Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coons killing my chickens

Started by twistitup, May 27, 2014, 09:19:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

My rooster killed a young possum the other night. I was impressed
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: HawgWild on July 02, 2014, 03:09:53 pm

How far away did you haul it? You can only fool a coon once. If he's close enough to make it back he won't fall for the old "What's in the trap?" trick again.

Lots of truth in the above statement. 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

HawgWild

Saw a skanky looking coon cross my yard today at noon. Coons in the daytime are not a good sign, correct?

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: HawgWild on July 03, 2014, 12:52:38 pm

Saw a skanky looking coon cross my yard today at noon. Coons in the daytime are not a good sign, correct?

You are again....correct.  Rare to see a coon moving around at high noon in the summer, specially if he did not appear healthy.  Sounds suspicious.  I have seen a few in the middle of a hot day, at a pond drinking.....but its not common.

pigture perfect

Did the coon look and walk like he was healthy? I have known many noonday garbage can coons. That's when the aroma is at its strongest.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

HawgWild

He looked a little thin and his coat didn't look too great. Of course most of the coons I see are at night on my bird feeder or spooked up a tree when I walk outside.

micali

about  five miles or more away.  I doubt I'll see him or his other buddy I caught the other night either. 

twistitup

Quote from: micali on July 05, 2014, 12:30:36 am
about  five miles or more away.  I doubt I'll see him or his other buddy I caught the other night either. 

What bait are you using?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

HawgWild

I've had success using apples in my traps.

micali

Quote from: twistitup on July 05, 2014, 05:34:31 am
What bait are you using?
The first night I used dog food.  The second time soft cat food.  Tonight its soft cat food with baked beans.  I hope I get another one. 
I'm going to take the human element out of me forgetting to close the coo door and make an automatic chicken door.  It will open at 7am and close at 8pm.  At first it will be wired in but I'm going solar with it soon.  Its pretty simple. 

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: HawgWild on July 05, 2014, 09:21:31 am

I've had success using apples in my traps.

Just about everything I have trapped around the house......coons, possums, feral cats, one fox....has been with Tuna fish.

twistitup

Quote from: micali on July 06, 2014, 12:10:49 am
The first night I used dog food.  The second time soft cat food.  Tonight its soft cat food with baked beans.  I hope I get another one. 
I'm going to take the human element out of me forgetting to close the coo door and make an automatic chicken door.  It will open at 7am and close at 8pm.  At first it will be wired in but I'm going solar with it soon.  Its pretty simple. 

Very cool, I've thought about this before- but haven't done it..
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

micali

Quote from: twistitup on July 06, 2014, 05:35:10 am
Very cool, I've thought about this before- but haven't done it..
When I get the kinks worked out I'll post how I did it. 

DeltaBoy

Build a stronger coop. We used a cypress board and bat one on a Cement slab for 30 years.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.