Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FAMU to ride bus to the Rock

Started by Hogopolis, August 06, 2017, 11:19:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggish1

It keeps getting more unfair each year.  I know schools like that need the revenue to carry on but enough is enough...

Hoggish1

Quote from: GuvHog on August 06, 2017, 12:40:06 pm
The stadium isn't crappy but it isn't close to being on the same level with DWRRS either.

I've been there and crappy is maybe too nice a word to use for that place.

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 07, 2017, 03:23:01 pm
It's a crappy situation for FAMU for sure.

However, road trips can be awesome.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on August 08, 2017, 07:18:10 am
I've been there and crappy is maybe too nice a word to use for that place.

You must been wearing a blinder then because it isn't crappy.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Redhogs

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 06, 2017, 08:45:13 pm
Who shares in the reward of these overmatched teams getting their brains beaten out for a paycheck?  The coaches in the form of higher salaries?  The administrators?   Apparently not the players, who after years of the school scheduling these drubbings are still riding a bus halfway across the country to play four days after their last game.

This type of matchup is one of the very worst things about college football.  I can't believe anyone enjoys this aspect of the game.
Agreed...don't the Hogs ride the bus to this "home" game also?  Crazy stupid...on so many levels.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

farmhawg

Quote from: Mike_e on August 06, 2017, 11:32:20 am
That sux.

They may be an opponent but no one should have to go through that.
Payday, suck it up....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: zebradynasty on August 07, 2017, 03:52:29 pm
Why because they choose not to fly the entire team for a game that means NOTHING but a 750K payout! You think Title XI has been a monster for P-5 schools...think what it does for your lower tier schools.

Which, from a strictly financial standpoint, is why they should drop football, or at least drop to a division where it is not a scholarship sport. Then they would not have to balance that with a women's sport, which loses money AND requires scholarships.

What I mean about pretending is those schools that keep pretending they are FBS or in many cases even FCS level in football. IF you have to travel from Florida to Arkansas, by land, sea or air, for a 750K payout, then you are pretending. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on August 08, 2017, 09:41:51 am
Which, from a strictly financial standpoint, is why they should drop football, or at least drop to a division where it is not a scholarship sport. Then they would not have to balance that with a women's sport, which loses money AND requires scholarships.

What I mean about pretending is those schools that keep pretending they are FBS or in many cases even FCS level in football. IF you have to travel from Florida to Arkansas, by land, sea or air, for a 750K payout, then you are pretending.

By your criteria you just eliminated majority of programs outside of the P-5 and probably a few them too! The train left a long time ago there is no way to get big money out of NCAA sports. It has created the haves and have nots.  Even UA is looking for payout games do you really think they would be looking at schools like Michigan and Notre Dame if it wasn't for the money?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: zebradynasty on August 08, 2017, 10:04:45 am
By your criteria you just eliminated majority of programs outside of the P-5 and probably a few them too! The train left a long time ago there is no way to get big money out of NCAA sports. It has created the haves and have nots.  Even UA is looking for payout games do you really think they would be looking at schools like Michigan and Notre Dame if it wasn't for the money?

I think it's simple, it's became  necessary to play at least one power team, not for money but prestige.  Don't all the elite team do it?  Do you think they do it for money?  Yes of course money is involved but that has little to do with why they don't just play another rent a team at home ever year where they would maximize their earnings.

hogsanity

Quote from: zebradynasty on August 08, 2017, 10:04:45 am

Of course those games are about money, but in a different way. Those are maximizing revenue, and both teams get a home game out of the deal. Arkansas is not simply going on the road 2 or3 times a year to get slaughtered for a check.

I have contended for a long time that the highest level of football needs to be no more than 80 teams, divided into 4-6 conferences. Everyone else needs to be fcs or a division lower, divide up geographically, get whatever media money they can get, and go play.

And yes, I would kick about half the teams out of the current FBS level. Teams like Eastern Michigan, Buffalo, Akron ( since joining d1 in 1987 they have 8 winning seasons & have only won more than 7 games 1 time ) being fbs is a joke. Often they only meet the criteria to stay fbs because of playing loose with the rules on what counts as a home game, how they count attendance, etc
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on August 08, 2017, 10:23:05 am
Of course those games are about money, but in a different way. Those are maximizing revenue, and both teams get a home game out of the deal. Arkansas is not simply going on the road 2 or3 times a year to get slaughtered for a check.

I have contended for a long time that the highest level of football needs to be no more than 80 teams, divided into 4-6 conferences. Everyone else needs to be fcs or a division lower, divide up geographically, get whatever media money they can get, and go play.

And yes, I would kick about half the teams out of the current FBS level. Teams like Eastern Michigan, Buffalo, Akron ( since joining d1 in 1987 they have 8 winning seasons & have only won more than 7 games 1 time ) being fbs is a joke. Often they only meet the criteria to stay fbs because of playing loose with the rules on what counts as a home game, how they count attendance, etc

FAMU is maximizing their revenue! No team in their conference will earn them a 750K pay day. Just because Arkansas has a better chance of winning it's pad day game (debatable). Doesn't make their intention any more noble. Notre Dame football been around 200 years why play them now...because of the money. Prestige...maybe but neither program has been top to the mountain in decades so it is what is, a good way to earn money and get some exposure. Same as FAMU.

hogsanity

Quote from: zebradynasty on August 08, 2017, 10:56:10 am
FAMU is maximizing their revenue! No team in their conference will earn them a 750K pay day. Just because Arkansas has a better chance of winning it's pad day game (debatable). Doesn't make their intention any more noble. Notre Dame football been around 200 years why play them now...because of the money. Prestige...maybe but neither program has been top to the mountain in decades so it is what is, a good way to earn money and get some exposure. Same as FAMU.

Arkansas does not have to play ND to keep their program afloat, FAMU has to do this 3 or 4 times a year just to have a program.

yraciv

Alex Wood is their head coach??? Didn't realize he was an Iowa guy like CBB, and had landed a HC job.

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on August 08, 2017, 11:18:46 am
Arkansas does not have to play ND to keep their program afloat, FAMU has to do this 3 or 4 times a year just to have a program.

Actually the only money game FAMU plays is with the UA all the other games on the schedule are against HBCU's. I am surprised that FAMU has enough players on scholarship to be able to play against a FBS team. 

hawgmasta

longtimeHogfan

Depending on the type of bus it could be worse.  In a Greyhound type bus they can lean back, stretch out and move around a bit.  Not the way I'd choose to travel but, hey...they don't have our budget. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

factchecker

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on August 09, 2017, 06:39:00 am
Not the way I'd choose to travel but, hey...they don't have our budget.

Our team will be taking a bus to the game as well.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogsanity

Quote from: factchecker on August 09, 2017, 06:42:24 am
Our team will be taking a bus to the game as well.

HOgs have to pay for this game twice, a check to FAMU and then I guess they still pay to rent the stadium for a home game, maybe FAMU is the smarter program.

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on August 09, 2017, 09:02:37 am
HOgs have to pay for this game twice, a check to FAMU and then I guess they still pay to rent the stadium for a home game, maybe FAMU is the smarter program.

No doubt FAMU is smarter in this case! The insane idea of not playing in-state schools. If UAPB was able why send 750K back to Florida?

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on August 09, 2017, 09:09:53 am
No doubt FAMU is smarter in this case! The insane idea of not playing in-state schools. If UAPB was able why send 750K back to Florida?

Pretty sure the University of Arkansas system sends UAPB  a lot of money annually. 😋

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on August 09, 2017, 09:17:24 am
Pretty sure the University of Arkansas system sends UAPB  a lot of money annually. 😋

Right and in return UAPB provides the UA a way to accomplish a mission that the UA can't or doesn't want to do. What return does UA get sending money to Florida?

hogsanity

Quote from: zebradynasty on August 09, 2017, 09:38:00 am
Right and in return UAPB provides the UA a way to accomplish a mission that the UA can't or doesn't want to do. What return does UA get sending money to Florida?

what return do they get sending money to UAPB?

Why doesn't Ohio State just play 4 instate schools every year for their OOC games? Michigan could do the same, as could all the Texas schools, California schools, Louisiana & Florida schools too. Lousiana legislature had to pass a law making LSU play the instate schools on a rotating basis. If Texas was not in the same conf with other in state schools, they would never play, same for Cali schools. The Florida schools play, but those games often help their schedule strength.

ricepig

What mission would that be?

hobhog

Florida coverage on TV and newspapers for Hogs. Not hard to understand.

Grizzlyfan

The sucky part of this deal isn't the bus ride.  It's the Saturday - Thursday turnaround.  No one should have to do that.

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on August 09, 2017, 09:49:41 am
What mission would that be?

Providing educational and athletic scholarships opportunities for minorities that cannot afford or qualify to go to UA.

zebradynasty

Quote from: hobhog on August 09, 2017, 09:50:22 am
Florida coverage on TV and newspapers for Hogs. Not hard to understand.

You honestly believe the lead story for media is going to be the 70-0 win? Beating FAMU does NOTHING to improve our standing in Florida.

pigture perfect

Quote from: HamSammich on August 06, 2017, 07:22:22 pm
It's not like they are on a bus to Belize. They'll be fine

Wait... I guess it depends on where in LR they get off the bus at. It could be like Belize
Hey, I'm from Belize and I resent that! 😡😃
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hogsanity

Quote from: zebradynasty on August 09, 2017, 10:04:56 am
Providing educational and athletic scholarships opportunities for minorities that cannot afford or qualify to go to UA.

Umm, that happens anyway.

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on August 09, 2017, 10:13:06 am
Umm, that happens anyway.

Some but not much. Let me rephrase:

hogsanity

Quote from: zebradynasty on August 09, 2017, 10:19:57 am
Some but not much. Let me rephrase:

I do not follow unless you are saying that by playing UAPB we could GIVE free tuition to some kids who can't get into school. Otherwise, there are MANY opportunities for minority kids to get grants and scholarships if they meet the admission requirements of grades and test scores.

factchecker

Quote from: hogsanity on August 09, 2017, 10:26:18 am
I do not follow unless you are saying that by playing UAPB we could GIVE free tuition to some kids who can't get into school. Otherwise, there are MANY opportunities for minority kids to get grants and scholarships if they meet the admission requirements of grades and test scores.

Here is one example:

Silas Hunt Scholarship

Annual award up to $5000 or $8000 per year
Renewable for 4 years (5 years for Architecture and MAT students) with 30 hours per year and 3.00 GPA
Awarded to students from underrepresented communities who have demonstrated outstanding academic leadership qualities and potential. Members of underrepresented communities include but are not limited to: students from underrepresented ethnic or minority groups, students with interest in a field that does not typically attract members of their ethnicity or gender, students who reside in an underrepresented county in Arkansas, and first-generation college students.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

zebradynasty

You're comparing apples to oranges. UAPB has an open enrollment policy meaning if you can graduate high school and have the money or get grants or loans they'll basically admit you. UA...no it's not like that and though it's not the strictest in the nation or anything like that a lot kids many kids that cannot meet those standard go to UAPB or UAM. Like I said before two different schools with different missions.

The Silas Hunt is a great scholarship but how many students get one? Last I saw UA has just over a 1000 black students. Now if you took away those that were there on athletic scholarships...I realize that athletes must meet the enrollment criteria just like everyone else. UA and UAPB need each other to provide as many educational opportunities as they can. So when you say UA sends money to UAPB it's not accurate and misleading it's the University SYSTEM. I get that if Fayetteville wants to send 750K of their money earned to Florida it's their prerogative but that same 750K good be used to benefit of helping other schools in the system. I see no such benefit sending it to FAMU.

hogsanity

Quote from: zebradynasty on August 09, 2017, 10:53:10 am
You're comparing apples to oranges. UAPB has an open enrollment policy meaning if you can graduate high school and have the money or get grants or loans they'll basically admit you. UA...no it's not like that and though it's not the strictest in the nation or anything like that a lot kids many kids that cannot meet those standard go to UAPB or UAM. Like I said before two different schools with different missions.

The Silas Hunt is a great scholarship but how many students get one? Last I saw UA has just over a 1000 black students. Now if you took away those that were there on athletic scholarships...I realize that athletes must meet the enrollment criteria just like everyone else. UA and UAPB need each other to provide as many educational opportunities as they can. So when you say UA sends money to UAPB it's not accurate and misleading it's the University SYSTEM. I get that if Fayetteville wants to send 750K of their money earned to Florida it's their prerogative but that same 750K good be used to benefit of helping other schools in the system. I see no such benefit sending it to FAMU.

What would help alot of schools in the system is to stop spending $ on football. It is a money pit for most schools. Even alot of fbs level teams lose money on football.

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on August 09, 2017, 10:58:43 am
What would help alot of schools in the system is to stop spending $ on football. It is a money pit for most schools. Even alot of fbs level teams lose money on football.

Probably...but that's a separate argument and your solution of closing all programs down that are not financially solvent, will never happen

hogsanity

Quote from: zebradynasty on August 09, 2017, 11:06:17 am
Probably...but that's a separate argument and your solution of closing all programs down that are not financially solvent, will never happen

It is not a solution, because I know it will never happen. But to bemoan the plight of schools that continue to throw $ down the football hole is a bit misleading. If they were not dropping however much they are on football, think how many more scholarships they could award for academics.

ricepig

The policy is not to play in-state schools, I don't think any of us expect it to change anytime soon. As for "keeping" the money in-state, we all use the same currency across the nation, it doesn't matter what state you receive it in, lol.

ricepig

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on August 09, 2017, 11:11:12 am
It is not a solution, because I know it will never happen. But to bemoan the plight of schools that continue to throw $ down the football hole is a bit misleading. If they were not dropping however much they are on football, think how many more scholarships they could award for academics.

Not really disagreeing with you on that other than that's not the reality of the situation. At any rate the question of UA playing UAPB is mute for two reason by State Law and the NCAA forbids it because UAPB currently doesn't have enough scholarship players.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: ricepig on August 09, 2017, 11:13:26 am
The policy is not to play in-state schools, I don't think any of us expect it to change anytime soon. As for "keeping" the money in-state, we all use the same currency across the nation, it doesn't matter what state you receive it in, lol.

The "keeping" money in state argument is the possibly the most fallacious of all the ones trotted out as a reason to play an in-state program.

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on August 09, 2017, 09:02:37 am

I don't think the U of A pays rent to play in WMS any more. I believe the U of A gets the ticket money while WMS gets the concession money and non-reserved parking money.

zebradynasty

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 09, 2017, 11:40:09 am
The "keeping" money in state argument is the possibly the most fallacious of all the ones trotted out as a reason to play an in-state program.

Explain?

factchecker

Quote from: GuvHog on August 09, 2017, 11:41:04 am
I don't think the U of A pays rent to play in WMS any more. I believe the U of A gets the ticket money while WMS gets the concession money and non-reserved parking money.

You are correct about the rental fee being waived:

QuoteArkansas won't, however, pay a rental fee for the 2017 and 2018 games; it has been paying $75,000 per game

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/10043834/arkansas-razorbacks-cut-back-games-war-memorial-stadium
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogsanity

Quote from: factchecker on August 09, 2017, 11:51:55 am
You are correct about the rental fee being waived:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/10043834/arkansas-razorbacks-cut-back-games-war-memorial-stadium

They should not have to give up concessions either, but thankfully that becomes a moot point after 2018 as well. Unless they do something really stupid like extend the contract.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

factchecker

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 09, 2017, 12:17:19 pm
Shows they were paying $400,000/YR for three years under that agreement.

I think that was so we could reduce games from 2 to 1 at WMS.  It was pretty much a buyout.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on August 09, 2017, 12:07:52 pm
They should not have to give up concessions either, but thankfully that becomes a moot point after 2018 as well. Unless they do something really stupid like extend the contract.

Sure the should give up concessions at WMS. The concession stands there are owned, stocked an operated by WMS so they should get that money. Now if the U of A was stocking and running those concession stands, I would agree with you.

I'd doubt the U of A signs a new contract with WMS. If they were, one would think that negotiations would be in progress and the media would know it.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on August 09, 2017, 12:23:43 pm
Sure the should give up concessions at WMS. The concession stands there are owned, stocked an operated by WMS so they should get that money. Now if the U of A was stocking and running those concession stands, I would agree with you.

I'd doubt the U of A signs a new contract with WMS. If they were, one would think that negotiations would be in progress and the media would know it.

Did you know they were in discussions to cut back to one game, when they made the other reductions?

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 09, 2017, 12:40:24 pm
Did you know they were in discussions to cut back to one game, when they made the other reductions?

Yes, the media released the news that the U of A athletic department was in negotiations with WMS before the reductions happened. Heck, the whole state knew that there was going to be a special meeting of the BOT where Frank was going to present the plans for the renovation and expansion of Razorback Stadium and the first reduction of games in WMS.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on August 09, 2017, 12:23:43 pm

If the Hogs were not playing there, nothing would be being sold.