Started by bolo, December 05, 2018, 06:54:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bolo

just eating the head.i'll hang up and listen
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

Mr.Swine89

That's a raccoon. Get you a live trap and put a few marshmallows in there and catch it.

Mr.Swine89

Raccoons are very clever and smart, so your trap may need to be as well.

How are your hens housed at night?

bolo

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on December 06, 2018, 10:48:55 am
Raccoons are very clever and smart, so your trap may need to be as well.

How are your hens housed at night?
they are in a pen, a coon could get in pretty easy
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ

bolo

ihave a few traps, i will catch the little motherfather
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ

Mr.Swine89

Good luck. Marshmallows or seafood will draw them in easily. Make sure when you dispose of the animal that you release it a long way away from your house or it will just make its way back. If you kill it, be humane 👍.

I had a momma coon for months just hanging out causing no issues with my birds. Then one night, she killed 4. I trapped her and hauled her off about 2 miles down the road to a creek. She was back in a month and tried the same crap again. This time, an electric fence put the fear of God in her and she hasn't been back. Other problem coons I've had to just shoot. They're pretty unique little creatures.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on December 06, 2018, 10:30:32 pm
Good luck. Marshmallows or seafood will draw them in easily. Make sure when you dispose of the animal that you release it a long way away from your house or it will just make its way back. If you kill it, be humane 👍.

I had a momma coon for months just hanging out causing no issues with my birds. Then one night, she killed 4. I trapped her and hauled her off about 2 miles down the road to a creek. She was back in a month and tried the same crap again. This time, an electric fence put the fear of God in her and she hasn't been back. Other problem coons I've had to just shoot. They're pretty unique little creatures.
I had a young coon trying to figure out how to get at my ribs on the smoker one day. Called the Agfc dispatcher and he told me to shoot it. Asked if he would vouch for me shooting a gun in city limits and he paused and goes "got a bow?" 

Tigerloather

Be careful!  I've seen skunks do this as well.
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity - Frank Leahy

HawgWild

Years back, when I had chickens, I remember going out and finding only their feet. Never came across what you've described.

AcornHunter

The following makes me say possum:

A few years ago I was fattenin some young roosters in a cattle panel enclosure with no top on it.  I had clipped the wings to keep them from flyin out.

On into the fattenin, I started to lose birds.  Only the head was missing.  I sat a double-door live trap just outside the pen.  Next morning I had Mr. Possum.  The bait was a fishy bait; I can't remember just what, but probably cheap sardines.

Wayne Watson

A mink or a weasel will only attack the heads...
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

AcornHunter

The old country saw:

Everything likes chicken, even chickens, sho nuff be true.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

You need to arm your chickens.  Get 'em a set of those Mexican Fighting Spurs."  Do that and your roosters will be walking around looking for trouble and that weasel will get his comeuppance.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

bolo

Quote from: AcornHunter on December 14, 2018, 08:36:04 am

A few years ago I was fattenin some young roosters in a cattle panel enclosure with no top on it.  I had clipped the wings to keep them from flyin out.

On into the fattenin, I started to lose birds.  Only the head was missing.  I sat a double-door live trap just outside the pen.  Next morning I had Mr. Possum.  The bait was a fishy bait; I can't remember just what, but probably cheap sardines.

this sounds likely
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ

Wayne Watson

Quote from: AcornHunter on December 14, 2018, 08:36:04 am

You can make a text book dirt hole set or any other set and a possum will be the first thing you catch.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bolo

i caught a possum and the killings have stopped
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ

twistitup

Quote from: bolo on January 31, 2019, 05:08:58 am
i caught a possum and the killings have stopped

Did you eat it? It's a bit like getting your chickens back.

Eat the animal that ate the chickens.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

bolo

Quote from: twistitup on January 31, 2019, 05:50:11 am

lol
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: twistitup on January 31, 2019, 05:50:11 am

Opossum is really greasy.
This is my non-signature signature.

twistitup

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on February 03, 2019, 04:01:32 pm
Opossum is really greasy.

It is... that is the only negative. Tasty but greasy. A young coon is my preference but possum works in a pinch.

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

PonderinHog

Quote from: twistitup on February 03, 2019, 05:14:33 pm
It is... that is the only negative. Tasty but greasy. A young coon is my preference but possum works in a pinch.
I've never had it, but according to family lore, catch 'em live, and feed 'em grain and fresh buttermilk for a week or so (no tellin' what they've been eating) and they'll taste better.  But still greasy.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 03, 2019, 06:35:40 pm
I've never had it, but according to family lore, catch 'em live, and feed 'em grain and fresh buttermilk for a week or so (no tellin' what they've been eating) and they'll taste better.  But still greasy.

My Great Aunt did that
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Großer Kriegschwein

My great great grandfather used to love opossum.

Granny made him cook it outside.

I saw a opossum crawl out the ass of a dead cow once... Ruined me for opossum forever.
This is my non-signature signature.

micali

Sounds like an opossum.  Coons will literally eat the entire thing.  Owls will eat only the head if it gets the opportunity.

leroyhawg

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on December 06, 2018, 10:47:48 am
That's a raccoon. Get you a live trap and put a few marshmallows in there and catch it.
Skunks do that as well
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

bondhue

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 03, 2019, 06:35:40 pm
There for a minute I thought I was reading on an Arkansas sports forum.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.