Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs in the NFL

Started by bennyl08, July 29, 2015, 05:00:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

July 29, 2015, 05:00:06 pm Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:30:40 pm by bennyl08
With training camps kicking off this weekend, I thought I'd take a thread as a primer for what our Razorback alums are up to in the NFL. Alas, I was working on this earlier, and my browser reset on me so I lost some of it. Plus, it takes a while to sift through the articles so there is still more work to be done. Feel free to add to this yourselves.

Alvin Bailey, Seattle: He is easily the projected frontrunner to take over the starting spot at LG for the hawks this year. He has 5 career starts in the regular season (i know he also started the Superbowl last year as an extra blocker and in the playoffs this year as RT in the green bay game). One of those starts was at LG vs Miami iirc where the hawks set a franchise record for rushing yards in a game. He has been the primary backup OL player at each position save for center and was the starting LT in preseason last year. Further, he has slimmed down 30 pounds and will not be playing at 320. I look for him to have a good season.

Jake Bequette, Patriots: Starting last year during his time on the practice squad, Bequette started working at TE and during OTA's switched there full time. However, CBB has stated he may still have a role on defense. He has been putting in a lot of work outside of practices at the juggs machine but says catching the ball is one of the easier parts, it's the route running and such that is more difficult. He is competing with Gronk, Chandler (bills starter for the past several seasons), Hooman, as well as AJ Derby and some others like Fred Davis. Coaches seem to like what they've been seeing though.

Knile Davis   , KC: Not really a whole lot of news on him. Mainly because there is no way he beats out Jamaal Charles, but at the same time, there is nobody there competing for his #2 spot. A few phrases often heard with him is that he is capable of being an NFL starter but also that he really needs to work on just hitting the hole harder and not dancing in the backfield too much.

AJ Derby, Patriots: Couldn't find too much on him. He was injured during OTA's which hurts him. Like Jake, he has a lot of competition at TE, but the specific role he would play is most similar to Hoomanoui's. Most people find him intriguing and a phrase that gets thrown around a lot with him is high football IQ. I think he is a strong practice squad candidate.

Trey Flowers, Patriots: Also not a whole of news with him. He was rates as one of the best steals by many in the draft, but without really having padded practices, his ability to show out hasn't really happened much.

Jerry Franklin, Saints: Appears to be a long shot to make the roster, but they did recently and surprisingly cut Gallette, so there is a bit more breathing room. He's been with the Broncos and Cheifs before this, possibly another team. That he hasn't stuck anywhere isn't a good a sign, but that he is still wanted by other teams and hasn't been out of work for too long is a positive.

Brett Goode, Packers: Never get much news on long snappers.

Chris Gragg, Bills: Charles Clay out of Miami is one of the big name signings at the position this year and so even though the previous starter Chandler is gone, Gragg's position on the depth chart didn't really improve. However, reading reports, Gragg's name is usually the first to be listed after talking about Clay. However, perhaps the biggest offseason addition to help Gragg is Greg Roman as OC. Roman likes to use his TE's and the TE2 is usually on the field for about 50% of snaps. The battle for the number 2 spot is wide open and it seems the difference between whoever is #2 and whoever is cut will be small.

Cobi Hamilton, Cincy: He played a bit in the playoff appearance this year for the bengals, but hasn't been able to make it off a team's practice squad. He is again in the battle for that 4th, 5th, or 6th receiver spot, but like in previous years, is ranked near the bottom of the pool.

Javontee Herndon, San Diego: ESPN has 53 man roster projections and they have Herndon making it on the Charger's as their 6th receiver. He was apparently rising while on the practice squad last year, and there is certainly talk, especially if he can etch out a role on special teams of him making the roster this year.

Alonzo Highsmith, Redskins: Highsmith, like Franklin, hasn't been able to stick anywhere, but he has managed to stick around. When the skins made the cuts to get down to 90 guys, they actually cut an extra player to add Alonzo (note, Brey Cook was among those cut).

Zach Hocker, Saints: Hocker was signed by the Dolphins earlier but with established kicker Sturgis, they released hocker after the draft before even having a chance to really see him kick. He tried out for the Saints before, so he went to a rookie camp with them and earned a contract as well as giving the confidence to cut veteran kicker. Now, it is between Hocker and Hopkins, who was a 5th round pick of the bills who won the starting job in 2013 before being injured for the entire season and then losing the battle in 2014. Neither kicker has kicked in a regular season game.

Chris Houston, Detroit Carolina: ESPN's list isn't fully updated as Houston is now a panther. Former second round pick for Atlanta, he was decent there before really taking off in Detroit, where he signed a 5 year 25 million dollar contract in 2013. However, a toe injury kept him off the field all of 2014 where the Lions let him go and the Panthers picked him up. Panthers have a very good defense, but have been short in the secondary and Houston may very well still be a starter for them. 

Cameron Jefferson, Bears: UDFA, so not much news. Lauded for his blend of athleticism and power, one guy I found thinks he is a solid practice squad candidate.

Ryan Mallett, Houston: Word on the street is that BOB is leaning towards starting Brian Hoyer week 1. IMO, Brian would be the better game manager, but not much more. Ryan has a lot more upside, and working in his favor is that the fan base overwhelmingly wants him to start. While Hoyer has been winning without much pressure, I think Mallett will close the gap when the pads come on. If he isn't starting week 1, he will still start most of the season, IMO.

Darren McFadden, Cowboys: Not much to say here that hasn't already been said. He is now a cowboy behind the best OL in the NFL at the moment. Right now, it is between him and Randel who will be the primary carrier and without pads, it's really hard for anybody to pull ahead of the other. There has been high praise from Jurrah but who knows if there is any accuracy with that. Time will tell here.

Tevin Mitchel, Redskins: Tevin has been boxing for training this offseason. He's also been highly impressing those around the program. Pretty much the only negative I'm reading about him is his injury history. That and the obvious mistakes from a rookie; however, there is lots of talk that with his athleticism, he could be starting in a year or two and playing as a lock-down corner. He made some plays of the day during OTA's breaking on some passes for INT's. There are a lot of veteran cornerbacks on the team at the moment, so him getting a lot of playing time this year isn't too likely, but he is using them to his advantage and he could use this year to get stronger and gain experience and challenge as a starter next season, though it is possible he starts a game or two due to injury this year, especially at nickel.

Jason Peters, Eagles: All-pro left tackle. I don't think much needs to be said here.

Darius Philon, San Diego: Search results were pretty diluted with razorback articles about him leaving more than what he's done as a charger so far. Though, from what I've read, his explosiveness and quick first step are what is mentioned along with how raw he is. He isn't expected to start at all this year. However, there is some good news. He is playing DE in a 3-4 defense, but one that acts more like a 4-3. I.e. the DL players are asked to penetrate rather than just eat up blocks, so he is certainly a good fit for the team.

Kiero Small, Baltimore: Drafted by Seahawks, he didn't make the roster or squad there. Instead, he was picked up by the browns, eventually making the roster and actually starting 3 games for them before being released. Finally, he ended up on the Raven's practice squad who he is with currently. However, ravens have a pretty well established FB so him making the roster is a long shot.

Chris Smith, Jacksonville: Smith is in an important roster battle with the Jags. Chris Clemons is the projected starter, but is 33 years old and fading. Smith in very limited playing time last year registered 3 sacks and is in the thick of the race to be the backup with a chance to start or get decent playing time as a #2. He only had 75 pass rushing snaps last year and registered 3 sacks, 1 hit, and 4 hurries. However, he is still a candidate for the practice squad this year.

Martrell Spaight, Redskins: Don't expect him to start this year. Worst case for him is probably a practice squad but he could make it on special teams. The biggest criticism of him that I've seen is his lack of speed and tightness in the hips making him a potential liability in coverage.

Travis Swanson, Detroit: He's the overwhelming favorite to start at center for the lions. Ramirez who was the starter at C for the Broncos was traded to the lions, but most expect him to possibly compete for the LG spot. Some think he will challenge for the C position but that is usually followed by it is Swanson's to lose. Awesome, great, and super smart are words OC Lombardi used to describe him.

Robert Thomas, Redskins: I really couldn't find anything about him.

Demetrius Wilson, San Diego: Not a lot about him, but has practice squad potential.

Jarius Wright, Minnesota: Vikings are deep at receiver now, but it appears that Wright is the favorite to stay in the slot. Due to lack of playmakers, Wright has been forced to do more work as an outside receiver but has been most effective while in the slot. With Jennings gone now, Wright is expected to make a more permanent move and stay in his more natural position, which should help his production.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

YtownHog

What happened with the deal for Tyler Wilson to work with the Bears?  It came out about 2 months ago or so.  Did that already come and go?

yraciv

Quote from: YtownHog on July 29, 2015, 07:35:44 pm
What happened with the deal for Tyler Wilson to work with the Bears?  It came out about 2 months ago or so.  Did that already come and go?

He worked out with the Bears.  He never received an offer.

Svrdhd

Atlanta Falcons signed DeMarcus Love today.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

bennyl08

Quote from: Svrdhd on July 29, 2015, 08:11:59 pm
Atlanta Falcons signed DeMarcus Love today.

Sweet, I always liked him. What position do you know?
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hogarusa

Wowsers, good work with lots of info
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

YtownHog

Quote from: yraciv on July 29, 2015, 07:58:55 pm
He worked out with the Bears.  He never received an offer.

Thanks, wasn't sure what had happened there.

hogfan14

Herndon and Mitchel have been nice surprises IMO

hogfan14

Cobi Hamilton claimed off waivers by the Dolphins today.

Miami is already pretty stacked at WR though

Razor6

All this info in 1 spot?  Wow, you are my favorite!

Might put this in an excel grid... to track progress over the years/seasons.
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

MuskogeeHogFan

Robert Thomas was on the Redskins practice squad last year and is now at Redskins camp.
Go Hogs Go!

hawgXi

August 02, 2015, 08:53:50 am #11 Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:49:58 am by hawgXi
great job, benny!

last night I went to NFL channel, NFL.com, ESPN.com, and several team websites to find updated camp reports on former razorbacks.

I came up empty (including no new news from cowboy's website on DMac)

there were a few words printed on Texan's website re: mallett/hoyer QB situation.

that's was it.

have no idea where you came up with all this info, or how much time it took you to collect it, but thanx for putting this together

Uncommon

August 02, 2015, 10:29:25 am #12 Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 04:25:39 pm by Uncommon
Here's the website to look at as the preseason cuts go along:

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/prohogs/

By Coach (Majority of the years a player played under a coach ; tie goes to most recent coach)
3 Nutt players
Brett Goode
Darren McFadden
Jason Peters

13 Petrino players
Alvin Bailey
Jake Bequette
Knile Davis
Jerry Franklin
Chris Gragg
Cobi Hamilton
Javontee Herndon
Zach Hocker
Demarcus Love
Ryan Mallett
Chris Smith
Travis Swanson
Jarius Wright

1 Smith player
Alonzo Highsmith

9 Bielema players
AJ Derby
Trey Flowers
Cameron Jefferson
Tevin Mitchel
Darius Philon
Kiero Small
Martrell Spaight
Robert Thomas
Demetrius Wilson

By Position
1 QB
Ryan Mallett

2 RB
Knile Davis
Darren McFadden

1 FB
Kiero Small

4 WR
Cobi Hamilton
Javontee Herndon
Demetrius Wilson
Jarius Wright

3 TE
Jake Bequette
AJ Derby
Chris Gragg

5 OL
Alvin Bailey
Cameron Jefferson
Demarcus Love
Jason Peters
Travis Swanson

4 DL
Trey Flowers
Darius Philon
Chris Smith
Robert Thomas

3 LB
Jerry Franklin
Alonzo Highsmith
Martrell Spaight

1 DB
Tevin Mitchel

1 K
Zach Hocker

1 LS
Brett Goode

hawgXi

August 02, 2015, 11:40:43 am #13 Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 05:09:57 pm by hawgXi
taking a look at which NFL teams find the talent profile they are drafting at fayetteville ( excuse the formatting):

Demarcus Love      OL      Atlanta           Petrino
Kiero Small              FB      Baltimore   CBB
Chris Gragg              TE      Buffalo           CBB
Chris Houston      DB      Carolina           HDN
Cameron Jefferson  OL      Chicago           CBB
Darren McFadden      RB      Dallas           HDN
Travis Swanson      OL      Detroit           Petrino
Brett Goode      LS      Green Bay   HDN
Ryan Mallett      QB      Houston           Petrino
Chris Smith              DB      Jacksonville   Petrino
Knile Davis              RB      K.C.           Petrino
Cobi Hamilton      WR      Miami           Petrino
Jarius Wright      WR      Minnesota   Petrino
AJ Derby              TE      New England   CBB
Jake Bequette     DE/TE New England   Petrino
Trey Flowers      DE      New England   CBB
Jerry Franklin      LB      New Orleans   Petrino
Zach Hocker      K      New Orleans   Petrino
Jason Peters      OL      Philadelphia   HDN
Darius Philon      DL      San Diego   CBB
Demetrius Wilson   WR   San Diego   CBB
Javontee Herndon   WR   San Diego   Petrino
Alvin Bailey       OL      Seattle           Petrino
Alonzo Highsmith    LB      Washington   John L
Martrell Spaight       LB      Washington   CBB
Robert Thomas       DL      Washington   CBB
Tevin Mitchel       DB      Washington   CBB

hawgXi

sort by position.  again, sorry for formatting.  looks ok in preview??

Chris Houston   DB   Carolina   HDN
Chris Smith           DB   Jacksonville   Petrino
Tevin Mitchel   DB   Washington   CBB
Trey Flowers   DE   New England   CBB
Jake Bequette   DE/TE   New England   Petrino
Darius Philon   DL   San Diego   CBB
Robert Thomas   DL   Washington   CBB
Kiero Small   FB   Baltimore   CBB
Zach Hocker   K   New Orleans   Petrino
Jerry Franklin   LB   New Orleans   Petrino
Alonzo HighsmithLB   Washington   John L
Martrell Spaight   LB   Washington   CBB
Brett Goode   LS   Green Bay   HDN
Demarcus Love   OL   Atlanta   Petrino
Cameron Jefferson OL   Chicago   CBB
Travis Swanson   OL   Detroit   Petrino
Jason Peters   OL   Philadelphia   HDN
Alvin Bailey   OL   Seattle   Petrino
Ryan Mallett   QB   Houston   Petrino
Darren McFadden   RB   Dallas   HDN
Knile Davis   RB   K.C.   Petrino
Chris Gragg   TE   Buffalo   CBB
AJ Derby   TE   New England   CBB
Cobi Hamilton   WR   Miami   Petrino
Jarius Wright   WR   Minnesota   Petrino
Demetrius Wilson WR   San Diego   CBB
Javontee Herndon WR   San Diego   Petrino

flagstaffhog

Nice thread. Appreciate all the information.

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!

Dugann

By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

Razor6

Just saw Joe Adams video (return against TN) tweeted by Bo Mattingly... Is he not playing somewhere?
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

codeHog

Rocket23

Jerry Franklin had previously been with the Chicago Bears

JackJohnson

August 03, 2015, 02:11:44 pm #20 Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:18:46 pm by JackJohnson
Tevin Mitchel out with a torn labrum.  Speculation is he will be waived/injured and "redshirted" this year.  Really sucks bc Deangelo Hall is on his last legs and Breshard Breeland is out for the first 4-6 games of the year so he really had a chance to earn the starting nickel spot

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10557/tevin-mitchel

Virgil

Quote from: JackJohnson on August 03, 2015, 02:11:44 pm
Tevin Mitchel out with a torn labrum.  Speculation is he will be waived/injured and "redshirted" this year.  Really sucks bc Dante Hall is on his last legs and Breshard Breeland is out for the first 4-6 games of the year so he really had a chance to earn the starting nickel spot

As a die hard Skins fan, this really sucks!!  I really hate it for him.  I was really looking forward to seeing him play some this preseason. 
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

alohawg

Man, seems so many hogs are snake bit at the next level.  ::)
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 01, 2015, 07:33:01 pm
Robert Thomas was on the Redskins practice squad last year and is now at Redskins camp.
He was on the 53 man roster for a couple of games last year as well for the Redskins.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

bennyl08

Quote from: hawgXi on August 02, 2015, 08:53:50 am
great job, benny!

last night I went to NFL channel, NFL.com, ESPN.com, and several team websites to find updated camp reports on former razorbacks.

I came up empty (including no new news from cowboy's website on DMac)

there were a few words printed on Texan's website re: mallett/hoyer QB situation.

that's was it.

have no idea where you came up with all this info, or how much time it took you to collect it, but thanx for putting this together

Google news. I went off the ESPN list of hawgs currently in the NFL. I knew Robert Thomas was with the skins and even made the roster for a spell, but his name wasn't on the list when I looked so I assumed he wasn't on a roster atm. Similarly, Wingo had been with the Falcons but I didn't see him listed anywhere. Granted, they had Houston still with the lions and not the panthers so clearly not a foolproof list.

Uncommon

AJ Derby hasn't been practicing with the Patriots since July 30/31.  Took a plane to Phoenix from Newark recently.

https://twitter.com/NWAHutch/status/628580436592168960

It's been very quite on why he hasn't been at practice as no information has been brought forward by Patriots media.  Wonder if it's a family emergency or something.

hawgXi

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 03, 2015, 05:43:59 pm
Google news. I went off the ESPN list of hawgs currently in the NFL. I knew Robert Thomas was with the skins and even made the roster for a spell, but his name wasn't on the list when I looked so I assumed he wasn't on a roster atm. Similarly, Wingo had been with the Falcons but I didn't see him listed anywhere. Granted, they had Houston still with the lions and not the panthers so clearly not a foolproof list.

interesting.  that's a lot of work.

yes, things change and what is reported in the media may not be updated in real time.

thanx again for your effort!

ricepig

Quote from: Uncommon on August 04, 2015, 11:08:28 am
AJ Derby hasn't been practicing with the Patriots since July 30/31.  Took a plane to Phoenix from Newark recently.

https://twitter.com/NWAHutch/status/628580436592168960

It's been very quite on why he hasn't been at practice as no information has been brought forward by Patriots media.  Wonder if it's a family emergency or something.

Derby has been waived.

@MikeReiss:The #Patriots have waived/injured rookie  TE AJ Derby, sixth-round pick out of Arkansas.

@MikeReiss: AJ Derby had participated in Thursday's practice but has not been spotted since. Will revert to IR if not claimed. #Patriots

Uncommon

Along with AJ Derby being waived by the Patriots today, former Razorback and Panthers CB Chris Houston has decided to retire.  Brings the #ProHogs total down to 25.

https://twitter.com/NWAHutch/status/628706255842988036

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Looking at Joe Adams' Wikipedia page, it seems that his career is over as well.  For whatever reasons, the BC Lions waived him after failing to stick with the Texans.

That's too bad.  I really liked watching him play for the Hogs.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Foshodo

all that offensive dominance under Petrino with nothing really to show for it... we need a couple of players representing us well in the next level. I still have hope for Mallett and Wright and Knile have shown moments but we need a star and not Jason Peters...

bennyl08

Quote from: Foshodo on August 05, 2015, 05:18:33 am
all that offensive dominance under Petrino with nothing really to show for it... we need a couple of players representing us well in the next level. I still have hope for Mallett and Wright and Knile have shown moments but we need a star and not Jason Peters...

Oregon hasn't had many of their players on offense do much either. Knile is actually one of the top backup rb's in the league, at least as far as fantasy is concerned. Wright is obviously a slot receiver, but has actually spent a majority of his snaps on the outside due to the Vikings not having anybody else to put out there. Mallett did very well on the road vs a really good secondary in Cleveland before getting injured. With the loss of Foster, I think that helps Mallett in the qb competition. Harder for them to rely on defense and running game so making plays in the passing game becomes more important.

I'm surprised to see Houston retiring. I figured he would enjoy being on a team with a good chance of the playoffs that needed help at his position. I remember reading Derby was banged up during OTA's and I'd be surprised if he wasn't on somebody's practice squad during the season.

NLRHog92

Quote from: JackJohnson on August 03, 2015, 02:11:44 pm
Tevin Mitchel out with a torn labrum.  Speculation is he will be waived/injured and "redshirted" this year.  Really sucks bc Deangelo Hall is on his last legs and Breshard Breeland is out for the first 4-6 games of the year so he really had a chance to earn the starting nickel spot

Picked up by Colts off waivers.

Uncommon

A couple of days late but AJ Derby cleared waivers and is now on injured reserve for the Patriots.

alohawg

Found this note today on Martrell:

Rookie inside linebacker Martrell Spaight got some extra action Monday with Compton injured and Robinson being checked for a head injury. Spaight ran the second defense Monday, and then late in practice, he took over for Robinson, and seemed sure of himself while making the calls. Spaight's best play came when he read the backfield and met Thompson in the hole and stopped him with a good, hard tackle.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2015/08/10/observations-from-day-12-of-redskins-training-camp/

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

alohawg

August 12, 2015, 03:31:31 am #35 Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 12:37:03 pm by alohawg
nm

-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

RyanLR

Is Nate Garner not still with the Dolphins?

Professor Psychosis

Trey Flowers having a good first half with NE vs. GB tonight.  Just had a sack on Aaron Rodgers.

Edit:  And just as I hit send, he looked hurt on a play.  He walked off under his own power though, so maybe he'll be ok.

Professor Psychosis

Kiero Small with a catch late in the first half for BAL vs NO.

razorbacker3

Quote from: RyanLR on August 12, 2015, 05:28:37 am
Is Nate Garner not still with the Dolphins?
No. Cut before the season. Youth movement according to Nate on radio.

upperdeck_hawg

Zack Hocker went 2/3 good from 47 and 50. He also missed from 50.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

sickboy

Spaight tied for most tackles tonight for Washington's defense with six. He's gonna be a productive backer.

alohawg

-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

yraciv

Quote from: alohawg on August 17, 2015, 01:05:57 am
SIAP- DJ Williams signed with Redskins.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2015/08/16/redskins-add-another-tight-end-in-four-year-veteran-d-j-williams/

Interesting, going up against former Southside Rebel, UCA Bear, Chase Dixon.  Looks like a good opportunity for DJ to stick around in the NFL.

alohawg

Quote from: yraciv on August 17, 2015, 07:35:42 pm
Interesting, going up against former Southside Rebel, UCA Bear, Chase Dixon.  Looks like a good opportunity for DJ to stick around in the NFL.

Yeah, bringing him in as a blocking TE, his strength.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

WarPig88

Quote from: Foshodo on August 05, 2015, 05:18:33 am

When is the last time Ark had a star at the NFL level?

DLUXHOG

Quote from: WarPig88 on August 18, 2015, 12:00:14 am
When is the last time Ark had a star at the NFL level?

Okay Debbie downer.... here are but a mere few of noted Razorbacks that were stars in the NFL.... again, this is but a few............

Pat Sumerall (NFL Champions before there was a "Superbowl")
Lance Alworth ( (has a Superbowl ring and is NFL Hall of Fame)
Joe Ferguson
Dennis Winston (has a Superbowl ring)
RC Thielman  (has a Superbowl ring)
Dan Hampton (has a Superbowl ring and is NFL Hall of Fame)
Billy Ray Smith
Gary Anderson..
Steve Atwater..
Tony Ugoh  (has a Superbowl ring)
Mitch Petrus (has a Superbowl ring)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

razorbackfan4life

Jason Peters
Shawn Andrews

atekido

Quote from: DLUXHOG on August 18, 2015, 12:11:11 am
Okay Debbie downer.... here are but a mere few of noted Razorbacks that were stars in the NFL.... again, this is but a few............

Pat Sumerall (NFL Champions before there was a "Superbowl")
Lance Alworth ( (has a Superbowl ring and is NFL Hall of Fame)
Joe Ferguson
Dennis Winston (has a Superbowl ring)
RC Thielman  (has a Superbowl ring)
Dan Hampton (has a Superbowl ring and is NFL Hall of Fame)
Billy Ray Smith
Gary Anderson..
Steve Atwater..
Tony Ugoh  (has a Superbowl ring)
Mitch Petrus (has a Superbowl ring)

He Said Star.  He means it would be nice if Arkansas could produce a Peyton, Brady, Tomilson, Peterson, Emitt Smith, Rogers, Watt, Calvin, Witten, Gronkowski ect ect.   Players that whether that have a ring or not will go down as some of the greats in there position.  Minus Lance and Steve no other Razorbacks are ever mentioned in that respect from anyone outside Arkansas.  Rings do not make a player great.  You can be a 2nd or 3rd string guy and get rings because you happen to be on a great team.

yraciv

Quote from: atekido on August 18, 2015, 08:33:54 am
He Said Star.  He means it would be nice if Arkansas could produce a Peyton, Brady, Tomilson, Peterson, Emitt Smith, Rogers, Watt, Calvin, Witten, Gronkowski ect ect.   Players that whether that have a ring or not will go down as some of the greats in there position.  Minus Lance and Steve no other Razorbacks are ever mentioned in that respect from anyone outside Arkansas.  Rings do not make a player great.  You can be a 2nd or 3rd string guy and get rings because you happen to be on a great team.

I agree with this. There are many Razorbacks that have had quality careers in the NFL gotten to the Pro Bowl and some have won the Super Bowl.  Alworth and Atwater were considered stars.  I'd say guys like Dan Hampton, Shawn Andrews, and  Jason Peters were considered stars at point in their careers.  Although you can argue that claim for a lot of DT and OL, who don't get pegged stars due to position.  And for a brief moment in 2010 Peyton Hillis was a star, you can't claim the cover of Madden not being.  Other than that though, I get the sentiment.  Our best claim right now is Bielema talking about Watt and Wilson.  I think it's coming!