Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown IX

Started by clutch, April 05, 2015, 01:50:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

Quote from: clutch on April 29, 2015, 10:51:02 pm
Would be another series win if it were a 3 game series instead of 4.

Unless I'm mistaken, we haven't lost a series all year. Granted the Cubs series was 1-1 with the rain out, but I don't think we've lost a series yet. Am I right about that?
WPS

pigture perfect

Quote from: popcornhog on April 29, 2015, 11:31:22 pm
Unless I'm mistaken, we haven't lost a series all year. Granted the Cubs series was 1-1 with the rain out, but I don't think we've lost a series yet. Am I right about that?
you are correct.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

popcornhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 29, 2015, 11:40:11 pm
you are correct.

That's pretty remarkable.

I know that the Mets lost their first series.

I can't say for sure about the Royals or Tigers but I think that the Royals lost a series to the Twins and/or White Sox.
WPS

popcornhog

Last night's win gives the Cardinals the best record in baseball (not just the NL).

WPS

popcornhog

Cooney v Buchanon (7.52 ERA; 0-4) 12:45 pm Central.

Tim Cooney is getting his first start this afternoon. Will be interesting.

He is 2-1 as a starter this year in Memphis with about a 3.2 ERA, I believe.

Cooney played at Wake Forest and grew up a big Phillies fan so it's fitting that he'll get his first start against the Phillies with the chance to get a series victory.

WPS

popcornhog

Cards take a 3-0 lead into the 2nd!
WPS

popcornhog

Cooney gives up a lead off walk and a base hit.

Runners at first and 2nd no outs.

Cooney is struggling to locate his pitches.
WPS

popcornhog

Cooney gets his 2nd K on a high fast ball to get to Buchanon with two on and one out.
WPS

popcornhog

On a full count, Cooney gets his 3rd K.
WPS

popcornhog

Base hit through Cooney's legs for Herera and the Phillies are on the board.

3-1
WPS

popcornhog

Ground out to Kozma gets Cooney out of the top of the 2nd.

3-1 Cards
WPS

DeltaBoy

Quote from: popcornhog on April 30, 2015, 08:21:24 am
Last night's win gives the Cardinals the best record in baseball (not just the NL).

Way to go Red Birds!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

popcornhog

I got pulled away with work but it's now tied 3-3.

Cooney gave up a bomb and a run was scored on a sac fly (Heyward made a great grab).

3-3 with 2 outs for Villanueva.
WPS

popcornhog

Molina throws out Hernandez to get out of the 3rd. Nice throw, better quick tag by Wong.

3-3
WPS

popcornhog

Matt Adams just crushed a very deep 2 out 2 run bomb over the Cardinals dugout.

5-3 cardinals bottom 3rd
WPS

Horsesrus

Very good job by Villanueva today. 

popcornhog

I've been distracted by work again, but yes, it looks like Villanueva has done very well.

Cards are now up 7-3. Top 8th 2 down for Maness.
WPS

popcornhog

Maness gets the final out.

7-3 Cards headed to bottom 8th.
WPS

popcornhog

2 out rally here makes it 8-3 on Jay's base hit to left field.
WPS

popcornhog

Carp with a hard hit base hit to short.

Bases loaded.
WPS

dhornjr1

Question for you guys that were blacked out in that game last night. What cable or dish system do you have?

I have DirecTv and I pay $7 a month for the sports package that gets me Fox Sports Midwest. I highly recommend it if you can get it.

popcornhog

Peralta walked with the bases loaded.

9-3

Brings up Adams.
WPS

popcornhog

Matt Adams flies out to the track to end the inning.

The Cardinals leave the bases loaded and take a 9-3 lead into the 9th.
WPS

popcornhog

Two up and two down for Siegrest.
WPS

popcornhog

And a two out triple extends the game.
WPS

popcornhog

Jay makes a routine grab in shallow foul territory to end it 9-3 and the Cardinals retain the best record in all of Major League Baseball.
WPS

popcornhog

The Cardinals are the only .700+ team in baseball.

With another series victory, they have not yet lost a series in 2015.
WPS

pigture perfect

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on April 30, 2015, 03:32:40 pm
Question for you guys that were blacked out in that game last night. What cable or dish system do you have?

I have DirecTv and I pay $7 a month for the sports package that gets me Fox Sports Midwest. I highly recommend it if you can get it.
uverse. I bought the sports pack, but because of location, I get FoxSW. Like Uverse. Hate FoxSW.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on April 30, 2015, 03:32:40 pm

Suddenlink, I get FSSW and all the Cardinals pre game, games, and post game come on the FS+ channel. They don't if it's a national telecast however.

WatchESPN came in handy on the PC last night. What's dumb is the game was available on WatchESPN on the ESPN feed (or whatever they call it) and wasn't blacked out, but it wasn't available on my TV package on anything. Go figure that one.

Oh yeah, I did suffer through the ESPN Desportes telecast for the first inning or so on WatchESPN but I got to find out how much of my 12 credit hours of Spanish I've forgotten.  :)

But I was able to find a way to watch it without doing something illegal.  ;D
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

dhornjr1

Is Fox Sports SW still carrying Astros games? :puke:

Memphis has Fox Sports South which is a Braves carrier. Up until this year they carried the Cardinals on a Fox Sports alternate channel. But this year, for some inexplicable reason, the alternate channel was carrying Reds games.

I called DirecTv to tear somebody a new one but they said I could pay $7 and get all the premium sports channels and never have any game blacked out.

I'm golden now.

dhornjr1

Quote from: popcornhog on April 30, 2015, 03:47:24 pm
The Cardinals are the only .700+ team in baseball.

With another series victory, they have not yet lost a series in 2015.

When you first posted that the Cardinals had the best record in baseball, no offense to you, but I had to check for myself. It just didn't seem possible.

With the inconsistent offense and the Wainwright injury, they're still playing the best ball in the majors.

Unbelievable.

jrulz83

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on April 30, 2015, 06:37:37 pm
Is Fox Sports SW still carrying Astros games? :puke:

Memphis has Fox Sports South which is a Braves carrier. Up until this year they carried the Cardinals on a Fox Sports alternate channel. But this year, for some inexplicable reason, the alternate channel was carrying Reds games.

I called DirecTv to tear somebody a new one but they said I could pay $7 and get all the premium sports channels and never have any game blacked out.

I'm golden now.

I've never run into a total blackout of a national telecast of a Cardinals game until yesterday.

I rarely check FSSW, way too much Texas/Oklahoma/Big 12...10...8...whatever, for me. All I ever see on there is the Rangers.  :puke:

popcornhog

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on April 30, 2015, 06:50:08 pm
When you first posted that the Cardinals had the best record in baseball, no offense to you, but I had to check for myself. It just didn't seem possible.

With the inconsistent offense and the Wainwright injury, they're still playing the best ball in the majors.

Unbelievable.

Before I looked, I honestly thought we were behind the Mets, Royals, and Tigers.

That's what you'd think based on media coverage.

Still, especially without Waino, the NL Central is going to be a battle.
WPS

popcornhog

Granted it was just one game but Cooney did not look ready. His location was horrible and he couldn't make it 3 innings.

I'm not sure the bullpen can take that kind of stress every fifth game.

Jaime and Gonzalez are still at least a couple of weeks away from being ready. Y'all think Cooney will get another shot in the interim?
WPS

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on May 01, 2015, 08:07:50 am
Granted it was just one game but Cooney did not look ready. His location was horrible and he couldn't make it 3 innings.

I'm not sure the bullpen can take that kind of stress every fifth game.

Jaime and Gonzalez are still at least a couple of weeks away from being ready. Y'all think Cooney will get another shot in the interim?

Hard to judge him on one start given nerves, facing his childhood team, and all. Unless they brought him up to face the Phillies specifically for all the left handed bats they carry I bet they give him 3 starts at least. As long as Villanueva can do his job as necessary it will be fine. The offense scoring 5-8 runs a game helps too ;)

Seeing as he's always depended on location to get people out, you have to think that his location troubles were nervousness related.

The ideal situation for me is Garcia comes back healthy, but that's probably about as likely as me flying to the moon.

popcornhog

Quote from: jrulz83 on May 01, 2015, 08:58:08 am
Hard to judge him on one start given nerves, facing his childhood team, and all. Unless they brought him up to face the Phillies specifically for all the left handed bats they carry I bet they give him 3 starts at least. As long as Villanueva can do his job as necessary it will be fine. The offense scoring 5-8 runs a game helps too ;)

Seeing as he's always depended on location to get people out, you have to think that his location troubles were nervousness related.

The ideal situation for me is Garcia comes back healthy, but that's probably about as likely as me flying to the moon.

Agreed. Jaime can be really good but he can't stay healthy. Ideally he and Gonzales could sort of platoon/rotate. I'm sure Lackey's gonna need some time off at some point, too given his age.

It's such a weird position to be in right now. The Cubs, Pirates, and Reds are all good enough to overtake first place. Yet right now we sit atop the entire majors by a thread.

You're right about the run support though. I really like the current order.
WPS

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on May 01, 2015, 09:06:07 am
Agreed. Jaime can be really good but he can't stay healthy. Ideally he and Gonzales could sort of platoon/rotate. I'm sure Lackey's gonna need some time off at some point, too given his age.

It's such a weird position to be in right now. The Cubs, Pirates, and Reds are all good enough to overtake first place. Yet right now we sit atop the entire majors by a thread.

You're right about the run support though. I really like the current order.

It is hard to believe this team would have the best record and hasn't lost a series! Crazy to me.

They're going to be banking some innings for Carlos Martinez too. At least I hope so, you'd hate to get in a Stephen Strasburg situation with him. The need for some guy(s) to eat innings is there. The question is can they find it internally or not. I think they can, but if a trade becomes necessary I would prefer a cheaply attainable veteran innings eater over the ace or even #2 starter type.

They've only faced the Phillies but the new look lineup has been good. This Pirates series will be a test, Burnett and Liriano back to back.  :-\

hillbilly

Quote from: jrulz83 on May 01, 2015, 09:32:20 am
It is hard to believe this team would have the best record and hasn't lost a series! Crazy to me.
Is it really that crazy? The Cubs are the only team they have played that has a record over .500. Not saying the Cardinals aren't a very good team, but it's not surprising at all that they are playing well against mostly bad teams.

jrulz83

May 01, 2015, 09:55:05 am #338 Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 11:22:40 am by jrulz83
Quote from: hillbilly on May 01, 2015, 09:36:34 am
Is it really that crazy? The Cubs are the only team they have played that has a record over .500. Not saying the Cardinals aren't a very good team, but it's not surprising at all that they are playing well against mostly bad teams.

Buzz Killington

I guess I will quantify my statement. It's not just the fact that they are in first, but it's crazy that notoriously slow starters Holliday and Peralta have gotten off to good starts. Regardless of competition, it's crazy that Matt Carpenter has 14 extra base hits in 21 games. It's crazy how the rotation that I had questions about has performed.

Edit: 17 XBHs in 21 games, I forgot the HRs.

popcornhog

Quote from: hillbilly on May 01, 2015, 09:36:34 am

We've won both series against the Reds. They're a .500 team that would be well over .500 minus their two series losses to the Cards.

But, yeah, overall the schedule has been against teams that have struggled early.
WPS

pigture perfect

I don't think the central is as bad as it appears. We have just beaten up on each other. We will know more when we get out of divisional play.

popcornhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 01, 2015, 11:14:55 am
I don't think the central is as bad as it appears. We have just beaten up on each other. We will know more when we get out of divisional play.

Every team not called the Brewers has a shot in the Central.

The Cubs are dramatically improved and the Pirates and Teds aren't far behind.

You're right about beating up on eachother, except nobody has beat up on the Cards yet.
WPS

popcornhog

Cooney has been sent back to the land of the delta blues.

Miguel Solovich (reliever) has been called up from Memphis.

Pham put on the 60 day DL.
WPS

popcornhog

Burnett (0-1; 1.80 ERA) v Lynn (1-2; 1.56 ERA)

Cards v Pirates 7:15 Central atbBusch Stadium
WPS

McKdaddy

Well done Lance. Bases loaded, 0 outs, and he works out of it w/ 2K's and an infield pop-out.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

popcornhog

Quote from: McKdaddy on May 01, 2015, 08:57:44 pm
Well done Lance. Bases loaded, 0 outs, and he works out of it w/ 2K's and an infield pop-out.

Good/bad inning.

He struggled mightily and gave up the leading run but got out of a jam with no outs and bases loaded to keep it 1-0.

Where it remains headed to 7th.
WPS

popcornhog

Nice win
Last night on a walk off base hit from
big City in the 10th.
WPS

popcornhog

WPS

popcornhog

1:15 start time this afternoon (Central)

Liriano (1-1, 2.22 ERA) v Lackey (1-1, 4.21 ERA) at Busch Stadium.

Of note, Liriano is undefeated with a sub 2 ERA all time in Busch Stadium.

The Cardinals are 16-6 for their best 22 game start since 1944.

WPS

popcornhog

Mccutchen's 2 out base hit puts the first runner on base top 1st.
WPS