Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thoughts on Jabe Burgess? (Tulsa lean)

Started by whosiskid, November 08, 2012, 07:21:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

whosiskid

What are people thinking about Jabe Burgess? My understanding is that he is a very good QB, possibly the best class of 2014 QB out of the state. But is there room for him on the Hogs' roster?

Going into next fall we'll have (not speculating who might get redshirted and assuming Brandon Mitchell stays at WR):

Brandon Allen (So.)
Taylor Reed (So.)
Austin Allen (Fr.)
Tyler Cogswell (Fr.)
Rafe Peavey (2014 Commit)

You have to figure that the #1 target for the team in 2015 will be Ty Storey, who some are speculating might be the #1 QB in the country.

Given Rafe Peavey's commitment, which seems to be firm like granite, it is hard for me to see that we'd have room for someone as good as Burgess. Especially given that the two Allens, Reed, Cogswell, and Peavey are all superb prospects.

I don't see any of that crew being effected by a coaching change, except possibly Tyler Cogswell if we get a coach who requires the QB to run. Cogswell might have the strongest arm of any of our QBs, but a runner he is not.

Am I seeing this correctly? Or does anyone think that we offer Burgess anyway? I'd say in most years - maybe 20 of the past 25? - he might have been someone we would have pursued aggressively. But I just can't see that we would need six QBs (with Storey the next year) who all had the potential to be Division One starting QBs.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

ricepig

redswarmrising

whosiskid

Quote from: redswarmrising on November 09, 2012, 01:28:09 am
who's Taylor Reed?  ???

Taylor Reed started at University of Memphis as a true freshman after a successful HS career at El Dorado (where his brother is now also doing very well). He announced his transfer to Fayetteville last spring and will be eligible for spring training. Previously everyone assumed that Brandon Allen would simply step into the starting job, but Taylor could provide some competition. He is a lefty, btw.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Tim Harris

Tim Harris

Quote from: whosiskid on November 09, 2012, 06:55:11 am
He is a lefty, btw.

When is the last time we had a lefty QB?   I don't just mean on the roster but one that actually played.

Tim Harris

It is an interesting question about do we offer another QB.  It is a long ways between now and NSD 2014 so I would say if he is deserving he will end up with an offer.  I do feel we will only take 1 QB and that will be Rafe.

One thing I was thinking about though is lets say Allen or Cogswell choose to look elsewhere.  The original need to recruit 2 QBs was caused by not signing one last year.  Since Reed has transferred in I wonder if we would still feel the need to sign 2 this year.  I'm not saying you tell either to look around.  This is more of a what-if scenario.

jseinfeld50

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 09, 2012, 06:57:19 am
When is the last time we had a lefty QB?   I don't just mean on the roster but one that actually played.

Barry Lunney Jr. was a southpaw

whosiskid

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 09, 2012, 07:22:52 am
It is an interesting question about do we offer another QB.  It is a long ways between now and NSD 2014 so I would say if he is deserving he will end up with an offer.  I do feel we will only take 1 QB and that will be Rafe.

One thing I was thinking about though is lets say Allen or Cogswell choose to look elsewhere.  The original need to recruit 2 QBs was caused by not signing one last year.  Since Reed has transferred in I wonder if we would still feel the need to sign 2 this year.  I'm not saying you tell either to look around.  This is more of a what-if scenario.

That would be a tough call though. Austin would be the more versatile and if we got a coach who liked the veer or spread he might be the one to keep. On the other hand, Cogswell would have the strongest arm on the team. If we go with a pure pro set, he might have the most upside. Plus he is completely passionate about becoming a Razorback something we don't see a whole lot of right now.

I do think there is no way in the world you want to lose either Rafe Peavey or Ty Storey.

But these are good problems to have. Just wish we had the same problem with offensive and defensive tackles.