Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

California Running Back Impressed With Arkansas

Started by Hogstradamus, March 08, 2005, 07:02:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogstradamus

Click Here

Woodland Hills Taft tailback Shelton Banks, 5-10, 184 pounds, 4.41 seconds in the 40-yard dash, is looking hard at Arkansas, California, Southern California, Auburn and Oregon. As a junior this season, Banks rushed for 354 yards and 2 touchdowns on 59 carries and also caught 26 passes for 162 yards and 3 more touchdowns. On defense, he made two interceptions. "I have just always liked Arkansas," Banks said. "I have relatives in Little Rock as well as in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. Distance to Arkansas won't be a problem since I have relatives all over the South."
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."  -- Lou Holtz

"If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, then we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games." -- Paul Bear Bryant

Boared

I can't remember the last time the U of A had a recruit from CA (Vinnett is originally from my state, LA, and only went to a JC in CA). I know everyone here wants the instate kids to get the offers first, but it's nice seeing some signs of some kind of national recruiting program going on. If we can start to tap into CA somehow, it could bring a lot of good players this way.

SonOfMud

Quote from: Boared on March 08, 2005, 04:01:06 pm
If we can start to tap into CA somehow, it could bring a lot of good players this way.

Won't happen.  To far away, family won't get to see them play, not in the PAC-10. 
"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

CarolinaHog1176

Won't happen. To far away, family won't get to see them play, not in the PAC-10.

sooo, what about all of the programs that DO have recruits from all over the place?  should they not be there because it's too far from home?
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

SonOfMud

Quote from: CarolinaHog1176 on March 09, 2005, 12:53:17 pm
Won't happen. To far away, family won't get to see them play, not in the PAC-10.

sooo, what about all of the programs that DO have recruits from all over the place? should they not be there because it's too far from home?

Nice use of the quote feature.

And to answer your question.  They are generally big time programs.  Arkansas is not a big time program.  Tennessee pulls in players from all over the country, so does Florida, Miami, and USC.  Do you see the point I am making?  Arkansas may get that one player from Cali(has family in AR), but no pipeline will be created. 
"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

Jim Harris

Quote from: SonOfMud on March 09, 2005, 12:57:13 pm

sooo, what about all of the programs that DO have recruits from all over the place? should they not be there because it's too far from home?

Arkansas is not a big time program. 

Then why does everyone bitch on here and the other boards like we ARE a big-time program? If that's the case, let's just get our small-time ass out of the SEC, starting playing TCU and those guys in Conference-USA?

You know, I grew up at a time that people from coast to coast did recognize Arkansas as a big-time program.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

CarolinaHog1176

Then why does everyone bitch on here and the other boards like we ARE a big-time program? If that's the case, let's just get our small-time ass out of the SEC, starting playing TCU and those guys in Conference-USA?

applaud to the highest degree
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Boared

In order to be recognized as big-time (and as of right now we're considered mediocre at best by SEC standards just a spoiler team by those outside the conference--my take anyway), you have to build a national recruiting program and I think recruiting this kid is a step in that direction (if he's as good as they think he is). I liked that we got kids out of WI, FL, and GA this year. You can't just rely on AR and TX and the occasional kid from LA that LSU didn't get/want.

SonOfMud

Quote from: drakehog on March 09, 2005, 02:01:12 pm

You know, I grew up at a time that people from coast to coast did recognize Arkansas as a big-time program.

And there in is the problem.  Both you and I want Arkansas to be a big time program.  And some of the Hog fans out there grew up with the Hogs being a top ten team. On the level of Michigan, Texas, Miami, FSU, Florida, and USC.  But outside of Arkansas no one views the Hogs that way anymore.  Just a matter of fact.  Recruits don't think of Arkansas in the same breath as those teams.  Not to say that it can't be that way again, look at what Ferentz did.  It all starts with the coach.  Have Nutt string 3 nine win seasons together and you will get the media's attention.  Every year there flash in the pan teams.  You have to string those nine or 10 win seasons together. 

Why does everyone moan and complain like the Hogs are big time, because the Hogs were there once and now the Hogs are very close to being there again.  So the moaning is getting louder.

gatecrasher

Quote from: SonOfMud on March 09, 2005, 12:57:13 pm

Nice use of the quote feature.

And to answer your question.  They are generally big time programs.  Arkansas is not a big time program.  Tennessee pulls in players from all over the country, so does Florida, Miami, and USC.  Do you see the point I am making?  Arkansas may get that one player from Cali(has family in AR), but no pipeline will be created. 
Florida State wasn't a big time program when Bowden took over either.

tophawg19

you build a building 1 brick at a time . you build a top 10 team a few great players at a  time . but you can also kill  it by dumb coaching  and poor recruiting . lets hope this i'snt our problem .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The_Bionic_Pig

March 09, 2005, 07:32:19 pm #11 Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 07:40:46 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Quote from: tophawg19 on March 09, 2005, 06:14:20 pm
you build a building 1 brick at a time . you build a top 10 team a few great players at a time . but you can also kill it by dumb coaching and poor recruiting . lets hope this isn't our problem .

Everyone will have their differing opinion's re guarding the coaching being done on the football field but their should be no question that in the area of recruiting they have gotten better at persue-ing athletes that will be on campus this fall instead of having a STUD select you after most major  programs abandon him because he is as strong as a concrete wall with a brain to match.  In my opinion Rivals & Scout should re-evaluate their rankings according to prospects who actually make it on campus rather than just put them in one category knowing they will be getting their first start on the playing field with a team in the Jayhawk conference (JUCO ranks) 

Remember Arkansas could have gotten & signed another 5 STAR players to bolster its recruiting rankings but he would not have been on a future Hog roster. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

tophawg19

i agree scout &rivals will not rate an ark. kid as high as one from texas or the other 4 big states .also how do you rate kids you didn't see  kind of puts a slant on the system they use . however a better system is just to look and see which teams you had to beat .we need to expand our recruiting area but our recruiting budget is smaller than most big schools because we are self supported. one  of very few.

Boared

I don't see why our recruiting budget would be that small since we're the flagship school in the state (and therefore have no instate competition except when TN comes in) and have built all of these state-of-the art facilities. It doesn't make sense not to spend the $ to recruit when you have the facilties to compete with the larger schools.

tophawg19

our total budget is about half tennesee we don't get help from the university like most other schools do .most comes from the hogs foundation .fans are where most of it comes the rest comes from gate & concession money .good thing ark. has great fans and as you said it kind of is the only major school .fans come from all over unlike most states

Boared

I'm sure John White is gleefully diverting a portion of that revenue to the Gymbacks, which is his pet sport.

SonOfMud

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 09, 2005, 09:04:08 pm
i agree scout &rivals will not rate an ark. kid as high as one from texas or the other 4 big states .

Not quite sold on this idea.  When the talent is there, they get noticed.  Just ask Cobbs, S. Andrews, McFadden, Cedric Houston, Bledsoe, Hillis, and the kids at Springdale this year.  They were or are all highly ranked kids.  I do think the talent level in state is on the rise. 

Jim Harris

Quote from: SonOfMud on March 10, 2005, 09:20:18 am
Quote from: tophawg19 on March 09, 2005, 09:04:08 pm
i agree scout &rivals will not rate an ark. kid as high as one from texas or the other 4 big states .

Not quite sold on this idea. When the talent is there, they get noticed. Just ask Cobbs, S. Andrews, McFadden, Cedric Houston, Bledsoe, Hillis, and the kids at Springdale this year. They were or are all highly ranked kids. I do think the talent level in state is on the rise.

yeah, the whole reason Joey Crossland is a 2 star is because he's from Russellville, AR. If it were Russellville, Ala., he'd be 5-star, easy. ;D
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

tophawg19

hey; the gym;backs are at least competive unlike the team i just watched  play tenn. .16minutes 0 baskets is this possible in d.1 ball .where is sammy munsey he couldn't play worse than that . 44 pts in a game doesn't win no matter what conference you play in .the t.v  guys were kind after the game .s.heath doesn;t know how to fix the problem .you could see that in his expressions during the game .this team must work more on shooting .too many 10 ft. and in misses .

Boared

Yeah, I know-- BB makes me cringe and has become an embarrassment. Never thought the day would come in basketball where I would be thinking,"Hey, at least we're not Ole Miss." 

Does anyone here know how the recruiting budget is determined for football? Obviously the better SEC programs are the largest schools, w/ the exception of SC. We're tiny compared to LSU, UGA, UF, and TN.  I noticed you mentioned in another post, tophawg, that we don't get help from the university like other schools do--why would this be the case?

tophawg19

we are one of the few self supported schools . the state doesn't give money but still retains some input but i don't think it's as much as  in most schools . chuck dicus talked about it on drive time . i guess it comes down to control. state money would help budget but fans money makes our team go . fans need more input . hear me frank b.

tophawg19

also the way we shoot we may be called new miss .

Boared

I didn't realize that was where he was from. Is he still w/ the Cowboys?