Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Brohm

Started by wonderboys, October 12, 2017, 03:05:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

wonderboys

could Long actually hire a BP guy?

The_Iceman

Would be an excellent hire if he did. Should be in the Top 5 of everyone's list on here, and hopefully Jeff's.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Need to clarify something about Brohm being a Petrino guy.

1.  He never played for Petrino.
2.  They worked together for 4 seasons while BP was the HC at Louisville.
3.  When BP left Louisville to take the Falcons job Brohm stayed at Louisville.

So I'm not sure how much of a "Petrino" guy he is.  I'm sure he studied BP's coaching philosophy and concepts which is a good thing.  Beyond that I doubt it's a big deal.  It's not like they had a decade or more of working together.

To compare and contrast for example I would call Rhett Lashlee a "Gus" guy.  I'm not saying it's bad or good but just an example of one person being another's "guy".

Lashlee played for Gus in high school.  Coached under Gus at Springdale.  Was a GA with Gus at UofA and Auburn.  Coached with him for one year at Astate and 4 years at Auburn.  So the vast majority of his coaching career was under GM's tutelage. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Bebop

factchecker

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 12, 2017, 03:15:01 pm
To compare and contrast for example I would call Rhett Lashlee a "Gus" guy.  I'm not saying it's bad or good but just an example of one person being another's "guy".

Lashlee played for Gus in high school.  Coached under Gus at Springdale.  Was a GA with Gus at UofA and Auburn.  Coached with him for one year at Astate and 4 years at Auburn.  So the vast majority of his coaching career was under GM's tutelage.

You are correct.  Lashlee is more of a Gus guy than Brohm a Petrino guy.

I think that is part of the reason why Rhett left for UCONN.  He wanted to create an identity for himself.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

wonderboys

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 12, 2017, 03:15:01 pm
Need to clarify something about Brohm being a Petrino guy.

1.  He never played for Petrino.
2.  They worked together for 4 seasons while BP was the HC at Louisville.
3.  When BP left Louisville to take the Falcons job Brohm stayed at Louisville.

So I'm not sure how much of a "Petrino" guy he is.  I'm sure he studied BP's coaching philosophy and concepts which is a good thing.  Beyond that I doubt it's a big deal.  It's not like they had a decade or more of working together.

Did he not coach with him at wku as OC?   Then take over the job when BP left?   also,  i guess his brother Brian was a BP guy at UL -

ur

Brohm is a schnellenberger  guy. That was his coach and who he talks about more than BP. Brohm would not come here if Long is here. No way. But we don't have to worry about that.

Hoggie17

Jeff Brohm is the best guy we could get, Long should not let his personal attitude stand in his way when it comes to hiring a HC that would be unprofessional. 

hawgon

Quote from: wonderboys on October 12, 2017, 03:05:22 pm
could Long actually hire a BP guy?

The better question is probably if a BP guy would work for Long.

hoghearted

Quote from: ur on October 12, 2017, 03:21:09 pm
Brohm is a schnellenberger  guy. That was his coach and who he talks about more than BP. Brohm would not come here if Long is here. No way. But we don't have to worry about that.

why would that be? ???
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

wonderboys

Quote from: hawgon on October 12, 2017, 03:23:29 pm
The better question is probably if a BP guy would work for Long.
good question......

onebadrubi

Quote from: ur on October 12, 2017, 03:21:09 pm

You speak like you know, which I don't think you do.  BP liked it here, I doubt he has much negative to really say about the program while he was here.  Long isn't hiring a Petrino, he's hiring a man that once worked underneath him.   Doesn't make him a bad person

PLHawg

Would sure be fun to have a dynamic offense again.  Sigh.

piglet mignon

Purdue Boilermakers
3rd BTEN FBS | 3-2
Passing Yards
80th
265.2 PYPG
Rushing Yards
168th
136.2 RYPG
Total Yards Per Game
127th
401 TYPG

ur

I don't see BP recommending anyone to work under Long. I do think that BP would highly recommend the Arkansas job but under a different AD. BP would be the first person that Brohm would call about the Arkansas job. Who knows, Brohm may love the interview with Long. But I'm not too worried abut that. We better get a head start on him because I think Tenn and others are going to make a hard push for him. As JFB would say, He has the "it" factor.

MountainHomeHogger

No, you cannot have Jeff Brohm!! As a Purdue alumnus down here in Arkansas I need him to stay there and keep bringing that program back!

onebadrubi

Quote from: ur on October 12, 2017, 03:39:58 pm
I don't see BP recommending anyone to work under Long. I do think that BP would highly recommend the Arkansas job but under a different AD. BP would be the first person that Brohm would call about the Arkansas job. Who knows, Brohm may love the interview with Long. But I'm not too worried abut that. We better get a head start on him because I think Tenn and others are going to make a hard push for him. As JFB would say, He has the "it" factor.

My bet is tenner makes a call to Bobby, and they can't beat saban lite at uga

TX HOG

How is he as a recruiter? The other Names being floated around seem to be very good recruiters

ur

Quote from: MountainHomeHogger on October 12, 2017, 03:44:53 pm
No, you cannot have Jeff Brohm!! As a Purdue alumnus down here in Arkansas I need him to stay there and keep bringing that program back!
Dude, you just got lights. What the heck. You did make a Grand Slam hire though. If we don't get him, I hope he stays there and I will become a purdue fan, second to the hogs.

Wildhog

Quote from: TX HOG on October 12, 2017, 03:46:30 pm
How is he as a recruiter? The other Names being floated around seem to be very good recruiters

Well, he'd have to hire some assistants that can recruit.  Besides, there's not going to be a huge variance in recruiting at Arkansas no matter who the coach is.  We have to hire a guy that can get the most out of the talent that he signs.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

TX HOG

Quote from: Wildhog on October 12, 2017, 03:50:17 pm
Well, he'd have to hire some assistants that can recruit.  Besides, there's not going to be a huge variance in recruiting at Arkansas no matter who the coach is.  We have to hire a guy that can get the most out of the talent that he signs.

Exactly, the next staff will have to do just as good or better. We definitely can't go backwards in recruiting. I think the potential is there to do a bit better in recruiting

Wildhog

Quote from: TX HOG on October 12, 2017, 03:52:19 pm
Exactly, the next staff will have to do just as good or better. We definitely can't go backwards in recruiting. I think the potential is there to do a bit better in recruiting

For sure.  But you can sign all the four-stars in the world and it doesn't matter a lick if you can't coach 'em. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

TX HOG

Quote from: Wildhog on October 12, 2017, 03:53:45 pm
For sure.  But you can sign all the four-stars in the world and it doesn't matter a lick if you can't coach 'em. 

Absolutely! I just hope he's not a horrible recruiter. LOL

Wildhog

Quote from: TX HOG on October 12, 2017, 03:55:09 pm
Absolutely! I just hope he's not a horrible recruiter. LOL

That's what assistants are for.
1909/1964/1965/1977

TX HOG

Quote from: Wildhog on October 12, 2017, 04:01:47 pm
That's what assistants are for.

So I'm assuming it's not his strong suit. Lol

Wildhog

Quote from: TX HOG on October 12, 2017, 04:10:52 pm
So I’m assuming it’s not his strong suit. Lol

Oh, I'm not saying that.  I honestly don't know.  I'll have to look into it.

I just know that you don't hire a HC because he's a good recruiter, because he's not going to be doing most of the recruiting.  You DO want a HC that will hire assistants that are good recruiters, though.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ur

October 12, 2017, 04:13:01 pm #26 Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 11:05:02 pm by ur
Hard to tell because he has been in some tough places to recruit. One thing he has done is brought in some transfers that helped immediately. He is an excellent communicator so I don't see him having a problem recruiting.

Northern Illinois offensive lineman Shane Evans announced he's transferring to join Brohm's program. Evans, who graduated from NIU, has two years of eligibility remaining and can play immediately.  Evans is the fifth known graduate transfer to join the Boilermakers since Brohm took over, Rhode Island transfer David Steinmetz, who is expected to play offensive tackle, announced in May he's transferring to Purdue.
Other graduate transfers: Western Kentucky linebacker T.J. McCollum enrolled in January and participated in spring practice; Notre Dame receiver Corey Holmes and Wake Forest defensive back Josh Okonye are expected to arrive on campus this summer.

UPDATE: Out of this group, two starting OL, starting LB and DB, rotating WR.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: wonderboys on October 12, 2017, 03:20:56 pm
Did he not coach with him at wku as OC?   Then take over the job when BP left?   also,  i guess his brother Brian was a BP guy at UL -

Sorry yes did coach that 10 months that BP rented at WKU.  He has been in BP circles indirectly as well. Coached with Paul at Illinois, and with Garrick McGee at UAB. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ricepig

Quote from: ur on October 12, 2017, 04:13:01 pm
Hard to tell because he has been in some tough places to recruit. One thing he has done is brought in some transfers that helped immediately. He is an excellent communicator so I don't see him having a problem recruiting.

You might as well say we're getting Gruden, I don't see anyway he comes.

Tusks

Quote from: ricepig on October 12, 2017, 04:21:33 pm

Norvell
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ur

Quote from: ricepig on October 12, 2017, 04:21:33 pm
HaHa, I think Purdue is just a stop for him. Unless he is wanting and waiting for the Louisville job, we have a chance. Let him help select the AD. Heck if Long could say he has Brohm coming, I would say keep Long.

TX HOG

Quote from: Wildhog on October 12, 2017, 04:12:43 pm
Oh, I'm not saying that.  I honestly don't know.  I'll have to look into it.

I just know that you don't hire a HC because he's a good recruiter, because he's not going to be doing most of the recruiting.  You DO want a HC that will hire assistants that are good recruiters, though.

I agree

ricepig

Quote from: ur on October 12, 2017, 04:26:39 pm
HaHa, I think Purdue is just a stop for him. Unless he is wanting and waiting for the Louisville job, we have a chance. Let him help select the AD. Heck if Long could say he has Brohm coming, I would say keep Long.

Lots of football to be played out between now and Dec, and not just us. If we choose a coach now, what are we going to do during the "silly season"?

Cinco de Hogo

Couldn't we just hire Purdue's AD?  I think that's how things get done these days.

I think I was the first one to mention Brohm's name on this board but it's a process of discovery.   For instance I heard today that Western Kentucky isn't very good this year.  So I would want to know why etc etc...

Hogwild

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 12, 2017, 05:25:54 pm
Couldn't we just hire Purdue's AD?  I think that's how things get done these days.

Mike Bobinski-

Bobinski has 30 years of athletic management experience, with two decades of that as an athletic director. He graduated from Notre Dame in 1979 where he played baseball before becoming a certified public accountant. After working for five years with the Walt Disney Company and large accounting firms, he started his athletic administration career at Notre Dame in 1984.

Bobinski has held the same position(athletic director) at the Georgia Institute of Technology(GA Tech) since 2013, as well as the University of Akron and Xavier University previously.

ur

Quote from: Hogwild on October 13, 2017, 08:50:34 am
Mike Bobinski-

Bobinski has 30 years of athletic management experience, with two decades of that as an athletic director. He graduated from Notre Dame in 1979 where he played baseball before becoming a certified public accountant. After working for five years with the Walt Disney Company and large accounting firms, he started his athletic administration career at Notre Dame in 1984.

Bobinski has held the same position(athletic director) at the Georgia Institute of Technology(GA Tech) since 2013, as well as the University of Akron and Xavier University previously.

I would take him if it would deliver Brohm. He wasn't popular at Ga Tech with some there including the football coach. I would tell Brohm he could help hire the AD. If they don't work out, fire them both.

Großer Kriegschwein

When I think of a good recruiter, I think Butch Davis at Miami.

While under sanctions he had recruiting classes of 12-15 player's. With those numbers he had to evaluate talent, character, leadership, and desire to do whatever has to be done to win. When the sanctions were over and they could recruit up to their 85 limit they had the leaders on both sides of the ball that were the nucleus of one of the greatest teams in college football history. Ed Reed, Santana Moss, Bryant McKinney, Ken Dorsey, Andre Johnson, Clinton Portis, Reggie Wayne, Najeh Davenport.

Butch had his back against the wall with limited numbers, put in the actual time to evaluate players and hit home run after home run, not on Signing Day, but on the Saturday, on the field when it actually mattered. Players like Ed Reed weren't from Miami, he was from New Orleans.

He got Santana Moss to walk-on to the football program on a track scholarship.

I'm not advocating the hiring of Butch Davis, but his recruiting and evaluation system is something to be emulated.

Bret talks the talk about evaluation of talent in the walk-on program, but it hasn't paid off to the degree he needs in order to actually benefit from it.
This is my non-signature signature.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 13, 2017, 09:25:56 am
yep.

I think Deborah Norville is getting a little  old, she's my age.......

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ricepig on October 13, 2017, 09:31:35 am
I think Deborah Norville is getting a little  old, she's my age.......

Yeah but she i way hawter than you in a ball dress.
This is my non-signature signature.

The real Hogules

Quote from: ricepig on October 12, 2017, 04:30:35 pm
Lots of football to be played out between now and Dec, and not just us. If we choose a coach now, what are we going to do during the "silly season"?

Follow recruiting?
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

HoggyCat

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 12, 2017, 03:07:00 pm
Would be an excellent hire if he did.

So to answer the OP's question.... NO.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

ricepig

Quote from: The real Hogules on October 13, 2017, 09:40:11 am
Follow recruiting?

Well, we were going to sign most of our class in Dec, but that will definitely change now

King Kong

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 13, 2017, 09:20:48 am
When I think of a good recruiter, I think Butch Davis at Miami.

While under sanctions he had recruiting classes of 12-15 player's. With those numbers he had to evaluate talent, character, leadership, and desire to do whatever has to be done to win. When the sanctions were over and they could recruit up to their 85 limit they had the leaders on both sides of the ball that were the nucleus of one of the greatest teams in college football history. Ed Reed, Santana Moss, Bryant McKinney, Ken Dorsey, Andre Johnson, Clinton Portis, Reggie Wayne, Najeh Davenport.

Butch had his back against the wall with limited numbers, put in the actual time to evaluate players and hit home run after home run, not on Signing Day, but on the Saturday, on the field when it actually mattered. Players like Ed Reed weren't from Miami, he was from New Orleans.

He got Santana Moss to walk-on to the football program on a track scholarship.

I'm not advocating the hiring of Butch Davis, but his recruiting and evaluation system is something to be emulated.

Bret talks the talk about evaluation of talent in the walk-on program, but it hasn't paid off to the degree he needs in order to actually benefit from it.

I'd be all about some Butch. He will bring great Asst. and understands the value of recruiting.

I wonder if there could be a Davis/Norvell HC coach in waiting thing.

ur

Purdue is in the red in athletics due to Football even with the big ten money. They just now put up lights in their stadium. The New AD that hired Brohm is a basketball guy that was at Ga Tech and Paul Johnson didn't like him because he wouldn't spend any money on football. I would say that we have a chance to get him.

After practice on Monday, head coach Paul Johnson expressed his displeasure with the state of the team's facilities, his staff's salaries, and other issues as Georgia Tech aims to keep up its competition in major college football's "arms race" — refuting claims made by Bobinski in his Saturday press conference that there had been no complaints or requests regarding those issues.

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2016/8/9/12411794/purdue-hires-mike-bobinski-as-athletic-director

hoglady

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 12, 2017, 04:20:20 pm
Sorry yes did coach that 10 months that BP rented at WKU.  He has been in BP circles indirectly as well. Coached with Paul at Illinois, and with Garrick McGee at UAB. 

He is a disciple of the Petrino offense for sure.
Have no idea how his friendship with Petrino would affect his ability to have Jeff Long as his boss.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ur

Quote from: hoglady on October 13, 2017, 11:08:16 pm
He is a disciple of the Petrino offense for sure.
Have no idea how his friendship with Petrino would affect his ability to have Jeff Long as his boss.
Prob no chance if JL is around but it looks like JL is taking himself out of the picture.

hoglady

He won 2 conference championships at WKU and he's only been at Purdue since January 2017.
Hard to believe the improvement in less than a year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ur

Update on recruits for offense. Defense next week.
https://www.hammerandrails.com/2017/10/13/16465330/purdue-football-what-are-the-new-guys-up-to

ur

Even though he's been there only a year, it looks like they wouldn't be surprised if he left.

Basically, if Purdue surprises everyone, wins the Big Ten this year, and someone else hires Brohm away he owes us $5 million plus the remainder of that $900,000 loan (Drops by 1 million after Dec 5). Of course, at that point, Purdue fans would be ecstatic anyway and it is very likely that whatever school hires him would pay that penalty, so it is a win-win.

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2017/6/15/15812474/jeff-brohm-purdue-contract-bonuses-stipend