Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Curl

Started by Piggfoot, November 11, 2017, 06:28:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

Is curl backsliding or is he now playing better players And getting beaten.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

RebelliousHog

More likely better players combined with being a freshman with lackluster coaching
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

hawgmasta

And I bet the grind of the sec schedule being his first season is starting to wear on him.

3kgthog

Freshman on a really bad team. Not much more to it than that.

FANONTHEHILL

Freshman, even 9 games into the year are susceptible to double moves.  Combine that with 9 games worth of film to show your weaknesses, and these things happen. Curl is an excellent player that happened to have a couple bad looks today . He will be fine and his future is bright. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

ricepig

Better players, and gun shy from the PI's, you have to forget those and stay aggressive.

buldozer

Overall I think he has done a fair job. He was thrust into being a starter with no college experience to speak of and has had minimal coaching and no motivation. I look at it as though he has done what he has so far on his own. No telling what this kid will do next year when he gets a real coach and is motivated to play his best.

ricepig

Quote from: buldozer on November 11, 2017, 06:36:52 pm
Overall I think he has done a fair job. He was thrust into being a starter with no college experience to speak of and has had minimal coaching and no motivation. I look at it as though he has done what he has so far on his own. No telling what this kid will do next year when he gets a real coach and is motivated to play his best.

You don't think Rhoads is a good secondary coach? I don't like the cushions we give, especially on 3rd and short, but I think the fundamentals are there.

buldozer

Yes I like Rhodes and think he is a decent coach, but the head coach has sapped the team of any motivation. And I hate the prevent defense they play so much. That may not be Rhodes call for all I know

PorcineSublime

Well, the first half TD that the TV guys attributed to him was on Tolliver, but yeah, he didn't have his best game. Having said that he probably has the most upside of any of our guys in the DBs (perhaps excepting the redshirt player). Look forward to next year where he gets actual help from the DL and LB blitzing and actually not leaving the DBs on an island for 10 seconds.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 11, 2017, 06:28:33 pm

I heard because he has slow closing speed that he would be a better Safety.   

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: PorcineSublime on November 11, 2017, 06:47:32 pm
Well, the first half TD that the TV guys attributed to him was on Tolliver, but yeah, he didn't have his best game. Having said that he probably has the most upside of any of our guys in the DBs (perhaps excepting the redshirt player). Look forward to next year where he gets actual help from the DL and LB blitzing and actually not leaving the DBs on an island for 10 seconds.

Correct.  Both corners were beaten deep by Chark. It's tough with limited pressure up front.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

ricepig

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 06:50:01 pm
I heard because he has slow closing speed that he would be a better Safety.   

I thought he was a safety coming out of high school, but apparently he's a CB.

1highhog

Quote from: buldozer on November 11, 2017, 06:40:25 pm
Yes I like Rhodes and think he is a decent coach, but the head coach has sapped the team of any motivation. And I hate the prevent defense they play so much. That may not be Rhodes call for all I know

I think people are giving Rhoads to much credit, he may be a decent coach but by no means a great coach.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: 1highhog on November 11, 2017, 06:52:55 pm
I think people are giving Rhoads to much credit, he may be a decent coach but by no means a great coach.

I don't know if Rhoads is a great, good or decent DC but if he doesn't have the right players and some depth he can not do much especially if CBB hand cuffs him by making him play HIS bend but not break defense.  But Rhoads has coached some very good defenses at other places. 

code red

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 11, 2017, 06:28:33 pm
Yes
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

buldozer

Quote from: 1highhog on November 11, 2017, 06:52:55 pm
Decent he is.....

GunnerHawg70

Freshman mistake...I still believe he's the best man on man cover guy in the Hogs defensive backfield...Tolliver got beat up pretty bad today...Santos is the emotional leader but not a shutdown Safety...The grind of playing D1 ball (Curl) is probably taking a toll to a degree...WR's are getting open simply because opposing QB's have forever to throw from what I've seen...

bvillepig

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on November 11, 2017, 07:14:04 pm
Freshman mistake...I still believe he's the best man on man cover guy in the Hogs defensive backfield...Tolliver got beat up pretty bad today...Santos is the emotional leader but not a shutdown Safety...The grind of playing D1 ball (Curl) is probably taking a toll to a degree...WR's are getting open simply because opposing QB's have forever to throw from what I've seen...

It was a freshman mistake. He bit on the third and 9 when the WR jukes him and blew by him. Curl has done a nice job for a true freshman.  He and Pulley will make the new coach look good next year.

Potosihog

Best looking CB on the team.  He just got beat a couple times today.  The upper class man on the other side of the field gets beat way more frequently

Cave City Joe

Plus the ref's have made a few bad calls on him and not just today.  I think he is a little gun shy, frickin Bama can knock you down and they won't call anything on them
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra