Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC MBB Tournament

Started by SugarHillGaHog, March 13, 2024, 10:45:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: riccoar on March 17, 2024, 03:29:13 pmThey got the 20+ but with A&M getting snubbed in 2022 and having all those Quad 1's, just not sure the committee gives us 8

Lunardi has them both as the last four byes, not even play in game.  So they probably both will be in.

bphi11ips

After studying Auburn before their visit to Fayetteville, I suggested they look like this year's UConn.  But maybe UConn will be that, too, sans Sanogo.  Donovan Clingan is a giant projected to go in first round.  Stephon Castle is another projected first round pick.  Karaban is projected to go in second round.  And then there's Tristen Newton. 

Sanogo was wasn't a draft pick but signed a two-way contract with Chicago.  His skills might not translate to the NBA, but he was a nightmare for college coaches to matchup with.  Maybe a little like Corliss Williamson.  But Sanogo averaged 2O.6 points and 12.5 rebounds in 24 G-League for the Windy City Bulls before Chicago called him up to the NBA.  So far he's been riding pine and playing little, but I'll bet he sticks and has a long career in the NBA.

Will be a fun tournament.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: riccoar on March 17, 2024, 03:29:13 pmThey got the 20+ but with A&M getting snubbed in 2022 and having all those Quad 1's, just not sure the committee gives us 8

I had some crow nearby but turns out it's it's for you ;)

riccoar

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 17, 2024, 05:45:53 pmI had some crow nearby but turns out it's it's for you ;)
Shocked me that they gave us 8

jbcarol

Rick Barnes explains how Tennessee benefitted from loss in the SEC Tournament
Andrew Olson |

QuoteRick Barnes' Tennessee team was triumphant in claiming an SEC championship by knocking 3 consecutive ranked opponents in the final weeks of the 2023-24 regular season.

UT won 4 straight against unranked opponents before beating Auburn, Alabama and South Carolina back-to-back-to-back to extend its streak to 7. The Volunteers were the SEC's hottest team and had a strong case for a No. 1 seed

When Tennessee lost 85-81 to Kentucky to close out the regular season, no one panicked. The Wildcats were a good team. UT was playing its 4th consecutive ranked opponent. Every team starts to feel some wear and tear at the end of the season.

Then came the SEC Tournament.

After getting a coveted double-bye, the Volunteers faced Mississippi State, the conference tourney's 9-seed. MSU dominated the first half, 38-19, and didn't look back for a 73-56 win to send UT packing early.

The jokes and memes were everywhere. Plenty of fans and media members shook their heads, wondering what it was about Barnes in March. The Vols were out of the 1-seed picture for the Big Dance and seemingly in for another year of March Sadness.

Turns out, losing to Mississippi State may have helped Tennessee make its run to the second Elite 8 for a chance at its first-ever Final Four.

"After the SEC Tournament, they've done just an incredible job of getting after each other and holding each other to a higher level, higher standard," Barnes told reporters after the Sweet 16 win over Creighton. "I do my — I think I do my job getting after them, but it's a whole lot easier when they start getting at each other."

Barnes saw the difference before Friday.

"It happened the other night in the game. Where Dalton (Knecht) was struggling a little bit, and they snapped at him to snap him out of it a bit, and they talked to him," Barnes shared. "When you get teams that care that much and can take coaching from each other, that's a good thing. I can tell you, that's where the loss in the SEC Tournament helped us."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net