Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We got screwed. No way around it.

Started by Randohoggie, March 11, 2018, 05:30:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rhames

Quote from: Randohoggie on March 11, 2018, 05:57:15 pm
More:  we got dinged down to an 9 seed last year because the SEC supposedly sucked.  This year, we have a comparable record and the SEC puts 9 teams in ... yet we are no better than a 7?  It's a crock.

A lot of wrong info here.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 11, 2018, 05:56:57 pm
Yep, we are more likely an 8 seed.

3 of our losses were to probable NIT teams (Mississippi State and LSU).

Our best non-conference win was against a team that limped into the NCAAT with a 2-8 tally down the stretch (Oklahoma).

Losing to NIT teams on the road is not a bad loss. Absolutely zero metics or bracket predictions had us as an 8.

RazorSax

Quote from: Randohoggie on March 11, 2018, 05:57:15 pm
More:  we got dinged down to an 9 seed last year because the SEC supposedly sucked.  This year, we have a comparable record and the SEC puts 9 teams in ... yet we are no better than a 7?  It's a crock.

8 teams. We finished 6th in conference, and we are tied with A&M as the fifth highest seeded team. It's fair.

hawganatic

Do we ever NOT get screwed, according to you guys?

Randohoggie

Quote from: RazorSax on March 11, 2018, 05:59:50 pm
8 teams. We finished 6th in conference, and we are tied with A&M as the fifth highest seeded team. It's fair.

We finished 4th in the conference, leave your bull tournament tie breakers out of it, because everyone does not play the same schedule.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Hog Pharm on March 11, 2018, 05:45:33 pm
Might be bracket rules to separate conference teams and rematches.

That is what I got from this... I'd rather not bplay a team 3 times in one season.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

jry04

Quote from: rhames on March 11, 2018, 05:51:09 pm

Flordia has been so far ahead of us in seeding the last month why did any one think we would jump them? The committee doesn't care about conference tournaments. Sad but true.
They also do not care about overall resumes.

Florida has a lot of quality wins, but they have 5 losses to teams outside of the NCAAT field. They have 2 losses to sub 100 teams. They have an RPI of 46. Florida lost to Vandy and Ole Miss, the two worst teams in the conference.

By comparison, Arkansas has 3 losses to non-NCAAT teams, 0 losses outside of the top 100, RPI of 30, and a better overall record. Also beat Florida on a neutral court just 2 days ago. Arkansas' resume is better in every category except for top 50 wins, and it is barely lacking there. I do not mind the draw, but Florida should be equal at best in the seed line with Arkansas, not better.

Randohoggie

Quote from: jry04 on March 11, 2018, 06:09:10 pm
They also do not care about overall resumes.

Florida has a lot of quality wins, but they have 5 losses to teams outside of the NCAAT field. They have 2 losses to sub 100 teams. They have an RPI of 46. Florida lost to Vandy and Ole Miss, the two worst teams in the conference.

By comparison, Arkansas has 3 losses to non-NCAAT teams, 0 losses outside of the top 100, RPI of 30, and a better overall record. Also beat Florida on a neutral court just 2 days ago. Arkansas' resume is better in every category except for top 50 wins, and it is barely lacking there. I do not mind the draw, but Florida should be equal at best in the seed line with Arkansas, not better.

Agree and it goes double for TCU. who got a 6.

SPAL

Maybe we can ask Texas amu and see if they will switch. Maybe we would rather play Providence 1st and north Carolina 2nd.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Beating Florida meant zero. We gained nothing except sticking it to fla.

Rawker

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 11, 2018, 05:33:30 pm
It would suck playing Texas Tech in Dallas though 2nd round

Are you perhaps a youngster and don't realize that we own Dallas whenever the Hogs play there...SWC tournaments, NCAA games.  Dallas would have been home games for us unless we played...pfff, MAYBE Texas, but prolly not even then.

RazorSax

Quote from: Randohoggie on March 11, 2018, 06:00:48 pm
We finished 4th in the conference, leave your bull tournament tie breakers out of it, because everyone does not play the same schedule.

So if five teams finished with the best record, we would consider them all first place because tie breakers are stupid and none of them played the same schedule? Tiebreakers have to be taken in account...lol

Rawker

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on March 11, 2018, 06:12:22 pm
Beating Florida meant zero. We gained nothing except sticking it to fla.
'

I'm down with that tho.

jry04

Quote from: RazorSax on March 11, 2018, 05:59:50 pm
Clearly irrelevant based on the committee's decisions. Conference ranking does not matter when they have USC finishing 2nd in the Pac-12 with an RPI of 33 being left out, but Arizona State finishing multiple games below .500 and 9th gets in.

I don't mind our matchup though, so I am perfectly fine with being under-seeded.

PharmacistHog

I like our draw to be honest. Hell none of the brackets were gonna be easy. Just win. We nearly beat UNC last year. No reason we can't beat purdue.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

joeyself

I don't care that we are a 7, I can't figure out why there are 3 SEC teams in the East bracket, and only 1 in the Midwest.  If Florida was going to be a 6, it should have flipped places with TCU, putting 2 SEC teams in each region, and eliminating a possible 3rd round clash of conference teams in each region.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

Supermark101

Quote from: hogsanity on March 11, 2018, 05:42:59 pm
NCATT committee considers Hogs one of the top 28 teams in the tourney, how is that a screw job?

Not sure why you quoted me. I never said it was.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 11, 2018, 05:58:44 pm
Losing to NIT teams on the road is not a bad loss. Absolutely zero metics or bracket predictions had us as an 8.

The Committee a lot of times doesn't properly seed teams.

This year they also did a terrible job of which bubble teams to put in and which bubble teams to leave out.

Randohoggie

Quote from: RazorSax on March 11, 2018, 06:13:10 pm
So if five teams finished with the best record, we would consider them all first place because tie breakers are stupid and none of them played the same schedule? Tiebreakers have to be taken in account...lol

There is a reason that they list tied teams as tied in standings.  Because tie breakers are for seedings only.  You know why?  Because they don't all play the same schedule.  If 5 teams tied for the best record, then yes, they would name them all co-champs.  That's how it works.

Rawker

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 11, 2018, 05:58:44 pm

Yeah, that was dumb.  Oh wait, did I come to Hogville looking for prestine logic?

seasonhog

Quote from: mj4president on March 11, 2018, 05:34:46 pm
There would be more Hog fans in Dallas than TT.

True; our NC team went through Dallas.......

More important ....is which of our team show up.

thebignasty

Quote from: PharmacistHog on March 11, 2018, 06:14:00 pm
I like our draw to be honest. Hell none of the brackets were gonna be easy. Just win. We nearly beat UNC last year. No reason we can't beat purdue.

I think this is about as 'easy' a path to the sweet 16 we could get.  Could've landed in a much worse spot, IMO

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 11, 2018, 06:14:54 pm
The Committee a lot of times doesn't properly seed teams.

This year they also did a terrible job of which bubble teams to put in and which bubble teams to leave out.

I don't disagree with that.

However, nothing pointed us a an 8 seed

247Hog

Good grief. Just enjoy the process. It's been one hour and people are already complaining. Get a hobby maybe? Even the people on the show talked about us and how they expect us to be in the sweet sixteen. Have fun and enjoy that we're not talking about the NIT.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

alohawg

Vitale thinks Ok. St. got screwed. He made some good points as to why and why OU had no business getting in.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

rljjr

How they ranked Texas A&M above us is ridiculous. Just lunacy.

thebignasty

Quote from: alohawg on March 11, 2018, 06:26:30 pm
Vitale thinks Ok. St. got screwed. He made some good points as to why and why OU had no business getting in.

I think you have to take into account how teams are playing now, and I agree with him. 

That said, if full body of work or potential ceiling are considerations, Oklahoma edges them on both.

ChicoHog

Jim Nantz. Grant Hill, Bill Raftery ranking regions and have East as the easiest.  I agree.  I think we got a great draw.  to me Villanova has the easiest path of all the number one seeds.  Purdue as a 2 seed is awful high IMO.  UK and AZ are playing welll right now and they will likely play each other in the second round.  Much tougher bracket.  I think this is the easiest draw we have had in the tournament since the glory days of early/mid-90's when we earned our high seeds.  But you have to prove it on the floor. 

Mellon Collie

absolute joke that TCU gets the 6th seed instead of us.

once again committee proves their thumb is directly inserted in their arse.

DeepFreeze

Quote from: my3boneheads on March 11, 2018, 05:46:52 pm
Someone explain the seeding of Oklahoma, A&M, and Alabama.

They all have top 10 NBA prospects.

Scouts need tape.

thebignasty

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 11, 2018, 06:30:13 pm
Jim Nantz. Grant Hill, Bill Raftery ranking regions and have East as the easiest.  I agree.  I think we got a great draw.  to me Villanova has the easiest path of all the number one seeds.  Purdue as a 2 seed is awful high IMO.  UK and AZ are playing welll right now and they will likely play each other in the second round.  Much tougher bracket.  I think this is the easiest draw we have had in the tournament since the glory days of early/mid-90's when we earned our high seeds.  But you have to prove it on the floor.
I don't think Purdue is as good as Tennessee.  Definitely a challenge, but not insurmountable.

alohawg

Quote from: rljjr on March 11, 2018, 06:29:14 pm
How they ranked Texas A&M above us is ridiculous. Just lunacy.

True that
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

98hogs

I like our matchups and I think we can go to the sweet 16

mizzouman

Very tough draw. Butler won't be easy but you should win. Purdue will be tough. You dont match up well with these guys.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: DeepFreeze on March 11, 2018, 06:31:49 pm
They all have top 10 NBA prospects.

Scouts need tape.

Actually the only thing that would make sense

ishankem

I don't see other boards but I bet HV could challenge all others for the most crybabies

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

DeepFreeze

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 11, 2018, 06:37:58 pm
Actually the only thing that would make sense

Honestly, Duke already has a number 1 seed next year before next season even begins.

thebignasty

Quote from: DeepFreeze on March 11, 2018, 06:42:18 pm
Honestly, Duke already has a number 1 seed next year before next season even begins.

heres me sincerely hoping the fbi has something to say about that.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 11, 2018, 05:56:57 pm
Yep, we are more likely an 8 seed.

3 of our losses were to probable NIT teams (Mississippi State and LSU).

Our best non-conference win was against a team that limped into the NCAAT with a 2-8 tally down the stretch (Oklahoma).
Even though it doesn't show on paper I think the Oklahoma St game was a bigger win. They beat some pretty good teams this yr

j-mann

great draw  a dream ser  if we get past Butler  this team can go to the final 8 
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

Cavtastic Voyage

I don't understand how we got screwed. Quit looking at the seed and look at the teams we're playing. I'm not sure what 6 seed you guys wanna swap with because to me playing mich st 2nd round is auto loss. I definitely don't wanna play Michigan second rd as hot as they are. You wanna be Florida playing UCLA then Texas Tech. Both those teams are very good. Maybe Miami and then get tenn again. Considering yesterday do y'all want that. I think we did ok. Play ball and win games. Bitching about the difference in being a 7 and a 6 seems petty. I have more ambition than that.

gchamblee

Those that want to complain will always find a reason to.

GuvHog

Quote from: mizzouman on March 11, 2018, 06:36:11 pm
Very tough draw. Butler won’t be easy but you should win. Purdue will be tough. You dont match up well with these guys.

Butler is not as good as they usually are so the Hogs should win that one. I agree that Purdue will be a tough match up but it's the one I wanted. The other 2 seeds are all much better.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HogsGoneWild

If I was Virginia, I'd be upset that I'm #1 overall and Kentucky and Arizona are in the top section of my bracket.

joeyself

Quote from: HogsGoneWild on March 11, 2018, 07:05:57 pm
If I was Virginia, I'd be upset that I'm #1 overall and Kentucky and Arizona are in the top section of my bracket.

If they did it in the snaking fashion, Virginia should have gotten the weakest 2, strongest 3, weakest 4 and strongest 5.   

I don't know that they did.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

Randohoggie

Quote from: 247Hog on March 11, 2018, 06:24:50 pm
Good grief. Just enjoy the process. It's been one hour and people are already complaining. Get a hobby maybe? Even the people on the show talked about us and how they expect us to be in the sweet sixteen. Have fun and enjoy that we're not talking about the NIT.

Fairly ironic to be on a college basketball message board chastising people for discussing college basketball.

LRHawg

Quote from: Cavtastic Voyage on March 11, 2018, 06:52:19 pm
I don't understand how we got screwed. Quit looking at the seed and look at the teams we're playing. I'm not sure what 6 seed you guys wanna swap with because to me playing mich st 2nd round is auto loss. I definitely don't wanna play Michigan second rd as hot as they are. You wanna be Florida playing UCLA then Texas Tech. Both those teams are very good. Maybe Miami and then get tenn again. Considering yesterday do y'all want that. I think we did ok. Play ball and win games. Bitching about the difference in being a 7 and a 6 seems petty. I have more ambition than that.

Exactly. I came in here expecting everyone to be excited UNC isn't in our region. Seems we found something new to complain about. Our matchups are doable, let's go on a run!

Hogz87

Quote from: LRHawg on March 11, 2018, 05:51:52 pm
I mean, at least we're not in UNC's bracket.
I had this empty feeling in my gut we were going to get a 7-seed (instead of a 6-seed) in UNC's region who was a lock as a 2-seed.