Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking for New AD to Step Up

Started by maggiesue, March 16, 2018, 05:13:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

maggiesue

Said it before and will say it again...Einstein's Theory of Insanity says "You want different results but don't change the way you do things."  Mike is a good guy but should be coaching an AAU team....this is the ceiling on bad basketball!

Let's clean the house and get a coach who can coach!  For those of you content with this bad basketball and Coach Anderson, watch the tournament play out and see how the teams that advance play fundamentally vs. the street ball Anderson plays.....it is obvious!

hamARchy in the USA

Whether MA is retained or fired will tell us whether there has really been a change of leadership.

One might argue that the change was made because the football program is all that matters now.

DuckTalesLOL

He was just given a 2 year extension awhile back. He's not going anywhere.

oldbooniehog

You should be GRATEFUL for 3 trips to the NCAA tournament every 7 years.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: DuckTalesLOL on March 16, 2018, 07:43:52 pm
He was just given a 2 year extension awhile back. He's not going anywhere.

That is the assumption.  Might be true.  Might put the new AD and more on the hot seat next year.

Slater

I hope he leaves for another job so all the whining idiots will be happy and not be tortured with losing in the NCAA Tourney.
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

SONofHAM

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on March 16, 2018, 07:52:01 pm
That is the assumption.  Might be true.  Might put the new AD and more on the hot seat next year.
The extension was written up and agreed to months before Long was fired.  Yurachek even said he didn't have anything to do with that in an interview.
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Mr. Porkleone

That was agreed on while Long was AD. New AD had nothing to do with it.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: SONofHAM on March 16, 2018, 09:33:31 pm
The extension was written up and agreed to months before Long was fired.  Yurachek even said he didn't have anything to do with that in an interview.

I read that too.  But it's beside the point.  MA needs to be replaced today.  It's on the new AD to make that happen.  If he doesn't then little has changed.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Slater on March 16, 2018, 07:54:12 pm
I hope he leaves for another job so all the whining idiots will be happy and not be tortured with losing in the NCAA Tourney.

I hope he does too. Please join Kim Anderson in the MIAA.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

HOGINTENNESSEE

MA is a good coach. He will continue to be good not great. He is also 58.

Let's enjoy the continued ride as respectable but not great. MA retires the program is in good shape and a great coach will jump at it.

forrest city joe

What do you know,another garbage fire Mike Anderson thread by the same haters. this is a trash thread that should be in the trash can.cry and whine all you want.Mike Anderson will be the coach here next year.

SONofHAM

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on March 16, 2018, 09:47:38 pm
I read that too.  But it's beside the point.  MA needs to be replaced today.  It's on the new AD to make that happen.  If he doesn't then little has changed.
I'm ready for a change.  But I think the new AD will give him another year.

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 16, 2018, 09:55:28 pm
MA is a good coach. He will continue to be good not great. He is also 58.

Let's enjoy the continued ride as respectable but not great. MA retires the program is in good shape and a great coach will jump at it.
Quote from: forrest city joe on March 16, 2018, 09:57:39 pm
What do you know,another garbage fire Mike Anderson thread by the same haters. this is a trash thread that should be in the trash can.cry and whine all you want.Mike Anderson will be the coach here next year.
What do you know, FCJ blindly defends Mike.

3kgthog

Why is your ceiling so low for this program? I have to ask. If Mike were white, would you want him out of here?

010HogFan

not a garbage thread at all. better than any of the ones you start. Your shtick is OLD. Come up with something new.

Jek Tono Porkins

I was on the fence about Mike until this game. I used to think we couldn't do much better...but we can do much better. There was no excuse to lose to LSU twice this season, one of which was an absolute massacre in BWA. We should have beat them twice. That would've put us 23-8 overall, 12-6 in conference play. Beat Mississippi State and we go 24-7, 13-5 in conference play, tied for first in the conference. Higher seed in the SEC tournament and a higher seed in the NCAA tournament, though based off the evidence we saw today it's not like they would have done anything with it.

It's those types of losses that make you want to pull your hair out. Last year it was also losing to Mississippi State and losing to freaking Mizzou, the worst team in the conference. Seems to me that with the talent he has he should be winning those games.

It's basketball, I don't expect to win every game. But I do expect that they beat teams they should beat. Had he been able to do that the past couple of years it would've resulted in better draws in the tournament. It's hard to get anywhere in the tournament when you start as a 7-8 seed. All he has to do is not lose to the abysmal teams in the conference. One or two or three losses can make a big difference. We did start as a 5 seed in the Portis/Qualls years but that's been the outlier instead of the norm.

The question we have to ask is "Will Mike ever get to the point where we're not sitting around 10 regular season losses every year and get higher draws in the tournament?" I think the answer is no. It's been 7 years. I don't see a lot of hope on the horizon to get the program back into national contention. Mike served his purpose in getting the program out of the dumps of the Pel years. But it's time to move on.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Mr. Porkleone

Bottom line. Don't take 7 years to build a good B.B. team

No SEC titles
2 NCAA wins. Warford and Seton Hall
3-4 top 25 rankings in 7 years

Fact is MA ceiling won't get higher, is there a better coach that would return us to glory? I don't know. We have the B.B. facility, and everything we need for elite recruits, but we really are still a sub par average team. CMA lacks true point gaurd and players still lack fundamental teaching. I just do t see us making any runs at SEC or NCAA titles with this staff

SONofHAM

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on March 16, 2018, 10:44:09 pm
I was on the fence about Mike until this game. I used to think we couldn't do much better...but we can do much better. There was no excuse to lose to LSU twice this season, one of which was an absolute massacre in BWA. We should have beat them twice. That would've put us 23-8 overall, 12-6 in conference play. Beat Mississippi State and we go 24-7, 13-5 in conference play, tied for first in the conference. Higher seed in the SEC tournament and a higher seed in the NCAA tournament, though based off the evidence we saw today it's not like they would have done anything with it.

It's those types of losses that make you want to pull your hair out. Last year it was also losing to Mississippi State and losing to freaking Mizzou, the worst team in the conference. Seems to me that with the talent he has he should be winning those games.

It's basketball, I don't expect to win every game. But I do expect that they beat teams they should beat. Had he been able to do that the past couple of years it would've resulted in better draws in the tournament. It's hard to get anywhere in the tournament when you start as a 7-8 seed. All he has to do is not lose to the abysmal teams in the conference. One or two or three losses can make a big difference. We did start as a 5 seed in the Portis/Qualls years but that's been the outlier instead of the norm.

The question we have to ask is "Will Mike ever get to the point where we're not sitting around 10 regular season losses every year and get higher draws in the tournament?" I think the answer is no. It's been 7 years. I don't see a lot of hope on the horizon to get the program back into national contention. Mike served his purpose in getting the program out of the dumps of the Pel years. But it's time to move on.
well said

Knot2brite

The AD will stand up and clap for MA as the head coach of the basketball team for as long as he wants because he will be told to do that ....he won't like it but until the big names decide they are tired of the MA nostalgia tour he will have to put up with it...but I think that the big names are about out of patience
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

cram224

I thought it was funny when the announcers said Gafford was being guarded by a 6'4" 160# defender and he didn't know how to get position. To make it worse they said the guards didn't know how to get the ball to him. Until that is corrected we will never be a threat to go far into the NCAAT.

sadhogfan

The way this fan base responds to MA continually reminds me that we deserve untold depths of misery.

GoHogs1091

Need to try to get Ben Howland to leave MSU and come coach at the UofA.

Howland is probably a top 5 in-the-nation in-game Coach.

He can also recruit and get players prepared for the NBA (i.e. Westbrook).

Until around 2014 or 2015 when John CaliparI had a large group of players go to the NBA, Howland had put more players into the NBA than Calipari.

steveaustin69

Quote from: sadhogfan on March 16, 2018, 11:29:29 pm
The way this fan base responds to MA continually reminds me that we deserve untold depths of misery.

I'd love to see this explanation. Got stats for days, bud. How is Mike good?

rolyat_2008

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 17, 2018, 12:28:19 am
Need to try to get Ben Howland to leave MSU and come coach at the UofA.

Howland is probably a top 5 in-the-nation in-game Coach.

He can also recruit and get players prepared for the NBA (i.e. Westbrook).

Until around 2014 or 2015 when John CaliparI had a large group of players go to the NBA, Howland had put more players into the NBA than Calipari.
Howland has deep connections with Adidas and they had influence in all those players like Love to go to UCLA.  How do you think Reggie Perry ended up at an Adidas school? Howland had more recruiting stars on his roster than we do and he hasn't done a thing in Starkville. They'll want him gone after next year if they don't make the tournament.

Pork Twain

Apathy is what I have towards basketball.  That is difficult for someone that grew up in the 80s/90s.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

GoHogs1091

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on March 17, 2018, 12:35:56 am
Howland has deep connections with Adidas and they had influence in all those players like Love to go to UCLA.  How do you think Reggie Perry ended up at an Adidas school? Howland had more recruiting stars on his roster than we do and he hasn't done a thing in Starkville.  They'll want him gone after next year if they don't make the tournament.

At least Howland won a 1st Round game in a national tournament this season, and at least his team is still in a tournament.

He is poised next season to school the SEC.  He will have a loaded and an experienced team next season, and the rest of the SEC may have a big problem because he can coach.

Wild Bill Hog

With MA we are getting it and will continue to.

AirWarren

Yup.

Torqued pork

As a coach MA wouldn't make a pimple on Nolan or Eddie's buttcheek. Anyone who wants to keep him is saying a coach who keeps us above .500 and never rocks the boat is good enough to fill the position because that's all there is to Anderson.

Pork Twain

Got it, so we should fire a football coach after 5 years for underperforming but not the basketball coach after 7 years
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

sadhogfan

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 17, 2018, 01:18:27 am
Got it, so we should fire a football coach after 5 years for underperforming but not the basketball coach after 7 years

Equating the level of success that MA has had here with what BB did is exactly the sort of nonsense I am talking about. BB had one season (BA's senior year) that would be comparable to an NCAAT season. MA has had three of those. BB has had seasons of 3 and 4 wins. MA never approached anything like that.

You can dislike Mike if you want. You can wish that he were an elite coach. Heck, I do. But comparing what he has done here to what BB did here is nonsense, pure and simple.

HogBreath

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 17, 2018, 12:55:29 am
At least Howland won a 1st Round game in a national tournament this season, and at least his team is still in a tournament.

He is poised next season to school the SEC.  He will have a loaded and an experienced team next season, and the rest of the SEC may have a big problem because he can coach.

Seems like Howland always takes Mike to the woodshed in a big way.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

LZH

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 17, 2018, 12:47:21 am
Apathy is what I have towards basketball.  That is difficult for someone that grew up in the 80s/90s.

This x 1000000. +1

raz1965

Smart people, tell me this if Mike were fired today, which he want be, please give me your evaluation of the team for the next 3 years, an don't overlook the fact about player transfers an recruit's moving on, and how the national media will tear the reputation of the administration apart for fireing a tourney coach 3 of last 4 years an the perception of future recruits. Ok smart people please tell me how thing will be better.

Captain Morgan

Coach Watkins or Coach Cleveland are more likely to get fired than Mike. These assistant coaches can't keep bragging about beating Wofford

GuvHog

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 17, 2018, 09:09:06 am
Coach Watkins or Coach Cleveland are more likely to get fired than Mike. These assistant coaches can't keep bragging about beating Wofford

Not likely to happen. Mike is VERY loyal to his assistants.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

cram224

Quote from: sadhogfan on March 17, 2018, 01:26:56 am
Equating the level of success that MA has had here with what BB did is exactly the sort of nonsense I am talking about. BB had one season (BA's senior year) that would be comparable to an NCAAT season. MA has had three of those. BB has had seasons of 3 and 4 wins. MA never approached anything like that.

You can dislike Mike if you want. You can wish that he were an elite coach. Heck, I do. But comparing what he has done here to what BB did here is nonsense, pure and simple.
The last 3 years has been like playing in the Liberty Bowl, and going 1 and 2.

rude1

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 17, 2018, 12:55:29 am

Dude stop, why the mods let you come here with your MsState love is beyond me. Remind me again what seed did your Bulldogs get in the big dance? I would rather lose in the first round of the big dance than win the NIT........JUST STOP

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 17, 2018, 09:09:06 am

This is where the new AD needs to step up. Mike isn't leaving but he is so loyal to bad assistants that he needs to be strongly encouraged to upgrade his staff.

liljo

Quote from: maggiesue on March 16, 2018, 05:13:26 pm
Said it before and will say it again...Einstein's Theory of Insanity says "You want different results but don't change the way you do things."  Mike is a good guy but should be coaching an AAU team....this is the ceiling on bad basketball!

Let's clean the house and get a coach who can coach!  For those of you content with this bad basketball and Coach Anderson, watch the tournament play out and see how the teams that advance play fundamentally vs. the street ball Anderson plays.....it is obvious!

Wow. Let's tell the highest rated recruiting class we've had in years, all of 'em SIGNED, not just Committed, that they can take a hike. All six of 'em. Just re-open their recruiting, as they are free to go. Along with the six departing seniors, that'll certainly make for an appealing place for a new coach to come in. He (or she, of course) would be guaranteed to start completely over, rock bottom. You want to "clean house", well, that'd sure do it! And with our increasingly hostile fan-base, we should be looking at having a winning program in, oh, say, 5-7 years. Maybe.

Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

GuvHog

Quote from: liljo on March 17, 2018, 10:03:07 am
Wow. Let's tell the highest rated recruiting class we've had in years, all of 'em SIGNED, not just Committed, that they can take a hike. All six of 'em. Just re-open their recruiting, as they are free to go. Along with the six departing seniors, that'll certainly make for an appealing place for a new coach to come in. He (or she, of course) would be guaranteed to start completely over, rock bottom. You want to "clean house", well, that'd sure do it! And with our increasingly hostile fan-base, we should be looking at having a winning program in, oh, say, 5-7 years. Maybe.

It isn't that highly rated.

liljo

Quote from: GuvHog on March 17, 2018, 10:09:19 am
It isn't that highly rated.

And you dismiss the rest of the post with that? Five of the players have composites of over .9000 and the lowest is .8800.

Six departing seniors. Gafford likely to go. Just tell the signed class, "adios. We are starting over. Doesn't matter to us what the national media says about our disloyal and disgruntled redneck fans. We are going to go hire a Top-10 Coach, and he'll turn this thing around in two years. And if he doesn't, we'll fire his A$$ too, because, while we may look like complete dumbA$$es, we're not."

Yeah. What coach wouldn't see that as an attractive job?

Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

PonderinHog

Pitt of Misery ???

cram224

Quote from: liljo on March 17, 2018, 10:17:01 am
And you dismiss the rest of the post with that? Five of the players have composites of over .9000 and the lowest is .8800.

Six departing seniors. Gafford likely to go. Just tell the signed class, "adios. We are starting over. Doesn't matter to us what the national media says about our disloyal and disgruntled redneck fans. We are going to go hire a Top-10 Coach, and he'll turn this thing around in two years. And if he doesn't, we'll fire his A$$ too, because, while we may look like complete dumbA$$es, we're not."

Been looking on the top 100 lists can't seem to find them.

If they are signed, they are coming regardless who the coach is.

Of course, Anderson is going to be their coach. He needs more time, I'm hearing that Derek Hood has a 10 year old son that Mike will be able to get in 8 years.

MtPorker

if you only care about winning, call pitino, but who would replace mike?  I think its time for a change, but change for only change sake is not good

GuvHog

Quote from: liljo on March 17, 2018, 10:17:01 am

There were those who swore up and down that Houston Nutt's firing would set the football program back 10 years, yet 4 years later under Petrino the team finished #5 in the nation. I've heard your spill before and I don't buy it.

GuvHog

Quote from: MtPorker on March 17, 2018, 10:50:23 am
if you only care about winning, call pitino, but who would replace mike?  I think its time for a change, but change for only change sake is not good

Would you consider Billy Donovan good??

Illinihog

Quote from: raz1965 on March 17, 2018, 09:02:26 am
Smart people, tell me this if Mike were fired today, which he want be, please give me your evaluation of the team for the next 3 years, an don't overlook the fact about player transfers an recruit's moving on, and how the national media will tear the reputation of the administration apart for fireing a tourney coach 3 of last 4 years an the perception of future recruits. Ok smart people please tell me how thing will be better.

I won't claim to be smart, but if you follow and pay attention to most of the college writers they don't care for Mike Anderson.  They make jokes about Mike Anderson.  When we lose a game we shouldn't or when we continue to struggle on the road  national writers make jokes about him. 
They may take shots at the administration for firing him, but they also all mock him as well.