Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High School Coach Charged in Player's Death

Started by "Pickled" Pig's Pete, January 23, 2009, 09:44:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SPAL

Quote from: 240bgunner on January 25, 2009, 03:16:39 pm
if its a bartenders fault for overserving somebody, then the teller at mcdonalds is liable in the case you presented.

ignorance. Sheer, unadulterated ignorance. 

cdclark09

There is no way to spin this, IMO, that the coaches shouldn't be held responsible for this.  Everyone on here defending him seems to ignore the fact that there was another kid that collapsed 15 minutes before this kid died.  As soon as that first kid dropped, he should have stopped.  That is completely inexcusable.  Even if kids these days 'aren't as tough as they used to be back in my day,' there is no intelligible reason to kill the kids today to 'toughen' them up. 

pigtrino

You don't need an autopsy to exclude an MI in a person that presented to the hospital with a core temp of 107.  Not to mention sepsis, multiorgan failure, and "heat stroke" as causes of death.  As for preparticipation physicals, they aren't at all likely to pick up the sort of problem that led to Bias' death. 

SRFL

Quote from: pigtrino on January 25, 2009, 06:39:20 pm
You don't need an autopsy to exclude an MI in a person that presented to the hospital with a core temp of 107.  Not to mention sepsis, multiorgan failure, and "heat stroke" as causes of death.  As for preparticipation physicals, they aren't at all likely to pick up the sort of problem that led to Bias' death. 

But if a thermogenic supplement was present there is a whole new ballgame.  Agree?

pigtrino

Certainly stimulants increase the likelihood of hyperthermia.  This was a big problem in the 80's and early 90's in dance clubs in Great Britain.  The moderate climate there coupled with dancing in the warm clubs.

board

Might have been a sign to lighten up when the first player went down.

LA Football fan

I have seen players go down all the time, especially early in two a days.  Same thing when I went through basic training.  The coaches have no way of knowing just because a player goes down that others are on the verge also.  How many football games do you see stopped because players start going down with heat cramps early in the season?  Do you see the coaches and officials say, wait a minute, we have to let the kids play the remainder of the game at half speed or stop the game for the safety of the kids.  Saying the coach should have stopped practice or lessened the drills is applying two different standards for the same type scenario I just stated.  With the heat index at 94, there was no reason for the coaches to expect a player to be having serious heat complications.  Coaches expect players to struggle with heat and  conditioning when practice first begins.  They appeared to call for help as soon as they realized how serious his condition was.   Even with an autopsy saying heat was the cause, there is no way of knowing if the kid had a physical problem handling heat that contributed or even if he was taking medication that could have contributed.  Just too many variables to just blame the head coach.   Just a no win situation for everyone involved.

RazorReb

Quote from: rampage72501 on January 23, 2009, 09:44:59 am
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090123/ap_on_re_us/player_death_charges;_ylt=AmvQjODsz4ZXi7vEGPWghmpI2ocA
It will be interesting to see how this turns out...

This is a sad story but the bottom line is no one has forced these kids to play.  The coach had no way of knowing this would happen. I am sure kids collapse every day during two a days.  I wonder who the "paramedics" were not able to intibate the kid, I wasn't there so I won't try and pass any judgement but I would wonder. Sounds like the only mistake was not calling sooner and the time it took the squad to respond.

H&D

Quote from: baldhog1 on January 24, 2009, 08:16:03 am
Just wait the state of Arkansas is a time bomb, very few Athletic trainers in the state, and some coaches still set in their ways = bad things.

what schools have a trainer in the state?

Alma has a Main Trainer and about five or six student trainers at all the practices.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

StewDogg11

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 23, 2009, 11:53:23 am
Crap happens and at 94 Degrees it is no ones fault the kid died.  With No autopsy who can say the boy didn't have a bad heart like Lynn Bias.  This Grand Jury got swayed by emotion over facts.

I feel for this coach and his family what a mess to endure.  As for the boys family shame on them for suing.
Uhh, Len Bias OD'd on Cocaine, are you maybe thinking of Hank Gathers.

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: HawgsandDawgs on January 26, 2009, 11:17:16 am
Alma has a Main Trainer and about five or six student trainers at all the practices.

Har-Ber has a trainer. He taught a class at the UofA one semester. Benton had a trainer when I was there.
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: 240bgunner on January 24, 2009, 09:38:40 am
yeah.  i'm 30 years old and i had to work my butt off all summer to save the money to be able to afford the truck and the gas that i bought during football season.  i could not sit up in the sweet air (as coach called it) all summer.  i truly think that my generation is the last one that had to work, and be responsible for our actions.  learning disorders, internet, child spanking laws, and many other things have arisen is the last 15 years that continues to make kids soft.

Amen on all accounts.  +1
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Dances With Hogs

na
Quote from: wildhogman on January 24, 2009, 09:23:47 am
I think back on my youth and wonder why we never had more problems. We were always outside from sun up to way after sunset. Rarely drank any water, because a trip into the hosue was an invitation to a list of chores mom had drawn up. If we showed up for lunch it was a miracle, and usualy a quick sandwich and a glass of tea,koolaide,whatever.(never plain water). Guess we were just acclimated to it more, not having computers and video games, and not allowed to "hang out" in the mall.

bighog77

Quote from: ImHogginIt on January 24, 2009, 09:14:08 am
Wonder if he was taking other supplements like creatine which requires you to need more hydration

I read an article about this story that did say something about creatine. 

kgr

There are two issues here.  The lawsuit by the parents and the criminal prosecution by the state.  The level of negligence on the prosecution is much higher than the level of negligence on the civil suit. 

We don't know all the facts.  There may have been warning signs the coach ignored or it may be a prosecutor who has a hard on for his run um till they drop high school football coach and is getting some payback.

Anyone who posts here that played high school football in Arkansas experienced the 2 a days when the afternoon workout was in 90 something degree weather and 80 something percent humidity. 
What have we learned in 2,064 years?

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to
work,  instead of living on public assistance."
                                                               -
Cicero   - 55 BC

So,   evidently nothing.

Mitch C

Quote from: kgr on January 27, 2009, 04:39:28 pmit may be a prosecutor who has a hard on for his run um till they drop high school football coach and is getting some payback.

I had a hard on for my high school english and math teachers, but you don't see me posecuting anyone.

hawgsav1

Coaches do need to let kids take water breaks and ensure they super-hydrate before a workout. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb