there is Will Wade, who kicked Mike's @$$ this year in Bud Walton, is killing it in year 1 and will be adding this class to Waters:

If MA stays an additional two years, that should give you enough time to change your mind an additional 12 times as to whether or not you support him.

Justifiable Hogicide

Whew! The pressure is off now. "The Fastest 40 in Basketball" can just keep on rolling without regard to achievement or lack there of.
Our BOT pulled off this strategery AND hiring Gus Malazahn in one year. Maybe they'll get bonuses too.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 26, 2018, 11:26:53 pm
Matters not,because you have no say so.you are just another hater.Bud Walton keeps selling out for a reason.
Matters to me and that's what matters.

FYI, I've been to 3 home games this year.  You?

The OTR

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 26, 2018, 11:26:53 pm
Matters not,because you have no say so.you are just another hater.Bud Walton keeps selling out for a reason.

I think I'd rather make a sweet sixteen or better a few times than sell out but Walton in a game in January. But that's just me. 

hogsanity

BOT just admitted they do not think Hog basketball is going to be relevant again so might as well settle for the warm memories of 1994 for as long as people are will to live 20+years in the past.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

latrops

Quote from: cram224 on January 27, 2018, 12:04:54 pm
No lawyer here, but does the contract say he can be fired and the UofA only has to pay the buyout of $1M or is that plus the terms of what's left at time of termination?

That is what a buyout does....it allows the remainder of the contract be terminated in exchange for the lump payout.   If Anderson were fired today he would not be owed his "salary" for future seasons.

Oliver

Mjs84

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 26, 2018, 05:55:21 pm
I love it. well deserved extension and raise.i am liking the new A.D. more and more.the people in charge made a good decision.hope this extension will shut the fire Mike Anderson folks here on hogville up.this is great news.WPS------------------GO HOGS.

Ya, we know what you think.  At least 4 more years of road losses.

Knot2brite

Well so now I have two Hog sports to be a causal fan of..
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Dr. Starcs

golfinpig

I love it. well deserved extension and raise.i am liking the new A.D. more and more.the people in charge made a good decision.hope this extension will shut the fire Mike Anderson folks here on hogville up.this is great news.WPS------------------GO HOGS.
The fact that they gave him an extension doesn't make him a better coach. He will still still do the same dumb crap and will still not be able to recruit a point quard or a power forward.

HawgsPolo

Go Cubs Go!!!!!

bkjbearcat

Quote from: orvillesghost on January 27, 2018, 10:19:14 am
Done for recruiting purposes, doesn't change anything at all.

He probably won't be but if he doesn't win the SEC regular season title or make it past the Round of 32 in the NCAA, he should be let go.

What other school would tolerate never doing one of the above seven years in? It is an amazing thing that so many around here seem willing to.

Glad he got an extension so more elite talent can tell him to suck eggs.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

PharmacistHog

Maybe he wants to retire in a few years and the extension just gets him to that point.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 28, 2018, 01:05:57 pm
Maybe he wants to retire in a few years and the extension just gets him to that point.

Cruel teasing for some Pharm.  At 58 it would seem he would have maybe a decade left as long as he is healthy and recruiting doesn't burn him out with the shoe company and aau nonsense.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

99toLife

I don't see any downfall from giving Mike a two year extention  at a measly 100K raise it changes nothing! we can fire him at any time with no additional cost and it helps with recruiting.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 27, 2018, 10:01:36 am
The contract that was signed that extended him through 2020 stipulates that the buyout is $1 million year paid on a cumulative basis. If he would have been fired at the end of this season he would have been owed a $1 million for 18/19 and 19/20. Odds are they put the same language in for 20/21 and 20/22. So at this point the buyout would be $4 million.....not $1 million. Let's not have another contract gate.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/public/Mike-Anderson-Extension.pdf
I double checked this last night at the basketball game with several members of the athletic department staff. It's a flat one million dollar buyout now or at any point for the remainder of the contract.

I was also told that the BOT refused to approve a contract extension for Anderson when it came up last year. Yuachek apparently told Steinmetz that it would hurt recruiting not to approve it and that the contract extension had nothing to do with how much he's paid if he's fired for convenience. So it was approved.

This is a non story. He got a contract extension for recruiting purposes. If they like the job he's doing he'll stay. If not he won't. But these January freakouts are pointless as we saw last year.

HognitiveDissonance

Standard operating procedure.

As Frank Broyles said, he always supported a coach publicly, regardless of how he felt in private. Otherwise, if there is any public doubt about a coach's situation, the other schools will kill you with it with recruiting.

We don't really have any idea how the powers that be feel about the coach, whether good or bad.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

MountieDawg

It really means nothing... The buyout didn't change from $1 million it just lets him tell recruits he has a contract for the next 4 years.
SEC!

Little Lady Back

Congrats to Coach Anderson! He had a tremendous job ahead of him when he became the head coach here and has brought stability and steady improvement to the basketball program.  I am really liking the direction and leadership of the new ad and university so far. Go Hogs!   
#NolanRichardsonCourt

k.c.hawg

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 29, 2018, 09:06:39 pm
It really means nothing... The buyout didn't change from $1 million it just lets him tell recruits he has a contract for the next 4 years.

Nope, once again I think everyone has it wrong again. The contract is out and it shows a million dollars per year to be paid on a "cumulative" basis. So anyone that thinks the contract is a gesture for recruiting is wrong. CMA got the extension and got $2m more buyout money from this extension. It's still chump change compared to CBB buyout but the contract more than proves it was not a baseless gesture to help in recruiting.

Page 3 and page 4 show the termination amounts. The link takes you to page 3 and click on the icon at the top for page 4.Notice the paragraph below the 11th year. The "foregoing amounts shall be paid on a cumulative basis", it doesn't take a contract lawyer to figure that one out. Happy for coach because recruits will know there is a real commitment to CMA.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/andersoncontract/#3
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 28, 2018, 04:54:46 pm
I double checked this last night at the basketball game with several members of the athletic department staff. It's a flat one million dollar buyout now or at any point for the remainder of the contract.

I was also told that the BOT refused to approve a contract extension for Anderson when it came up last year. Yuachek apparently told Steinmetz that it would hurt recruiting not to approve it and that the contract extension had nothing to do with how much he's paid if he's fired for convenience. So it was approved.

This is a non story. He got a contract extension for recruiting purposes. If they like the job he's doing he'll stay. If not he won't. But these January freakouts are pointless as we saw last year.

Mike I really appreciate your reporting and contributions on here but I'm beginning to think people at the U of A either deceive intentionally or don't understand the contracts their superiors sign off on.

Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 30, 2018, 02:40:51 pm
Nope, once again I think everyone has it wrong again. The contract is out and it shows a million dollars per year to be paid on a "cumulative" basis. So anyone that thinks the contract is a gesture for recruiting is wrong. CMA got the extension and got $2m more buyout money from this extension. It's still chump change compared to CBB buyout but the contract more than proves it was not a baseless gesture to help in recruiting.

Page 3 and page 4 show the termination amounts. The link takes you to page 3 and click on the icon at the top for page 4.Notice the paragraph below the 11th year. The "foregoing amounts shall be paid on a cumulative basis", it doesn't take a contract lawyer to figure that one out. Happy for coach because recruits will know there is a real commitment to CMA.

And it was all put in motion by Jeff Long, which all makes sense...

FineAsSwine

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 30, 2018, 02:48:20 pm
Mike I really appreciate your reporting and contributions on here but I'm beginning to think people at the U of A either deceive intentionally or don't understand the contracts their superiors sign off on.

Thanks for clearing that up because I was reading all kinds of stuff on here.
Hogs up! Covid down!

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Cargill A. BullHog

I sure hope Coach A can weather this storm.  He's doing his best to coach these young men, its just that some of them have a "me first" attitude and thats hard for a coach to deal with.  He'll do better with younger players, and thats what we get next year
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

Kevin

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on February 01, 2018, 11:19:42 am
I sure hope Coach A can weather this storm.  He's doing his best to coach these young men, its just that some of them have a "me first" attitude and thats hard for a coach to deal with.  He'll do better with younger players, and thats what we get next year

so the hogs pay millions, so the guy can do his best.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22