Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reason for Optimism Next Year

Started by rzrbackramsfan, March 16, 2018, 07:19:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 17, 2018, 08:48:03 am
Stupid, Bielema had losing conference records in 4 out of 5 seasons. If Anderson was winning at Bielema's rate we wouldn't be sniffing the NIT.

We might would advance even farther than we have since we probably would have had a different coach by now.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rude1

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 17, 2018, 08:28:52 am
Sorry, but if any team in the country has a game where their top three players don't show up, they're losing. That's not a CMA thing. That's a basketball and sports overall thing.
This has to be the worst argument ever for a coach. With this type of logic of blaming the players, there is never a reason to fire the coach, it is the players who aren't playing up to their level right?

bphi11ips

Quote from: Poker_hog on March 16, 2018, 08:26:34 pm
This.  If gafford is back I think we're a bubble team.  If he leaves we'll be returning 3 role players and the #26 recruiting class.  Our tallest player will be 6'8.  It's hard to get excited about that.

Not many were excited about this lineup before the season, either:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/arkansas/1993.html

Tallest player was 6'9" sophomore role player.

Some were surprised we won more than 10-12 games.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 17, 2018, 09:42:52 am
Not many were excited about this lineup before the season, either:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/arkansas/1993.html

Tallest player was 6’9” sophomore role player.

Some were surprised we won more than 10-12 games.

Different era. Under the current rules, many members of that team would foul out almost every game. The new hand checking rules took the "Hades" out of the "40 minutes of Hades".
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Gonzo

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 17, 2018, 08:28:52 am
Sorry, but if any team in the country has a game where their top three players don't show up, they're losing. That's not a CMA thing. That's a basketball and sports overall thing.

Hhmm, I wonder who is responsible for putting together the roster and having them ready to play? I wonder who is responsible for having a plan B when plan A isn't working? I wonder who is responsible for getting the team to quit just shooting jumpers and attack the rim when they're in the bonus for nearly 12 minutes in the second half and the double bonus for 7 - 8 of those?

Yesterday's bad loss won't, and arguably maybe even shouldn't in and of itself, cost MA his job, but it most definitely is his to own, goes with the job.

Go Hogs!

rtr

Khalil Garland could be the missing piece of the puzzle.  If he is cleared to play and Gafford comes back, we could be really tough at the end of they year.  That is two big if's but goodness we are due some good luck. 
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

rude1

Quote from: rtr on March 17, 2018, 10:25:45 am
Khalil Garland could be the missing piece of the puzzle.  If he is cleared to play and Gafford comes back, we could be really tough at the end of they year.  That is two big if's but goodness we are due some good luck. 
I keep seeing this but the truth is Garland was never thought to be a game changer when he was being recruited. Good player that could contribute maybe. Wasn't until he didn't make it to the court that he suddenly became this dynamic player that could make all the difference for a team.

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on March 17, 2018, 10:06:27 am
Different era. Under the current rules, many members of that team would foul out almost every game. The new hand checking rules took the "Hades" out of the "40 minutes of Hades".

Yeah. And Scotty Thurman wouldn't have the range and Corliss Williamson's drop-step wouldn't work today.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: rude1 on March 17, 2018, 10:32:43 am
I keep seeing this but the truth is Garland was never thought to be a game changer when he was being recruited. Good player that could contribute maybe. Wasn't until he didn't make it to the court that he suddenly became this dynamic player that could make all the difference for a team.

Yeah the 58th ranked player in the ESPN Top 100 was brought in to be a role player.

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 17, 2018, 10:34:19 am
Yeah. And Scotty Thurman wouldn’t have the range and Corliss Williamson’s drop-step wouldn’t work today.

Like I said, it was a different era. That's what is hurting the Hogs. The added time outs and the hand checking rules are seriously hampering Mike's style of basketball that he learned from Nolan and he won't adapt his system.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Letsroll1200

Skill wise Khalil is much better than Hall. Khalil defensively would have improved this team. However, the Hogs still fall short because they are without a true point guard.

rude1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 17, 2018, 12:04:42 pm
Skill wise Khalil is much better than Hall. Khalil defensively would have improved this team. However, the Hogs still fall short because they are without a true point guard.
Pure speculation. Garland was a 3* No. 169 player ranking on 247. You don't expect a player with that low of a ranking to come in and be a difference maker for your program. He might have but highly unlikely.

cosmodrum

Next year we will be begging for this year.
Go away, batin'

Jimmy

Next year:  The indoor practice facility will be ready.  Right? 

PonderinHog

Quote from: Jimmy on March 17, 2018, 01:38:47 pm
Almost.
Contractor needs more time.
Fire Contractor!

Sivad

Quote from: Jimmy on March 17, 2018, 01:38:47 pm
That is just "crumbs".
He needs the Nolan statue now.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: rude1 on March 17, 2018, 01:18:06 pm
Pure speculation. Garland was a 3* No. 169 player ranking on 247. You don't expect a player with that low of a ranking to come in and be a difference maker for your program. He might have but highly unlikely.

He's 58th in ESPN top 100. I think he helps.

rude1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 17, 2018, 02:07:24 pm
He's 58th in ESPN top 100. Rivals focus on football. I think he helps.
So basically one service had him a 4* so we use that one to project his talents? Not saying he wouldn't help, just not enough to have made a difference.

The Hogfather

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 16, 2018, 11:52:22 pm
Ever since you said Beard could go for 20/6/6 I can never take you seriously.

I've had as many D1  20 point games as Beard: zero (0)

It was a joke, dooshnozzledick.  The point was that Beard is as good as Allen, but does everything other than shooting more better than Allen.  You see Allen's performance tonight?  Same as every other game.  Terrible.  Worse than Beard.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

code red

Quote from: rude1 on March 16, 2018, 07:23:11 pm
Darius is a nice role player, but certainly not a foundation type of player. Fact is we won't have any foundation type players returning next year if Gafford leaves. Going to have to depend on freshman who aren't talented enough or ready to come in and be put under baptism by fire. Prospect look bleak for next season to say the least.
Plus Mike is no Cal.  Got to do more than roll the ball out at practice....with freshman.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

The_Iceman

Quote from: rude1 on March 17, 2018, 01:18:06 pm

Rivals is garbage for basketball. ESPN is the best site for basketball recruiting.

atom hog

Quote from: riccoar on March 16, 2018, 09:59:45 pm
Mike always depends on his top guys to perform.  Well today, an opponent had an answer for Macon, Barford, and Gafford.  When your guys can't perform, you need a coach who can scheme and point those guys around the road blocks.  Mike ain't that guy.
TRUE DAT. We will always be outcoached with CMA at the helm. We will also be out-fundamentaled. Coaching is leading your team when their "A" game isn't working. Once his team's hit any adversity, they fold like a cheap suit. Being bounced in the first round by smaller, less talented schools is in our future no matter the quality of recruits we get. Success at the big dance is about coaching and x-and-o's, especially escaping the first round. Talent comes into play in the second round of the tourney when you have better athletes than the smaller schools.

HawgHeadCheese

Dude Garland is a 4 star 6'5" ball handling guard that would have been on a team that had only 3 ball handlers and his dribble is better than everyone except for Macon, he's more athletic than all 3, and finishes around the rim better than all except for Barford. If you don't think he would've changed our season by at least 2-4 wins then you haven't watched us play. The lack of rotation at guard hurt us all season. Which is why Beard played so many minutes.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 16, 2018, 07:19:37 pm

1. Three more years of Hall
2. At 2:02 "We have Khalil Garland comin back next year"

I hope so if Gafford did surprise and come back we would be as good as we are this year maybe better.

I'll take Hall every day of the week. He will improve his skills but give me his heart and desire and you can win big. He's a great athlete but his main thing is he sees the game and is aware of what the offense is doing.

Mostly Beard won't be playing that will help a lot. I swear I'm going to stop but never in my life have seen this deal. Honestly makes me wonder about Anderson. Sorry to say it.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 18, 2018, 09:23:55 am
Dude Garland is a 4 star 6'5" ball handling guard that would have been on a team that had only 3 ball handlers and his dribble is better than everyone except for Macon, he's more athletic than all 3, and finishes around the rim better than all except for Barford. If you don't think he would've changed our season by at least 2-4 wins then you haven't watched us play. The lack of rotation at guard hurt us all season. Which is why Beard played so many minutes.

Absolutely correct.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: rude1 on March 16, 2018, 07:23:11 pm
Darius is a nice role player, but certainly not a foundation type of player. Fact is we won't have any foundation type players returning next year if Gafford leaves. Going to have to depend on freshman who aren't talented enough or ready to come in and be put under baptism by fire. Prospect look bleak for next season to say the least.
I have to disagree on your Hall comment. He has all the makings of a outstanding 4 year player. The athletic tools are there, the height and weight is there, the IQ is there, and the most important parts are the WANT TO and Tenacity are there. He is already our best defender, 2nd or 3rd best rebounder, and might even argue a tie for the 3rd best handles on the team last year. I've seen so many moments that made me feel confident about him in the future.

rude1

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 18, 2018, 06:49:59 am
Rivals is garbage for basketball. ESPN is the best site for basketball recruiting.
What makes ESPN better? I know why people here pick them, they have our players rated as mostly all 4* the other services don't. But I bet if the others rated them as 4* and ESPN didn't, then the other sites would suddenly be listed as the ones to trust.

rude1

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 18, 2018, 09:23:55 am
Garland was NOT a consensus 4*, everyone is cherry picking the site that had him rated the highest.

mhuff

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 16, 2018, 09:12:19 pm
I understand your frustration after a loss but the incoming class is far more talented at positions 1-4.  (Especially the SF & PF) and it's not even close.

Two from the class are still growing Jordan Phillips 6'7.5 & Isaiah Joe is nearly 6'5 now.

We'll be fine....

Someone that knows talent

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: rude1 on March 18, 2018, 10:01:52 am
Garland was NOT a consensus 4*, everyone is cherry picking the site that had him rated the highest.
Ok I'll give you another stat. Garland was on a Team Penny AAU team that had 2 5 stars and several other highly rated players. He was the 2nd leading scorer. He was our 2nd highest rated recruit.

HogBreath

One good thing for next season and our all freshmen team, it shouldn't take them too long to get a good grasp on the fast forty play book.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

LumberBacks

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 16, 2018, 09:23:56 pm
I'm telling you right now, IF Gafford and Garland are here, we'll do better than this year.  Harris is a difference maker at PG.  I really hope Hall isn't just being overly optimistic about Garland and/or Gafford.
If by "difference maker" you simply man he's an upgrade at PG to Beard, then yea, that's a good possibility.  If by "difference maker" you mean he can put a team of inexperienced players on his back to outperform the expectations, then that's a reach.  He's a 3* who avg. 20 mins on a 17-14 team his freshman year.  He only has one year of collegiate experience, and that was in the Mountain West.

BigHog396

Quote from: HogBreath on March 18, 2018, 02:37:18 pm
One good thing for next season and our all freshmen team, it shouldn't take them too long to get a good grasp on the fast forty play book.
Would love to see this playbook.  Sadly, the last seven seasons prove the fact that there is no playbook with this staff.

Sivad

Quote from: HogBreath on March 18, 2018, 02:37:18 pm
That's his genius - it's played on streets and driveways all over the country - every recruit is already an expert with it and in no need of any excessive coaching.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 17, 2018, 10:28:56 pm
It was a joke, dooshnozzledick.  The point was that Beard is as good as Allen, but does everything other than shooting more better than Allen.  You see Allen's performance tonight?  Same as every other game.  Terrible.  Worse than Beard.

No one is worse than Beard..Not his fault Anderson played him over and over.

The Hogfather

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on March 18, 2018, 05:52:14 pm
No one is worse than Beard..Not his fault Anderson played him over and over.

Yep, Allen was 4-19 (2-10 from 3) with 7 turnovers in 2 NCAAT games.  That's terrible.  Worse than Beard.  Beard at least didn't shoot 10 times and turn it over 4 times in his 1 game.

The Hogfather

Quote from: LumberBacks on March 18, 2018, 02:57:12 pm
If by "difference maker" you simply man he's an upgrade at PG to Beard, then yea, that's a good possibility.  If by "difference maker" you mean he can put a team of inexperienced players on his back to outperform the expectations, then that's a reach.  He's a 3* who avg. 20 mins on a 17-14 team his freshman year.  He only has one year of collegiate experience, and that was in the Mountain West.

You are shallow.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 18, 2018, 09:38:22 pm
You are shallow.

Allen is a star and Beard is a ball hog. Both play forms of street ball but Allen is the better basketball player.

golfinpig

Quote from: raz1965 on March 17, 2018, 08:41:50 am
I am as dissiapointed as anybody, really stings to see the Hogs lose in the first round, but because it happened this year it has no bearing on what may happen next year.  Basketball is really about team chemistry, the chemistry of this team was unstable at times. Because no one believed that UMBC couldn't beat Virginai did not stop it from happening, neither will your opinion of next years team have any impact on there performamce. The facts about basketball is talent, mentality, chemistry. Next year's team just may be better than this team was. I will make no predictions , but know when season begins next year will again be optimistic an ready to watch hog ball under the leadership of a fine coach. Watching the game yesterday I seen that the team could have won had a few more shots went down, a few less careless turnovers, a bit more attention to detail on defense, all things coach Anderson had warned his team about , but yet was not executed by the team, the bottom line is the guys on the floor has to take accountability for there play, as the saying goes you lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.  Mike can lead, but the chemistry has to be there, it simply was not good enough on this team to accomplish bigger things. Congrats to all the guys for the great moments an for being good kids overall in the scope of life.
I love how you just said that an Anderson coached team with 6 seniors and 33 games under their belt this season couldn't execute. I wonder who's in charge of getting the players to execute?

hawg1221

Too many role players and not enough performers. The majority of the team sets picks and runs fast down the court. They just can't shoot and rebound.  They need the depth on the bench to get better. Next year's class may add that, but they're still going to be freshman. When you consider what the returning players did this year, how are they going to make up for the loss of Macon and Barford? Losing 35 plus points a game, returning players that really didn't do much, and a bunch of unproven freshmen, in a tough SEC conference? I don't see them making the NCAA tournament next year. Also, whose going to rebound if Gafford is gone? 

RebHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 18, 2018, 09:37:18 pm
Yep, Allen was 4-19 (2-10 from 3) with 7 turnovers in 2 NCAAT games.  That's terrible.  Worse than Beard.  Beard at least didn't shoot 10 times and turn it over 4 times in his 1 game.

Yes Beard went beast mode with 6 points 0 ast 0 rb 0 stl 0 blk in 25 minutes. Couldnt fight over any screens and gave up multiple 3 pointers due to size/half ass close out on shooter but ya I guess your right.....

hawg1221

Quote from: RebHog on March 19, 2018, 08:07:01 pm
Yes Beard went beast mode with 6 points 0 ast 0 rb 0 stl 0 blk in 25 minutes. Couldnt fight over any screens and gave up multiple 3 pointers due to size/half ass close out on shooter but ya I guess your right.....

Beard is the only 5'10" player that I know who will take on a 7 footer. A lot of fans this year got game balls.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Captain Morganlink=topic=658940.msg11449279#msg11449279 date=1521495533
Allen is a star and Beard is a ball hog. Both play forms of street ball but Allen is the better basketball player.

Such a dumbarse.  He does look better in his uniform and can jump higher.

The Hogfather

Quote from: RebHog on March 19, 2018, 08:07:01 pm

Much better than Allen shooting 10 times a game, including 5 threes to get to 7 points each game and turning the ball over 4 times a game.  It is hilarious that no matter what Allen does, he's considered a star around here because he's from Arkansas, spurned the University of Arkansas, and had some high scoring games in which he shot the ball 100x per game, including 88 threes, to get to.

East Clintwood

No matter what players we have returning or coming in, we'll still have the same coaching staff to bring them down to mediocracy.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Hawg Red

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 16, 2018, 08:14:16 pm
Hall said he was coming back.

Not something I would take to the bank, though I certainly hope it's true.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 20, 2018, 12:10:39 am
Such a dumbarse.  He does look better in his uniform and can jump higher.
He doesn't dribble the ball off his foot like our recent player who's eligibility is up.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 20, 2018, 08:41:35 am
He doesn't dribble the ball off his foot like our recent player who's eligibility is up.

Yeah, I'm sure none of those 7 turnovers in the NCAAT were anything like what you're describing.  Probably just passing right to the other team or trying to shoot too much and losing the ball into a defender's arms.

OkieBack

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 16, 2018, 09:12:19 pm
I understand your frustration after a loss but the incoming class is far more talented at positions 1-4.  (Especially the SF & PF) and it's not even close.

Two from the class are still growing Jordan Phillips 6'7.5 & Isaiah Joe is nearly 6'5 now.

We'll be fine....

We may be fine, but will we be better?  I don't mind if there is a little heat starting under CMA.  Right now if the coaching staff is satisfied and is complacent...I think things turn ugly for CMA.  But if they do anything with next year's team I hope they force this team to play crazy defense and for God's sake WORK ON FUNDAMENTALS!!!