Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Case for Venables over Norvell (Defensive Guru over Offensive Guru)

Started by Batesville Hogfan, November 27, 2017, 08:49:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Batesville Hogfan

Venables has been around a lot of good offensive coaches at OU and Clemson.  He'll have no problem finding an "Offensive Guru" to handle the offense.  He or one of his underlings will coordinate the defense and we'll have the potential for both a good O and D.  With Norvell, we'll have a good offense but just like programs like Texas Tech or West Virginia, we'll have 500 yards total offense per game and win 7 games a year.

root_hawg

Plus Venable has some experience recruiting on large program scale

checkraiser88

I think in order to have a good defense in the SEC you need the right athletes...Offense that's a different story, with the right scheme we could kill teams with little talent

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Batesville Hogfan on November 27, 2017, 08:49:23 pm
Venables has been around a lot of good offensive coaches at OU and Clemson.  He'll have no problem finding an "Offensive Guru" to handle the offense.  He or one of his underlings will coordinate the defense and we'll have the potential for both a good O and D.  With Norvell, we'll have a good offense but just like programs like Texas Tech or West Virginia, we'll have 500 yards total offense per game and win 7 games a year.

Won't get any argument from me. I think Venables would be a fine coach. Just wonder if he has interest in the job.
This is my non-signature signature.

rbb1991

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 27, 2017, 09:05:50 pm
Won't get any argument from me. I think Venables would be a fine coach. Just wonder if he has interest in the job.
That is my concern. Is he holding out for the Clemson job when Dabo goes to Alabama?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: rbb1991 on November 27, 2017, 09:34:27 pm
That is my concern. Is he holding out for the Clemson job when Dabo goes to Alabama?

Lol.

No, Clemson will go out and hire another recruiter.

That's what they did with Dabo. He got the job because Terry Don knew that Xs & Os will only get you so far without the talent to make unbelievable plays.

Dabo was just the WR coach, but one of the best recruiters in the country, probably the best in that region. They gave him the resources to surround himself with good recruiters and when he scored Venables, it all came together.

Tuberville was right. Hire a recruiter and fill the staff with recruiters. The team with the better players almost always wins.

Pork Twain

Offensive guru in a conference that plays absolutely no defense vs a defensive guru that has done so against the best in the nation
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Ragnar Hogbrok

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 27, 2017, 09:38:57 pm
Lol.

No, Clemson will go out and hire another recruiter.

That's what they did with Dabo. He got the job because Terry Don knew that Xs & Os will only get you so far without the talent to make unbelievable plays.

Dabo was just the WR coach, but one of the best recruiters in the country, probably the best in that region. They gave him the resources to surround himself with good recruiters and when he scored Venables, it all came together.

Tuberville was right. Hire a recruiter and fill the staff with recruiters. The team with the better players almost always wins.
Exactly.   Clemson was a good program but Swinney brought them to the next level not because he is a great scheme guy  but because he is a great recruiter and hired more great recruiters including Venables. 

Torqued pork

Quote from: The Chief on November 27, 2017, 10:51:58 pm
One has to score points to win in today's game.
And without some semblance of a defense you can score 40 points or more and still lose. I'm freakin sick of a pillowy soft defense.

PigInTheHole

12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 27, 2017, 10:56:09 pm
And without some semblance of a defense you can score 40 points or more and still lose.

Very true. That's why I hope it's Norvell Ann's he gets an awesome DC.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Pig in the Pokey

May I point out that one hasnt even ever been a head coach?

I like him though. At this point, we cant go wrong really. Norvell, Kiffin, Gus, Venables, Leach. ALL of these names are better than Nutt or Bielema or even Petrino. We gonna be fine.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

HogCzar1

And you think Venables can win 10 a year here?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 27, 2017, 10:55:57 pm
Exactly.   Clemson was a good program but Swinney brought them to the next level not because he is a great scheme guy  but because he is a great recruiter and hired more great recruiters including Venables.

The best possible scenario, whether some of you believe it or not would probably be Tim Horton as AD and Gus Malzahn, who has brought in classes better than anything we've had in recent memory.

Their reputation as recruiters and winners is better than anything we've had in years.

Hawg414

If Venables can run the defense and hire an effective OC to run the offense, why can't Norvell run the offense and hire an effective DC to run the defense?

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hawg414 on November 28, 2017, 01:52:25 am
If Venables can run the defense and hire an effective OC to run the offense, why can't Norvell run the offense and hire an effective DC to run the defense?
Why hasn't he already done so?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Hawg414

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 28, 2017, 02:21:33 am
Why hasn't he already done so?

i think its fair to assume he can attract a bit better coaching talent at UA than he can at memphis.  kevin steele, john chavis, brent venables, etc... none of those caliber guys are going to join him at memphis.

goodguytex

Whoever we hire as HC, if I'm looking for a new DC, I'm calling John chavis first. Maybe even sweeten the deal with Chavis by bringing back the defensive coach he worked with at Tennessee that was at Arkansas during the last 2 years of Petrino.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hawg414 on November 28, 2017, 02:37:52 am
i think its fair to assume he can attract a bit better coaching talent at UA than he can at memphis.  kevin steele, john chavis, brent venables, etc... none of those caliber guys are going to join him at memphis.
But why is he still unable to even field a respectable defense at Memphis.  You would think that in a conference not known for defense, actually having one would really set you apart.

Torqued pork

Quote from: Hawg414 on November 28, 2017, 02:37:52 am
Or he he could bring most of his Memphis staff which could be overmatched and overwhelmed in the SEC. It's a real possibility regardless of how we try to spin it.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 28, 2017, 03:44:49 am
Or he he could bring most of his Memphis staff which could be overmatched and overwhelmed in the SEC. It's a real possibility regardless of how we try to spin it.
I think that is what kinda concerns me.  I am having MSM flashbacks

lilRockNDubb

Plenty of SEC caliber DC's available. I can think of 2 in Florida.. 1 in Texas..

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The Chief on November 27, 2017, 10:51:58 pm
One has to score points to win in today's game.

One needs to stop the other team from scoring to win in todays game.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SquidBilly

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 28, 2017, 03:34:13 am
But why is he still unable to even field a respectable defense at Memphis.  You would think that in a conference not known for defense, actually having one would really set you apart.

Because he doesn't need to.  His defense at Memphis is designed around getting takeaways to provide his offense more posessions.  And it works.  You don't get to 11-1 by accident.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HogCzar1

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 28, 2017, 03:34:13 am

Why isn't fielding a top 20 team at Memphis known as something that sets him apart?

#1 STUNNA