Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBS reporting Venables and Norvell emerging.

Started by rhog1, November 26, 2017, 02:39:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rhog1

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/brent-venables-mike-norvell-emerging-as-candidates-at-arkansas/
Influential members of the Arkansas brain trust are interested in Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables and Memphis coach Mike Norvell as candidates to fill the coaching vacancy with the Razorbacks, sources familiar with the discussions tell CBS Sports. Arkansas fired Bret Bielema immediately following Friday's 48-45 loss to Missouri in Fayetteville.

I could get behind either of these coaches.

Boardon Hamsay

Venables would be a great hire, IMO. Norvell would be more of a gamblers hire but would provide an exciting offense for the portion of our fan base that begs to be "entertained".
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

HawgTide

Quote from: rhog1 on November 26, 2017, 02:39:55 pm
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/brent-venables-mike-norvell-emerging-as-candidates-at-arkansas/
Influential members of the Arkansas brain trust are interested in Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables and Memphis coach Mike Norvell as candidates to fill the coaching vacancy with the Razorbacks, sources familiar with the discussions tell CBS Sports. Arkansas fired Bret Bielema immediately following Friday's 48-45 loss to Missouri in Fayetteville.

I could get behind either of these coaches.

I would be extremely happy with either Norvell or Venables

jst01

The Hawg Marshal

Rumors and sources come at you so fast that it just messes you up.

checkraiser88

FAKE NEWS! Hogville sources say Norvell is out  8)

JONAS

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 26, 2017, 02:43:25 pm

Yep.  Thought Norvell had a gambling problem, and nobody wanted him.

Großer Kriegschwein

Yes.

Hire RECRUITERS as assistants. Spread the field with a HUNH.

Approved.
This is my non-signature signature.

Ham Ham Pigelow

I would hope Venables could bring Tony Elliott with him.  Currently Clemson's Co-OC.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 26, 2017, 02:43:25 pm

The rumor and source situation is always fluid.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: checkraiser88 on November 26, 2017, 02:43:38 pm
he isnt out, i told ya'll that is a ole miss rumor.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

TX HOG

I have a feeling Venables gets offered the job for 3 reasons
1. Can recruit
2. Safe hire. By safe I mean clean record and proven DC
3. Can coach

Hog Milanese

Venables has zero Arkansas connections, right?

TeufelHog

So we're not willing to entertain waiting for a shot at Gus after the remainder of the college football season plays out (possible CFP), but we are for Venables from Clemson.  Interesting.

Boardon Hamsay

RockyMtnHog

I do not think that any names have been ruled out.  There is a preferred list and both of these coaches will be on it until the primary preferred accepts which may have already happened.  I do not see any new news to come out until next weekend.

There is a Mt. Everest amount of speculation going on.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Hog Milanese on November 26, 2017, 02:50:25 pm

He interviewed in 2012 and met some of the PTB when he won the Broyles Award. He's not from Arkansas but is from this region of the country, being from Kansas and a KState grad.

PLAYBOAR

Win/Win.   Yes to either.  Totally opposite in expertise, however.

Gimme.  :)
Hey Ref, does your wife know you're screwing us?

clutch

pioneerhog

My question on Venables is for how long he has been considered a top assistant in line for a coaching job why hasn't anyone hired him? It seems like for 10+ years I have been hearing that he is a top DC to move up yet he has never been hired. Why is this? Is there a problem there that none of us know about but the PTB at schools see it?

Dwillhog66

Quote from: TeufelHog on November 26, 2017, 02:52:35 pm
So we're not willing to entertain waiting for a shot at Gus after the remainder of the college football season plays out (possible CFP), but we are for Venables from Clemson.  Interesting.

I would think BV would not stay with Clemson for the playoff if he is named a head coach. Much different situation than a HC being offered.

Gonzo

I have wondered if Venables really wants to be a HC since it seems he would have had several good opportunities over the last decade or so, but if he's actually a legit option for the Hogs, he might be my first choice of anyone mentioned to this point.

Go Hogs!

old_school_hawg

Quote from: checkraiser88 on November 26, 2017, 02:43:38 pm

Lol.... Bring on Venables, then! The more I read, the more I like!
"I tried being reasonable. I didn't like it."-Clint Eastwood

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Hog Milanese on November 26, 2017, 02:50:25 pm

Let's not pretend Norvell's ties are to the UA.  His wife is from Fort Smith. He went to UCA. That's not exactly a Razorback legacy. From what we know Venables has had more contact with The Hill than Norvell.

rzrbackramsfan

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: old_school_hawg on November 26, 2017, 03:03:41 pm
Lol.... Bring on Venables, then! The more I read, the more I like!

He's a very good coach. High energy.

I hope we can lure him from Clemson and he becomes the modern JFB.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: pioneerhog on November 26, 2017, 03:01:49 pm
My question on Venables is for how long he has been considered a top assistant in line for a coaching job why hasn't anyone hired him? It seems like for 10+ years I have been hearing that he is a top DC to move up yet he has never been hired. Why is this? Is there a problem there that none of us know about but the PTB at schools see it?

I think it's more Venables' style that's kept him at Clemson. The guy has a simplistic yet intense personality. Football. Defense. Family. I think he in some ways doesn't necessarily welcome the comparative complexity of being a HC. I would love to see him here but to get him, we've got to sell him on a long term deal and having a family environment. Don't know that our seemingly cyclical internal power struggles provide that.

Hog Milanese

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 26, 2017, 03:04:27 pm
Let's not pretend Norvell's ties are to the UA.  His wife is from Fort Smith. He went to UCA. That's not exactly a Razorback legacy. From what we know Venables has had more contact with The Hill than Norvell.

I'm from Fort Smith. I know lots of people that went to UCA. And we're all die-hard Razorback fans. It's Arkansas.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: pioneerhog on November 26, 2017, 03:01:49 pm

Explains it pretty well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/brent-venables-is-overqualified-so-why-isnt-clemsons-defensive-boss-a-head-coach/amp/

SooieGeneris

Quote from: TX HOG on November 26, 2017, 02:47:10 pm
I have a feeling Venables gets offered the job for 3 reasons
1. Can recruit
2. Safe hire. By safe I mean clean record and proven DC
3. Can coach

If Venables is such a "safe hire" why has his name been mentioned as a HC for the last 15 years, but no one else has hired him?
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

TX HOG

Quote from: SooieGeneris on November 26, 2017, 03:10:11 pm
If Venables is such a "safe hire" why has his name been mentioned as a HC for the last 15 years, but no one else has hired him?

I have wondered that myself. But he is a safe hire due to the reasons I mentioned

mweston

Take everything you hear with a grain of salt during this time of year.  Some of the news could be smoke screens and gamesmanship.  It wouldn't surprise me if someone "leaked" bad information about Norvelle to prevent other teams from looking at him.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 26, 2017, 02:56:06 pm
He interviewed in 2012 and met some of the PTB when he won the Broyles Award. He's not from Arkansas but is from this region of the country, being from Kansas and a KState grad.

Why was he not hired then, did he break Bazzel's mirror or some such egregious act?
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

TX HOG

I have a feeling he's enjoyed being a DC and being paid very well. I really don't know

Großer Kriegschwein

I just showed my wife a video of Brent on the sideline, with that dude pulling him back to keep him off the field, and she says "oh yeah, I like that guy, he is always so focused."

The ole lady approves.

And yes, she knows who Daniel Tosh/Joey Freshwater is.

Hire him yesterday.

TexasHog

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Hog Milanese on November 26, 2017, 03:08:41 pm
I'm from Fort Smith. I know lots of people that went to UCA. And we're all die-hard Razorback fans. It's Arkansas.

Norvell is from Texas. And look, I'm not trying to tear Norvell down. He's just farther down my list. But calling him an "Arkansas Guy" to move him up the list is a stretch.

JONAS

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 26, 2017, 03:17:24 pm
Norvell is from Texas. And look, I'm not trying to tear Norvell down. He's just farther down my list. But calling him an "Arkansas Guy" to move him up the list is a stretch.

Per Otis Kirk, Norvell is no longer a candidate.

Hog Milanese

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 26, 2017, 03:17:24 pm

I'm not saying he's an Arkansas guy, either. Was just responding to the response. My point is: Venables has no Arkansas ties. Are we good with that? I think we could or should be, if he can recruit and coach in the SEC. But the fact remains, he never has. So why say we want an Arkansas guy with SEC experience, and then hire Venables?

3kgthog

Guys that don't necessarily want to be head coaches can lessen much of that responsibility by hiring great assistants and turning them loose.

goodguytex

Venables and Campbell are my 2 realistic favorites. I'll be very happy with either. And I think either 1 would fit in really great in the community.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Gonzo on November 26, 2017, 03:03:33 pm
I have wondered if Venables really wants to be a HC since it seems he would have had several good opportunities over the last decade or so, but if he's actually a legit option for the Hogs, he might be my first choice of anyone mentioned to this point.

Go Hogs!
When Venables was at OU he was listed as Co-DC from 1999 to 2003 with Mike Stoops.  When Stoops left for Arizona in 2004,  Venables was became the sole DC.  Many assumed he was the heir apparent to Stoops.  After Mike was fired from Arizona following the 2011 season, Bob hired him back at OU with the intention of having Co-coordinators again.  Venables left and took the Clemson job.  I think that had Mike not returned to OU, Venables would have stayed and would now be the head coach at OU. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

JONAS

Sivad

I like Venables paper record as an assistant but something seems amiss with him never being a head coach for so long.

Sivad

Hogwild

Venables would be a solid hire, lots of upside

GoHogs1091

Venables has a Nick Sabanesque level of attention to detail (except Venables kept Auburn to just 6 points, Saban kept Auburn to 26 points).  Here is a 2016 article that talks about Venables' attention to detail.

The following link to the article on the Tulsa World site doesn't have the entire article, but it has a picture of Venables.  You can see his intensity in the picture.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/brent-venables-attention-to-detail-secret-to-success-for-clemson/article_bdfd3efa-6827-5773-97b3-8c08fc986d9f.html

Here is a link to the entire article.

http://www.postandcourier.com/archives/venables-attention-to-detail-secret-to-success-for-clemson-defense/article_7ef21d10-4230-528f-b4ca-78c8a5b67a94.html

Dr. Starcs

MissippHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 26, 2017, 02:46:47 pm
he isnt out, i told ya'll that is a ole miss rumor.
You told us Leach was a done deal, so there's that.