Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weak non-conference vs. Tough non-conference

Started by yocdaddy, November 26, 2012, 10:37:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

yocdaddy

I just wanted to point out that many fans have been calling for a tougher non-conference schedule to better prepare our Razorbacks for conference play.  Now that we are playing a tough non-conference schedule, some think we shouldn't be losing these games.  Granted, we probably shouldn't be losing an 11 point halftime lead the way we did, but to think we should be winning all of these tough non-conference games is humorous. 

We are in the middle of rebuilding our program....the middle....not the bottom...not all the way back.  This is a process.  Playing a tough non-conference schedule will better prepare us for our conference season, which means more wins overall.  The past 5-6 years we have had pretty good to terrific non-conference records, only to fail miserably in conference play.  Let's see how this works out......we know how the other works out. 

I have a feeling that neither Arizona St. nor Wisconsin will be listed as bad losses when it comes to tournament time.  Both of those teams have better prepared us for road games against the bottom half of our league.  Those games, along with the upcoming 3 games, should help us to at least 10 conference wins and a win or two in the SEC tournament.   All in all, a 20-10 record before the conference tournament against this schedule would be positive improvement.

So, which side of the fence do you fall on.......would you prefer a weak non-conference schedule or a tough non-conference schedule and why?  Just provoking some thought hopefully.....

Personally, I think it depends on the makeup of your team.  This season, our new players are playing a little more than I expected, so the schedule is probably a little ambitious.  If our vets were getting 90% of the playing time, I'd say the schedule is about right. 
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

jamie72921

I prefer a strong noncon schedule.

You know who you are as a result and don't have to wonder as you head into conference games.

Easy noncons are for experienced teams, not teams needing to grow.
Bless your heart

jry04

I would rather have a tough non-conference schedule. It will help our RPI and SOS tremendously at the end of the year. Also, the selection committee rewards teams who play tough non-conference opponents, especially when it is away from home. Just look at recent teams that have made the NCAAT with 20 or less wins. It is because they played a difficult non-conference game. It is almost better to go 10-3 or 9-4 in non-conference playing multiple top 25 teams than it is to go 13-0 against teams that won't even sniff the post season. Not only will be be prepared more for the conference, but it will help our resume.

The_Iceman

These two games will only help this team in the long run. Beating up on two more pansy teams would only cause us to create more bad habits.

Dogtown Donkey

Tough non-con is the way to go. Look at Michigan State. They play a ridiculous non-con schedule every year, always lose a couple of games during that time, but they're always right there in March. Battle-tested.

Granted, Michigan State will always have more talent than us (and a better coach), but I think that's the way to go. You need to find out who your team is early on. You won't do that playing the Florida A&M's of the world until conference season. That's when you get popped in the mouth and don't have a whole lot of time to do anything about it. It's better we get smacked around a little right now so we're ready for it come conference time.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 26, 2012, 01:46:57 pm
Tough non-con is the way to go. Look at Michigan State. They play a ridiculous non-con schedule every year, always lose a couple of games during that time, but they're always right there in March. Battle-tested.

Granted, Michigan State will always have more talent than us (and a better coach), but I think that's the way to go. You need to find out who your team is early on. You won't do that playing the Florida A&M's of the world until conference season. That's when you get popped in the mouth and don't have a whole lot of time to do anything about it. It's better we get smacked around a little right now so we're ready for it come conference time.

I think that is fine as long as you know that you will make the tourny every year.  We aren't there yet.  The best schedule you can make is ones packed with the 100-150 RPI teams.  Having a few top 20 and a few sub-300 gives you the exact same SOS, only difference is you will probably have less losses with the 100-150 RPI teams.

GatorsGators

Quote from: jamie72921 on November 26, 2012, 12:19:50 pm
I prefer a strong noncon schedule.

You know who you are as a result and don't have to wonder as you head into conference games.

Easy noncons are for experienced teams, not teams needing to grow.
lol no

Easy noncons are for teams, like South Carolina this season, who are too young to have any real tournament/postseason hopes. Beating cupcakes does nothing for your tourney resume, but it's good to get wins of any kind in large rebuilding projects.

Hard noncons are for teams who are trying to improve their tournament resume. An experienced team shouldn't be playing a weak schedule full of scrubs because that'll come back to hurt them on Selection Sunday. It's better to lose to great teams rather than beat up on SWAC opponents if you're hoping to improve your seeding/make the tourney.

jamie72921

Quote from: GatorsGators on November 26, 2012, 09:33:34 pm
lol no

Easy noncons are for teams, like South Carolina this season, who are too young to have any real tournament/postseason hopes. Beating cupcakes does nothing for your tourney resume, but it's good to get wins of any kind in large rebuilding projects.

Hard noncons are for teams who are trying to improve their tournament resume. An experienced team shouldn't be playing a weak schedule full of scrubs because that'll come back to hurt them on Selection Sunday. It's better to lose to great teams rather than beat up on SWAC opponents if you're hoping to improve your seeding/make the tourney.

Where have you been the last 3 years. Obviously you missed how well a soft noncon schedule "helped" prepare our teams for conference play.

Sorry, but that is the formula a great many "powerful" programs have employed for decades now.

Play an easy noncon schedule and then win your conference. This equals a high tourney seed AND IS ONLY WORKABLE WITH AN EXPERIENCED TEAM.

Not sure what you have watched over the years but North Carolina and Kansas aren't killing themselves in their noncon schedules.
Bless your heart

Danny J

I think we need a tough non-con schedule. This team more than anything right now is lacking mental toughness. They have to learn to overcome adversity and be mentally strong when things aren't going there way. Until that happens we are going to struggle away from BWA. That is the simple truth of the matter. I thought coming into the season with powell and bj and all the other players coming back we would be more confident and not panic. Right now I draw it up to cohesion and hope they improve but the toughness has to be there. If not it will be a repeat of last year. We will win a lot at home and get beat on the road.

DeltaBoy

Mike Anderson is doing what is right to rebuild this Hawg BB program after a decade of decline.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.