Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Plumeria

Started by Jackrabbit Hog, July 11, 2014, 08:40:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

I know this is the hunting and fishing forum and not the gardening forum, but we don't have a gardening forum so I occasionally post stuff here since yardwork is kinda my hobby.  A few years ago, after a trip to Hawaii, I started raising plumeria, which are the plants with the flowers that they make lei's out of.  Beautiful flowers that smell like perfume.  Anyway, I've got 3 plants - grew them from little cuttings - and they've really thrived.  This year one plant is just exploding with flowers.  A couple of pictures below.  Pretty easy to grow; you just have to make sure you use the right soil, grow them in a big pot, water them a lot, and bring them inside for the year when temps start dropping below 40.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

kodiakisland

I plant a lot trees, bushes, and flowers to watch grow for a year or two before killing them.  I would like to have poinsettias but don't think my garage stays warm enough in the winter.  I have some heirloom roses grown from cuttings of cuttings that can be traced to my great great grandfathers homestead.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Hawg_Thai'd

Rabbit, them really are some pretty flowers and congrats on your success. My wife loves growing different kinds of flowers around the yard and my grandma's house has a large variety as well. I think flowers are good for the soul. Medicine for the mind.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

LittlePigMan

Whew! Since this was in hunting and fishing I thought it was about some kind of new disease I had to look out for. You gotta admit, it sounds like it could be fatal.  :P

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: LittlePigMan on July 13, 2014, 10:07:28 pm

Whew! Since this was in hunting and fishing I thought it was about some kind of new disease I had to look out for. You gotta admit, it sounds like it could be fatal.  :P

Naw,  not fatal....but probably best not to eat any of them.....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

PonderinHog

What Jackrabbit won't do to get lei'd  ::)

AcornHunter

JH,

I thank you for the post.  The plants are truly beautiful and very healthy-looking.  Judging from the pics, you also are adept at photography.

I too enjoy tending and watching plants and animals grow.  To me, observing–on a commoner's level only–the phenology in the natural world play out is most intriguing.  I also highly enjoy a couple of byproducts:  home-grown vegetables and harvested game, healthy fare for the kitchen table, I say.

When will you repot?
How do you keep the wind from blowing pot and all over?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: AcornHunter on July 15, 2014, 07:33:06 am
JH,

I thank you for the post.  The plants are truly beautiful and very healthy-looking.  Judging from the pics, you also are adept at photography.

I too enjoy tending and watching plants and animals grow.  To me, observing–on a commoner's level only–the phenology in the natural world play out is most intriguing.  I also highly enjoy a couple of byproducts:  home-grown vegetables and harvested game, healthy fare for the kitchen table, I say.

When will you repot?
How do you keep the wind from blowing pot and all over?

Thanks.  I'll comment on your comments.

First, I'm not adept at photography at all.  iphones are wonderful things.  I took those photos with my phone the morning I posted them.  Wish I took better photos than I do.

I doubt that I'll re-pot these plants.  They will grow until they're root-bound in the pots, then they stay the same size (not supposed to die).  If you want them to continue to grow, yes, you would re-pot to a larger pot, but the ones I have are as large as I want them to get.  It would be wonderful if I could plant them in the ground but the winters in this area are just too cold for them.  Re-potting can be done any time of the year but I'd recommend the dormant time (roughly mid-October to early April) to do it.  Plumeria are very hearty plants that are easy to raise.

Another way to control their size and propagate at the same time is to take cuttings from existing plants and grow new plants from them.  There are lots of websites and youtube videos that show you how to do this.  You can cut more than half a plant away and it will grow new shoots from what's left.

As for how to keep them from toppling over, I'm still trying to figure that out.  One fell over last night during a severe storm we had.  I went out last night to put it back up and one limb had broken off.  That's okay though; I smoothed the broken area of the limb with a hacksaw and in about two weeks I'll plant it as a new cutting.  And a new limb will grow from the stub where it broke off of the existing plant. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.