Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anderson extended two years to 2022

Started by phadedhawg, January 26, 2018, 05:27:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgmasta on January 26, 2018, 08:05:18 pm
And I think that's part of the problem people don't realize. There may never be another Nolan, same with there will never be another Jordan, Richard Petty, Muhammad Ali etc. he was a once in a lifetime kind of guy.

Agreed.  I did not expect Nolan, part 2. I like to think my expectations for Mike's tenure were/are realistic. In 6 years I would've assumed 4 NCAA appearances. I would've assumed we'd have been ranked a bit more. 1 sweet 16 appearance. I hope he gets it done. I was one of those pulling hard for the UA to hire him. Thus far he's fallen short of what I believed to be realistic expectations.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

AirWarren

Quote from: Cale on January 26, 2018, 05:58:49 pm
Why would we do that mid season? Also. Really?

He is 14-6.

Coming off a good season last year.
Program is stable.

Kudos UAF.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 26, 2018, 07:13:49 pm
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-extends-contract-basketball-coach-mike-anderson/amp

Let the haters hate! Hahahahahahaha

He's gonna be here for awhile. Either get on board or gtfo.

Mike is a good coach but hasn't proven to be a great coach. A two year extension is not that long of a time frame and perhaps necessary for recruiting. However it is somewhat questionable in light of only 2 NCAA appearances in 6 full years as the Hog coach. I thought the new practice facility would need to be in place for a couple of years to give him the benefit of the doubt from his earlier years. After this year then no more benefit of the doubt from me. Then it is all about making the tourney and good runs in it for me to be happy with him. He is the coach I really want to succeed though.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

forrest city joe

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 26, 2018, 07:25:16 pm
The contract was started last Spring under Long and done in November before Yurachek was hired. 
don't care. i am just happy Mike got extended again.so whoever did it props to them.and i still like the new A.D.seems like a good man.im going to give him a chance.this has been another good day for razorback basketball.GO HOGS.

Hogindasticks

WTH are these guys thinking?  This guy can't coach his own way out of a shoe box.   OMG...will I ever be able to watch Hog basketball again without puking???? :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

hobhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 26, 2018, 06:52:46 pm
I am loving our new A.D. yurachek so far.love this decision by the people in charge at the university of Arkansas.

He had nothing to do with it.

Long was responsible. And was fired.

GA reddiehog

Glad to see the details on this.  Now I know the new AD had nothing to do with it. Another screw up by Jeff Long.  Mike Anderson needs to be gone or get a new staff that can coach.  Sure no coaching going on now.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: AP85 on January 26, 2018, 08:26:47 pm
He is 14-6.

Coming off a good season last year.
Program is stable.

Kudos UAF.

Mike Anderson has become a middle of the road coach in the SEC.

Think about that for a minute, while considering it's a football conference

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on January 26, 2018, 10:37:08 pm
Mike Anderson has become a middle of the road coach in the SEC.

Think about that for a minute, while considering it's a football conference
he has been in the freaking SEC championship game in 2 out of the last 3 years. How is that middle of the road?
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Porked Tongue

pigture perfect

I've been saying, Mike isn't going anywhere soon. To bad that the Hogs won't either. I think Mike actually works better and harder when he's pushed a bit. He's fairly lazy in recruiting and adjustments in game otherwise.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

forrest city joe

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 26, 2018, 10:42:58 pm
he has been in the freaking SEC championship game in 2 out of the last 3 years. How is that middle of the road?
Will you please stop letting facts get in the way of these haters.Mike is going to be the coach here no matter if they like it or not.I LOVE IT!

forrest city joe

Quote from: Porked Tongue on January 26, 2018, 11:01:09 pm
100% disagree with this extension.
Matters not,because you have no say so.you are just another hater.Bud Walton keeps selling out for a reason.

swineology

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 26, 2018, 07:49:28 pm
Don't be confused by Bielema's huge buyout. Anderson's buyout is $ 1 million. Period. The same as with the old contract. You need a 5 year contract in place to recruit. That's all this is.

I've said before, regardless of how this season turns out it's unlikely that Yurachek would fire Anderson in the same academic year that the AD and head football coach were fired. But the school is not going to be held hostage by a huge buyout. It doesn't happen that way with most basketball coaches.

So would what a check fire him next year when they win 16 games?

HogHomer

Quote from: swineology on January 26, 2018, 11:44:12 pm
So would what a check fire him next year when they win 16 games?
Probably give him another raise seeing as he would take us to a 4th tourney appearance in 5 years. See it's easy to make s*** up

LZH

I am so happy about this. Woo hoo! Actually, HY should have given him a $1M raise just because Mike is 'our guy' and we all wanna see him get as rich as possible without really having to work too hard. And another great positive to come out of this is, we won't have to ask our kids to play any extra games at the end of the season. That gives them more free time, and what kid doesn't love more free time? Boy, Mike really knows how to look out for his players. It's a win-win!

Btw, if we have any highlights over the next few years, would one of y'all save a clip so I can watch it after I finish with my Netflix movie? Thanks.

20gauge

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 26, 2018, 10:42:58 pm
Because more than that matters and you would figure after 6.5 years another SEC banner would have been hanging if he was as good as you guys think.

PharmacistHog

It doesn't change anything. His buyout didn't change. They do the extension simply to help with recruiting. Doesn't mean he can't be fired when he needs to be.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

raz1965

Glad to see the extension, I know that the basketball program was stuck in the mud when Mike took over, a new coach had to change the culture an it was difficult to convince recruits why Arkansas was a good choice for basketball. This outlook has now changed which will be the domino effect, players win games, great coaches have great players. Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program, Mike can coach an when above average talent at at all positions arrive on campus this program will make the next step, an  there is no doubt  steps that have been taken on an off the court over the last few years in the right direction. A puzzle can only be put together when all the pieces are on the table, thus far the Razorbacks have been short in different areas on different teams. With this vote of confidence from the BOT, going forward bigger things should be expected. Woo pig . 

The_Iceman

Mike is in year 7. Meanwhile at LSU there is Will Wade, who kicked Mike's @$$ this year in Bud Walton, is killing it in year 1 and will be adding this class to Waters:

The OTR

I'm just glad Joe is happy and has a thread to gloat about here and let us know that he loves it. 

I think Joe loves mike Anderson more than I love talking about skunk apes. 

TNhawgfan

One million buyout is nothing. He doesn't make the tournament this year, his seat is red hot next year
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

TNhawgfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 27, 2018, 08:18:46 am
Mike is in year 7. Meanwhile at LSU there is Will Wade, who kicked Mike's @$$ this year in Bud Walton, is killing it in year 1 and will be adding this class to Waters:
He was a great find for the corn dogs
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

The NewEra

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 26, 2018, 06:58:04 pm
I love it. now i hope you fire Anderson haters will shut up and support our players and coaches.Mike is going to be here for even more years,unless he leaves on his own.

Joe, this contract doesn't change much.  The buyout is still $1MM.  It does give Anderson the ability to show recruits the PTB have confidence in him, but he still needs to get this team to the tournament and start going even deeper.

You can pump your chest all you want to, but the same concerns are still with us as well as the same hopes that he does what's needed to advance this program every year.  You aren't going to be able to silence those of us who question Anderson's results.  Only Anderson can do that, and that's exactly what he's being paid to do.  Silence the critics and get us deep into the NCAA tournament each and every year.

hobhog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 27, 2018, 08:36:51 am
One million buyout is nothing. He doesn't make the tournament this year, his seat is red hot next year

To be clear, is that $1million PER YEAR LEFT or just $1 million at any time?

The NewEra

Quote from: hobhog on January 27, 2018, 09:25:21 am
To be clear, is that $1million PER YEAR LEFT or just $1 million at any time?

It's a flat $1MM buyout.

There's no way of knowing for sure, but I would guess the original deal Long was working on had a much higher buyout for Anderson and Yurachek ammended it to the $1MM, making it a more workable number.  Long had a tendency to try and make his coaches unfireable.  He did the same with his own contract.

hobhog

Quote from: The NewEra on January 27, 2018, 09:45:10 am
It's a flat $1MM buyout.

There's no way of knowing for sure, but I would guess the original deal Long was working on had a much higher buyout for Anderson and Yurachek ammended it to the $1MM, making it a more workable number.  Long had a tendency to try and make his coaches unfireable.  He did the same with his own contract.

Don't think Yurachek had anything to do with this. It was done before he arrived and doubt MA is dumb enough to let some one change it after fact.

Regardless, if just flat $1MM then that's not much security. Appearances look good because 5 year deal but that buyout is very doable.

raz1965

I do not believe Mike's seat is unusually hot at this time for a coach, an I do believe Mike will take this program to another level.  I also believe that his seat can become hot rather quickly going into year 8 if expectation are not met, which is fair to say. I prefer to stay positive, as recruiting has picked up, I  think results on the courts will racket up also. Mike understands his expectations, but there is little need to post negativity about the program,  the professional's are welll aware of expectations an would know if an when the time was to make a change . It does appear that some get giddy with the thought of Mike failing . My hope is the Razorbacks become a top 5 program, however I would suppose a level somwhat above average should be the measuring stick for keeping a coach in place. To sustain a program that has been down for decades is a difficult task, but it appears the Razorbacks are headed in the right direction. I personally believe this team could make a deep tourney run an next year's team will be a improved version, with more talent on front line, younger but talented guards as well. I have expectations but prefer to stay positive ,as does Mike. The strength of schedule has made this team appear to the eye as being less than last year's team, but in reality , this team is better. A top 25 rpi is a telling story.  The administration on the hill evaluated the program an the results was support for Mike, with level headed reason an without bias agendas.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: raz1965 on January 27, 2018, 09:49:52 am
I do not believe Mike's seat is unusually hot at this time for a coach, an I do believe Mike will take this program to another level.  I also believe that his seat can become hot rather quickly going into year 8 if expectation are not met, which is fair to say. I prefer to stay positive, as recruiting has picked up, I  think results on the courts will racket up also. Mike understands his expectations, but there is little need to post negativity about the program,  the professional's are welll aware of expectations an would know if an when the time was to make a change . It does appear that some get giddy with the thought of Mike failing . My hope is the Razorbacks become a top 5 program, however I would suppose a level somwhat above average should be the measuring stick for keeping a coach in place. To sustain a program that has been down for decades is a difficult task, but it appears the Razorbacks are headed in the right direction. I personally believe this team could make a deep tourney run an next year's team will be a improved version, with more talent on front line, younger but talented guards as well. I have expectations but prefer to stay positive ,as does Mike. The strength of schedule has made this team appear to the eye as being less than last year's team, but in reality , this team is better. A top 25 rpi is a telling story.  The administration on the hill evaluated the program an the results was support for Mike, with level headed reason an without bias agendas.

anD
Millennials suck...

Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Jason Carroll on January 26, 2018, 05:41:38 pm
Key number from the contract is his buyout remains at $1 million both ways between Anderson and the University. 

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 26, 2018, 07:49:28 pm
Don't be confused by Bielema's huge buyout. Anderson's buyout is $ 1 million. Period. The same as with the old contract. You need a 5 year contract in place to recruit. That's all this is.

I've said before, regardless of how this season turns out it's unlikely that Yurachek would fire Anderson in the same academic year that the AD and head football coach were fired. But the school is not going to be held hostage by a huge buyout. It doesn't happen that way with most basketball coaches.

The contract that was signed that extended him through 2020 stipulates that the buyout is $1 million year paid on a cumulative basis. If he would have been fired at the end of this season he would have been owed a $1 million for 18/19 and 19/20. Odds are they put the same language in for 20/21 and 20/22. So at this point the buyout would be $4 million.....not $1 million. Let's not have another contract gate.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/public/Mike-Anderson-Extension.pdf
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

PharmacistHog

He wasn't going to be fired this year regardless. If he doesnt make the tournament this year or next he's gone. Its as simple as that.
Millennials suck...

RazorWhacker

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 26, 2018, 11:26:53 pm
Matters not,because you have no say so.you are just another hater.Bud Walton keeps selling out for a reason.

Serious question for you, Joe:

What are your expectations for the program this year and the next 3 years? How would you define "under-performing" for Mike to a point you'd be ready for a change?

Breems

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 27, 2018, 08:18:46 am

I'll give you the recruiting class and win @Bud Walton, but is he really killing it in year 1?

They're 12-7/3-4 (worse than us) against the #63 SOS (ours ranks #29). They've lost 3 of their last 4, including home losses to Alabama and Georgia and a loss @Vanderbilt, the worst team in the league. An average UK team also beat them at home. You probably would've fired Wade at least 5 times this season.

They're definitely on the upswing compared to last year, but that wasn't hard to achieve.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Breems

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2018, 10:12:57 am
I'll give you the recruiting class and win @Bud Walton, but is he really killing it in year 1?

They're 12-7/3-4 (worse than us) against the #63 SOS (ours ranks #29). They've lost 3 of their last 4, including home losses to Alabama and Georgia and a loss @Vanderbilt, the worst team in the league. An average UK team also beat them at home. You probably would've fired Wade at least 5 times this season.

They're definitely on the upswing compared to last year, but that wasn't hard to achieve.

Yeah,  you could see him typing "Worthless Wade" about every other post....

orvillesghost

Done for recruiting purposes, doesn't change anything at all.

He probably won't be but if he doesn't win the SEC regular season title or make it past the Round of 32 in the NCAA, he should be let go.

What other school would tolerate never doing one of the above seven years in? It is an amazing thing that so many around here seem willing to.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: orvillesghost on January 27, 2018, 10:19:14 am
if he doesn't win the SEC regular season title or make it past the Round of 32 in the NCAA, he should be let go.

What other school would tolerate never doing one of the above seven years in?

take a guess how many...

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: The NewEra on January 27, 2018, 09:45:10 am
It's a flat $1MM buyout.

yall just said Yurachek didn't have anything to do with it? But now y'all do? Only works if it fits yalls agenda
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 27, 2018, 10:22:28 am
take a guess how many...
i figure like almost every team in the SEC besides Kentucky and Florida

3kgthog

It matters not. He can still be canned next season when we don't make any postseason tournament.

I'll never understand wanting to keep a guy so badly that some are willing to torpedo the entire program to do it. Why don't some of you have higher expectations for this program? This should be a top 15 program every season. The state produces enough talent to support that. Yet, you're happy (one might say elated) if we just make the Dance but never get out of the first weekend.

That wouldn't be good enough for you in football or baseball after seven years, so why the double standard?

porkinsons disease

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 27, 2018, 10:42:41 am
It matters not. He can still be canned next season when we don't make any postseason tournament.

I'll never understand wanting to keep a guy so badly that some are willing to torpedo the entire program to do it. Why don't some of you have higher expectations for this program? This should be a top 15 program every season. The state produces enough talent to support that. Yet, you're happy (one might say elated) if we just make the Dance but never get out of the first weekend.

That wouldn't be good enough for you in football or baseball after seven years, so why the double standard?
Cause he sat next to Nolan. Cause he has the #27 class coming in. Cause we were a dumpster fire when he got here. Cause he is better than Pelphrey. Cause we could do worse. Cause he seems like a good man. Cause he does things the right way. Cause he would have made the tourney a 3rd time if we had not been screwed. Cause we would have been sweet 16 twice in 6 years if we had not got a bad matchup. Those damn refs. Portis and Qualls leaving early caught everyone off guard. Cause it's a feel good nostalgic hire that rights a wrong. Anything else?
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

cardsNhogs

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on January 26, 2018, 05:54:40 pm
The Board of Trustees never learns...

They just love giving out money.
It is monopoly money to them. Pocket change at best. Just raise cost of attending the school and/or raise ticket prices and/or required RF donation to buy tickets and more $ will flow in.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

k.c.hawg

The good thing for Mike is, if they do can him next year he walks with $3m instead of $1m.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Breems

Yet, you're happy (one might say elated) if we just make the Dance but never get out of the first weekend.

We are getting out of the first weekend. Last year was the closest we'd been to a Sweet Sixteen in ~20 years. Not an ideal time to reset your basketball program.

hobhog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 27, 2018, 10:29:59 am
yall just said Yurachek didn't have anything to do with it? But now y'all do? Only works if it fits yalls agenda

Only seen FCJ and one other person make this error. Not sure how you figure agenda is behind it, unless you have one.

hobhog

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2018, 11:29:34 am
We are getting out of the first weekend. Last year was the closest we'd been to a Sweet Sixteen in ~20 years. Not an ideal time to reset your basketball program.

Let's just hope he keeps winning this year and it's a moot point.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: hobhog on January 27, 2018, 11:40:35 am
Let's just hope he keeps winning this year and it's a moot point.

Exactly!
Millennials suck...

cram224

No lawyer here, but does the contract say he can be fired and the UofA only has to pay the buyout of $1M or is that plus the terms of what's left at time of termination?