Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dissapointing in Basketball Play ,Why did they play poorly??

Started by Mrcoolhog55, November 24, 2012, 10:09:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrcoolhog55

Disappointing in Basketball play, Why did they play poorly?? Come on man they played poorly, and lost both games. The Hogs had a 40-29 lead at halftime, and just bl owed it in the second half. They quit playing Hairball, and let Wisconsin play their game. They hit 3-4 3 point baskets, and Mike did not make any adjustments at halftime. If I were Mike I would be mad, and make them work hard in practice, and work their butt off. Then they would not want to loaf around while their opponent comes back on them.... 0-2 2 losses so far- not good.... Mike needs to get this team turned around soon, before Syracuse comes to town, or they will beat us too. They only made 5 points at one stretch of the game in early second half. Mike gave excuses, and ask us Hog fans for patience, but how can we when this team plays so poorly....

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

cobbs34

Biggest problem I saw was they have a lack of spacing on the offensive end of the floor. They just run into each others way all the time.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Mrcoolhog55 on November 24, 2012, 10:09:36 pm
Disappointing in Basketball play, Why did they play poorly?? Come on man they played poorly, and lost both games. The Hogs had a 40-29 lead at halftime, and just bl owed it in the second half. They quit playing Hairball, and let Wisconsin play their game. They hit 3-4 3 point baskets, and Mike did not make any adjustments at halftime. If I were Mike I would be mad, and make them work hard in practice, and work their butt off. Then they would not want to loaf around while their opponent comes back on them.... 0-2 2 losses so far- not good.... Mike needs to get this team turned around soon, before Syracuse comes to town, or they will beat us too. They only made 5 points at one stretch of the game in early second half. Mike gave excuses, and ask us Hog fans for patience, but how can we when this team plays so poorly....

Recommended for all of MA's players ...

Mrcoolhog55

OK I misspelled again , my mistake , I meant HAWGBALL, NOT HAIRBALL. EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE i WILL HIT THE WRONG KEY-LETTER BUTTON....  Sorry about that....

Danny J

A lot of reasons they are playing poorly. You can watch the game and it is pretty obvious. I also knew we were going to have issues. I figured we would split in vegas and hoping we could go 3-2 or 2-3 at worst against the 2 in vegas and cuse/ou/michigan. I still think we can beat syracuse and ou. No way we beat michigan on the road. Just expect this season to have ups and downs. If we don't establish some mental toughness we won't make the tournament.

Rooster Hogburn

Quote from: Mrcoolhog55 on November 24, 2012, 11:00:08 pm
OK I misspelled again , my mistake , I meant HAWGBALL, NOT HAIRBALL. EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE i WILL HIT THE WRONG KEY-LETTER BUTTON....  Sorry about that....
It made more sense the other way. Nice post.
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

Brand X Hog Fan

We'll be ok. We are playing a lot of freshmen and the big guys were frustrating Powell to no end. We need to increase our 3 point threat just a little and open the middle up some in those types of games where the bigs are dominating. If you ask me, we were tense against AZ State and that led to missed layups etc. Against Wisc we were a bit looser but managed to shoot ourselves in the foot by missed free throws and foul (ticky-tac) trouble. Syracuse in the Bud will be a different story. I might be pumping sunshine but I am looking for these guys to make some noise in the conference this year.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

alohawg

You need a shooters chance to win any game- we severely lack shooters, wins will be few.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

checkraiser88

Quote from: alohawg on November 25, 2012, 01:17:04 pm
You need a shooters chance to win any game- we severely lack shooters, wins will be few.

THIS!

jry04

What do you mean by few? We will win the 18 we won last year, if not more.

Trent3322

Marshawn Powell is killing us as well. Had 2 points against Arizona State. In foul trouble. When he is not on the floor we have no low post scoring what so ever. We struggle to get rebounds. We can't hardly play defensive possession without fouling. Small little things that should be fixed.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Trent3322 on November 25, 2012, 01:27:52 pm
Marshawn Powell is killing us as well. Had 2 points against Arizona State. In foul trouble. When he is not on the floor we have no low post scoring what so ever. We struggle to get rebounds. We can't hardly play defensive possession without fouling. Small little things that should be fixed.

Remember, this was his first time facing quality big men in over 2 years. Had 4 cupcakes in 2011 and another 5 this year.

He will adjust....hopefully.

alohawg

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 25, 2012, 01:24:05 pm
What do you mean by few? We will win the 18 we won last year, if not more.

The object is to outscore the opponent- put the ball through the hoop, generally requiring skill at this level- we lack players with this skill thus we will not win a lot of games. My guess 15-17 range unless things change for the better.

I hope to be proven wrong, big time.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

Swinesong1

Quote from: alohawg on November 25, 2012, 01:40:33 pm
The object is to outscore the opponent- put the ball through the hoop, generally requiring skill at this level- we lack players with this skill thus we will not win a lot of games. My guess 15-17 range unless things change for the better.

I hope to be proven wrong, big time.
Ok let's not get carried away! At worst we will have 8 wins going into conference play.  Are you saying we won't beat Vandy (play 2x), Auburn (play 2x), Ms St, USC, GA, LSU or TX A&M (play 2x)?  I see 10 wins right there.

alohawg

Quote from: Swinesong1 on November 25, 2012, 01:51:04 pm
Ok let's not get carried away! At worst we will have 8 wins going into conference play.  Are you saying we won't beat Vandy (play 2x), Auburn (play 2x), Ms St, USC, GA, LSU or TX A&M (play 2x)?  I see 10 wins right there.

lol, just having fun, it is a game we're talking about......what I witnessed so far though is not very encouraging, at all.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

RockChalkJayhawk

No, we definitely do not lack shooters.  We lack makers.  Big difference.

Total random shot-selection and forced, early offense isn't going to cut it against good teams. This team is an offensive work in progress and as they struggle to find themselves there, it would certainly help if they would quit fouling on the defensive end of the court.  Combined, these two ingredients are a formula for disaster.

alohawg

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on November 25, 2012, 01:54:36 pm
No, we definitely do not lack shooters.  We lack makers.  Big difference.

Total random shot-selection and forced, early offense isn't going to cut it against good teams. This team is an offensive work in progress and as they struggle to find themselves there, it would certainly help if they would quit fouling on the defensive end of the court.  Combined, these two ingredients are a formula for disaster.

Ha ha, OK. Do you play ball?
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: alohawg on November 25, 2012, 02:00:00 pm
Ha ha, OK. Do you play ball?

I was a baller in my earlier years, yes.  Now, I am just an old coach. My post was a bit tongue-n-cheek regarding shooting and making, but honestly, there is a huge difference.  Too many of these guys have the green light.  A couple need the caution light, and several need the red light.  ;D

alohawg

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on November 25, 2012, 02:04:53 pm
I was a baller in my earlier years, yes.  Now, I am just an old coach. My post was a bit tongue-n-cheek regarding shooting and making, but honestly, there is a huge difference.  Too many of these guys have the green light.  A couple need the caution light, and several need the red light.  ;D

Agreed, some guys are 'shooters' in their mind only. I still like to run the court, keeps me young and I get a kick with the rep as a 'shooter', still. :)
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: alohawg on November 25, 2012, 02:11:51 pm
Agreed, some guys are 'shooters' in their mind only. I still like to run the court, keeps me young and I get a kick with the rep as a 'shooter', still. :)

Lucky you.  My days of running the floor, shooting off the dribble, and taking it to the rack are over.  I'm still good for a game of h-o-r-s-e and a slow-motion demonstration of footwork and fundamentals though lol.

alohawg

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on November 25, 2012, 02:15:57 pm
Lucky you.  My days of running the floor, shooting off the dribble, and taking it to the rack are over.  I'm still good for a game of h-o-r-s-e and a slow-motion demonstration of footwork and fundamentals though lol.

Happens to all of us eventually but I think the love of the game never goes away. I dread the day I'm irrelevant.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

SixtySecondsOfPitino

Quote from: alohawg on November 25, 2012, 02:20:01 pm
Happens to all of us eventually but I think the love of the game never goes away. I dread the day I'm irrelevant.

alohawg

-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

moses_007

I had great hopes for this year's team, but after seeing how poorly we played in both those Vegas games, it was like we had Pelphrey all over again.  Most disappointing, since we have Syracuse, Oklahoma and Michigan coming up.  We'll be lucky to win one of those three. 

poloprince

I've said it before and i will say it again, 2013 and beyond. 
$PoLoPrInCe$

mhuff

Quote from: Brand X Hog Fan on November 25, 2012, 09:52:36 am
We'll be ok. We are playing a lot of freshmen and the big guys were frustrating Powell to no end. We need to increase our 3 point threat just a little and open the middle up some in those types of games where the bigs are dominating. If you ask me, we were tense against AZ State and that led to missed layups etc. Against Wisc we were a bit looser but managed to shoot ourselves in the foot by missed free throws and foul (ticky-tac) trouble. Syracuse in the Bud will be a different story. I might be pumping sunshine but I am looking for these guys to make some noise in the conference this year.