Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

suppressors anyone?

Started by kodiakisland, July 05, 2014, 11:07:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodiakisland

I'm finally going to do it.  I've resisted for years because I didn't want to do the paperwork, but by now the government knows I've got guns anyway.  It just makes sense to have a couple of suppressors for as much shooting as I do.  After all, we wouldn't drive a car without a muffler, would we.  Plus, they are legal for hunting so why not.

Anyone else here using a can?  I'll be getting one for 22lr and one for 7.62 and smaller.  Of course it will be in a year or so when I can bring it home.  That gives me plenty of time to get barrels threaded.

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

OnTheHillHogFan

I've thought about getting one for a 22 but just haven't done it. Would be nice for when I am shooting it for a while.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

DeltaBoy

Go join the High Road they have a sub forum dedicated to just that.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Rzbakfromwaybak

If I get one, it's going to be the same brand that James Bond used.  Attaches on & off instantly, & makes only a very soft click or thud.  He used it in Hotel's all over the world......& can't ever remember him being reported for noise violations.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

pigture perfect

I've got a .22 that is made to take one, I may go ahead and get it so I can shoot the squirrels out of my dads pecan trees in Little Rock.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on July 28, 2014, 01:01:49 am
If I get one, it's going to be the same brand that James Bond used.  Attaches on & off instantly, & makes only a very soft click or thud.  He used it in Hotel's all over the world......& can't ever remember him being reported for noise violations.

And he got more a** than a toilet seat.  Good plan.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 05, 2014, 11:07:41 pm
I'm finally going to do it.  I've resisted for years because I didn't want to do the paperwork, but by now the government knows I've got guns anyway.  It just makes sense to have a couple of suppressors for as much shooting as I do.  After all, we wouldn't drive a car without a muffler, would we.  Plus, they are legal for hunting so why not.

Anyone else here using a can?  I'll be getting one for 22lr and one for 7.62 and smaller.  Of course it will be in a year or so when I can bring it home.  That gives me plenty of time to get barrels threaded.

Funny thing you posted this. I finally decided yesterday I was going to take the plunge.

With the e filing it only takes a few months now. Going to get one for my SASS chambered in .243 Win

CallThemHawgs!

CallThemHawgs!

Anyone here in Wash county go thru the process? I know you have to get the Sheriff to sign off on it. Being ex military/concealed carry/no record I cant imagine I would have any problem with that... but, you never know these days

kodiakisland

Have not done mine yet.  I haven't found what I'm looking for in stock anywhere.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Hogs run wild

Set up a trust and you dont have to get the sheriff to sign off on anything. As for finding things in stock, find a good place that can do suppressor transfers and order what you want from silencershop.com
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Hogs run wild on September 05, 2014, 09:06:56 pm
Set up a trust and you dont have to get the sheriff to sign off on anything. As for finding things in stock, find a good place that can do suppressor transfers and order what you want from silencershop.com

Someone mentioned the trust deal a few days ago, how exactly does it work?

Hogs run wild

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 06, 2014, 12:18:33 am
Someone mentioned the trust deal a few days ago, how exactly does it work?
You get software that can set up a "revocable living trust" and it acts like an entity. And, since entities are not individuals, they do not have a criminal record. Entities can own property such as: homes, guns, cars, etc. Therefore, you bypass needing a criminal background check. If you have an LLC or business of some type, you can purchase property through that too and bypass the criminal check.

supersaint

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 01, 2014, 07:43:28 pm
Funny thing you posted this. I finally decided yesterday I was going to take the plunge.

With the e filing it only takes a few months now. Going to get one for my SASS chambered in .243 Win
Efile (form 4) has been down for several weeks now with no eta for its return.

Virgil

I'd like to have one but last I checked those things are PRICEY!!
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Virgil on September 09, 2014, 10:53:32 am

When you have $3,000 in the gun already. A $600 piece to make the gun 100x more enjoyable is light work haha

supersaint

Quote from: Virgil on September 09, 2014, 10:53:32 am
There are some .22 cans that aren't too expensive (subjective). The SWR Warlock II is a quality can for about $230. Of course you still have to pay the $200 for the tax stamp.

kodiakisland

Expense is all relative.  For something you might shoot once or twice a year, yeah, way too expensive.  For something you shoot weekly, cost is pretty negligible over several years of use.

supersaint

I'm not sure what part of the state you're in, but Chris Hettman from Nfagear.com is in Beebe. He's great to deal with. I got my first two cans from him and have a Saker 762 pending with him.

The trust route is the way to go IMHO.

Once you get your forms filed, nfatracker.com is a fairly accurate resource for predicting the turnaround time.

HogSophist

Quote from: Hogs run wild on September 06, 2014, 08:17:34 am
You get software that can set up a "revocable living trust" and it acts like an entity. And, since entities are not individuals, they do not have a criminal record. Entities can own property such as: homes, guns, cars, etc. Therefore, you bypass needing a criminal background check. If you have an LLC or business of some type, you can purchase property through that too and bypass the criminal check.

Be careful of trust software and the nfa. 
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Quote from: supersaint on September 12, 2014, 01:39:08 pm
I'm not sure what part of the state you're in, but Chris Hettman from Nfagear.com is in Beebe. He's great to deal with. I got my first two cans from him and have a Saker 762 pending with him.

The trust route is the way to go IMHO.

Once you get your forms filed, nfatracker.com is a fairly accurate resource for predicting the turnaround time.

Chris has one of the suppressors I want on order.  Just waiting for it to come in to get the paperwork started.

HogSophist

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 13, 2014, 08:18:45 pm
Details?

Most software is designed for folks to pass assets and avoid probate. Gun trusts need to account for state and federal specific statutes, multiple trustees, etc.

If I'm putting specific items in trust that are very valuable and are governed by the Feds and state I would want to go find someone who does this type of work.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

kodiakisland

Gotcha.  Would certainly have someone who knows what they are doing if I went that route.

Hogs run wild

Quote from: HogSophist on September 13, 2014, 08:28:23 pm
Most software is designed for folks to pass assets and avoid probate. Gun trusts need to account for state and federal specific statutes, multiple trustees, etc.

If I'm putting specific items in trust that are very valuable and are governed by the Feds and state I would want to go find someone who does this type of work.
Both options work. Many people have used software (myself included) to buy suppressors. The BATF looks over the paperwork prior to approval. Also, the software does account for federal/state statutes and multiple trustees.

supersaint

Quicken Willmaker trust here
Be careful with NFA purchases, they seem to multiply.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: supersaint on September 15, 2014, 09:37:23 am
Quicken Willmaker trust here
Be careful with NFA purchases, they seem to multiply.

The idea of this really intrigues me. What are the legal grounds for this, and how exactly does it allow you to bypass the Sheriff, etc

supersaint

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 15, 2014, 12:56:46 pm
The idea of this really intrigues me. What are the legal grounds for this, and how exactly does it allow you to bypass the Sheriff, etc
NFA items can be transferred to individuals (need chief LEO sign off, finger prints, etc...).  NFA items may also be transferred to corporations (or other legal entities such as a trust). When the paperwork to request transfer of an NFA item is initiated by an officer of a corporation or a trustee, a signature from local law enforcement is not required, and fingerprint cards and photographs do not need to be submitted with the transfer request.

Do a search for "NFA Trust" or "Gun Trust", and you'll find tons of resources and guides explaining it all.  It's not as complicated as it may seem. I did tons of research before proceeding with my trust and stamp applications.  There are also lawyers who are more than willing to assist. 

Edit to add...for anyone reading this...the trust rout to NFA ownership should NOT be seen as a way for someone who's prohibited from owning firearms to obtain them.  Trust or not, if you're a felon, and you have a suppressor, you're committing another felony.