Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

More on Arkansas Recruit Armon Bassett:

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, March 20, 2005, 05:48:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Biggus Piggus

Dave Telep does not believe Bassett is going to qualify and will opt for prep school, from which he believes he can draw true high-major interest next year.  That means not us.  I'm sure Stan has a great backup plan to back up this emergency scrambling desperate reach.
[CENSORED]!

The_Bionic_Pig

March 21, 2005, 05:15:32 pm #2 Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 05:22:41 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Quote from: Spamalot on March 21, 2005, 04:52:53 pm
Dave Telep does not believe Bassett is going to qualify and will opt for prep school, from which he believes he can draw true high-major interest next year. That means not us. I'm sure Stan has a great backup plan to back up this emergency scrambling desperate reach.

That very same Dave Telep stated that Brandon Rush would not qualify either a few months back (Nailed that one didn't he)  :-\ but I don't doubt the interest level will in fact pick up if he attends prep school.  Arkansas is said to wanting a verbal committment irreguardless to if he qualifies or not.  Sharaud Curry & Walter Hodge are exceptional unsigned PG's listing Arkansas.  Your "emergency scrambling desperate reach" is a tad bit overstated.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Biggus Piggus

Seriously, the way Telep talks, Bassett is playing us and looking for bigger names.
[CENSORED]!

Jim Harris

Dave Telep does not believe Bassett is going to qualify and will opt for prep school, from which he believes he can draw true high-major interest next year. That means not us. I'm sure Stan has a great backup plan to back up this emergency scrambling desperate reach.

remember when the guru(s) were talking two  years ago about how Heath has recruiting this deep involved plan at recruiting, with all bases covered? This of course was a slam at the supposed non-plan Nolan had. Maybe he had no plan either, but Heath's doesn't look to formidable after the three or so studs tell them and 50 others no. Geez, even Nutt has a Jonathan Barry to fall back on. Oh yeah, we've got Dontell Jefferson.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on March 21, 2005, 05:15:32 pm

That very same Dave Telep stated that Brandon Rush would not qualify either a few months back (Nailed that one didn't he) :-\ but I don't doubt the interest level will in fact pick up if he attends prep school.  Arkansas is said to wanting a verbal committment irreguardless to if he qualifies or not.  Sharaud Curry & Walter Hodge are exceptional unsigned PG's listing Arkansas.  Your "emergency scrambling desperate reach" is a tad bit overstated.
No, he's not overstating it. It figures that our good man Dudley was say "he's Arkansas's to lose," while anybody else involved clearly sees the guy as playing around with Arkansas (and Nebraska, let's not forget that they're getting strung along too) and hoping he can do even better than Xavier.
This guy ain't coming here. Not. Nada. Not gonna do it (voice of George Bush there).
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

The_Bionic_Pig

March 21, 2005, 05:47:15 pm #6 Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 05:49:02 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Quote from: Spamalot on March 21, 2005, 05:27:35 pm
Seriously, the way Telep talks, Bassett is playing us and looking for bigger names.

I don't doubt you one bit my friend, but the fact is Dave Telep is a Huge ACC fan and if a recruit that is nationally reguarded as being elitethat is not considereing (Duke, Wake, NC etc... He will either say they are OVER-RATED or WON'T QUALIFY  if their is some question about said recruits he will always show his bias unless it is obvious that their are facts that would cancel his opinionated arguements.   All you have to do is pay attention to these free/premium articles by certain guru's (Our included) and you can see the bias in ooodles toward either a particular school or conference.   Its like trying to get Dickie V to not favor Duke in every game for the next 20yrs...lol
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

March 21, 2005, 05:53:30 pm #7 Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 05:56:09 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie

No, he's not overstating it. It figures that our good man Dudley was say "he's Arkansas's to lose," while anybody else involved clearly sees the guy as playing around with Arkansas (and Nebraska, let's not forget that they're getting strung along too) and hoping he can do even better than Xavier.
This guy ain't coming here. Not. Nada. Not gonna do it (voice of George Bush there).

And where might I ask are you getting this very, very inside information from Drake ??? I mostly rely on a players hometown newspaper which is normally unbiased and said recruit feels no pressure due to not being interviewed by a writer with ties to a particular program.  In this case I base my arguement's on Tribune-Star.com of Terre Haute, Indiana not he say - she say. (Voice of Stewie Griffin) future Evil World Leader....& Lois eliminator  ;)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Biggus Piggus

Dave does not favor anybody, and if you ask him he will tell you what he hears AND what he thinks.

I have talked DIRECTLY with the writers in Terre Haute, and they do not hear about us, period, Stewie.  They don't.  And they also think it would be a surprise if he qualifies.  Nobody recruited him because they didn't think he had even a prayer, but sometimes the need for a splashy cosmetic patch on a weak recruiting class produces temporary transcript miracles.
[CENSORED]!

DirkPiggler

Quote from: Spamalot on March 21, 2005, 07:52:10 pm
Dave does not favor anybody, and if you ask him he will tell you what he hears AND what he thinks.

I have talked DIRECTLY with the writers in Terre Haute, and they do not hear about us, period, Stewie. They don't. And they also think it would be a surprise if he qualifies. Nobody recruited him because they didn't think he had even a prayer, but sometimes the need for a splashy cosmetic patch on a weak recruiting class produces temporary transcript miracles.

What choice do we have right now?  It's obvious that we need true guards, point or otherwise (it's been obvious for a while to some).  Might as well take a stab at the best one available, even it it's a longshot.  Most of what is available right now is Kendrick Davis/ Eric Ferguson material.  Would it really help to add someone of that ability?

Heath's gotten himself into a bind here, and his only option is to throw darn against the wall and see if any sticks.  It's not a great option, but it's better than standing pat at this point.
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

return2glory

Stewie,

What's the latest on Rekalin Sims? How did his season end up? He sounded like he might be a good pick up.

I know a lot of people are getting pretty frustrated with Heath (drastic understatement), but I still think the guy could end up being a pretty good coach. I kind of want him to stick around. All that being said, I think he needs to bring in a juco guy or two or another recruit with this class. If he doesn't he could be in serious trouble after next year.

Biggus Piggus

March 26, 2005, 08:51:43 pm #11 Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 02:21:09 pm by Spamalot
Hey Stewie, what do you have to say about Bassett now?  He's going to prep school hoping that he can sign with somebody really impressive next November, rather than try for a longshot at getting eligible this spring.  He was not impressed with us.  Of course he never got to visit and enjoy our terrific team chemistry.

Good lord, Heath's in a mad scramble trying to find a juco guard.  Why the hell didn't he start, say, back when the rest of the world could see how weak we are in guards compared with the rest of the SEC?  We're giving him a chance to do what?  Magically create guards out of thin air?  This is going to be a long spiral down.
[CENSORED]!

DirkPiggler

Quote from: Spamalot on March 26, 2005, 08:51:43 pm
Hey Stewie, what do you have to say about Bassett now? He's going to prep school hoping that he can sign with somebody really impressive next November, rather than scramble for a longshot at getting eligible this spring. He was not impressed with us. Of course he never got to visit and enjoy our terrific team chemistry.

Good lord, Heath's in a mad scramble trying to find a juco guard. Why the hell didn't he start, say, back when the rest of the world could see how weak we are in guards compared with the rest of the SEC? We're giving him a chance to do what? Magically create guards out of thin air? This is going to be a long spiral down.

Guess the darn didn't stick.  Let's see how much more he slings.

Oh well, if nothing sticks, at least the spiral won't last any more than another year.  Then we get to start all over again.  Kind of reminds me of Razorback football from '90- '97.

"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

Biggus Piggus

The mad scramble continues.  The best juco prospect they stumbled onto can't transfer to an SEC school.
[CENSORED]!

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: DirkPiggler on March 28, 2005, 08:46:21 am
Oh well, if nothing sticks, at least the spiral won't last any more than another year. Then we get to start all over again. Kind of reminds me of Razorback football from '90- '97.

good grief, guys.... can y'all please stop acting like SH was supposed to be the greatest coach ever that didn't pan out?  he's a young coach who's done, IMO, an excellent job of rebuilding our program.  yes, we had our struggles this year but we don't have that solid of a foundation just yet.

I've got a couple of issues with all of the Heath-bashers that have surfaced since about half way through this season.  one, any coach in america starting a program from nothing has to have sufficient time to get his foundation in place.  he's obviously already got his recruiting plan in place and has done an excellent job of recruiting to an area that he had no prior knowledge of. 
two, how do we let something that a player says about our coach make us automatically think that the coach is what's wrong with the program?  I know that SH inherited nolan's players and that they didn't fit his system, so of course there's going to be some differences.  but they all had every opportunity to transfer if they didn't like what was coming in.  yes, a program's lifeblood is it's players and you've got to do what you can to keep them happy so that you can continue to attract top quality players to your school, but this isn't the NBA where a superstar can not like how their coach is making them run extra sprints for being late and threaten to request a trade if the coach isn't fired.  these players don't have that kind of pull, nor should they, in the college game (or the NBA for that matter).  they commit to a school because of the coaches and the program so it's their own damn fault if they don't like the way the coach does his job.

we struggled this year because we were inexperienced and couldn't consistently shoot the deep ball.  we're athletic as all get out but you've got to put the ball in the basket... that's the name of the game.  anyways, give SH the benefit of the doubt over a player or two who's not happy.  I don't think anybody was happy with losing this year.  SH has done a good job and will continue to improve this team if y'all will hold off and give him the chance.
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Biggus Piggus

Inexperience was not the problem this season.  A lack of guards was the main problem.  The team fell apart because Heath had a plan that asked too much of the wrong players + backseated his best pure scorer.  The issue beyond these is how the team surrendered (in most SEC road games and at worst in the last two games) rather than keep fighting.  The terrible defensive stats in SEC play = direct indicators of effort and team play.  The only team Heath has had that defended even halfway OK in the SEC was his first one, populated with players who learned effort from Nolan.  Heath taught them a completely different approach to defense, and they did OK because they played so hard.  All the D-minded players exited, and Heath has put few back in.  I don't believe he can take his O-minded players and make them play D.  I think he has to recruit guys (like McGowan) who love it.
[CENSORED]!