Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whats up with the infatuation with McCurdy?

Started by SiriusHog™, February 05, 2006, 12:20:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

Give McCurdy DJ's minutes and see what happens- the difference would be positive. McCurdy may make a few mistakes (freshman), but in the long run he would be a difference maker. How can anyone deny the overall talent of a player when he has not been give a REAL chance? Why play with a PG who has reached a below average potential and let a potential star sit on the bench. Who knows till we really give it a shot.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Boarcephus

Quote from: bigred7987 on February 05, 2006, 03:15:38 pm
Jefferson missed the one and one that would have sealed the Bama game...dont talk about hitting FT's

Amen, you beat me to it.  Not only did he miss the FT, he demanded the ball on the inbounds pass knowing he would be fouled.   He flat cannot shoot, anything.  I still think Sean deserves the chance to show what he can do.   He's the only true PG on the squad who looks like he's a natural for that position.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

jkstock04

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 05, 2006, 03:38:21 pm
Quote from: bigred7987 on February 05, 2006, 03:15:38 pm
Jefferson missed the one and one that would have sealed the Bama game...dont talk about hitting FT's

Amen, you beat me to it.  Not only did he miss the FT, he demanded the ball on the inbounds pass knowing he would be fouled.   He flat cannot shoot, anything.  I still think Sean deserves the chance to show what he can do.   He's the only true PG on the squad who looks like he's a natural for that position.
What was he doing in the game at that time anyways!!!  Stan knew they were gonna foul whoever got the ball...do we really want Jefferson shooting game winning or (in that case game losing ) free throws!!??  I know I dont.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jj202020

If you know basketball at all, then you don't ask that question.  The question should be "why does McCurdy not play 35 min/game.  

WATCH McCurdy play.  The defense is never allowed to get comfortable when he is allowed to handle the ball.  The defense is ALWAYS on it's heels when McCurdy has the ball and isn't forced to burn clock.  He, along with Brewer (and Townes to a lesser degree) are the only Razorbakcs able to put pressure on the defense.  He cause the off-side defenders to sag back (what a point gaurd is supposed to do) and this opens the floor up for all the other players.  The "standing around" is because we have 2 point gaurds (Jefferson and Ferguson) who don't pressure the defense enough.  McCurdy will turn the ball over some as long as he is getting so few minutes.  But when he is in the game, the floor suddenly opens up--and when he doen't turn the ball over, they score.  The more reps he gets, the more effecient he will become.

Not to mention, he's the best shooter on the team.............

berryhog

I don't necessarily consider myself to be infatuated with McCurdy.  I think Ferguson is our best option.  However, I would like to see McCurdy receive more minutes.  I can't speak for others, but from what relatively few moments I have seen him play he is no worse than Jefferson.  I know some will throw out the lack of defense by McCurdy, but how many times have you seen Jefferson buckle down and stop someone one on one ?  Again, from the few times I have been able to see them play, Jefferson is definitely no defensive stopper.  Maybe both could have significant roles on this team.  I know I just get tired of watching mistakes out of a senior that you would expect out of a freshman.  If we are going to have to live with the mistakes, why not at least give McCurdy some experience that will help in the future ?

Sonofahog

No Mccurdy shouldn't start.  Yes Mccurdy should get more playing time as should Mcgowan.  I am not infatuated with him, or any other player on the team.  Nor do I care if they are white or black.  The whole point is that all of them need game experience. 

Most of us have a problem in that Stan Heath says they will get more playing time,  and then they don't.   

Do you "note that"  Master?
Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

TDHog

"No Mccurdy hasn't really gotten a chance to show us what he can do in a game, but he has had plenty of chances to show Heath what he can do in practice"

This talk of McCurdy not practicing well comes from where?  According to Heaths own quote "Sean has proven in practice and in games he deserves more PT"  That is the only FACT I have seen on the subject. 

I am not for starting him, but he needs more PT, I think we all know even if we don't admit it that we will not win a big game with  Jefferson at the point.  Ferguson had more turnovers than points or assists yesterday against a weak SC team.

Everyone needs to read the posts talking about McCurdy pressuring a defense and how he actually QB's the team, it is nice to see posts from someone who actually goes to a game and understands there are much more to sports than stat sheets, this isn't playstation.  This junk about him lacking confidence is bull, anyone who has been at the game can tell that.  My biggest problem is that several times we have had very large leads in the second half such as yesterday with 3-4 mins left to play and no McCurdy, no McGowan, you talk all week about spots being up for grabs and then give no chance to two of the most talented/least experienced players.  Heath is getting the "calling Wolf once to often" tag, and I can't imagine a player likes constantly being told to be ready and then get 1 min/game.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

McCurdy hasn't done anything to prove us wrong about him yet, DJ makes silly mistakes every game that frustrate the heck out of us.  It might be that SM is still worse than DJ- we don't know, we haven't been given that chance to find out.

hogstorm

Quote from: WarRazorbacks on February 05, 2006, 12:20:30 pm
I'm not saying he's a bad player, but whats with the obsession?  some of you act like he's the second coming of Lee Mayberry.. i havent seen anything from him that makes me think he's the next jason kidd... he hit a half court shot and a couple of threes.....thats all i can remember from him.. i get frustrated with dontell just like you guys do, but i've gotten pissed at mccurdy too at times... i want mccurdy to get some minutes because he probably is the future PG of the team.. but i'm just not ready to christen him the next john stockton like a lot of people seem to be... 

Lets not forget about the best point guard on campus - GARY ERVIN - He will be the starter for the next two years. (he does have just two right?)  McCurdy might deserve more playing time right now b/c of Jefferson's inability to do anything, but he is not the future.  Sure he **MIGHT** be a decent player someday but i havent seen anything to warrant this much discussion on him. 

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: hogstorm on February 05, 2006, 07:37:38 pm
Quote from: WarRazorbacks on February 05, 2006, 12:20:30 pm
I'm not saying he's a bad player, but whats with the obsession?  some of you act like he's the second coming of Lee Mayberry.. i havent seen anything from him that makes me think he's the next jason kidd... he hit a half court shot and a couple of threes.....thats all i can remember from him.. i get frustrated with dontell just like you guys do, but i've gotten pissed at mccurdy too at times... i want mccurdy to get some minutes because he probably is the future PG of the team.. but i'm just not ready to christen him the next john stockton like a lot of people seem to be... 

Lets not forget about the best point guard on campus - GARY ERVIN - He will be the starter for the next two years. (he does have just two right?)  McCurdy might deserve more playing time right now b/c of Jefferson's inability to do anything, but he is not the future.  Sure he **MIGHT** be a decent player someday but i havent seen anything to warrant this much discussion on him. 

Then you have NOT been watching the games close enough.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

pigsnout

Jimmy Dykes put the hex on McCurdy when he stated on Pig Trails that McCurry should get 30 min. pt and Jefferson 10 after Vandy game.  Stan is a very stubborn man.

TennesseeRaz

"townes has been playing like a puss... yet i dont hear anyone calling for freshman cyrus mcgowan to get more PT... any ideas why that might be?
[/quote]

Uh, at least Townes can score, unlike DJ.

TennesseeRaz

Quote from: jj202020 on February 05, 2006, 03:51:56 pm
If you know basketball at all, then you don't ask that question.  The question should be "why does McCurdy not play 35 min/game.  

WATCH McCurdy play.  The defense is never allowed to get comfortable when he is allowed to handle the ball.  The defense is ALWAYS on it's heels when McCurdy has the ball and isn't forced to burn clock.  He, along with Brewer (and Townes to a lesser degree) are the only Razorbakcs able to put pressure on the defense.  He cause the off-side defenders to sag back (what a point gaurd is supposed to do) and this opens the floor up for all the other players.  The "standing around" is because we have 2 point gaurds (Jefferson and Ferguson) who don't pressure the defense enough.  McCurdy will turn the ball over some as long as he is getting so few minutes.  But when he is in the game, the floor suddenly opens up--and when he doen't turn the ball over, they score.  The more reps he gets, the more effecient he will become.

Just 4 posts, but this fellow knows basketball.

TDHog

The fact that you tie post count into knowledge of basketball speaks volumes.

Quote from: jj202020 on February 05, 2006, 03:51:56 pm

Beautiful.  Keep them coming..
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

twistitup

but, you do look to the future, TRUE?? There is no future in DJ.

SiriusHog™

Quote from: TennesseeRaz on February 05, 2006, 09:12:30 pm

"townes has been playing like a puss... yet i dont hear anyone calling for freshman cyrus mcgowan to get more PT... any ideas why that might be?

Uh, at least Townes can score, unlike DJ.
[/quote]

yeah townes tore it up yesterday with 4 points... next..

TennesseeRaz

Quote from: TDHog on February 05, 2006, 09:19:31 pm
The fact that you tie post count into knowledge of basketball speaks volumes.

My point was:  Though this fellow may not be a long-time member of the Hogville fraternity, you shouldn't discredit what he has to say.  It's apparent that he knows the game.

Sorry if that was too complex TD Hog.

hog caller

correct me if i am wrong but wasn't he recruited as a shooting guard with a 26 point average  and a pure three point shooter.

hogtheball

McCurdy was actually a combo guard in high school, sometimes point - sometimes the 2(averaged 16 points, 8 assists on the #2 team in the country - who finished with a 32 - 0 record and New jersey state championship).  He was recruited by Villanova, Memphis, Maryland, and a few other big-time schools before choosing Arkansas.  I wouldn't be surprised if he transfers after this very frustrating season. 

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

mountainhog

who says he plays bad in practice?  dont they have closed practices?

hogtheball

February 05, 2006, 10:36:30 pm #71 Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 10:49:31 pm by hogtheball
I don't understand why some of you guys are freaking out about Gary Ervin being such a great point guard.  It's not like he was awesome in the SEC at Mississippi State.  Last year, as a sophomore in 2005, he started 33 of 34 games with averages of 7.4 points, 2.4 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 1.1 steals. He shot 38.3 percent from the floor (88-230), and 23.3 percent on three-pointers (10-43).  If I remember correctly, DJ outplayed him in one of our games last year. Hope you're not calling him the next John Stockton. 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

hogtheball

On Feb. 2, Heath made more comments about McCurdy possibly being the point guard.  "I'm not sure what changes we'll make, if any," Heath said. "I'm looking at Eric Ferguson, Dontell Jefferson and Sean McCurdy at one guard spot."   If McCurdy is so bad at practice, heath should quit talking about him at press conferences.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogtheball on February 05, 2006, 10:38:37 pm
On Feb. 2, Heath made more comments about McCurdy possibly being the point guard.  "I'm not sure what changes we'll make, if any," Heath said. "I'm looking at Eric Ferguson, Dontell Jefferson and Sean McCurdy at one guard spot."   If McCurdy is so bad at practice, heath should quit talking about him at press conferences.

Exactly.

Hey, if Heath thinks McCurdy isn't ready this year, fine. Coach's decision, that's part of the deal.

But quit playing games with him.  Quit playing the "we're getting him ready to play card" and then keep him on the bench for 39 minutes.

That's chicken****.   

tacomahog

From what little i've seen, the kid can shoot the rock and he has great ball handling skills. 2 things that this team greatly lacks.

dmhog v2.0

It's because he's white. Racism still exists.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on February 05, 2006, 11:49:24 pm

My favorite player is Thomas.  My second player is Brewer.  McCurdy is third.

Keep throwing that racism card though...it makes you look intelligent.
Retired Radio Host

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 05, 2006, 11:51:37 pm

It's too bad sarcasm doesn't read very well on the internets.

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on February 05, 2006, 11:53:00 pm

HA HA HA HA HA.  Even I knew he was joking..
Wake up!

Go back and read tho whole thread, Ugly, will make more sense then.

Ugly Uncle

You know what...dmhog...I should have known better.  I have read your post and I knew you weren't like that.  I just read the last post that was yours without reading the rest.  I sincerely apologize.  +Karma for my mistake.
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 05, 2006, 11:54:25 pm

HA HA HA HA HA.  Even I knew he was joking..
Wake up!

Go back and read tho whole thread, Ugly, will make more sense then.

I know, I know...sorry.  dmhog...sorry again.  If I could plus karma again right now I would.  Feel very bad.
Retired Radio Host

TennesseeRaz

Quote from: WarRazorbacks on February 05, 2006, 09:46:24 pm
Quote from: TennesseeRaz on February 05, 2006, 09:12:30 pm

"Uh, at least Townes can score, unlike DJ.

yeah townes tore it up yesterday with 4 points... next..
[/quote]

And 6 boards in 11 minutes of playing time.  You aren't really intending to imply that Jefferson is just as good of an offensive option as Townes, are you?  It seems to me that Townes may have gotten the message; however, I don't think that DJ even has an address to which to send a message.

HairyHog

How much time did he get against USC on Saturday?  It's too bad that Stan doesn't want to give him game experience.  Put him in the game.  He can't be any worse that some who come off the bench. 

Kevin

mike,

he stinks in practice because he cannot play in the SEC.  He needs to be in the Patriot League
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

twistitup

MCCURDY IS A FRESHMAN-cant play in the SEC?? How do you know anything about him- he has hardly seen the floor. Kevin- Do you attend practice??

Hawgz4Life

The Master of All is white. I mean, come on. What self respecting black man would post in a voice that invokes all that is stereotypically ridiculous when it comes to black figureheads? A third person pattern of speech coupled with an attitude of "what? did I say something wrong?" after dropping the race card into a perfectly valid discussion. In addition, that little avatar of his is something that only a honky assed cracker would post on their sig line. My post can beat up your post.....please. But to address his accusations, yeah, we white people like to cheer for white kids who do well in a predominantly black sport. White guys who can play hoops are an anomoly. Plain and simple. We like cheering for black guys who are good at non-black sports. We LOVE Tiger Woods, Arthur Ashe AND the Williams sisters. Now; if you take this post TOO seriously, then you've got serious problems. Lighten up and don't bring that racist darn in here anymore. This is a sports forum, not Al and Jesse's Funtime Playland. Geez.

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: ConwayHog on February 06, 2006, 12:17:13 pm

Is everything about race with you bud?  You have quite a body of work that involves hijacking threads dealing with race.  If I were the moderator of this board, I would have sent your bags packed over to Woopig. 

To borrow a line from my good buddy Palooza....

SMITE THIS!

Pay attention, bud, so you don't look like a jackass.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php/topic,47174.msg519449.html#msg519449

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: ConwayHog on February 06, 2006, 01:16:40 pm
Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on February 06, 2006, 01:06:07 pm
Quote from: ConwayHog on February 06, 2006, 12:17:13 pm

Is everything about race with you bud?  You have quite a body of work that involves hijacking threads dealing with race.  If I were the moderator of this board, I would have sent your bags packed over to Woopig. 

To borrow a line from my good buddy Palooza....

SMITE THIS!

Pay attention, bud, so you don't look like a jackass.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php/topic,47174.msg519449.html#msg519449

My point remains the same.  Everything involves race with you whether you're kidding or not.  I've paid attention quite well.  Maybe you should find something else to discuss.

Just another example of the white man trying to hold a black man down.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: The Master Of All on February 05, 2006, 01:38:12 pm
The Master notes that strong reactions often cover up embarrassment.  He doesn't think that Razorback fans are intentionally behaving in such a manner, but that there is some merit to the theory.

Mr. McCurdy has not looked confident during his time on the floor.  The complaints against his not getting early season playing time appear to be the strongest, as that would surely help his confidence level.  Allowing a student-athlete to learn on the job against SEC opponents is not a great idea.

If Heath was going to waste a year of McCurdy's eligibility, it might make sense to play him in games that aren't blowouts.

Twenty-three of McCurdy's minutes came in the season-opening blowout of Portland State.  Since then: 17 minutes against Radford; 16 against Southern Miss; 7 against Rice; 14 against Texas-Pan American; 19 against Western Illinois.  Rest of season, averaging 4 minutes per game.

We're obviously short of true guards.  I've seen true freshman walk-ons play more at Alabama and Georgia than McCurdy has at Arkansas this season.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

I have never cheered for a player based on his skin color.  I think many fans have another kind of racism going, tending to expect the white guys to be unathletic overachievers.  I have seen fans change their opinions on a potential recruit when they found out he was black despite a so-called white-sounding name.  If he's black AND an unknown, people are more likely to cut the coaches some slack.  A lot of people expect black players to be more likely to turn into superstars.  There's a helluva lot more of that kind of racism going on when it comes to basketball.  Off the court, that's a different story.
[CENSORED]!

Kevin

twist- I have a good report on him.  In the minutes he got against the bad teams I could tell he cannot play in th SEC.  Plus, if he was able to play with ferguson and jefferson in practice don't you think he would be playing. 

We are bad at the point position and he cannot get minutes. you figure it out.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

February 06, 2006, 02:47:55 pm #94 Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 02:49:56 pm by notshavintilnuttgo
Quote from: Kevin on February 06, 2006, 02:42:28 pm
twist- I have a good report on him.  In the minutes he got against the bad teams I could tell he cannot play in th SEC.  Plus, if he was able to play with ferguson and jefferson in practice don't you think he would be playing. 

We are bad at the point position and he cannot get minutes. you figure it out.

You are letting your bias against him influence you.  We all know your scout friend said he could not play in the SEC, so you ran with that.  HOW WOULD ANYONE KNOW THAT?  Scouts are WRONG all the time.

There is some small evidence which points to him being VERY good.

He deserves a shot at this point, so we can see how he does in games.  As it has been stated, some good practice players are not good game-time players and some good game-time players suck in practice. 

PRACTICE is all we(and this info from Heath's mouth only, which I am starting to question), the coaches, and your scout friend have to go by at this point.  LET HIM PLAY.

Kevin

first is not biased, If he cannot guard players from portland state, texas state then he cannot guard in the SEC. 

Plus, your point guard better be able to get the job done in practice to instill confidence in the team.

There are four coaches in practice, if the kid could play he would be on the floor.

If McCurdy could play, why would we have bothered with Ervin?

Quote from: Kevin on February 06, 2006, 02:53:38 pm
first is not biased, If he cannot guard players from portland state, texas state then he cannot guard in the SEC. 

Plus, your point guard better be able to get the job done in practice to instill confidence in the team.

There are four coaches in practice, if the kid could play he would be on the floor.

If McCurdy could play, why would we have bothered with Ervin?

1.  You don't know this until he gets more PT.  He can get better.  Also, the team defense needs to get better.  His is valuable running the offense.

2.  see Matt Jones, and countless other players.  No matter how much a game is attempted to be simluated in practice, it is impossible to do so.  Some players just do better in games.

3.  Heath is starting to show how stubborn he is, he may not be listening.  There is a lot of pressure on him and the other coaches right now.  They are playing not to lose.

4.  The more good players we have at every position, the better, especially next year.

twistitup

I am so tired of hearing the practice bull****. The kid is a freshman who has barely hit the floor- SM played for one of the most prized highschool basketball programs in the nation coached by legend Bob Hurley. He was the leader of a team that went undefeated, won state and was ranked #2 in the nation. Usually when a player out of high school shows he has skills, is given a D1 scholarship, and shows the dedication to move across the country to play basketball- HE IS GIVEN A CHANCE!!

SM is not a scrub like some of you like to believe. He has the skills/brains combo that alot of coaches would love (not stan)

Kevin

did you not watch him play in the preseason blow outs, not very good.

i knew you would bring matt into this.  this is basketball not football.  he cannot go out there and just make plays. heath does not have that kind of offense.

all the coaches are feeling the heat right now.  they would dtep and say something is he needed to be in the game.

ervin has been promised the starting role or else he doen't come here.  he is not going to transfer to sit behind someone.  so, if mccurdy can give us 8 to 10 minutes a game has backup that will be his job.  look for the hogs to recruit a point next year and that will prove my accuracy.

Quote from: Kevin on February 06, 2006, 03:04:51 pm
did you not watch him play in the preseason blow outs, not very good.

i knew you would bring matt into this.  this is basketball not football.  he cannot go out there and just make plays. heath does not have that kind of offense.

all the coaches are feeling the heat right now.  they would dtep and say something is he needed to be in the game.

ervin has been promised the starting role or else he doen't come here.  he is not going to transfer to sit behind someone.  so, if mccurdy can give us 8 to 10 minutes a game has backup that will be his job.  look for the hogs to recruit a point next year and that will prove my accuracy.

I did watch the preseason games, and I thought he showed enough to have earned some more PT. 

Your only argument is that you say he can't play at the SEC level.  IMO, I have seen enough to make me think he can.  Nobody can truly know that until he gets more time.  He has at least earned more PT.  Then it will be more clear if he can play or not.